Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The real problem with Housing in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/family-of-eight-to-endure-a-fourth-homeless-christmas-1.4124143?mode=amp

Margaret cash round 2, no personal responsibility, complete gouging for a free gaf.

The father works as a courier which can mean quite long hours. It's a normal family and they are willing to pay whatever rent the council set

Ah that's bit harsh. Not comparable to the Cash case at all

Margaret cashs family would be a family unit if the justice system didnt keep taking daddy away.
    “Sold from under them” if the landlord was making money he wouldnt have sold or the bank may have taken it, dont put blame on him. They have a 3 bed apartment in dublin and are not homeless, theyve been on the housing list for over a decade and with that many kids it would be a miracle if they hadnt already been offered and refused a property. This is one of multiple stories about them campaigning fof 4 bed social houses so its clear what the target is.

The apartment doesnt have a back garden for horses so no use...

They’re a family United since his release from custody.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

I wonder when they were at it was someone saying the same about them?
    People only get what they are eligible for. Just because it's getting tighter doesn't mean those eligible are getting less deserving.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Please explain..who's they? My parents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The father works as a courier which can mean quite long hours. It's a normal family and they are willing to pay whatever rent the council set

The surname is the giveaway. I'm guessing it's exactly like the Cash case where no rent was paid and the only way to get rid of them was to sell the house. There have been a few houses where I live where the only way landlords were able to get rid of their nightmare tenants was to just sell up. The father of the kids is described as a Courier, that's fairly vague, it doesn't say how often he works or what his income is. 175 euro per fortnight in rent is nothing. With 6 kids and the bulk of their rent paid for them they're coining in more than a working couple with 2 kids who are renting privately or paying a mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

Yurt! wrote: »
    I have to laugh, a Neo-Thatcherite praising one of the most disastrous social engineering policies of the 20th century to have a pop at social housing lists in Ireland.

FYI many demographers and economists maintain the one child policy didn't actually have any effect on the fertility rate which was in steep decline by the early 80s in any case. Those that wanted to have additional children had them anyway in the countryside without a hukou. I've met several.

A fairly pathetic post. In a free society, people have the god-given and constitutionally granted right to have as many children as they please, no matter what proto-fascist goons on the internet say.

.. And goons on the Internet we hope they remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Anyway , housing ??
    Lack of houses ...? Too expensive to build new houses ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Too expensive to build apartments. If they were single aspect , they can be built much cheaper, way more efficient use of space. Of course there is the tax aspect too.

When lowvincome workers struggling to house themselves or can’t , paying a marginal tax rate if fifty percent. Of course Margaret cash etc will be brought up , workers could keep more of their income if there wasn’t a twenty one billion euro welfare slush fund!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Too expensive to build apartments. If they were single aspect , they can be built much cheaper, way more efficient use of space. Of course there is the tax aspect too.

When lowvincome workers struggling to house themselves or can’t , paying a marginal tax rate if fifty percent. Of course Margaret cash etc will be brought up , workers could keep more of their income if there wasn’t a twenty one billion euro welfare slush fund!

No low income workers pay 50% tax.

1 million low income workers in Ireland pay no income tax so I’ve no idea where you get that figure from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

1 million low income workers in Ireland pay no income tax so I’ve no idea where you get that figure from.

Above 35k-ish you're into a very high marginal rate of tax (something close to 50%, not sure the exact figure). In Dublin especially that isn't a particularly high income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Markcheese wrote: »
    Anyway , housing ??
    Lack of houses ...? Too expensive to build new houses ....

New reports today say developers want to slow down building new houses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

New reports today say developers want to slow down building new houses

market must be overheating!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The marginal rate which is fifty percent hits low income workers. 35k is a low income...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

mikemac2 wrote: »

4 kids post getting on the housing list is poor planning. What did they expect?

I hate when people run to the media on things like this, and the media bend over and spew out a sob story

Yurt! wrote: »
    You missed the part of the article where it's noted that the father is a taxpaying worker.

Rant rant rant, Margret Cash, MY TAXES.

You were subsidised, deal with it.

Can you explain what the family want?

They are in essence as secure as many renters up and down the country, with more bedrooms already then they can afford than if they were privately renting.

What do they want? Why are they do be treated better than private renters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Can you explain what the family want?

They are in essence as secure as many renters up and down the country, with more bedrooms already then they can afford than if they were privately renting.

What do they want? Why are they do be treated better than private renters?

Yes

They want a 5 bed house with a side entrance that they dont have to pay rent on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is there anyone on here who thinks there isn't a serious problem with housing ..? (For years now )
    Does every talk about housing have to come down to a they don't deserve it ...
    Housing is too expensive to build ,and it's pretty much too expensive to rent now ..
    People still need houses to live in ,before the state provided the housing and rent security , keeping the rents lower.
    Now the state is paying ,but very little rent security ,and the rates are going through the roof ... And we're short of houses.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is there anyone on here who thinks there isn't a serious problem with housing ..? (For years now )
    Does every talk about housing have to come down to a they don't deserve it ...
    Housing is too expensive to build ,and it's pretty much too expensive to rent now ..
    People still need houses to live in ,before the state provided the housing and rent security , keeping the rents lower.
    Now the state is paying ,but very little rent security ,and the rates are going through the roof ... And we're short of houses.

I think the problem is making housing affordable, as opposed to more social.

They need to utilise social stock alot better

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The surname is the giveaway. I'm guessing it's exactly like the Cash case where no rent was paid and the only way to get rid of them was to sell the house. There have been a few houses where I live where the only way landlords were able to get rid of their nightmare tenants was to just sell up. The father of the kids is described as a Courier, that's fairly vague, it doesn't say how often he works or what his income is. 175 euro per fortnight in rent is nothing. With 6 kids and the bulk of their rent paid for them they're coining in more than a working couple with 2 kids who are renting privately or paying a mortgage.

You have a certain manner of PlaneSpeeking when you post about Cash and Climate Change etc, it's almost familiar...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Anyone read this article:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/record-spend-of-120m-on-direct-provision-in-2019-38808625.html

The state expects to spend €120million in 2020 on the direct provision system. It mentions that there are approximately 6000 people in the direct provision system this Christmas. That works out at €20k per person. Unbelievabley bad value for money imo.

Jane98 wrote: »

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/record-spend-of-120m-on-direct-provision-in-2019-38808625.html

The state expects to spend €120million in 2020 on the direct provision system. It mentions that there are approximately 6000 people in the direct provision system this Christmas. That works out at €20k per person. Unbelievabley bad value for money imo.

Direct provision has nothing to do with homelessness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Those in direct provision need housing and the title of the thread is about housing and not homelessness.

Those in direct provision need housing and the title of the thread is about housing and not homelessness.

They have to be granted right to stay before housing becomes an issue. Though, the process could be speeded up somewhat. Just because they are given the right to stay doesn’t mean that the state has to house them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭enricoh

One in 6 are given permission to stay in Ireland- does this include the spoofers given leave to remain anyone know? They can repatriate their families once given the nod.god only knows the total cost of housing, welfare, repatriation etc once the stint in direct provision ends

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭enricoh

Really? So when their stint in direct provision ends and they are housed by the state where do they end up? In accommodation the government outbid the competition ie ordinary workers for, thus reduucing housing stock. or are they housed in some parallel universe I haven't heard of ?!

enricoh wrote: »
    Really? So when their stint in direct provision ends and they are housed by the state where do they end up? In accommodation the government outbid the competition is ordinary workers for, thus reduucing housing stock. or are they housed in some parallel universe I haven't heard of ?!

Hopefully, they end up in steady jobs and can afford to pay for their own needs. Same as the vast majority of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Hopefully, they end up in steady jobs and can afford to pay for their own needs. Same as the vast majority of us.

if even 10% ended up that way in my lifetime id be shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

that building at 21 Aungier Street, surely it could not really include 71 apartments.
    (but imo it is good that the Council would consider handing it over), though, to who?

The Peter McVerry Trust, prob., but should this be an 'interim' arrangement and a defined timespan.

The people that built these buildings in the first place, did so with clarity and alacrity; and so, they are lovely buildings; and, thus, have stood the test of time. The Dublin Historic society are perfectly right to be worried. These are Dublin.

71 apartments may be far too many; - compromise the windows (and even Napoleon had laws about windows), and voila, the building outlook (and fabric) is damaged.

But, in Dublin, the main begrudgery, about inner city housing, is: Ceilings. These are probably 10ft., (now most are 8ft.).

Do the very poor 'deserve' these.... with one strong proviso; when in situ they themselves assess and pay maintenance. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

enricoh wrote: »
    Really? So when their stint in direct provision ends and they are housed by the state where do they end up? In accommodation the government outbid the competition ie ordinary workers for, thus reduucing housing stock. or are they housed in some parallel universe I haven't heard of ?!

They’ll go into private accommodation rented by the state, where else would they go?, everyone knows this.
    The idea that there is no connection between housing asylum seekers/economic migrants and the supply of houses available to locals is ridiculous.
    50 more Syrians just arrived yesterday to be housed here, are they all just going to find jobs and house themselves?
    The only unsafe are in Libya is Idlib, surely they could find a safe area somewhere else in Libya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Wow, let's blame asylum seekers ahh?

How's about the young Spanish cleaner (in my work) with a zero hours contract, shares a room with a complete stranger in a house of 13 people. And the Romanian girl who mobs up puke and **** daily in the hospital, who is living in a house with 9 others and could not afford the fare to fly home for Christmas, no holiday pay either. How's about instead of trying to blame foreigners, we remember who is actually doing what in this country and CONTRIBUTING. Who speaks up for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Chinasea wrote: »
    Wow, let's blame asylum seekers ahh?

How's about the young Spanish cleaner (in my work) with a zero hours contract, shares a room with a complete stranger in a house of 13 people. And the Romanian girl who mobs up puke and **** daily in the hospital, who is living in a house with 9 others and could not afford the fare to fly home for Christmas, no holiday pay either. How's about instead of trying to blame foreigners, we remember who is actually doing what in this country and CONTRIBUTING. Who speaks up for them.

Why come here if life is ****e here?

Advertisement