Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin charge protests and breastfeeding

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by Meh
    :confused: Recycling has nothing to do with waste disposal policies?
    No, recycling and waste disposal policies have nothing to do with the protests, which is what we're meant to be talking about.
    So by "effective" protesting you mean what exactly?
    By effective protesting, I mean protesting that causes effects. Protest outside the Dail with the largest civil protest in the state's history, and Bertie will ignore it on the day, and turn around the following day and say he agreed with you all along and that the protest was really his idea.
    Block a few bin lorries, and you actually get a response.
    If you can't make your point without resorting to that kind of harrassment of other people, then you must not have a very good point in the first place.
    Or else you've got a government that leaves you no other choice, apart from shutting up and accepting whatever ****e gets put in your sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 (someguy)

tell those shcumbags to have one less pint or a few less cigarettes per week and stop crying about a waste charge. and i wonder how many of them are dole sponges.
    i'm sure most PAYE payers dont wanna pay for the unemployable to sit on their asses all day with their tax money, yet they begrudge paying a small waste collection fee.

Originally posted by Cork
    Do these anti bin protestors have any alternative to waste management to landfill?
    recycling ,re-use, and reduction?
    Cork, we're not talking about recycling policies or waste disposal policies.
    The government has built many civic amenity sites and bring centes around Dublin.
    And I can wiggle my little toe on it's own.
    Actually, I think that's more relevant to the argument than your statement...
    Dubliners - Recycle or Ye'd be back to "Dirty Dublin".
    "People of Ireland, rise up! You have nothing to lose but your chains!"
    What, you thought noone else could quote?
    C'mon cork, you've got at least one arguement that's relevant to the topic in there somewhere, I know you have. Come on cork, we believe in you!

Good Point. Preventing rubbish being collected is not effective protest.
    It seems to be having an effect though, doesn't it?
    And it worked the last time too - down in Cork City, didn't it cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by (someguy)
    tell those shcumbags to have one less pint or a few less cigarettes per week and stop crying about a waste charge. and i wonder how many of them are dole sponges.
    i'm sure most PAYE payers dont wanna pay for the unemployable to sit on their asses all day with their tax money, yet they begrudge paying a small waste collection fee.

Spongers?

No way.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sparks
    It seems to be having an effect though, doesn't it?
    And it worked the last time too - down in Cork City, didn't it cork?

Cork People have no problem with paying refuse charges.

Well, the vast majority of Dubliners don't either.

I hope these people are not on social welfare. I think, if they are claiming unemployment assistance/benefit - must they be available for work?
    Not to worry cork, most of them are housewives or house husbands, you have to check into the dole office to say you're available for work - not sit there all day, and if they were on social welfare, sure and wouldn't all be free under the "waiver scheme"?
    Or are you disagreeing with your own side on that?

BTW, still waiting for a decent argument from you...

Cork People have no problem with paying refuse charges.
    LIAR!
    Cork people were going to jail two years before dublin people in protests about the bin taxes, before they took the government to court and won.

BTW, still waiting for a decent argument from you...

I am waiting for the anti bin brigade to proove - where they have paid twice?

Local Authorities can charge for their services.

I have no intention of getting into a slagging match with you - as I pay for my rubbish.

I pay my taxes. I also pay for my ESB. Maybe you have paid for this too twice?

LIAR!
    Cork people were going to jail two years before dublin people in protests about the bin taxes, before they took the government to court and won.

Well - If we don;t buy our tags - It won't be taken away.

It really starts with people filling a bin.

The rubbish men will only take it away - when you buy your tag.

It is quiet simple really.

People are REPONSIBLE for the waste THEY produce.

• Advertisement

LIAR!

(Sorry, I am not aware of what they did in Cork 2 years ago - I am new to the city (Cork is a big County))ople are REPONSIBLE for the waste THEY produce.

I am waiting for the anti bin brigade to proove - where they have paid twice?
    Well, it's been shown here in this thread cork, so I gues snow we just need to wait till someone takes the government to court - again.
    Maybe it'll be someone from cork again?
    I have no intention of getting into a slagging match with you - as I pay for my rubbish.
    Slagging is where I call you names you haven't earned. But I've told you several times that it was a cork counciller that took the government to court two years ago, and that the bin tax protests were in cork at that time, and you've continued to lie about how cork people feel about the bin tax. So you're a liar. Hell, the only place you couldn't be called a liar is in the Dail, where apparently, you can only be "economical with the truth" or other such euphamisms.
    I pay my taxes. I also pay for my ESB. Maybe you have paid for this too twice?
    Nope, just the once.
    I paid twice for my waste disposal, just as you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

No, recycling and waste disposal policies have nothing to do with the protests, which is what we're meant to be talking about.
    Isn't "how do we fund it?" a critical part of any waste disposal policy?
    By effective protesting, I mean protesting that causes effects. Protest outside the Dail with the largest civil protest in the state's history, and Bertie will ignore it on the day, and turn around the following day and say he agreed with you all along and that the protest was really his idea.
    Block a few bin lorries, and you actually get a response.
    I'm confused then, as to why you blame the current government for outlawing your euphemistically named "effective protesting". There is not, and there has never been, a right to obstruct traffic on public roads in this country.

Which is why there's a protest. Which is why there was a protest in Cork. Which is why the government was taken to court. Where they lost.
    Did I mention my little toe?
    It's actually not - you see, the environment act 2003 overrules several prior acts saying that taking away waste is an essential service for the community and it must be done - and that nonpayment of the service charge must be dealt with through the courts, not by refuseing to take away the rubbish.
    Now, had FF been happy with this, the bin tax protestors would have been taken to court for nonpayment of service charges and this whole mess would have been sorted one way or another. However, they didn't. Instead, rather than risk going to court again, they decided to change the law. And now we have the same mess again, taking up time and effort that could be better used elsewhere.
    People are REPONSIBLE for the waste THEY produce.
    So how come the 2 million tonnes of waste produced annually in private homes gets so much attention, while the 78 mbillion tonnes generated by businesses and agriculture gets so little?

Pick up local newspapers in Cork. Bin charges are not an issue.

The Irish Examiner did publish yer man & the bin lorry photos today.
    There is not, and there has never been, a right to obstruct traffic on public roads in this country.

There surely has not.

A more responsible atitude to waste management is here to stay. It will involve recycling and waste reduction.

People need to accept that - as consumers we produce waste.

It is up to us to deal with it.

So how come the 2 million tonnes of waste produced annually in private homes gets so much attention, while the 78 mbillion tonnes generated by businesses and agriculture gets so little?

Businesses pay rates and commercail refuse charges.

So, Lets bring back rates?

Are you advocating this??

What is you solution with regards refuse?

Originally posted by Meh
    Isn't "how do we fund it?" a critical part of any waste disposal policy?
    Indeed. But if we're just asking "how do we fund it", the policy itself isn't under question.
    I'm confused then, as to why you blame the current government for outlawing your euphemistically named "effective protesting".
    euphimism???
    I call it effective protesting because it's protesting that's effective - where's the euphamism?
    There is not, and there has never been, a right to obstruct traffic on public roads in this country.
    True - but when the government prevents any other form of effective protest, what do you expect people to do? Lie down and assume that Bertie&Co have moral superiority? :D

True - but when the government prevents any other form of effective protest, what do you expect people to do? Lie down and assume that Bertie&Co have moral superiority? :D

Who is the arguement with?
    Bertie?
    The Government?
    Local Authorites?
    People Of Dublin?
    The Irish Courts?
    The EU?
    The World?

Pick up local newspapers in Cork. Bin charges are not an issue.
    Really?
    Try asking the Cork Anti Service Charges campaign...
    There surely has not.
    A more responsible atitude to waste management is here to stay. It will involve recycling and waste reduction.
    People need to accept that - as consumers we produce waste.
    It is up to us to deal with it.
    And all of that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Cork, you'd never have made it past the application form for a debating society :)

Businesses pay rates and commercail refuse charges.
    So, Lets bring back rates?
    Are you advocating this??
    *lol*
    Come on cork, is that the best you can do?
    What is you solution with regards refuse?
    I told you earlier. But if you're not going to listen, I'm not going to repeat it a fourth time....

• Advertisement

I don't expect, my government to pay my private waste operator.

Local Authorities have the power to impose charges.

Waste charges are common place across Europe.

Waste needs to be dealth with thru recycling.

Landfill needs to be discouraged.

From an environmental point of view charging for refuse is a good thing.

It will encourage recycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

It's a real shame to see the debate deteriorating into pure fantasy.
    The government then goes and changes the law to overrule the decision and make protesting illegal in one swoop.

It is now that the local environment bill has been railroaded through the Dail and Seanad.

Protesting effectively has been made illegal.

Protesting has not been made illegal. Blocking bin lorries is illegal - plain & simple. No amount of spin or paranoia can make it otherwise.

The charges will continue. It's just a question of how many of the little rabble of protestors are going to have to be jailed before the rest of the city can continue with 'business as normal' first.

I don't expect, my government to pay my private waste operator.
    Neither do the bin tax protestors. They do expect not to have to pay both parties for the service though.
    Local Authorities have the power to impose charges.
    According to what Act?
    Waste charges are common place across Europe.
    So are croissants.
    Waste needs to be dealth with thru recycling.
    That's got nothing to do with this argument.
    Landfill needs to be discouraged.
    That's got nothing to do with this argument.
    From an environmental point of view charging for refuse is a good thing.
    No-one's asking for a free service cork, just to only have to pay once for it.
    It will encourage recycling.
    And still it doesn't sink in.
    Cork, this argument's not about recycling, or waste management policies, or any other FF-speak platitudes.

Originally posted by RainyDay
    It's a real shame to see the debate deteriorating into pure fantasy.
    It got there pretty soon after Cork started posting, I notice.
    Is that a FF thing, or just Cork, I wonder?
    Protesting has not been made illegal. Blocking bin lorries is illegal - plain & simple. No amount of spin or paranoia can make it otherwise.
    Hang on. They're protesting by blocking bin lorries because protesting by standing outside the dail didn't work, and neither did taking the government to court. There's no spin here. This was all trashed out two years ago, and the bin tax protestors won, then instead of finalising it in court over whether or not double taxation was illegal, the government just changed the law.
    Don't like that the protestors have started protesting the only way left to them? As the americans say, "don't hate the player - hate the game".
    The charges will continue. It's just a question of how many of the little rabble of protestors are going to have to be jailed before the rest of the city can continue with 'business as normal' first.
    Since nonpayment figures are at 75% in Dublin and 80% in Dun Laoighaire, why would you think that the charges being issued will make any difference? And why would you think that the "little rabble" (i.e. 75% of people in dublin) would agree to "business as usual"???

Cork, this argument's not about recycling, or waste management policies, or any other FF-speak platitudes.

Landfill is unsustainable. Recycling, Reuse & Reduction are genuinely accepted as part of a waste management policies.

Many more accept this than FF supporters.

Landfill is unsustainable. Recycling, Reuse & Reduction are genuinely accepted as part of a waste management policies.
    Many more accept this than FF supporters.
    Probably because
    1) It's a truism
    2) It's an empty phrase with no trade-offs, ie. it's intellectual la-la-land
    3) This argument's not about recycling, or waste management policies, or any other FF-speak platitudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by Meh

Farmers have had different rights when it comes to blocking roads, just look at the last farmers protest where they brought hundreds of expensive juggernaut tractors into centra ldublin and blocked traffic. Not a single arrest there.

By the way, can the law prove as it stands that a household/person does not produce any rubbish to be collected ?
    What if a person decides to burn his/her rubbish on their property rather leaving it out for collection in bin/no bin, is it illegal ??

Probably because
    1) It's a truism
    2) It's an empty phrase with no trade-offs, ie. it's intellectual la-la-land
    3) This argument's not about recycling, or waste management policies, or any other FF-speak platitudes.

It is very hard to find landfill sites. New + Existing sites need constant management to ensure environmental standards are maintained, Ground water needs protecting for years. Landfill is not a solution to waste management.

Many counties use landfill sites outside their local authority area. Point being - It is hard to find suitable new sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hang on. They're protesting by blocking bin lorries because protesting by standing outside the dail didn't work, and neither did taking the government to court.
    Ah now I get it. It is acceptable to break the law with illegal protests if and only if you previous protests have been ignored by just about everybody. Now I understand - silly old me.
    Since nonpayment figures are at 75% in Dublin and 80% in Dun Laoighaire, why would you think that the charges being issued will make any difference? And why would you think that the "little rabble" (i.e. 75% of people in dublin) would agree to "business as usual"???
    More fiction - Where did you get these figures from?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by gurramok
    Farmers have had different rights when it comes to blocking roads, just look at the last farmers protest where they brought hundreds of expensive juggernaut tractors into centra ldublin and blocked traffic. Not a single arrest there.
    To be fair, I was on Merrion Square that day, and the traffic didn't seem to be that badly disrupted. Besides, it's at least nominally legal to drive a tractor in Dublin.
    By the way, can the law prove as it stands that a household/person does not produce any rubbish to be collected ?
    Not sure where you're going with this...?

What if a person decides to burn his/her rubbish on their property rather leaving it out for collection in bin/no bin, is it illegal ??
    Yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement