Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human remains in Rathmines

Options
  • 10-04-2020 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

Human remains found in Rathmines. <snip>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

GolfNut33 wrote:
    Human remains found in Rathmines. <snip>.

Have you a link to the story

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Amstel wrote: »
    Have you a link to the story

Padraig O'Reilly reporting it on Twitter. Reported it as human remains which would indicate it's been there for some time because otherwise they report it as a body found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

where on lr rathmines road could a body have been for years and years?

more likely some poor soul passed away alone in their place unnoticed some while back id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,615 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

sugarman wrote: »
    <snip>
    The area currently sealed off is in the middle of Lissenfield housing estate in full view of 20-30 town houses. Theres a row of trees in front of a few parking spaces opposite them in plain sight. They were built in the 90s prior to TD going missing.

Much more likely to have been either a rough sleeper or remains recently dumped in the over growth. They don't appear to have been buried. If they are, could be historical as were the remains found in Swords last week.

To use the word remains would suggest its something there for a while ,Wonder how they just became apparent now ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

It's most likely someone who went missing in the last year or so.

It's most likely someone who went missing in the last year or so.

If it’s only bones with no evidence of clothes, it’s most likely longer than that. Some poor family will at least have closure. R.I.P

Crazy to think someone could be there that long and not found from the pictures it looks like the patch was about 3 foot wide but 100 ft long,
    If it was foul play and not a homeless person I'm sure who ever out the body there can't believe it remained hidden for so long ,

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Yeah, given how narrow the strip is it's hard to understand how those who pruned back the trees in recent months wouldn't have noticed, especially if it was on the surface as stated in the articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

It wouldnt be common knowledge but the city centres of old cities especially in Europe tend to be crawling with humans remains. There is an extraordinary amount of forgotten cemeteries in cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If the bones were covered in undergrowth they could be easy enough to miss if you weren't looking for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

MadYaker wrote: »
    If the bones were covered in undergrowth they could be easy enough to miss if you weren't looking for them.

Have a look at the picture in the indo link above, the tree were completely cut back and the ground is fairly smooth, so any crap was removed, hard to see how they would have been missed by the people doing the clearing.

You can see the trees on streetview from before the clearing.

Have a look at the picture in the indo link above, the tree were completely cut back and the ground is fairly smooth, so any crap was removed, hard to see how they would have been missed by the people doing the clearing.

You can see the trees on streetview from before the clearing.

I understood that it was the people doing the clearing that found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I understood that it was the people doing the clearing that found it.

Ah right.Did someone on here not say the land was cleared months ago? Thats why I assume they were unconnected.

sugarman wrote: »
    That's what they're to establish. The remains are described as partial skeletal remains found on the surface. The trees were pruned back on recent months.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/human-remains-found-in-rathmines-39118589.html
    Ah right.Did someone on here not say the land was cleared months ago? Thats why I assume they were unconnected.

........ "The evergreen trees along the strip of land had been pruned back in recent months, exposing the ground below, but the discovery of the bones was only made yesterday evening, according to locals."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

There is the possibility that the remains are hundreds of years old.

Like a famine grave or a TB grave.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    There is the possibility that the remains are hundreds of years old.

Like a famine grave or a TB grave.

By reports the remains where not buried just left in the bushes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

RTE are reporting that a forensic anthropologist is at the scene. Would it not be the state pathologist if the remains were recent enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

DNA testing and carbon dating testing should reveal more.

RTE are reporting that a forensic anthropologist is at the scene. Would it not be the state pathologist if the remains were recent enough?

If there's no soft tissue etc it's not really pathology, I think.

• Advertisement

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    No sh1t Sherlock

Well to be fair, you are the one adding 2 and 2 here and restarting this topic so I think the Sherlock credentials are all yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Could be Philip Kearns, he was from the Rathfarm area, that's not too far from Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Could be Philip Kearns, he was from the Rathfarm area, that's not too far from Rathmines.

It’s Cairns. Where he was from in Rathfarnham is miles from that part of Rathmines.

The last person to come forward regarding his disappearance said he was taken to South Circular Road by that pedo DJ. That is a lot nearer than Rathfarnham.

Would be very surprising, given the time frames, if those remains had been there since 1986. For one thing, those trees would have been a lot smaller and that area wouldn’t have been so “overgrown”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The late heart doctor Risteard Mulcahy lived there, as did his father Richard Mulcahy:

https://www.historyireland.com/20th-century-contemporary-history/the-mulcahy-tapes-papers/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

It’s Cairns. Where he was from in Rathfarnham is miles from that part of Rathmines.

The last person to come forward regarding his disappearance said he was taken to South Circular Road by that pedo DJ. That is a lot nearer than Rathfarnham.

Would be very surprising, given the time frames, if those remains had been there since 1986. For one thing, those trees would have been a lot smaller and that area wouldn’t have been so “overgrown”.

Re Philip Cairns and the DJ that was a complete wild goose chase. There was no proven link between them, tbh-there was something fishy about that persons story from the start. Very little about it added up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0411/1129934-human-remains-rathmines/

The remains are 5-20 years old and male...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

wyndham wrote: »

That seems a huge range of sizes but I wtf do I know about anthropology, I'm guessing they only have a few bones which makes estimating the size harder. Very macabre but interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

That seems a huge range of sizes but I wtf do I know about anthropology, I'm guessing they only have a few bones which makes estimating the size harder. Very macabre but interesting too.

This doesn't mean that the bones came from a male aged between 5 and 20. It means the bones have lain there for between 5 and 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

This doesn't mean that the bones came from a male aged between 5 and 20. It means the bones have lain there for between 5 and 20 years.

Fair, read it a**eways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

<snip>
    Imagine getting remains back after years of hoping and not being able to hold a normal funeral now, very sad for this man's family.

Advertisement