Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

A morning of speculation and guessing...and now Colm Brophy:rolleyes:...and more speculation...switching off

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Cole wrote: »
    A morning of speculation and guessing...and now Colm Brophy:rolleyes:...and more speculation...switching off

I haven't even turned R1 on today at all. Lyric all day for me. My mental health :) can't take anymore ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yeah but causing all the worry is the Governments fault... Meanwhile, we'll turn to the daily case count.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Queues from 3am at Pennys being interviewed. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,618 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Queues from 3am at Pennys being interviewed. Unbelievable.

Crazy, it was suspected there would be a lockdown coming our way since late last week.

• Advertisement

Queuing at Penneys for pyjamas and slippers...ffs. What's the point of leading with this?

Quite a contrast listening to the moaning twats queuing at Penneys for pyjamas and then listening to the woman talking about the effects of the lockdown on people in abusive homes...and CB only gave her a couple of minutes.

I'd prefer to hear more of that and less of the moany gobsh1te vox pops and how people are panicking to get a hair cut.

Quite a contrast listening to the moaning twats queuing at Penneys for pyjamas and then listening to the woman talking about the effects of the lockdown on people in abusive homes...and CB only gave her a couple of minutes.

I'd prefer to hear more of that and less of the moany gobsh1te vox pops and how people are panicking to get a hair cut.

Joe is the absolute worst for this, first caller will be talking about how we need stricter controls to save lives. Joe agrees.

Second caller will say how it's ridiculous that we're missing out and need relaxed controls. Joe agrees.

Incredible they can't see the hypocrisy. Although, people who listen to poor mouth stories all day while earning 400k might not possess a hypocrisy meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

One has to take a look at the media role in all this.

For me they are hyping up all this stuff to pitch that is way too high generally.

Yes there are serious worries for people, but tossers writing columns trying to up the ante with bad news and what might happen, politicizing the fight against those trying to keep the country together AND keep as much as possible running, all it would seem to whip up frenzy and sell papers.

What needs to be asked is who are these people, what qualifications have they, what agenda have they, what expertise in the relevant field have they, what instructions from management have they, what’s their actual role and conditions in the organisation have they.

Folk need to scrutinise these people and evaluate carefully.

Yes there are serious worries for people, but tossers writing columns trying to up the ante with bad news and what might happen, politicizing the fight against those trying to keep the country together AND keep as much as possible running, all it would seem to whip up frenzy and sell papers.

Rattle off an email to Philip Ryan at the Indo

• Advertisement

Rattle off an email to Philip Ryan at the Indo

He was at it during the press conference last night. Made himself look a right twat...with a little help from MM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The media have definitely played a role in getting us back here. They've created the narrative that the restrictions are confusing, and this has given people the freedom to ignore them. Some elements may appear contradictory, but the advice has been clear as far as I'm concerned. Contradictory does not equal confusing.
    He was at it during the press conference last night. Made himself look a right twat...with a little help from MM.
    Was that him well after 10? Not a fan of MM, but he was doing well up to then, and really put yer man back in his box.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The media have definitely played a role in getting us back here. They've created the narrative that the restrictions are confusing, and this has given people the freedom to ignore them. Some elements may appear contradictory, but the advice has been clear as far as I'm concerned. Contradictory does not equal confusing.

Was that him well after 10? Not a fan of MM, but he was doing well up to then, and really put yer man back in his box.

I'd say that was him. MM responded to him like you would a child...played it very well I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Genuinely moving interview with the Bear Man of Buncrana.

Beauty and skincare AGAIN on today's show. Unbelievable RTE obsession.

Liam blah blah Herrick putting forward the same old tired arguments....or "woolly thinking" as John O'Brien put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I am impressed by John O' Brien again ,Liam Herrick against everything.

The working from home conversation is bizzare - Laura is talking nonsense - we are ALL eating more according to Laura , probably wants tax relief on that to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Make up tips.

Is this now the aural equivalent of U Magazine or RSVP?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

So we get an easy 15 minute infomercial on make up, a relaxed 15 minute informercial on books, two ad breaks and a rushed 4 minutes on hypertension.

Beauty and skincare AGAIN on today's show. Unbelievable RTE obsession.

I sent a cheeky tweet into Duffy about my purple hair not needing any hairdresser etc. The types who rely on beauty salons tend to have their pouting faces arranged like painted cement. Personally I love casual and more interesting good looks which can be managed at home. It's fun experimenting too, if you want to live a little!

• Advertisement

So we get an easy 15 minute infomercial on make up, a relaxed 15 minute informercial on books, two ad breaks and a rushed 4 minutes on hypertension.

There was ONE good beauty skincare woman on one of the programs recently who gave genuinely good tips, and whose advice I took. I bought low cost versions in Boots of the types of stuff she recommended, and used them in a way she recommended and it has made a genuine difference. She wasn't flogging any brands, in fact the opposite, and was without a fluffy approach, which made me listen up.

Claire a Byrne is fortunate to have amazing hair and good looks and is obsessed with the management of it all, and supposed all the listeners are too.

It’s enough to give you hypertension

Infoanon wrote: »
    I am impressed by John O' Brien again ,Liam Herrick against everything.

Yes. John O'Brien talks a lot of sense and tries to offer realistic solutions, without completely dismissing opposing views...unlike Herrick, who usually has absolutely nothing constructive to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Claire a Byrne is fortunate to have amazing hair and good looks and is obsessed with the management of it all, and supposed all the listeners are too.

Maybe a side effect of having the COVID is nice hair!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It’s enough to give you hypertension

Ronan Collins may well had a bit of it going on himself; Claire's show ran over into his by over a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Haven't heard her radio show recently but the podcast options (e.g. pressure cooker) and TV segments (dressing warm for Covid) suggests to me that Claire might be getting ready to present the Late Late Show. I'd prefer her/anybody to Tubridy.

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Haven't heard her radio show recently but the podcast options (e.g. pressure cooker) and TV segments (dressing warm for Covid) suggests to me that Claire might be getting ready to present the Late Late Show. I'd prefer her/anybody to Tubridy.

Well she’s in the right stable, and according to the NK website, has the stall right next to Tubs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I've noticed some interview guests are calling Claire "Sarah"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

This contact tracing "debacle" is getting far too much air time/media time. God love the poor people that have to call those they were in contact with, get over it.

Advertisement