Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dealing with scumbags

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Dragan wrote: »
    From my own perspective, how i deal with any situation will depend on who else is their, how many scumbags etc. If i am with a friend and some trouble kicks off their safety will become my priority, so if putting down some loan scumbag or walking away from 10 of them is the safest course of action thats what i will do.

Agreed, with a friend of mine again presuming there was 2 of us against say 4 of them, I'd probably go for a first strike depending on how aggressive they were,

If I was out with Mrs Helimachoptor, i'd bite ears, noses, testicles, fingers to make sure nothing happens to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

hey is this for real about ballyfermot? im planning on going there for a plc this year... tbh, this thread makes me want to go there less and less... i havent experienced any form of intimidation anywhere in my three yrs in ireland, but im a little worried about going there... im not irish by the way, does that make me more susceptible to those 'scummers' as u call dem?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

camz09 wrote: »
    im not irish by the way, does that make me more susceptible to those 'scummers' as u call dem?? :confused:

They tend to go after everyone but..yes, I would think it does make you more likely to be targetted.

Only way to deal with scumbags is to hit them tbh. There's been times with 2 or 3 of us and 10 of them and once one of them is on the ground they scatter. None of them are half as "tough" as they act, they're just playing 'drug dealer' in their own little world and need a rude awakening.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I dunno, man. I think it's dangerous to be giving that kind of advice.

For every 3 pussy-boy skangers you'll find one who knows how to fight and is only too eager to prove it. All very well if you're trained but I think the best advice for anybody who's never thrown a punch before (which is most people, tbf) is to get the fúck out of there.

It's never come up for me, never been hassled in this town, despite living, working and going to Uni in rough areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Alright fair enough like..If you don't know how to fight then gtfo(just seems a bit unusual around here to find someone like that!) but otherwise..they'll go down like a sack of potatoes :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

I go to BCFE and have never had a problem with any scumbags around there.

Theres a few homeless alcoholics that hang around tescos there but no dodgey scummers hanging around. Pretty much the whole college looks like a nerd except the nurses, the journalists and the acting students so you'll be in the same looking company. I've heard of anyone having problems and I worked for the college newspaper so it would of been reported on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RitaM

I would say if you are getting hassled every time you step outside the door your really need to re-evaluate how you present yourself to the world. If you look like a victim these scum will sense it and take advantage.

Your talking about a group of people with a vested interest in picking on the weak and the meek after all.

In all fairness, the transfer of skillset from TKD to what occurs during your typical altercation on the street is quite limited, so i can see where the guy was coming from. And while all the other advantages of TKD that you raised are accurate, they are hardly applicable to a conversation based around scumbags and defending yourself from them.

I have said this before, and gotten in trouble for it, and i will say it again right now.....the best delivery systems for "self defense" in the average altercation will be boxing or Muay Thai. Sharp strong blows, direct and to the point. Back it up with some good sprint training and the odd bit of long distance to deal with a persistant attacker and you are set.

I have no issue with TKD, it's a fine art....but it really is not the best for Self Defence situations.

Finally, when is the last time you jammed two fingers into someones throat? It's a nice idea, but when you are reducing the size of both your striking object and your target in such a manner, especially in a pressure situation with various unknown elements you are really reducing the chances of effectively dealing with someone attacking you. I also doubt this strike has been drilled a massive amount by just about anyone.

Advice would be to stick to the basic strikes if you find yourself in a situation where you need to engage them.

I disagree and that is all I'm saying on this matter, there is only so much I can say about TKD but unless you practice it yourself then......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RitaM

camz09 wrote: »
    hey is this for real about ballyfermot? im planning on going there for a plc this year... tbh, this thread makes me want to go there less and less... i havent experienced any form of intimidation anywhere in my three yrs in ireland, but im a little worried about going there... im not irish by the way, does that make me more susceptible to those 'scummers' as u call dem?? :confused:

Don't let it put you off getting a good education for yourself. You cannot let these people win by not wanting to go to college because of them and Ballyfermot college has a great rep with courses. My sister lived in the States a few years ago with her band and everyone knew the Ballyfermot Rock School. Most people I know have went there at one point or another, I'm doing my degree there in October so all I can say to you is just go for it and don't let it put you off what may benefit your future.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

wiensta wrote: »
    Admittedly this was triggered by Tellox's post earlier and his experience. I felt the need to ask directly to get a wider response to a question boiling in the back of my mind for ages.

I live in Kilkenny and we have our fair share of scumbags. They dont seem as severe as the ones mentioned in Dublin but Im still interested on dealing with them cos Im heading to college there in september...and the college is in Ballyfermot.

These guys really pi$$ me off. My girlfriend was up a few weeks back and we ran into two packs of knackers in one day.. Mostly it was just hurled abuse.. The fact I didnt respond the first time made me so angry/frustrated inside. I told the second group to phuck off aggressively.. Which i regretted, because I had stooped to their level.

So this rises the question;

How can you deal with scumbags?

Ive personally changed my mind about carrying around a knife going to college as some of you said most scumbags dont really care, unless youre prepared to use it. I considered carrying around my broken phone/pack of cigarettes (i dont smoke) so if I am stopped Ill just give them one. My girlfriend suggests not to stop at all..just to ignore them and make em look stupid; shes got a point, but what if you are stopped and then threatened?

Please only give answers you consider truly valid as I will have to live with the worst of these people for the next 4 years.

OP change your attitude.
    My ma always says you get more of what you focus on.
    If you walk around all sketchy you're going to draw attention to yourself and those negative vibes you send out will come bouncing right back to you.

Honestly, you have a very poor idea of the world. Yes, Ballier has a rough element but unless you're strolling round late at night mouthing or with riches falling from your pockets, you won't have a problem.
    It's a good thing you're going to college there, you'll learn a lot when your preconceptions don't live up to your dread.

Carrying smokes around just to give them away? FFS that makes me laugh so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

there are a lot of foreign people going to ballyfermot, nobody has ever had ANY hassle. You'll be fine! Believe me!

The scaremongering going on here is ridiculous in some places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I'm a girl and I lived in Dublin for 5 years while at college until last year. I lived in North inner city (Mountjoy Square) and I've been approached many times but always showed them that I was calm, in control and not afraid of them (even though my heart was racing). Every time they just backed off and I walked on by. One time a guy stopped me and said "gemme yer wallet and phone" and I just eyeballed him and said nothing and didn't move. After about 30 seconds he said "so are ye gonna gimme yer wallet?!" and I said "no". He just swore at me and walked on.

I always got friends telling me that I was mad to stand up to them, I'd get stabbed or something but I ****ing hate that people are so scared of grimy little assholes like that! They need to be shown that girlies won't just cower before them. That said, it never happened with someone who I honestly thought could hurt me. They all just looked like harmless little scum who were all talk no action.

As other posters have said, if you can project the right attitude they'll leave you alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

RitaM wrote: »
    I disagree and that is all I'm saying on this matter, there is only so much I can say about TKD but unless you practice it yourself then......

How often have you pressure tested your own abilities in a SD situation? I know plenty of people who have in the past or currently practice TKD.

The majority of them also train in lots of other TMA's, RBSD's and even some in MMA for sport. Most of them would advocate TKD as a sport art, but not a self defence art.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

OP change your attitude.
    My ma always says you get more of what you focus on.
    If you walk around all sketchy you're going to draw attention to yourself and those negative vibes you send out will come bouncing right back to you.

Honestly, you have a very poor idea of the world. Yes, Ballier has a rough element but unless you're strolling round late at night mouthing or with riches falling from your pockets, you won't have a problem.
    It's a good thing you're going to college there, you'll learn a lot when your preconceptions don't live up to your dread.

Carrying smokes around just to give them away? FFS that makes me laugh so much.

I would imagine that the OP has had plenty of time to change their attitude, being as the post is over 5 years old. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

The majority of them also train in lots of other TMA's, RBSD's and even some in MMA for sport. Most of them would advocate TKD as a sport art, but not a self defence art.
    TBH, the arguments about the 'best' martial art are beside the point in this thread. The most important things they teach for self defense are common to all of them
    1 confidence and focus in dicey situations
    2 the fitness to outrun scobes (on the occasions where no 1 lets you down)

I would offer the following observations on my time as a security guard on a limerick halting site. Humans are hunters. We can all sense fear and uncertainty in others, and we are conditioned to react to these signals. Predators tend to gravitate toward those who feel (and as a result look) out of place and threatened, and will always show more aggression toward such people.

The solution, avoid sending the signals that make you look like prey. Do this and you will avoid 99% of potential bother. Taking up a martial art helps a lot of people to find more confidence, but taking stock of one's own body language also can help people to 'fake it'.

Wow, I feel like an anthropologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I would imagine that the OP has had plenty of time to change their attitude, being as the post is over 5 years old. :P
    Hehe, never spotted that.
    So OP, did you survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,002 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hehe, never spotted that.
    So OP, did you survive?

According to his profile, he was last active in May 2005. Things don't look too good, so the advice that he was given must have been sh1te :eek:

I bet the chalk outline has long been washed away. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Can not believe some of the responses on here.The reason the scumbags do what they do is because they are on the whole cowards.Stand up and fight and be a man FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Kickboxing, practical , useable , offence, defence and street wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

Scene: Me and my girlfriend walking towards her home, about 11pm on Saturday night, quiet neighbourhood, pretty uneventful walk thus far.

Suddenly…

Scummer, about 30+ years old: gimmie a light
    Me: sorry, I don’t have one.
    Scummer: Are you trying to be cheeky you c**t
    Me: No, I don’t have a lighter, goodnight
    Scummer: I’ll f**king kill you, you…. *trails off into a cacophony of verbal diarrhea*

I didn’t know what to say then and I don’t know what to say about it now. It was as if we where having two different sets of dialogue.
    I used to say things like, “he is just angry at a social system that has trapped him in a circle of poverty” to be honest, now, after years of putting up with these people, I’m glad that his parents where alcoholics, that he had a sh*t education and I hope his life continues to be a complete pathetic failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

Agreed, with a friend of mine again presuming there was 2 of us against say 4 of them, I'd probably go for a first strike depending on how aggressive they were,

If I was out with Mrs Helimachoptor, i'd bite ears, noses, testicles, fingers to make sure nothing happens to her.
    Aw well arent you the nicest!!lol

Prob do the same myself actually. But my angry face on my 6'4" stature kinda do most o the biting for me! :D Grrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Boston wrote: »
    ballyfermot is a doggy enough area, my cousin went to that PLC, and i've been there afew times, basically anywhere with flats around is a rough area, fact. Thats not saying anything that prejudices, most of my mates are from flats and would probably be called scumbags, its just a mentallity, if your an outsider your fair game simple as that.

AS for carring a knife, for the sake of 20 euro in your pocket are you willing to go to jail for a long long time. You stab someone with a knife,and wait around for the gardi, your screwed,. you pull a knife and don't stab someone your also screwed. Some of the most street wise guys from the roughest areas have been mugged and killed or seriously injured. Giving over you phone or whatever doesn't mean anything, if i recall correctly the case of that guy in collock, where they had his phone, rang his girlfriend while jumpping up and down on the guys head. I actually went to school with one of the guys who did that, (bite younger then me) real piece of ****. Unless you can go down to their level of scumness don't stand around, don't talk just walk or most likely run away. Better to be a coward and alive then dead and on the 6 o clock news.

As for avoiding eye contact, just look straight a head, if they think your scared, they will hassel you.

I went to school with the lad who was killed, it happened outside UCI Coolock yes? The main scumbag also beat up my friend and his girlfriend a few weeks after that, he was unbelievably still on the streets pending trial.

As for scumbags, a lot of them are mouths who won't do anything, they just want to look like the big man. You are inevitably going to run in to genuine pyscho's, like the chap who I went to School with did, best thing to do is just give them what they want and just hope they leave you alone. There's no shame in not wanting to get beaten up or stabbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

boogle wrote: »
    I'm a girl and I lived in Dublin for 5 years while at college until last year. I lived in North inner city (Mountjoy Square) and I've been approached many times but always showed them that I was calm, in control and not afraid of them (even though my heart was racing).

Just want to tell you boogle that I'm from Mountjoy Square and just because you've met undesirables there doesn’t mean they're from there. You need to know that the people where I'm from would be embarrassed by that carry-on and mortified that it was attributed to their community.

Dublin city centre, being the city centre, has people of all varieties walking through it; just because you met them there doesn’t mean they're from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭gamblitis

seahorse wrote: »
    Just want to tell you boogle that I'm from Mountjoy Square and just because you've met undesirables there doesn’t mean they're from there. You need to know that the people where I'm from would be embarrassed by that carry-on and mortified that it was attributed to their community.

Dublin city centre, being the city centre, has people of all varieties walking through it; just because you met them there doesn’t mean they're from there.

Ok i just wanna ask where you see boogle mentioning these people were from Mountjoy Sq. She was just saying where she was living thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lyndseyb1

Iv read through a couple of the past posts, im appalled of your opinions of Ballyfermot. Iv lived in ballyfermot most of My life, we are not all "scum bags". I am a very respectable, honest and kind person. One thing you all need to realise is that a postal code DOES NOT make you respectable. I agree that there are alot of gangs (mainly teenagers) who are quite disrespectful and violent, but in recent years this has calmed and you dont see as many gangs around. Im really annoyed that you can all post up here and assume that we are all the same. Its you narrow minded people like you who refuse to judge people individually, and put them all in the same category because of a postal code that make these teenagers behave the way they do. If you look down your nose at somebody they will never respect you. I have been in areas that are classed as very respectable areas and have still felt treathened by teenagers. You need to be down to earth to be respected by anyone in this world, going around like your better than everyone else, of course, will make the nicest of people dislike you.

My Advice for dealing with "scumbags" in ANY AREA is to act like they are not there and keep to yourself!

And as for the comment about "Flats"... I dont know where you got this information from, Ballyfermot Has no flats. There are various two storey buildings in Ballyfermot that accomodate The Elderly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Can not believe some of the responses on here.The reason the scumbags do what they do is because they are on the whole cowards.Stand up and fight and be a man FFS.

Hasn't posted in over 7 months...wonder if he's dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

The only way I deal with scumbags is to shine a giant :mad: symbol into the sky and pray the Citizen comes to save me.... rofl.

Advertisement