Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Correct, surely it shouldn’t be beyond the programme to figure out a way to stop this rubbish.

I stopped listening after the first week, I’m sure Clare is a lovely person but she has no control over this kind of stuff.

Not suited in my opinion to anchor a two hour prime mid morning show.

or maybe she and her producer don't want to stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

CatFromHue wrote: »
    In fairness there's only so much she can do if two guests decide to do that.

SOR was good at letting them dig away just enough, but used threaten (and i think at least once did) to turn off the mics until they can cool down.

2 politicians having a pop at each other can be entertaining. 2 of them just shouting over each other is simply noise.

If you haven’t listened to the debacle, it’s worth it. It won’t take long. It was shambolic. Not once, but twice. And it was not entertaining, it was cringeworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

It's the same every week - the SF rep and FF or FG rep niggle at each other as the slot progresses and at 11.55 just talk over each other. The SF rep has instructions from the Army Council to get the last word in and the other side has recently copped on to this, hence the talking over each other, and CB is incapable of managing the situation, (although last week, for once, she managed to get the journo in to have the last word). Surely she has the equivalent of a line manager who can instruct her to manage the segment better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Dreadful stuff again - one interested party after another - Hyperbolic talk and Claire literally feeding them some of the words eg conversation with the restauranter and hairdresser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,159 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Who is this man on now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭cozar

some GAA star and alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Tips on mens shaving and skincare on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Brutal stuff alltogether

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Tips on mens shaving and skincare on now.

There seems to be some sort of a skin "expert" on the show almost every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭boardise

Noel Considine ,Clare goalkeeper 1980s/90s. Immersed in the well known drinking culture that is entrenched in the GAA. Alcoholism brought him to within a few seconds of suicide in the Shannon. Interesting segment but it won't have the slightest influence on anything. We've heard all the testimonies before. Could broadcast them round the clock -wouldn't matter.
    The culture of indulgence in alcohol is ineradicable in this country ( not just in GAA circles)and the social ravages it gives rise to will continue. A tragic blight on the country -somewhat akin to gun culture in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

boardise wrote: »
    The culture of indulgence in alcohol is ineradicable in this country
    I'd nuance that a little further and say that the toleration of, and even glorification in, overindulgence is the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭TheHomeService

Strange how Claire Byrne hasn’t mentioned the leak of the letter, or the fact that it was sent without any prior discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I thought it was very unbalanced. From last night actually. Varadker was on to explain why they decided against the advice, which he had to give credible reasons (which he did). Then this morning totally ignoring that on Thursday NEPHT were saying all good, no increase to Sunday's Leak and the panic it created! And the problem was, according to CB, the Government!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I thought it was very unbalanced. From last night actually. Varadker was on to explain why they decided against the advice, which he had to give credible reasons (which he did). Then this morning totally ignoring that on Thursday NEPHT were saying all good, no increase to Sunday's Leak and the panic it created! And the problem was, according to CB, the Government!?!

I agree that Leo had to explain the reasons why, but I don't think his tone/way he did it helped at all and lead to the inevitable focus on him putting the boot into NPET/Holohan.

Éanna ní Lámhna always a good and knowledgeable guest and broadcaster on subject of wildlife. Talk if the corncrake reminds me of delightful holidays in the Scottish Hebrides where it's crex crex call can be frequently heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

I haven’t heard a lot of the CB show so cant comment on views expressed here.

I have listened to some of it over the last few days, and found it far preferable to the alternative - Newsrant 106.

Pat Kenny seems to think he is God Almighty, never missing the opportunity to let us know how much he knows. He rants on and on about pet topics - masks for example. Yesterday he was harrumphing that the guards didnt give a damn (about compliance). Today he is banging on about the guards enforcing compliance.

He does have a greater intellect than Byrne, but by god does he like to show it. So for now its CB, shortcomings and all.

And thats before we even get on to Doctor Shrieka Kelly who brings ranting to a totally new level.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

O Donovan is so far removed from reality it's scary.

Who the hell is yer one talking about Siiiiimuss Wuuffe and the curt?

O Donovan is so far removed from reality it's scary.

How is he removed from reality

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »
    I agree that Leo had to explain the reasons why, but I don't think his tone/way he did it helped at all and lead to the inevitable focus on him putting the boot into NPET/Holohan.

I looked at the interview on playback.

I thought i was looking at a different interview than the media were reporting.

Will Yam wrote: »
    How is he removed from reality

Inferring that someone doesn't bring their car from shankill to their mechanic in bray for repair.
    Closing the off licences early(like that'll stop it)
    He also took a backhanded swipe at nephet.

There were other points but I can't be arsed to remember them.

Claire better be careful,she's straying into Duffy's territory with regards to cancer and death.

Palliative care on Claire,, over on Kenny they're talkin about stories of death.. I'LL say no more

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I think it is fair to say that Claire is a national treasure and I think she is the only personality at RTÉ who has the talent to make the big time at the BBC

She has the girl next door charm and can do TV and radio

The pieces on wedding dresses and bridal make up and picking wild flowers with the kids was pure cringe. Still it should have settled down those motorists who only took 2, 3, 4 hours to get into work and taken their mind of things :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Claire better be careful,she's straying into Duffy's territory with regards to cancer and death.

Next she'll be talking about porridge & running & name dropping her kids.

Inferring that someone doesn't bring their car from shankill to their mechanic in bray for repair.
    Closing the off licences early(like that'll stop it)
    He also took a backhanded swipe at nephet.

There were other points but I can't be arsed to remember them.

Given that the rules now are that you stay in your own county, its quite reasonable to say (not infer) that you should get your car serviced in your own county. Nothing wrong with that. That’s one of the consequences of living near any border. Byrne knew that well and trotted it out as the media does from time to time. He was dead right.

And as for alcohol, he was making the point - again quite rightly - that excessive consumption is a major contributing factor to the spread of the disease. Again he was quite right. And while closing off licences early is unlikely to address that, he made the point that someone coming out of a supermarket with a trolley full of booze is unlikely just to be having a glass of wine with their evening meal. He also suggested that alcohol purchases be limited per shopping trip. An eminently sensible suggestion.

He is very much in touch with reality.

And as for “backhanded swipes at NPHET “ have we reached the stage in this country where nobody can challenge or query what they are saying?

Palliative care on Claire,, over on Kenny they're talkin about stories of death.. I'LL say no more

And Duffy hasn’t got going yet interviewing some poor unfortunate vulnerable person whose nearest & dearest died 10/20/30 minutes ago.

• Advertisement

Will Yam wrote: »
    And Duffy hasn’t got going yet interviewing some poor unfortunate vulnerable person whose nearest & dearest died 10/20/30 minutes ago.

Enough to drive anyone to drink, oh I forgot they're already workin on ways to close off that avenue just in case we might escape for a short while from this half-life where there's neither great joy or great despair, just the constant backround humm of Coooooooooiiiiidd

Advertisement