Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dealing with scumbags

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Dublin probably isnt as bad as some people are making it out to be.I know that Cork has gotten a lot better in the last 6 months or so.The are a lot more Guardai around and the CCTV cameras probably help, theyre everywhere.
    I havent heard of anything bad for ages although a guy was stabbed in the face last night unfortunately (in Cork) , but these things should worry you go to college and enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Eron

You see when you are holding your phone ringing someone, you hold it at your far ear, not the one where they can see it and snatch it, plus do the crossing the street thing, it works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

The problem is that the police has no power here..... when I moved over a few years ago I couldn't believe the Garda are not even allowed to carry a gun!!
    What can 2-3 Garda do when faced by a group of 20 scumbags?

I have always been lucky so far that nothing bad happened to me, but I never know what may happen to myself or my friends tomorrow because of these knackers still allowed to walk around free..... reading through your stories I felt really sick!!
    Scumbags do not deserve any respect and as such should be threated . I don't want to sound extremist but a sort of "Fascist regime" with more power at the authorities and severe punishment to whoever goes around provoking fights for no reason should be put in place.
    I also suggest the creation of a "Scumbag Hunters Army".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

The thing is that if the Guards become armed, the crooks will have to be as well. There is no need for the guards to be armed in this country. If the use of guns is required they call in the special squad of guys. (the what ya ma call ems)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

The advice here is massivly wavering from one point to another,

I'm 5'11" , thin/slim, dress neatly and look pretty much of a sissy.

I know these are unflattering terms, but when you walk with your head held high, unafriad and aware of all around you others can see/sence it.
    I begs the question in their minds "What does he know, that I don't?".

Town is one actually safer than the suburbers (nevermind the spelling). I'm born and raised in Blanchardstown, and would rather walk anywhere in town, Cork or Limerick than Blanch, (proably due to the fact I would be unknown there). In a city centre you have police and cctv and perhaps have-a- go heros, in the suburbia, your on your own, people know people so they aren't going to jump in cause then they'll be next, no cameras (yet) and no police.

On the eye thing, play it by ear (no pun). If some trys to talk to you just give the classic "eternal internal infernos of hell and maddness in the eyes" gaze. Or ignore them completly, on a bus strike up conversation with some else or go down stairs preted its your stop.

And if all else fails, and someone is stupid enought to stop you around near the top of Graton St, at 3am, with a knife. Look them straigh in the eye and inform them they can't mug you with a bananaa, walk calmly around the corner and run like hell!
    (There are some nights in town I dread running into him again, my repitor is rather small in that type of situation)

Oh, and of corse mass, covering each other with airtight alibis, roaming gangs of vigilantism agaisnt these scum is an excellent idea, lets bring the war home, hehehehehehehehe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

you average street cop, tend to be the lowest form of pond life you will ever meet, pig ignorant to the last. Not a good idea to arm these muppets, and thats speakign with family on the force.

Havelock. i didn't think you where a sissy, that is untill i saw what you ordered in the pub. :D seriously though your not what i'd call a target. You know the way you look at some people and think, he's a target, he's a victim, i really don't know what it is about some people, they just look like prey.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Originally posted by weemcd
    were would yes recomend goin to college? its a lopng way off for me yet but ive recently been wondering.

Carlow IT is very good. No problems. Student village, I suppose ye could call it. Check out Carlow IT @ Boards.ie fer more info. Nice place, even at weekends.

Originally posted by wiensta
    Thanks so far everyone.. answers are fairly consistent which is a relief. I really need to set out a plan now.. My situation isnt helped by the fact that I have long hair, am skinny and dont have any sports jerseys.

Yea definiely, I was accepted into Dun Laoghaire for the same course although I hear Its rubbish.

Wear long-sleeved Heavy Metal shirts, and they'll leave you alone ;) You'll look less nerdy, but be warned; they actually ask you wot are you into. Happened to me numous times in Ballyfermot. I think its just curoisty, tho. And no, they didn't try to mug me then.

Originally posted by Boston
    Did you not read the part of the post where i said i had been to the place afew times, and even had a cousin going to the PLC? Its rough, simple as that. Not saying its cut throth or anythign like that, it aint the gaza strip.

As for scare mongering, what do you except, ask me about contraf or ardmore, i'll tell you a different story. See i'm going at it from a different point of few, i know the scum bags personally, grw up with them, went to the same school and the like, 3 people i went to school with (and i'm only 18) are in mounthjoy for murder, several more manslaughter, gods only knows how many for mugging/ dealing/ and joyriding. A guy that treatened "to burn me gaff down" nearlly killing a lady and her child, while driving a stolen car, he could bearly see over the steering wheal. A "friend of mine" was arrested there last year for smashing up the winscreens in all the cars in a north dublin car park. A guy i know who wants to be a gardi, spends his weekends robbing mobile phones off teenagers.

Now you say your from ballyfermot, so maybe you don't see things as being that bad. Tell me, whats your few on the northstrand/ ballymun area.

Being to Ballyfermot quite a bit, including late (late = 11pm). Nice place, friendly people. I come from Leixlip. Quite town. Mate got started on in Galway, but he's since gone back, and now lives there. Sure, I'm 6 foot 6 inches, but I've had someone hit me twice in the face, at which I asked them wot they were doing, but up my hands, palms flat, and took a step back. Pr1ck walked away. Pr1ck was only 5 foot. If they want a fight, height doesn't count.

As fer the "big group" therory, doesn't always work.

That's my 13 cents. Talk to ye's tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Deal with them? Heck, I gotta live with 'em!

For me: walk purposefully & confidently (stride), either look straight ahead or directly in the eye.

Always, always say "a'ree lads", if there's a gang I'm passing, in the scumiest north inner city accent possible (us narthsoiders are good at tha).

I've never had any hassle so far touch wood (except that time Greenbean tried to start a fight in BurgerKing).

I am slightly bigger than the average, but I'd say that doesn't make all that much difference to the druggies.

Have a look at:

http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/street/street.html
    http://stickgrappler.tripod.com/psy/dlstreet.html

Al.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by the_syco
    Wear long-sleeved Heavy Metal shirts, and they'll leave you alone ;) You'll look less nerdy, but be warned; they actually ask you wot are you into. Happened to me numous times in Ballyfermot. I think its just curoisty, tho. And no, they didn't try to mug me then.

That'd be the music/sound students - freaks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sean101

B-K-DzR, i think that unit is called the ERU, Emergancy response unit. I know its pointless info, but i wanted to belong!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

Zee S.W.A.T ?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Corega

Originally posted by Emboss
    wear lots of gold, check shirt and a pair of air max, they'll think your one of them

Or they'll nick the shirt and the gold.

If you are stuck in a sticky situation with scumbags, you haven't had any self-defense training and there's no possible way of pegging it...grab your house keys and stick each individual key in-between your fingers then loaf the lead bastard in the cheek. Yale key's can be plentiful sore ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Originally posted by Chowley
    Im from Cork so unfortunately have a bit of experience with this.

Dont bother if they ask for a fag they just wanna catch you off guard (most of the time) you put your hand in your pocket , he hits you, you look down to pick a ciggie out of the box , he'll hit you.

If they ask for the time dont look down at your watch or stop, keep walking and hold your watch up to see it.Its another ploy to catch you out you look down to see the time.............

I generally find I can walk straight past most of the ****ers and not get a bit of hassle.

If you want self defence go for Wing Chun, a form of Kung Fu.Very good for close range fighting (street fighting).It allows you to exact as much force as you can while expending the least energy.Its about the best youll find.Tae Kwon Do is very flashy but not so great as far as I know (i have never done but my bro and sis have) it was originally created for the Korean army long ago and the whole point of it was to disable or kill your enemy with one punch or kick.Very powerful techniques but not much of it would be suitable to the street, although I have heard otherwise.

If you want a martial art as a hobby they are both good but if you want to learn some flashy kicking go for Tae kwon do but for protecting yourself Wing Chun.

I studied Wing Chun for a good long while. It's a very slow learning form of kung-fu and not well suited to western style once-a-week teaching. Taught properly as per Master Yip Man you'll spend the first two years learning the forms (specifically Sil Lim Tau) and two stances. Like I said, slow.

Any scrap I've ever been in I tended to be drunk and all the Kung fu went straight out of the window. As soon as the fear/adrenaline takes hold you'll be throwing ineffectual right hooks just like the meathead squaring up to you.

My advice is to do whatever it takes to get the feck out of the immediate area as quickly as possible. Simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Corega
    Or they'll nick the shirt and the gold.

If you are stuck in a sticky situation with scumbags, you haven't had any self-defense training and there's no possible way of pegging it...grab your house keys and stick each individual key in-between your fingers then loaf the lead bastard in the cheek. Yale key's can be plentiful sore ;)

I guess the rest of the gang are just going watch are they?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Originally posted by Boston
    so your man wasn't beaten to death, hmm, must tell his parents that, they can go dig up the body. Though in a sense i was abite miss leadign it was more then a couple of weeks ago, more like 2-3 months back. Yes as far as streets go, grafton street isn't bad, just making the point that you can't call any street safe in dublin.

Well thats was really what i was talking about, town.

How many roads do you walk down where someone has been beaten to an inch of their life but it didn't make the news? **** happens, but you can only minimize the chances of some things happening to you (ie. getting beaten up). I'd advise not using such crass illustrations to make your point either. That guy was killed by scumbags yes, but scumbags are not confined to certain areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

To those who disagree with me, I've lived my life the way i've lived it and so far i haven't been hasseled by any one, and the few ocation where **** has happened, i've handeled quiet well, so i much be doing somethign right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

The idea to wear a Celtic/Dublin or any other sports jersey to avoid a confrontation is the worst piece of advice I have ever heard in my life. Completely ridiculous :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Grow up, kids
    The idea to wear a Celtic/Dublin or any other sports jersey to avoid a confrontation is the worst piece of advice I have ever heard in my life. Completely ridiculous :rolleyes:

Yes its like having a 10 foot neon sign over your head "I need a slapping" not good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

I dont agree with the dressing to impress them idea at all. Youll just look like an idiot and I doubt itll put off the determined ones.

Im shortish, skinnyish and wear rugby jerseys tshirts etc in town and am in there a lot, only once came near to being started on and got myself out of it pretty easily. I dunno where all the paranoia comes from really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭wiensta

yea Im not gonna change my dress code whatsoever...

some replies, although all are appreciated, were a little overreactive. I dont intend on avoid scumbags as being a big part of my daily life, just want to avoid them if I get into a situation, thats all.

Thanks anyway.. I better go work on my :mad: accent :mad:

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

pepper spray?
    Originally posted by DUX

I also suggest the creation of a "Scumbag Hunters Army".
    or maybe the "Skanger Squad", the "SS" for sort.......hmmm where have i heard that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

as you get older the scum tend to leave you alone. do scumbags still ask "are you possssshhhh?" i used to get that all the time, they wait for you to say then no, then they say you are and start a fight about it. once i replied "yes, i am the poshest b@stard i know" they didnt know what to do and stood there stunned! another time i asked "what does posh mean?" more stunned fools. if you think you are trapped (on a bridge or lane) but could run if they were distracted, then try confusing them (it is not hard, believe me).
    "have you got a smoke?" reply -"no thanks im grand", "i think its almost 9", or the classic "my mommy says i musnt talk to strangers" in a slow voice, this works a treat especially for a group, i cant see them going off bragging "we mugged this retard last night, beat him sensless".

if you are say down a lane and see them approaching shout out "all right lads, have you got a smoke!" in your best knacker accent. they will think you are one of them or more of a scumbag than them, either way they wont be expecting a easy mug from a timid scared victim, do it at a distance and they are forced to shout back something, it is rare they will shout out "give me your wallet" incase somebody else hears. in asking for a smoke you are letting them think:
    you are a scumbag who is not afraid of a gang of lads.
    you have no smokes yourself.
    you dont have money for smokes, so you arent worth mugging.
    sometimes i do look them in the eye but not long enough for them to give the old "what are you looking at?" line. in a bad area look angry as hell, walk abruptly with a purpose and mutter like a madman. eye them with a look of "i am ready to kill the next person who looks at me funny", they want an easy mug and wont start on anybody they think will harm them.

a knife is useless, you wont use it and if they get it you are screwed, a sawed off screwdriver is great though. just about 1/2" left on it and blunt, hold onto it inside a coat pocket ready to draw in a second. it cannot do much serious harm so you wont be scared to use it. mace or a perfume atomiser filled with tobasco sauce. face full of gas and a swift kick to the balls, then run like hell.

another idea if you are not that confident is to carry 2 wallets. a cheap cloth one with 10 or 20 euro in it and a few expired cards, give them that one and they will go, if there is no money or cards they will suspect you have it somewhere else, you can carry an old mobile too, if you say you have no phone they may try to search you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

Grown up and currently living in Dublin never had any hassle in town. Did see a guy get a kicking from a gang one night. They just came out of no where and ran off down the Quays as quick as they arrived. The guy was alright though.

Never been hassled on Grafton St or offered drugs for that matter and while I think of it was the guy who was killed not beaten up by three yuppie type pro tennis players?

Ballyfermot is rough in place just like any other are but around the college isnt too bad. Just avoid standing out like a victim waiting to be attacked look confident. Look at skangers but dont stare if they pass. You cant see them throw a dig if your looking away from them.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Pumpkinhead

Some scumbag tried to mug me on Dame street once in broad daylight - (which is a clear indicattion of his intellegence)...

the way i dealt with it was to completely freak out (on purpose - obviously)... i just deliberately went into convulsions and started screaming fvck off at the top of my lungs...

the poor b*stard didnt know what to do - he just let go and started looking around and going "jesus, jesus" and trying to find somewhere to run to..

i waited for a minute and then calmly continued on my way..

they're uneducated morons most of the time and if they come across anything that deviates from normal mental stability they wont know what to do and more than likely will not be bothered with you.. (unless you go with the mildly retarded approach - in which case you may get a more severe beating)...

in summation.. if you act like a complete psycho who is about to be pushed off the edge.. they'll pretty much disappear as quick as possible..

(if not - run)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RitaM

I am from Ballyfermot in Dublin, I have never experienced any form of violence. I do have a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do however as it makes me feel safer walking the streets at night - no matter what part of the country I am in. I am finding it hard to take in the amount of narrow minded remarks made on here about Dublin and Ballyfermot, one being "poison the Dublin water supply?" well mate, if that were to happen it would probably wipe out more country folk than Dubs! :P

It's as if nothing bad ever happens in any other part of this little Island - one word *Limerick* I am not slagging here either because I do not want to stoop to small minded people's levels, I am clearly just making my own point and Limerick has some very positive and great points to it - and that's coming from a Dub.

I am a successful educated woman and I am planning on doing my degree in Ballyfermot college in October. I am heavily involved within the media and I am planning on going to the UK next year. I am also a proud animal rights activist. I come from a respectable and intelligent family, a lot of my neighbours are too. I am not throwing roses onto myself here but I just want to make it clear that not everyone from Ballyfermot is a thick brain dead trouble-making scumbag. I also dress they way I want to dress, I'm a bit of an alternative hippy chick (one who washes btw!) but I do dress differently, always did and always will.

Be safe at all times folks, no matter where you are. I would not advise carrying knives at all, chances are if the person who's attacking you is physically stronger, then it'll be turned on you. Best thing to do is learn some self defence, you don't have to train morning noon and night but basic training will give you some confidence to deal with a situation, there are good courses out there but I would recommend Krav Maga - a lethal martial art and the tecniques stay with you for life. Also, Chowley - there is a lot more to Tae Kwon Do than 'flashy kicking', if you've never trained in it then don't comment on it.

It's also wise to know how to use your words - street talk - not to impersonate them but do try and breath calmly and don't stumble over your words or lose your breath, I have had some verbal experiences over the years and I sorted out a huge gang on my own one night just by the way I spoke to them - no violence ever though as I said and nor was I aggressive - what's the point? I am street wise but growing up in Ballyfermot has made me that way, and in a strange way I am glad of it as my work makes me travel abroad on my own and I'm able to do it - with confidence.

Good luck anyway but please don't generalise a fairly big place like Ballyfermot to think that we're all the same, I see a lot of scumbags every day - I am not one of them and nor are my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RitaM

Sean101 wrote: »
    Poison the Dublin water supply. There would be major collateral damage, but I belive the end justifies the means.

"poison the Dublin water supply?" well mate, if that were to happen it would probably wipe out more country folk than Dubs! tongue.gif

Mega bump.

I was reading it for awhile looking at the '27/07' for awhile and only realised it was from 2003 after the first page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Kavinsky

RitaM wrote: »
    I just want to make it clear that not everyone from Ballyfermot is a thick brain dead trouble-making scumbag.

The majority are though. That annoys you because it's true.

Advertisement