Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abortion

Options
  • 23-01-2004 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

this has probably been done many times but none the less, wots everyones opinion on abortion, is it right/wrong??

is it ok to abort 139 votes

yes, in certain circumstances
    0% 0 votes
    yes, definitely, circumstances dont matter
    43% 60 votes
    no, never, its just wrong
    38% 54 votes
    i dunno
    17% 25 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

I don't think its a matter of right and wrong.

its not up to us ... its not our UNBORN ...

un·born ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-bôrn)
    adj.
    Not yet born: an unborn child.
    Not yet appeared; future: unborn inventions

... child ... I personally believe its up to the two people who are intending on bringing this new life upon us.

are they capable or not? *this includes adoption .. some people find this difficult*...

if they are aren't ... I don't feel its up to anyone else to judge ... or decide ....

its a tough enough decision without other people judging them.

I'm a hippy at heart and I believe in free will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

isn't this a fairly serious topic to be in after hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i'm only asking peoples opinions, its only too serious if people take it too seriously..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

"It's only serious if people take it too seriously"

What other way is there to view abortion?
    Someone pull this stupid thread. The abortion debate has been done to death (no pun intended) on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

for those of you who voted no never its wrong. Do u belive a 13 year old girl who had been raped should have to give birth.You could say they could just give it up later but should a 13 year old have to go through that, i dont think so. But then again im a man so i dont know the physical/mental strains of child birth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I voted on this and wouldn't mind discussing it. However, it's not suited to After Hours remotely. Shouldn't this be on the Humanities board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

no never its just wrong.

Im not a girl but if i got raped and pregnant, i couldnt do it so im saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Up to a certain timeframe it should be legal. I couldnt tell you a specific timeframe as i dont know half enough to make an informed decision, but it would be during the period where you can be pretty sure that it isnt 'conscious'.

Oh, and this is blatantly more suited to the humanities forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Im not a girl but if i got raped and pregnant, i couldnt do it so im saying it.

Your not a girl so how the hell would you know what you'd do if you were a girl and were raped and pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

embee, myself and a number of others were discussing this on IRC the other night, I think it's unbelievable that most of the pro life/anti choice campaigners around are male!

Men, no matter how informed, educated, in touch with women can never EVER fully comprehend what it's like to become pregnant or even to have the prospect of becomming pregnant hanging over them from the time they hit puberty. It's an unbelievable thing to have to think about.

I am definitely pro choice, but even I have never had to face the difficult choices which face girls/women who become pregnant, so cannot even now make a decision as to my exact stance.

I just think that it this debate which really highlights the ignorance of certain communities, they'll use any argument to try and shock people into submission as it were, they are unwilling to listen to fact or relise that every case is different and should be dealt with accordinly.

Meh!

Too tired...

Will finish later.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by UnrealQueen
    Your not a girl so how the hell would you know what you'd do if you were a girl and were raped and pregnant.

Ive known someone in this instance. So shut the hell up.

And may i ask who are the diseases who voted circumstances do not matter - heartless bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I think under certain circumstances it is ok i.e. Rape

I have a friend who was basically raped during the summer,the man gave her drink then brought here somewhere,she did'nt no where and when she woke up in the morning she did'nt know what had happened to her,but turns out her friends were in the same building.But the man txted her later to tell her to get the morning after pill

Originally posted by Ronaldo7

Oh well you obviously know all about women then and how they think and act in all circumstances of their lives. You know all about period pains, pregnancy and childbirth. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

and that affects what she said...how exactly? did your friend go through with the pregnancy? (i'll understand if you don't want to answer in detail, its hardly the kind of personal info that should be yelled out in place of an argument on an issue)

i used to be strongly pro-life myself..then i grew up a little bit and realised how arrogant and oppressive it is to force anybody to have a child when their life is in danger or the pregnancy was forced upon them (and probably other circumstances too, but they're just the two most obvious examples)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hardly a pleasent choice, but can be a necessary one, I would presume.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i belive that, abortion is murder and murder is murder....

just my 0.02€

Originally posted by passive
    and that affects what she said...how exactly? did your friend go through with the pregnancy? (i'll understand if you don't want to answer in detail, its hardly the kind of personal info that should be yelled out in place of an argument on an issue)

i used to be strongly pro-life myself..then i grew up a little bit and realised how arrogant and oppressive it is to force anybody to have a child when their life is in danger or the pregnancy was forced upon them (and probably other circumstances too, but they're just the two most obvious examples)

She went through with the pregnancy and gave it up for adoption. She said she couldnt go ahead with an abortion. She couldnt have that on her conscience for the rest of her life. So she gave it up for adoption. Thats why im saying i totally admire her and think that its wrong to do so. This girl was only 16 at the time. And on top of that, her mother had died during the year in a car crash. So not only did she have to live with the fact her mother died, but she got raped a few months after and had a baby and gave it up for adoption. It takes a strong girl to do it. But she did it...

Originally posted by UnrealQueen
    Oh well you obviously know all about women then and how they think and act in all circumstances of their lives. You know all about period pains, pregnancy and childbirth. Congrats.

No i dont. This girl did though. And by the looks of things is clearly a stronger individual than you can ever hope to be.

I really don't think you're in a position to comment on UnrealQueen's merits as a person Ronaldo7.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

I have had two friends who were raped, very nasty business. As a bloke who will never carry a kid I cannot tell a girl that she shoud carry a baby. Both got "up the duff" and both aborted I cant balme either, you cant blame them for not wanting to carry the memory around for 9 months neither do you want a kid doorstepping you after 20 years asking "who's my daddy"

Im out of this topic now. Its such a heated topic for afterhours anyway.

Originally posted by Amz
    I really don't think you're in a position to comment on UnrealQueen's merits as a person Ronaldo7.

I agree and thanx Amz:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

ohhhh noooo,there joining forces,theres going to be a rebellion within boards

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

It's an interesting topic. Most views concentrate on the female perspective - and I have no qualms with that, but few consider the male aspect. What if a one night stand or acquaintance or girlfriend or yours became pregnant by you and wanted to abort? How would you feel? Relieved? Glad the decision was taken out of your hands? Or aggrieved because you wanted a say and were not allowed? It seems that men have to pay the "penalty" when women decide to keep the child but have very little say when they decide to abort. I was just curious if anyone has been in this situation before and had anything to say.

(Before anyone asks - I'm not trolling or baiting any feminists - it's a genuine question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Originally posted by Mr Grumpy
    It seems that men have to pay the "penalty" when women decide to keep the child but have very little say when they decide to abort.

mr grumpy makes an excellent point here, well said;)

Newband, when you say that the girl becomes pregnant by you as a result of a one night stand or whatever this a case of where the prenancy was unplanned. It think it would be difficult for a man to expect that the girl keep the baby. Granted he is entitled to certain paternal rights but I feel in this case he hadn't planned this baby and as such gives up some of these paternal rights. It's very unrealistic if the girl is physically, psychologically or otherwise not prepared for motherhood to expect her to carry a child for 9months and then (as usually happens) take responsibility for the majority of it's care and upbringing.

Clearly a one night stand situation is not a stable relationship and thus not a suitable one to bring a child into.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i haven't read the other posts but i know where i stand on this issue, kill it if you want to, i wouldn't want a kid ****ing up my life when i didn't want it.

saying that i don't believe it should be completely a womans choice if i did decide i wanted the child, i know she carries it and all but so what thats not my fault

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mr Grumpy

Amz touches on a subject I've often thought about.

Perhaps the legal eagles amoungst us can answer this question...

In a consenting situation whereby a single man gets single woman pregnant (be it as a one night stand or relationship and nobody agrees that a child is the ultimate fulfilment)

What are the legal rights and/or obligations of both parties?

No cod opinions please - this is aimed solely at people in the legal profession.

(This is not a troll nor am I taking the piss - I'm genuinely interested)

Edited cos I meant Amz - sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

well its quite simple women has all the rights, right to travel etc. she can do what ever she wants, if they want to get rid of it off to england it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement