Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jerk behaviour on public transport

Options
  • 21-01-2020 8:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I’m watching someone who sat near me, other side stick their leg out in the isle of the train, not just foot, much leg too.

People are literally climbing over to pass through on the train and no one has said anything. At the previous stop, someone actually tripped over, I guess they had shorter legs .

Small gripes and first world problems I know.... What is wrong with people? It’s a public space, not your place! I’ve seen other things but...one per day! Ha

See crap like this on your commute?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

mothers letting their children sit on the reserved & handicapped seats on packed luas and not tell them go give the seat up for frail or elderly people jammed into the aisles.

on sundy I watched a self entitled shew faced waggon with a grotesque size 3 wheeler buggy push it up an entire train carriage banging it off everyones arms and legs and snapping md narking at them to get to the other end of the carriage when there were two sets of 4 empty double seats free beside the door she came in.

dirty people who eat or drink and then just f**k the empty wrapper/can on the floor - or worse leave it on the seat to spill and soak into the upholstery

skobies who smoke and now vape on the bus - give yerself cancer but leave me out of it and no I dont want my hair to smell
    of strawberry vanilla frappuchino all day

people :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Elysium1 wrote: »
    I’m watching someone who sat near me, other side stick their leg out in the isle of the train, not just foot, much leg too.

People are literally climbing over to pass through on the train and no one has said anything. At the previous stop, someone actually tripped over, I guess they had shorter legs .

Small gripes and first world problems I know.... What is wrong with people? It’s a public space, not your place! I’ve seen other things but...one per day! Ha

Just stand on their ankle. Continue without apologising.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

A swift kick to the shin as I walk past is what I would be doing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Whilst a fellow passenger might have a fine singing voice in their own head, the rest of the carriage would not rather hear their vocal experiementations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

People blocking the entrance to the carriage when you're getting off is the obvious one.
    Enjoy dispensing liberal amounts of elbowing, shouldering and toe stamping as you squeeze through them, best accompanied by cheerful shouts of "so sorry there, excuse me" with a big smile so they know that you're doing it on purpose but can't say anything without coming off bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    People blocking the entrance to the carriage when you're getting off is the obvious one.
    Enjoy dispensing liberal amounts of elbowing, shouldering and toe stamping as you squeeze through them, best accompanied by cheerful shouts of "so sorry there, excuse me" with a big smile so they know that you're doing it on purpose but can't say anything without coming off bad.
    Gotta do it in a slightly stressed voice, with your head down and driving through the crowd like a rugby player!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ranting & Raving has a whole thread on this and it's great reading.

There's a punch in the face coming for the people that can't/don't wait to leave people off at stops before trying to board themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish people using the word "jerk".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Jerk?

Am I on reddit?

music/videos without earphones

speaking on a phone in anything other than the quietest tone you can manage, preferably to inform the caller that youre on the bus and cant really talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Hey, jerkface. You have the face of a jerk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

People not moving when you try to get off a busy bus or train. There is only one "sorry, excuse me" given out and then it's pushing with the potential to drag them off the train with me.

Sheep who get onto a bus and assume there are no seats upstairs because people are standing. Then the downstairs gets cramped because people are too simple to think for themselves and go to have a look for seats upstairs. I would say that 9/10 times there is a seat upstairs when you get onto a bus and people are standing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

music/videos without earphones

speaking on a phone in anything other than the quietest tone you can manage, preferably to inform the caller that youre on the bus and cant really talk

This. Nothing irritates me more. Every evening I have to put up with a video calling Eastern European shouting down the phone. Other times it's Irish shouting and roaring about their entire day with all the f'in and blinding.

If my phone rings I either reject call and text or answer quietly and say I'll ring them back as on bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

not just foot, much leg too.

Much leg, so jerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

How in the fcuk do Spanish women have so much to talk.about?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ONY

It’s very possible they had an injury that didn’t allow them to bend their leg!! I know someone who regularly has idiots bashing into their leg assuming they are just being rude by not moving it. They can’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

ONY wrote: »
    It’s very possible they had an injury that didn’t allow them to bend their leg!! I know someone who regularly has idiots bashing into their leg assuming they are just being rude by not moving it. They can’t!

While the person you know may be have that condition and be genuine. Around 99.9% of people who do the same don't and don't care about others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People on the Dart not opening windows when it's like a f*cking sauna as it's so packed and the heat is cranked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

People have full blown personal conversations at the top of their voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

People not taking off backpacks and hitting people with them is a big pet peeve of mine :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Peope blocking exits when you are trying to get off the bus, tram or train - a curt, clipped but polite"excuse me please" shifts some of them, but not all. That's where the rugby moves come into play...

People who take up disabled seats or priority seats for elderly/expectant mothers and then do not give them up when an elderly or pregnant person needs them. Height of bad manners and ignorance.

People having full blown conversations on their phones in as loud a tone of voice as posible.

And.....people who stand crowded around the stairs to the upper deck of the bus when there are seats upstairs and you want to get past them.

I'm such a grumpy misanthrope! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bombaby1974

People not moving when you try to get off a busy bus or train. There is only one "sorry, excuse me" given out and then it's pushing with the potential to drag them off the train with me.

Sheep who get onto a bus and assume there are no seats upstairs because people are standing. Then the downstairs gets cramped because people are too simple to think for themselves and go to have a look for seats upstairs. I would say that 9/10 times there is a seat upstairs when you get onto a bus and people are standing.

Hear you loud and clear. Get on the bus. If it's jammers, ask the driver "anything upstairs"? Driver glances at his screen thing and says " yeah loads".

Common sense is a lost art!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Hear you loud and clear. Get on the bus. If it's jammers, ask the driver "anything upstairs"? Driver glances at his screen thing and says " yeah loads".

Common sense is a lost art!!!

Was upstairs right at the back of the bus last week during morning rush hour. It filled but then a few got off leaving 5 empty seats in front of me. Saw someone come up the stairs and take a cursory glance and announce to who ever was behind them, "full up".
    Couldn't have missed seeing them but probably couldn't be bothered making their way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Rude idiots trying to cram their way in to the tram/train/bus without letting people off first is my all time favourite.

I also detest when people refuse to move down the Luas carriages and insist on standing near the doors resulting in others being unable to board the tram even though there's space. If this occurred on the Tube there'd be blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

good thread ! its no wonder people are reluctant to use public transport on a regular basis

This. Nothing irritates me more. Every evening I have to put up with a video calling Eastern European shouting down the phone. Other times it's Irish shouting and roaring about their entire day with all the f'in and blinding.

If my phone rings I either reject call and text or answer quietly and say I'll ring them back as on bus

Yeah particularly when they’re just playing music/videos off their phone on full volume I’ve begun making a point of just politely asking them to either put earphones in or turn it off.

I’ve found they either stop immediately or get defensive and start arguing (Wha?! Dyew own da bus do ya??!) in which case you just continue calmly explaining your request - the longer this goes on you’ll find more and more people sitting around will begin piping up on your side, once the initial step has been taken.

How in the fcuk do Spanish women have so much to talk.about?

FYP.

There was a girl beside me on the train, for whatever reason, we got sat beside each other regularly and at 7am in the morning she spent an hour talking to 'Mammy'. There'd be a moment or two of silence and then I'd hear. "I know that mammy, but what I said to him was blah blah blah"

The deep and powerful conversations I have with my Ma on the train is a text saying Ma, I'm on the train. I'll ring you later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

People who eat monster munch on confined public transport spaces are dead to me.
    Ditto tuna or egg sandwiches. Salt and vinegar crisps are a whippable offence.
    Cheap cans of lager cracked open on the train like we are all off to Torremolinos when we are only passing Mullingar. And then the honk of ya when you have just sucked the life out if a fag on the platform at a stop and then breathe it all back out to me when you get back in. Maybe combined with lager breath. Dead to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People who sit beside you on an almost empty bus, train, etc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Toerags who put their trotters on the seat opposite.

Advertisement