Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,671 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Was Abbeylara not 20 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

walshb wrote: »
    Was Abbeylara not 20 years ago?

Wasn't it around Easter 2000?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Wasn't it around Easter 2000?

20/04/2000

• Registered Users Posts: 19,094 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Teachers hours..... Clare obviously on the same conditions of the precedents.

Nothing new for RTE.

sligojoek wrote: »
    20/04/2000

Yes.

Hayes mentioned it 16 years ago..

Unless the 16 years reference was some aspect of the whole event he was referencing.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Yes.

Hayes mentioned it 16 years ago..

Unless the 16 years reference was some aspect of the whole event he was referencing.

Maybe he meant the enquiry that took place afterwards.

I'd have been hard pressed to guess only I remember moving into a new house that day and it was in the radio when I was bringing stuff in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

NPHET needs to get even bigger.

Iv heard it all now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

PBH is miles ahead of Claire yet he's not even trying hard and it's pretty much the same sort of content and topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

PBH is miles ahead of Claire yet he's not even trying hard and it's pretty much the same sort of content and topics.

It's obvious he's well prepared and very comfortable with the topics at hand

Not really difficult. Claire is just not all that good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

Alison O'Connor again.

I'm struggling to see the point of this lady swanning around the electronic and print media. She writes a weakly (sic) column in the Irish Examiner which is just a bland load of rambling rubbish. She's the same on the radio ...producing streams of syllables devoid of any substance. She offers no incisive analysis or insight into anything. She's possibly a very nice person but from a privileged position on national media one expects more than emotional generalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I'm not a horse racing fan at all, but I thought that was a very interesting interview with Barry Geraghty on today's show.

serfboard wrote: »
    I'm not a horse racing fan at all, but I thought that was a very interesting interview with Barry Geraghty on today's show.

Wasn't it? I thought PBH dealt brilliantly with the follow on calls about the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Agree, it was a good interview. I doubt the presenter knows much about it himself but it was clear he'd read the book, or at least the relevant passages from it, and understood what he was asking. You hear certain of his colleagues when it comes to sports items and it's obvious they've done nothing but the most basic of preparation.

You hear certain of his colleagues when it comes to sports items and it's obvious they've done nothing but the most basic of preparation no interest.
    Amended your post to what I believe more accurately reflects the problem ...

Those chirping chicks behind Ian Bailey is too much fluff, even for Claire!

Excellent interview by Philip, by the way.

Showdown between Shane Ross and Regina Doherty !

Regina immediately plays the female minister card

This is going to be fun !

Regina is ' dissapointed ' with Shane... and calling him a 'tell tale tatler ' .....not a good day for Regina - to borrow her words 'unedifying '

Shane Ross couldn't buy this publicity for his book

Infoanon wrote: »
    Shane Ross couldn't buy this publicity for his book
    Shane Ross has a book out? Good God.

No wonder he was so useless as a Minister - must have spent all his time writing the book.

And of course he shows up everywhere to promote it - unlike his time as Minister when he was nowhere to be found.

Shane Ross has a book out? Good God.

No wonder he was so useless as a Minister - must have spent all his time writing the book.

And of course he shows up everywhere to promote it - unlike his time as Minister when he was nowhere to be found.

Brendan O Connor (Sindo connection) gave him the best part of an hour last weekend to plug it.

Not so long since Dee Forbes was talking about clamping down on "advertising leakage"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Won’t be buying Shane Ross book

Useless minister

Not interested in his jottings

• Advertisement

Word of the day goes to Regina. "unedifying" how many times did she say it? Probably never heard it before it was shown to her by one of the "spin lads" before the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The ghoul fest continues

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Misery PLUS wedding planner fluff piece. Never seen a show go downhill so fast.

Misery as you put it is covering the news stories of the day.

PBH is excellent and eg his discussion of the Tuam Babies archive story reminds me of how good this show can be.....with the right presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Infoanon wrote: »
    Misery as you put it is covering the news stories of the day.

PBH is excellent and eg his discussion of the Tuam Babies archive story reminds me of how good this show can be.....with the right presenter.

I disagree about PBH, I find him very detached from the reality of some stories and pushing his own agenda (count how many times he'll mention the regulation of social media in any show). Understandable as it's his area that is most under threat. SOR and McInerney were far better for me, but of course, that's all down to personal taste.

You're right about the news being far more bad than good at the moment though, although I find RTE tend to wallow in it a wee bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I disagree about PBH, I find him very detached from the reality of some stories and pushing his own agenda (count how many times he'll mention the regulation of social media in any show). Understandable as it's his area that is most under threat. SOR and McInerney were far better for me, but of course, that's all down to personal taste.

You're right about the news being far more bad than good at the moment though, although I find RTE tend to wallow in it a wee bit.

"a wee bit" is it ya said?

Funny how he got more milage out of the fluff by asking a few sensible questions about the practical end of the regulations and how they play out.

Funny how he got more milage out of the fluff by asking a few sensible questions about the practical end of the regulations and how they play out.
    What was most amazing to me was that there was a wedding planner on the radio who was not Franc - is that even allowed?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,349 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I didn't hear the weddings item as a "fluff piece".

I thought it was a pretty good explanation of the difficulty facing couples planning to tie the knot during a pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

O dear God, was planning on listening this morning, just realised Ireland most Patronising, Detached, Arrogant and utterly opiniated ""STAND IN" presenter PBH filling in, I'm depressed enough so I'll leave that be.

Is there any wonder this chap has never actually had his own show, just awful to listen too.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement