Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Human remains in Rathmines

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Rest in peace.

Has a cause of death been established?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Be right back

What a sad end to his life. At least he can be buried with dignity now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

A good estimate though for the time he’s been dead. So the 5 to 20 years covered that period well and would most likely have helped to narrow done the potential candidates for DNA testing.

RIP Stephen Corrigan and also his mum who had the foresight to provide a DNA sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Sounds like some poor bloke who had enough judging by the IT report, may he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

sugarman wrote: »
    I'm sure they'd have mentioned it if they did, Id imagine it would be very difficult with just skeletal remains.

As per the Crimecall appeal a few years back, it mentions he was known to have been a rough sleeper with mental health issues.

Given it was November when he went missing, very possible he just passed away while sleeping rough like so many do each winter.
    RTE saying he went missing in 2010 and November that year was unusually cold with snowfall so exposure is a likely cause of death possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I still don't quite understand how a body could have been lying unburied in a very public place and not discovered before now, you'd imagine that just from weather events, kids playing, animals disturbing the area etc that someone would have stumbled upon him in nearly ten years. Does anyone have any photos of the exact area he was found? I mean how covered or hidden was the location, that a body could lie undisturbed and undiscovered for this length of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

sugarman wrote: »
    It wasnt a very public area. It was off in a small, quiet, private apartment complex in an overgrown area of evergreen trees. It was only discovered when the trees were being pruned this year.

Heres the area before and here it is after.

I still find it very strange, but thanks for the explanation! I'm looking at these trees now in the photo and if I'd been a kid growing up in that complex, I wouldn't have been able to be kept away from messing around in them... An amazing happenstance that he lay undiscovered for so many years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I still find it very strange, but thanks for the explanation! I'm looking at these trees now in the photo and if I'd been a kid growing up in that complex, I wouldn't have been able to be kept away from messing around in them... An amazing happenstance that he lay undiscovered for so many years

Kids probably don't spend quite so much time playing outdoors these days, and the residents of apartment complexes like these I'd say wouldn't be very close knit (open to correction). Still odd though but not inexplicable.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

The denseness of evergreens would also be helpful to a homeless person sheltering from the weather.

I remember walking past a bunch of evergreen trees and it was absolutely webbing rain, we were soaked through, and we heard snoring from the trees. At the base, it was basically fully dry and there was a homeless man fast asleep oblivious to the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ah, God love him, the poor soul.

His troubles all over now, and family will have a grave. Peace to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Very sad
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/bones-dublin-remains-missingperson-stephencorrigan-18613226
    His mother had apparently stayed in contact with the Gardaí up to her death.

It also says in that article that his body was dumped there. I thought he may have sought shelter and died. Although it could be the journalists assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Suckit wrote: »
    It also says in that article that his body was dumped there. I thought he may have sought shelter and died. Although it could be the journalists assumption.
    Dublinlive is a rag. Those writing for it will throw in hysterical and inflammatory language wherever they can.

Sad end for the family alright. I feel sorry too for any residents of those apartments. They'd been coming and going for years, parking their cars literally 3 feet away from the poor man's body, completely unaware. I'd feel very guilty about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

seamus wrote: »
    Dublinlive is a rag. Those writing for it will throw in hysterical and inflammatory language wherever they can.

Sad end for the family alright. I feel sorry too for any residents of those apartments. They'd been coming and going for years, parking their cars literally 3 feet away from the poor man's body, completely unaware. I'd feel very guilty about it.

The staff are not very accurate on sites like DublinLive because people are unwilling to pay for quality journalism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

and yet mental illness and homelessness is all still a big laugh in this country

seamus wrote: »

There was bound to have been a heavy smell for some time. Maybe somebody did indeed report this to maintenance company (some better than others) and a cursory inspection was made, but not thorough enough. May have been assumed to be rats or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There was bound to have been a heavy smell for some time. Maybe somebody did indeed report this to maintenance company (some better than others) and a cursory inspection was made, but not thorough enough. May have been assumed to be rats or something like that.
    It's impossible to say really. Bodies don't always decompose in the same way, it's very dependent on the conditions. If he did indeed die during the big snow, then the decomposition could have been delayed by months, wth little or no smell when it actually began. Anyway, this is not the place for forensic speculation :)

Advertisement