Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,741 ✭✭✭✭elperello

mgn wrote: »
    The same Jimmy made a lot of since when he said, if he changed his car every 3 years since 1999 he would have bought 7 new car by now and how much more damage to the environment that would have caused.

Maybe RTE could bring Jimmy into some studio to have a debate with that fool Ryan sometime.

Agree that increasing tax on older cars makes no sense, glad to see they didn't go up.

Jimmy and ER would have a lot in common. ER's VW van is a 2003 only 4 years younger than Jimmy's Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Claire Byrne show is quickly becoming Joe Duffy lite with the level of Hyberbole - 'you must be so disappointed ' ,'it's shocking ' , ' so upsetting ' ,' so confusing '

Simon Harris bringing sense and clarity to the table.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

This menopause discussion is actually fascinating. The level of treatment for women's health issues is appalling in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

s1ippy wrote: »
    This menopause discussion is actually fascinating. The level of treatment for women's health issues is appalling in this country.

Well Woman Centres and GP services, you make it sound like there is no service whatsoever :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

s1ippy wrote: »

perhaps but men get far less funding for their specific health issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Des doing his best not to criticize the GAA. Top notch journalism Des.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

We need an expert on GAA, Claire.

Instead, let's get Des in.

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Yep, widespread simple testing for possibility prostate cancer is very badly needed, have a friend who just died from it. Testicular cancer awareness needed, somebody I knew discovered it in her partner he never noticed it at all.

imme wrote: »
    Well Woman Centres and GP services, you make it sound like there is no service whatsoever :confused:

GPs are themselves absolutely dismissive & appalling at handling menopause, but at least there is Well Woman, so you can by-pass GP. In fact I find many GPs are not great at dealing with much at all unless you you present to them happens to be their special area of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Simply because the female is a much more advanced & complicated entity ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

It's entertaining watching the Friday Gathering on the webcam and seeing Colette Browne sitting at the back of the studio in the corner...an appropriate place to have her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Cole wrote: »
    It's entertaining watching the Friday Gathering on the webcam and seeing Colette Browne sitting at the back of the studio in the corner...an appropriate place to have her.

She was on Sky News last night for the paper review, felt sorry for the English for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

Cole wrote: »
    They also use that "bold corner" on the Late Debate as well. Looks bizzare to me. Could they not just have the person in another studio? Or, you know, at home, since they don't need to work in the RTE building.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,609 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

serfboard wrote: »
    They also use that "bold corner" on the Late Debate as well. Looks bizzare to me. Could they not just have the person in another studio? Or, you know, at home, since they don't need to work in the RTE building.

Whenever they have somebody remote, especially if everyone else is present, they get frozen out. If everyone was remote, would be fine though.

I don't get the hate for Browne. I have always found her to be an excellent commentator. Always well prepared and to the point. Aside from dramatics on The Late Late a few years ago.
    I would be happy to see her with her own show.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

'Smash the state' Cullinane got a good kicking from Jennifer Carroll McNeill who's proving to be an excellent representative.

I could easily see her go right to the very top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

padd b1975 wrote: »
    'Smash the state' Cullinane got a good kicking from Jennifer Carroll McNeill who's proving to be an excellent representative.

I see that she replaced two absolute tulips that Fine Gael had in that constituency in the last election - Maria Bailey and Mary Mitchell O'Connor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭bmc58

padd b1975 wrote: »

Please god no.Not another FG posh girl rolled out off the conveyor belt.Rember Kate O' Connell??Where is she now.Back filling prescriptions.JC McNeill does not have the same beliefs as David Cullinane,David actually cares for the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,272 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

bmc58 wrote: »
    Please god no.Not another FG posh girl rolled out off the conveyor belt.Rember Kate O' Connell??Where is she now.Back filling prescriptions.JC McNeill does not have the same beliefs as David Cullinane,David actually cares for the Irish people.

So ‘ smashing the State’ is caring for the Irish people ?

Jaysus..... that a new one on me anyway?

Des doing his best not to criticize the GAA. Top notch journalism Des.

Doesn’t want the auld MC gigs to dry up, now does he?

:D

Dig deep enough and the vested interest will always pop up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I don't get the hate for Browne. I have always found her to be an excellent commentator. Always well prepared and to the point. Aside from dramatics on The Late Late a few years ago.

shes a doctrinaire PC leftist of the cookie cutter variety

not a single unpredictable view has ever been uttered from her mouth , she has an aloofness about her which passes for intellectual rigour but its all skin deep , she is horribly over exposed but then again the media landscape in this country is an utter state , any media where sinead o carroll is a prominent contributor is in rag order and would make colette browne come across as a titan of journalism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭boardise

Another well-heeled left wing whinger. Seem to be ten-a-penny on the Irish media these days.

bmc58 wrote: »

David "up the Ra" Cullinane?

Oh, of course, he was tired and emotional when he said that, was the official SF response.

Does that mean he didn't mean to say it or he didn't mean it.

Doesn’t want the auld MC gigs to dry up, now does he?

:D

Dig deep enough and the vested interest will always pop up.

Exactly what I was thinking. Surely a conflict of interests. I wish RTE would clamp down on it.

Who else is doing MC'ing on the side? Is Tubs stilling doing MC gigs? I remember seeing him at so many work things. That I remember thinking, they had just put him on the payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

mgn wrote: »
    She was on Sky News last night for the paper review, felt sorry for the English for once.

Collette Browne, Was she really on Sky news. How did she manage that? I actually think she is a good clear articulate commentator. I think she is also a Barrister.

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Collette Browne, Was she really on Sky news. How did she manage that? I actually think she is a good clear articulate commentator. I think she is also a Barrister.

It's on at unsocial hours, it probably pays 100stg, they were looking for a woman, they were looking for someone who wasn't English, she went to college with one of the producers.

Could be any number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,741 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yyhhuuu wrote: »

She was on Sky News a few times in the review slot 10.30-11.00PM and 11.30PM to midnight.

Since Covid restrictions came in they are doing it by Skype so it allows them to cast their net a bit wider in selecting contributors.

She is very good at that sort of gig. She is a Junior Counsel.

elperello wrote: »
    She was on Sky News a few times in the review slot 10.30-11.00PM and 11.30PM to midnight.

Since Covid restrictions came in they are doing it by Skype so it allows them to cast their net a bit wider in selecting contributors.

She is very good at that sort of gig. She is a Junior Counsel.

Don’t like the lady mesel.

Exactly what I was thinking. Surely a conflict of interests. I wish RTE would clamp down on it.

Who else is doing MC'ing on the side? Is Tubs stilling doing MC gigs? I remember seeing him at so many work things. That I remember thinking, they had just put him on the payroll.

https://www.nkmanagement.ie/

Check out that bad boy.

• Advertisement

shes a doctrinaire PC leftist of the cookie cutter variety

not a single unpredictable view has ever been uttered from her mouth , she has an aloofness about her which passes for intellectual rigour but its all skin deep , she is horribly over exposed but then again the media landscape in this country is an utter state , any media where sinead o carroll is a prominent contributor is in rag order and would make colette browne come across as a titan of journalism

Good call Maxx

Advertisement