Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dealing with scumbags

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

in relation to the maga bump its pprobably as relavent now as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Shad0r wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Your hands and feet (aside from your brain) are the best weapons you can have cause they cant be taken and used against you.

/picks up Shad0r's hand and slaps him with it

STOP HITTING YOURSELF!
    STOP HITTING YOURSELF!
    STOP HITTING YOURSELF!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Not to sound too simplistic here but if you're afraid of everyone then your asking for some nack to have a go at you. Take up boxing - even if for just a short while. If you realise that your not going to break at the first punch you'll feel much more relaxed in yourself and look like less of a target. Also, at least if someone makes a smart comment you might have the comfort to make a joke of it and engage instead of standing like a rabbit in the headlights begging for a beating. It's worked more often than I care to remember for me - but maybe only because I was relaxed

Never look for hastle though and keep your eyes open for a dangerous situation when walking down streets. As for crossing streets, do it if it can be done subtly and early but too obvious and its like a green light to get hassled.

As for those advocating just giving them your money... like fup! Cowardice like this is why these pr1cks think they can get away with this crap!! It may hurt in the morning but it may save the next person the same or worse treatment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

I have never had any trouble from scumbags.

I think its one of those things where if you act afraid they'll target you. I always look group of scumbags directly in the eye when walking past them shifting your eyes shows fear and shows that your an easy target. Also whenever they stop me I will talk to them ignoring them and walking on shows fear and shows that your uncomfortable I simply don't bat an eyelid and chat away with them and never once have I had a scumbag try anything.

Its easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Boggle wrote: »
    Not to sound too simplistic here but if you're afraid of everyone then your asking for some nack to have a go at you. Take up boxing - even if for just a short while. If you realise that your not going to break at the first punch you'll feel much more relaxed in yourself and look like less of a target.

**** boxing start going to the gym that way they won't even try start something with you whereas you wouldn't know if someone is a boxer or not from looking at them. I am 6'1, 16stone with 9% bodyfat so I am never hassled (though I never was before that!)

Anyways if your strong lad you can take any boxer to the ground, trust me i've seen it plenty of times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I don't get this. I talk to everyone who talks to me. I have told scum the time, told groups to **** off. Let them use my phone. No hassle at all. I have never been afraid of anyone. Maybe thats the key?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Anyways if your strong lad you can take any boxer to the ground, trust me i've seen it plenty of times

That is the most earth-shatteringly wrong assertion I've heard all week. If you want to defend yourself and get through a fight, no martial art and no amount of weightlifting and mirror self-admiration will get you through as well as boxing training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

. I am 6'1, 16stone with 9% bodyfat so I am never hassled (though I never was before that!)

Any boxer

Funny funny.

There is a good video on the tube of this slight pro boxer that is having a walk with his girl, two bigger scumbags come out of nowhere and wak his girl in the face.He kills them.

Even someone tiny like Ben Dunne would probably knock out most 16 stone guys.

All your strength is pointless when you dont know how to use it or where to hit, a well trained boxer or other trained fighter knows exactly where to aim all his or her power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Boggle wrote: »
    Not to sound too simplistic here but if you're afraid of everyone then your asking for some nack to have a go at you. Take up boxing - even if for just a short while. If you realise that your not going to break at the first punch you'll feel much more relaxed in yourself and look like less of a target. Also, at least if someone makes a smart comment you might have the comfort to make a joke of it and engage instead of standing like a rabbit in the headlights begging for a beating. It's worked more often than I care to remember for me - but maybe only because I was relaxed

Never look for hastle though and keep your eyes open for a dangerous situation when walking down streets. As for crossing streets, do it if it can be done subtly and early but too obvious and its like a green light to get hassled.

As for those advocating just giving them your money... like fup! Cowardice like this is why these pr1cks think they can get away with this crap!! It may hurt in the morning but it may save the next person the same or worse treatment...

Yeah your absolutely right, i would recommend taking up some form of self defense and keep physically fit, it will make you more confident on the streets.

The best way to get out of a confrontation with scangers/Traveler's, is to know what to do in different situations, how to act and talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

*Eron*
    "that 95% of these petite robbing, confrontation crimes could be avoided with 2 gardai on patrole in a town"

Dwarfs are robbing and confronting people!?! Dangerous times indeed....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

**** boxing start going to the gym that way they won't even try start something with you whereas you wouldn't know if someone is a boxer or not from looking at them.
    You took me up wrong here. I mentioned taking it up for a short while - not to use it - but more for the self confidence that comes out of knowing your not made of glass. I'd be hesitant it recommending starting a fight (no matter how good you are) when drunk as its never a good idea.

BTW, I used to row when younger so was physically stringer at 16 than any of the bouncers working at the same nightclub as me (used to get the new lads to see if they could hold me in an armlock and I could straighten my arm and turn everytime! - annoyed them cos I'm only 5'11 and 11 stone or so!!). This dos not imply that I could 'take' any of them as they were seasoned bouncers and some very good pro's (shockingly as it may be judging by most reports about bouncers).

You do get the idea though as it all stems from confidence.
    All your strength is pointless when you dont know how to use it or where to hit, a well trained boxer or other trained fighter knows exactly where to aim all his or her power.
    Agree wholeheartedly with this but would add that accuracy is important so dont get carried away with yourself after a few drinks and start causing trouble as its not worth it if your aim is off...

(Sounds like I've been in alot of fights and I haven't!! Just learned from the bouncers I worked with back then that its better to confidently diffuse than fight and this generally is more than enough.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭madser

Kavinsky wrote: »
    The majority are though. That annoys you because it's true.

Theres scumbags everywhere, why is it ok to slag off Dublin all the time, I think its just cluchie jelousy:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

wiensta wrote: »
    Please only give answers you consider truly valid as I will have to live with the worst of these people for the next 4 years.
    Offer them sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RitaM

The majority are though. That annoys you because it's true.

Your point? You did read my entire post? There are many scumbags in Ballyfermot and there are a lot of decent people. My point is I am not one of those 'scumbags' - nor are my family or friends. Obviously it annoys me that small minded people think we are all the same. Daww. :confused:
    Where are you from?

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Any boxer

Funny funny.

There is a good video on the tube of this slight pro boxer that is having a walk with his girl, two bigger scumbags come out of nowhere and wak his girl in the face.He kills them.

Spot on - it's not about size or strength, it's about how to use your ability. People underestimate someone who is quite small, yet they could take a person twice their size and turn them upside down - I've seen it.

That is the most earth-shatteringly wrong assertion I've heard all week. If you want to defend yourself and get through a fight, no martial art and no amount of weightlifting and mirror self-admiration will get you through as well as boxing training.

Martial arts more intense than boxing - quite simply we are trained to use our feet, elbows, fingers, heads - then the fists come in. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Kavinsky

It doesn't matter where. I am from, I never said all people from Ballyfermot were trouble-makers but the majority are. You bumped a 5-year old topic to convince people you aren't one...??? Sounds like you have something to hide!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

RitaM wrote: »
    Martial arts more intense than boxing - quite simply we are trained to use our feet, elbows, fingers, heads - then the fists come in. :cool:

I'm not a boxer, but I've done several martial arts, and I'll still say, in a fight, I'm going to wish I were a boxer, for the ability to take punishment, being the most useful ability, since people don't get away scot free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I think it's funny that quotes were in bold back then but not now.

But that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

, I'm going to wish I were a boxer, for the ability to take punishment, being the most useful ability.

Good point, it goes with the boxer's greatest advantage in a street fight, the ability not to get hit.

A boxer is used to giving and taking shots.He will stay relaxed during the fight and that means more zip to his punches, defensive awareness and less wasted energy, which is not really important as street fights, last what 20 seconds on average?

Example of this is when you pick a big strong 6 feet 2, 16 stone guy who may be fit as far as the threadmill goes and you say lets step in the ring and put the gloves on.
    I'm not gonna hit you. You can hit me. And they say things like, you're gonna let me hit you? I will kill you man.I say, you're going to hit me with the power of a fly." They say, I will kill you man no messing. They get in the ring throw a few punches, 2 minutes later, they're done.

Fighting is stupid anyway, you could hit the guy and he could hop his head of a rock, die and you will be spending 10 years in the Mount with his cousins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You all have it wrong, to destroy them you must first kill their queen, then the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards, checkmate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

So basically "my martial art is better than yours" etc etc.

Yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Tony Broke wrote: »

That's if you can ply him away from the hotel balcony and coke and hookers

It doesn't matter where. I am from, I never said all people from Ballyfermot were trouble-makers but the majority are. You bumped a 5-year old topic to convince people you aren't one...??? Sounds like you have something to hide!

Not sure where you're coming from with this - (what I actually meant - where do you come from with this post? - not nationality) I am 24 years living in Ballyfermot....:confused:

So basically "my martial art is better than yours" etc etc.

Yawn.

Oh I give up. I hate forums me :( people always take it up the wrong way. TUT I'll just have to spank you hard on the bottom. :)

No, I just don't understand the whole competitiveness that goes on between different martial arts. Yes there are martial arts that are presumably more practical than others but to say that martial arts, as a rule are more intense than boxing is fairly ignorant.

I think the training of both is as disciplined and intense as each other.

But I do speak as a martial artist, I know boxers personally and indeed martial artisits - kickoboxers and Tae Kwon Do practicioners. However, in the sparring aspect martial artists use feet - legs - elbows - fingers - everything - whereas, boxers just use their fists alone.

Not ignorant - fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

I´ve never had problems with scum.....some of the people i used to pal around with are what you'd call scum now. When I lived in Dublin it made me streetwise, so now that I'm not living in Ireland it's like I have an extra sense.

some people from different countries are naive and the like......I could have easily been a scumbag myself. I can mix with anyone.

Some of you guys need to stop talking about martial arts and all that. You can talk your way out of arguments. I walked home from O Connell Street to Ballymun loads of times when I was in DCU(chips or taxi) and I never had hassle.

I think the training of both is as disciplined and intense as each other.
    It varies from sport to sport/martial art to martial art.
    But I do speak as a martial artist, I know boxers personally and indeed martial artisits - kickoboxers and Tae Kwon Do practicioners. However, in the sparring aspect martial artists use feet - legs - elbows - fingers - everything - whereas, boxers just use their fists alone.

Not ignorant - fact.

Using different parts of the body does not make it more or less intense.

• Advertisement

The overall training is intense - as I said they are both as intense as each other. Of course they are.

What I'm saying is, martial arts is far more varied for places in the body to target in the case of 'self defence' that's kind of what this topic is all about. Also as I say - I am speaking as a martial artist - not a boxer, I am not going to speak for boxers because that WOULD be ignorant. I admire them a huge amount, I admire anyone who practices such skills - martial arts - boxing - wrestling - the list goes on.

Advertisement