Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twitter's alleged bias towards left-wing trolls.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's a big difference between 'wrong think' and flagrant bigotry, racism and inciting violence.

A tenet of free speech is that you aren't protected no matter what you say, you still have to deal with the consequences which include getting kicked off the platform.

Also under free speech the platform owner does have the right to moderate what is on their platform as they are legally tied to it. Just because you have nonsense to spout doesn't mean people are obliged to give you a platform and have to listen to you. That's another tenet of free speech.

So seeing people being blocked and kicked off platforms like twitter isn't a violation of free speech but free speech working the way it should.

Then that owner cannot expect protection from any legal proceedings as a result of damage to reputation incurred.

I think Twitter is a social pestilence but that is my opinion, I don't think it should be banned.

So if you start spouting nonsense like #whitemenaretoxic or #thereare109genders or #killallmen then good luck to you, if you are stupid enough to engage in toxic content then that is on you, none of my business.

But Twitter suppressed the spread of the Hunter Biden story from a mainstream news organisation before the election but never suppressed the Russian Collusion nonsense that was spread all over it's platform in 2016 then surely you can see the problem with that?

How is that related to free speech?

Or how is banning an alternative to that platform related to free speech?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But Twitter suppressed the spread of the Hunter Biden story from a mainstream news organisation before the election but never suppressed the Russian Collusion nonsense that was spread all over it's platform in 2016 then surely you can see the problem with that?

How is that related to free speech?

I suppose you have verifiable links to back up that this actually happened? As far as I'm aware the Hunter Biden story was hearsay and totally unverifiable. It wouldn't stand up in court because it was nonsense and would get you sued for libel.

The Russian stories on the other hand were backed up by verifiable evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Its third way politics.

Basically be liberal on social issues and right of centre on economic issues. Its a big vote winner with the middle classes. It makes them feel they are helping the oppressed while protecting their own wealth.

Its what big corporations want all over the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Way#:~:text=The%20Third%20Way%20is%20a,some%20centre-left%20social%20policies.

A great example of it is Ardern in NZ. Zero inheritance tax in NZ. Even if you leave behind millions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They acted in unison to get completely disable a competitor!!!! They did so with absolute confidence right in front of the world knowing they don't have to worry about the consequences as the political party they have supported are now in power.

This is unprecedented, at least now no one can deny who are behaving like fascists...

President tried to launch a coup?...with morons armed with cable ties? Honestly, if he was the fascist leader some radicals would have you believe he'd have been ballot stuffing last Nov through every means necessary undermining the legal vote...

Going to need evidence there for them supporting the Democrats. Sounds like more Qanon-grade nonsense to me.

We're dealing with an army of ill-informed human refuse. There's a reason that successful coups are carried out by the armed forces and not the sort of morons who didn't even cover their faces while perpetrating an illegal act and sharing it on social media.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I suppose you have verifiable links to back up that this actually happened?

Ah stop now...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/facebook-and-twitter-took-drastic-measures-to-limit-the-reach-of-a-new-york-post-story-about-hunter-biden/ar-BB1a205x

Turns out he is being investigated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The Republican led senate even agreed Trumps team colluded with Russia https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/08/24/senate-panel-trump-colluded-with-russia-in-2016-election/

Multiple people have been indicted and arrested both Americans and Russian. How anyone can all it a hoax is beyond me.

Going to need evidence there for them supporting the Democrats. Sounds like more Qanon-grade nonsense to me.

We're dealing with an army of ill-informed human refuse. There's a reason that successful coups are carried out by the armed forces and not the sort of morons who didn't even cover their faces while perpetrating an illegal act and sharing it on social media.

I'd imagine you are more informed than I am about Qanon so I can't argue with you about it...I've no idea what it is.

I can't show you any evidence that Twitter did anything to suppress the Russian Collusion Conspiracy theory that was spread from media through social media for over two years....because there is no evidence they did anything to suppress it!!!!

It's why I don't go near twitter precisely because it is full of "human refuse".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,172 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd imagine you are more informed than I am about Qanon so I can't argue with you about it...I've no idea what it is.

I can't show you any evidence that Twitter did anything to suppress the Russian Collusion Conspiracy theory that was spread from media through social media for over two years....because there is no evidence they did anything to suppress it!!!!

It's why I don't go near twitter precisely because it is full of "human refuse".

You've moved the goalposts. You said they supported the Democrats but have produced no evidence for it.

And for the record, f*ck Twitter and the rest. The idea that giant, tax-dodging companies who hire virtually nobody are left wing is beyond stupid.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So if you read your actually link it says that the link is to an article with unquestionable unverifiable sources so twitter did the right thing as it is potentially libelous and harmful.

Also he isn't being investigated for this because it turned out to be nonsense, which was obvious to everyone.

You've moved the goalposts. You said they supported the Democrats but have produced no evidence for it.

And for the record, f*ck Twitter and the rest. The idea that giant, tax-dodging companies who hire virtually nobody are left wing is beyond stupid.

How can I produce evidence of inaction?

Maybe you can show me what actions they took for instance when we witnessed violence/murder/destruction/state toppling that swept across the US and beyond last summer?

Did the political leaders who were egging this on get banned that I don't know about?

• Advertisement

How can I produce evidence of inaction?

Maybe you can show me what actions they took for instance when we witnessed violence/murder/destruction/state toppling that swept across the US and beyond last summer?

Did the political leaders who were egging this on get banned that I don't know about?

You said they support the Democrats. I want to see evidence that they have been doing so. Your attempt to have me research your argument for you isn't going to work.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

FTA69 wrote: »
    seemingly ignorant of the fact that this could well rebound on any left-wing challenge at some stage

I don't know why you believe that that isn't an absolute certainty.

FrankenTump is the corporate media's monster and now they've lost control of it and are in a panic. The 'leave-Daddy-Trump-alone' crowd are blaming 'the left' anyway they're so twisted in the brain from listening to reactionary morons on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There's a big difference between 'wrong think' and flagrant bigotry, racism and inciting violence.

bigotry, racism and inciting violence *

*Excluding bigotry, racism and violence from BLM, Antifa etc etc

Tony EH wrote: »
    Still not close.

I doubt their views would be a lot different to most women in the Tory party in Britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Who did Facebook/Twitter/Google make political donations to? Are political donations now 'QAnon Conspiracy nonsense'?

Akesh wrote: »
    Who did Facebook/Twitter/Google make political donations to? Are political donations now 'QAnon Conspiracy nonsense'?

Why not do your own research?

H. H. Asquith

You said they support the Democrats. I want to see evidence that they have been doing so. Your attempt to have me research your argument for you isn't going to work.

Why are you asking me for evidence for something I did not say.

I did not say Twitter support the Democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

I doubt their views would be a lot different to most women in the Tory party in Britain.

So we at least agree that suffrage was a mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Plenty of donations from their employees during the campaign they did well to suppress the Hunter Biden story as well
    Delighted to see billions wiped from twitters share price over the last couple of days btw

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/facebook-twitter-biden-campaign-donations-censorship

Why are you asking me for evidence for something I did not say.

I did not say Twitter support the Democrats.

You did:
    They acted in unison to get completely disable a competitor!!!! They did so with absolute confidence right in front of the world knowing they don't have to worry about the consequences as the political party they have supported are now in power.

I'm not wasting any more time on this conspiracy theory. You've produced no evidence so I'm leaving it at that.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

conorhal wrote: »
    It's quite bizarre to see everyone $h1t their pants and declare a load of boomers wandering around the halls of Congress, looking for all the world like a tour group that's lost its guide (and a handful of Q boomers to stupid not to front up to armed guards), constitutes
    a coup.

A tour group who brought handcuffs, guns, a gallows, a crate of molotov cocktails, multiple pipe bombs, were chanting "kill the Vice President" and beat a copper to death with a fire extinguisher......

Is that why they're called boomers, cos they wanted to blow the place up?

Saying that Trump is being "censored" is laughable in the extreme. He literally has a room in his house where he has instant access to absolutely every single TV in the world, that he could use at the drop of a hat and the planet would be glued. Not exactly the sentence handed sown to Socrates, now, is it? He can still say whatever he wants, he just can't say it on [insert social media platform here]

Similar with Parler....they had their stuff hosted on amazon servers. Members were circulating seriously dodgy stuff so Amazon asked them to step in and moderate it somewhat. They agreed, but didn't follow through. Then users started talking about blowing up AWS data centres and assassinating Bezos, and Parler still did nothing. So Amazon booted them. That's not censorship, that's breach of contract.

You did:

I'm not wasting any more time on this conspiracy theory. You've produced no evidence so I'm leaving it at that.

I was referring to the tech industry. Which involves a number of major global organisations.

So, please stop misrepresenting what I said.

So we at least agree that suffrage was a mistake?

What? Democracy is bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

What? Democracy is bad?

Quite clearly a lot goes whoosh over your head....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Why not do your own research?

I have, let me elaborate for you:

Alphabet/Google - $21M. 80% to Dems, 7% to GOP
    Microsoft - $17M. 75% to Dems, 14% to GOP
    Amazon - $8.9M. 85% to Dems, 14% to GOP
    Facebook - $6M. 80% Dems, 10% to GOP
    Apple - $5.7M. 80% to Dems, 4% to GOP
    Twitter - $.879M. 100% to Dems

Now back to my question, do political donations not count as support or is it QAnon conspiracy nonsense?

Quite clearly a lot goes whoosh over your head....

You're not making any sense. Try writing longer, more coherent, sentences instead of expecting others to know what point you're trying to get across.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We're dealing with an army of ill-informed human refuse.

Subhumans perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Those are employee contributions not actual corporate political donations.

Various big corporations donated to pacs are listed here. Google was 50/50 btw. Microsoft donated bit more to Republicans than Dems https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-blue-chip-companies-halt-political-donations-after-capitol-riot-by-trump-supporters-11610395667

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Akesh wrote: »
    I have, let me elaborate for you:

Alphabet/Google - $21M. 80% to Dems, 7% to GOP
    Microsoft - $17M. 75% to Dems, 14% to GOP
    Amazon - $8.9M. 85% to Dems, 14% to GOP
    Facebook - $6M. 80% Dems, 10% to GOP
    Apple - $5.7M. 80% to Dems, 4% to GOP
    Twitter - $.879M. 100% to Dems

Now back to my question, do political donations not count as support or is it QAnon conspiracy nonsense?

QAnon is a very specific conspiracy but because most people don't know that, its become the new way to just deplatform any people or opinions that the left don't like, think of it as the late 2020/2021 version of calling someone a racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

A tour group who brought handcuffs, guns, a gallows, a crate of molotov cocktails, multiple pipe bombs, were chanting "kill the Vice President" and beat a copper to death with a fire extinguisher......

Is that why they're called boomers, cos they wanted to blow the place up?

Saying that Trump is being "censored" is laughable in the extreme. He literally has a room in his house where he has instant access to absolutely every single TV in the world, that he could use at the drop of a hat and the planet would be glued. Not exactly the sentence handed sown to Socrates, now, is it? He can still say whatever he wants, he just can't say it on [insert social media platform here]

Similar with Parler....they had their stuff hosted on amazon servers. Members were circulating seriously dodgy stuff so Amazon asked them to step in and moderate it somewhat. They agreed, but didn't follow through. Then users started talking about blowing up AWS data centres and assassinating Bezos, and Parler still did nothing. So Amazon booted them. That's not censorship, that's breach of contract.

So parlers contract was terminated with AWS, They were banned from the apple App Store and google play store all within 24 hours and this is a coincidence and nothing to be concerned about ?

You can either have publicly accessible forums control what words you can and cannot post at their whim but have to leave space for services with a different view exist , or you have to force free speech rules on those services to allow those opinions be shared.

there is no space in this world for subverting the ability of people to read or post opinions that most other people disagree with.

Advertisement