Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kolrus - The Reveal

Options
  • 03-06-2021 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭

0e377be77f453b1a981266c8e2dc5b97cfa96263.png

Welcome to Kolrus - The Reveal

The Categories

1 - Female Vocal - I tend to listen to more male singers than female. It is not by choice it just seems to be how things fall. So please pick a song sung by a female, can be solo or group, rock or R&B, anything female.
    2 - Original - We hear a lot of songs which are actually covers which we don't know about. Here I would like to hear the original from well known cover songs.
    3 - Dance Floor - I was hitting the dance floors of the late 90s to early 00s. I then found out that jumping around like a maniac (2000) is not really dancing However, I still have great memories of the dance songs from that era. So please pick a dance floor hit from mid 90s to mid 00s
    4 - Debut - Some artists have to work hard for success and some achieve it overnight. Here I would like to hear famous debut songs.
    5 - Changed your mind - Remember those songs you used to hate but over the years they have grown on you. Please pick a song you really disliked originally but have since changed your mind and like it now.
    6 - Uncharted - I have found some great songs on Youtube videos and other background music over the years. Here I would like to hear songs that were never released as singles. (In Ireland, UK, or US)
    7 - Hair metal - Well, I couldn't have a walrus without my favourite genre, love it or hate it, Hair Metal or 80s Glam Rock is awesome. Hit me with your best one.
    Bonus Category 8- Bon Jovi - This one is just for fun, I will rank it but no points awarded to the overall scores as it is quite a niche category, in other words, you don't have to play this category if you don't want to. Pick a Bon Jovi song. Be aware, I'm more partial to their earlier material.

The Players

Purple
    Necro
    Aris
    Shelly
    HillBilly4
    Homer
    CeeJay
    SawDuck
    Liz
    Bubblypop
    Sinead
    Stu
    Shane
    Beaker
    Barna 77
    Seph
    Ari
    EN

..and also staring LeVar

Signup thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058175846

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Plan of running the first reveal tonight around 7PM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Kolido wrote: »
    Plan of running the first reveal tonight around 7PM

perfect!! Just around the time I will be back from cinema!!

We will be revealing categories Uncharted and Changed you mind tonight

5 - Changed your mind - Remember those songs you used to hate but over the years they have grown on you. Please pick a song you really disliked originally but have since changed your mind and like it now.

Songs which would have done well in this category

Ultravox - Vienna

New Order - Blue Monday

Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through The Grapevine

Nena - 99 Luftbaloons

6 - Uncharted - I have found some great songs on Youtube videos and other background music over the years. Here I would like to hear songs that were never released as singles. (In Ireland, UK, or US)

Songs which would have done well in this category

Dido - See the Sun

Daughtry - Used To

Alanis Morissette - Not The Doctor

Heart - Nobody Home

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

You used to hate New Order - Blue Monday and Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through The Grapevine?
    You monster :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You used to hate New Order - Blue Monday and Marvin Gaye - I Heard it Through The Grapevine?
    You monster :eek:
    :D Yeah, I've liked those songs and 99 Luftballoons and Vienna since the first time I heard thjem.
    You are a hard man to please, Kol :P:pac:

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say I hated these but I've liked them more in recent years. I couldn't think of anything I genuinely hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Gosh I'm not feeling confident at all - particularly after the score my chosen mid 90s-mid 00s dance track got on Saturday :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I wouldn't say I hated these but I've liked them more in recent years. I couldn't think of anything I genuinely hated.
    I take it all back, Kol. You're incredibly easy to please :D

We will start shortly

The reviews are my own opinion, they will probably differ from popular opinion, please don't take them too serious.

I have also used my own scoring system here, it may differ from the normal one used. The first place song in each round will score a total equal to the number of unique songs in the round.

• Advertisement

In 16th place with 4 points is
    Sinead

Halsey - Gasoline

Heard the artist: No
    Heard the song: No

My rating: ★★★☆☆

Review

First time I listened to this I thought, yeah sounds good. Started to dislike it the more I listened. It has very strong lyrics. Musically it is decent, slow but vocally driven. I wouldn’t be mad about her voice though. I don’t know what it is though, it keeps giving different signals, it’s good, it’s not so good, I think average is about the best rating I can give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Yeah it wouldn't be one of her strongest songs but I thought it might be something different to put through.

massive fan of Halsey and that album is great :)

In 15th place with 5 points is
    EN

The Cranberries - Daffodil Lament

Heard the artist: Yes

Review

This was on one of the first CDs I ever bought. Great album but for the life of me I can’t remember this song. Having listened to it a few times now I can’t say it is anything fantastic. Much better songs from this band. Delores’s distinctive voice is there but nothing about it really stands out to me. It does go on for quite a bit too. Average rating is probably generous.

In 14th place with 6 points is
    Purple

Gnome - Earthen Dweller

Review

A rock instrumental from this Belgium band. Not heard of these guys before. This gets an average rating mainly for one reason, rock instruments don’t really do it for me, I need vocals. Now if it was a piano piece or classical, I would love it. That aside and if you like the genre, this sounds pretty good. I can hear elements of grunge and classical 70s rock in this. Some great guitar work and banging drums. Tried a few more of their songs and they seem to be completely instrumental, I would be pulling my hair out listening to these guys all day. Not saying this is bad but just not really for me, unlucky pick.

In 13 place with 7 points is
    Necro

Oasis - Underneath The Sky

Review

Here we go again, Oasis. Did you get it right? Fortunately you did quite okay. I’m sure there are loads of album tracks from this band that I would have just dismissed but this one is actually not bad. I wouldn’t be crazy about the guitar in this but musically it sounds good. Liam is singing this? He sounds ok to me this time. Yeah, a risky pick but decent track.

In 12 place with 8 points is
    Aris

Simple Minds - And The Band Played On

Review

These guys are not what I would usually find myself listening to. I know a few songs from them, one vastly overrated that seems to turn up in every tournament we run here! This one, I’d have to say sounds okay. It is quite long, trying too much to be an epic piece. Didn’t work in that respect for me but I could see this being great played live, great scope for crowd interaction. Nice baseline and a few tempo changes, Jim’s sounds fine vocally. I mean I have nothing really negative to say about this one though I did find it falling into background music while writing this review. A decent but rather average song, interesting pick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is this uncharted?

ShaneU wrote: »
    Is this uncharted?

Yes, please tell me none of these were singles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

In 14th place with 6 points is Purple

Gnome - Earthen Dweller

This gets an average rating mainly for one reason, rock instruments don’t really do it for me, I need vocals.

agree with this.

great song, but I'm not a fan of songs with no singing either. sorry purple

In 11th place with 9 points is
    Liz

One Direction - Wolves

Review

One Direction, really? I want it to be known that I’m only listening to these guys to keep the integrity of the contest intact. Actually this is very catchy. I mean it is average which is more than I thought it would be. There is a piano sound in there which I really like. Sounds typical of an album track but this could have as easily been a single I think. This sounds better the more you listen. That was a very risky pick I must say but quite decent.

• Advertisement

In 10th place with 10 points is
    Homer

Rilo Kiley - Under the Blacklight

Review

These guys are new to me. What I noticed right away is the vocals, I just love her voice. I thought this might be more American folksy music which I’m not a fan of. I listened to a few more from these guys and they are indie pop, I love their sound. Whereas this song goes, I think they will have much better songs out there and you might have landed higher with another song. Better than average and thank you for bringing this band to my attention.

In 9th place with 11 points is
    Shane

Postal Service - Such Great Heights

My rating: ★★★★☆

Review

There seems to be a sound from 8 bit NES running through this song which is kind of distracting. I’m not sure if this was not released as a single, I will go on the judgement of the player here. This sounded very strange when I first listened and a bit familiar but I can’t say for certain that I have heard it before. So many wonderful sounds going on here. I like the way the vocals flow into each other. Love those little sounds at the start. I might be generous with the score here but I like this and it is something fresh for me.

In 8th place with 12 points is
    Stu

Agnes Obel - Familiar

Review

Musically this is stunning, I’m not crazy about the vocals. Very glass sounding going with the concept album theme. I could see this in movies, maybe it has been already. The piano, violin all sound beautiful. Definitely an artist I need to check out more and I think the rating reflects that in this case. Decent song and a very interesting pick.

In 7th place with 13 points is
    Seph

Xenoblade Chronicles - You Will Know Our Names

Review

This sounds awesome. A nice change in pace from the average picks in this round. Love the guitars in this great and super tempo. Heard of the game but I’ve not played it so I’m not familiar with the soundtrack. Reminds me of the early PS1 days and those japanese fighting games. Goes on for a bit would be my only negative but great idea for a pick.

In 6th place with 14 points is
    CeeJay

Pentatonix - Daft Punk

Review

So you need to explain to me, there were no instruments in the making of this? I’m going on that assumption when writing this review. This obviously sounds great and these guys are super talented. I don’t know the longevity of this kind of act, it seems more of a novelty but I’m not a record exec so I will only rate it on this song alone. I can’t not like this, I mean it does go on for a while and the covers might not be my cup of tea but one has to appreciate what is going on here. This is great, a really unexpected pick.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

In 6th place with 14 points is
    CeeJay

Pentatonix - Daft Punk

Review

So you need to explain to me, there were no instruments in the making of this? I’m going on that assumption when writing this review. This obviously sounds great and these guys are super talented. I don’t know the longevity of this kind of act, it seems more of a novelty but I’m not a record exec so I will only rate it on this song alone. I can’t not like this, I mean it does go on for a while and the covers might not be my cup of tea but one has to appreciate what is going on here. This is great, a really unexpected pick.

No instruments at all. I have seen it performed live, and it was stunning.

In 5th place with 15 points is
    Shelly

The Veronicas - All I Have

Review

I’m sure I heard this band before on other walrus’s here. They do sound great and I will be looking more into them. This song kind of starts off a bit meh but recovers itself as it goes on. Great vocally and a nice tempo. That piano sound does really lift it. I might have been very generous thinking about it now when rating this song but I’m taking into account the artist and how good they sound. Really does capture this category and makes me want to hear more from them even if this song is just above average.

In 4th place with 16 points is
    Barna

Fleetwood Mac - Songbird

Heard the song: Yes

Review

The best album ever made, some might say, can’t go wrong with any song from that. True, this is a really nice song. I wasn’t familiar with the Fleetwood Mac version to be honest, you would think I would have heard this album before but I’m not sure I have in its entirety. Basically just the piano and Christina’s vocals, great song and great pick.

That leaves us with the bottom and top 3

Ari
    Beaker
    Bubbly
    HillBilly
    LeVar
    Sawduck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

ari101 wrote: »
    Gosh I'm not feeling confident at all - particularly after the score my chosen mid 90s-mid 00s dance track got on Saturday :p;)

I ref to my earlier post ^^^ ;)

Advertisement