Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The real problem with Housing in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Calhoun wrote: »
    Indeed I would say this is the biggest roadblock to social housing, not just the eviction of tenants not paying but also the lack of control over their own housing stock.

To ensure the social housing is getting best bang for it's buck people should be moved around based upon need.and within reason. Mainly what I am pointing at is an older couple living in a family home, when there are families in need.

Already exists :)

DCC & the Iveagh Trust redeveloped Annamore Court in Ballyfermot Dublin. Its a small site of 70 x 1 bed flats and the elderly can apply.

The flats are small but extremely modern. Activities rooms are available for whatever the residents want to meet up for.

There is a full time caretaker on site to look after any maintenance issues.

And it had the desired results of freeing up family homes in the area.

A rare success story

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/family-of-eight-to-endure-a-fourth-homeless-christmas-1.4124143?mode=amp

Margaret cash round 2, no personal responsibility, complete gouging for a free gaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/family-of-eight-to-endure-a-fourth-homeless-christmas-1.4124143?mode=amp

Margaret cash round 2, no personal responsibility, complete gouging for a free gaf.

The second-floor, three-bedroom apartment is one of 65 in the complex accommodating homeless families. Colleen and John pay €175 a fortnight in rent.

“They just aren’t building enough four-beds.” She says the council should buy larger houses to let to larger families like hers effectively stuck in homelessness.

The family’s local TD and Sinn Féin’s spokesman on housing, Eoin Ó Broin, agrees.

WTF are they giving out about!???

How is this considered homeless ffs.

The second-floor, three-bedroom apartment is one of 65 in the complex accommodating homeless families. Colleen and John pay €175 a fortnight in rent.

“They just aren’t building enough four-beds.” She says the council should buy larger houses to let to larger families like hers effectively stuck in homelessness.

The family’s local TD and Sinn Féin’s spokesman on housing, Eoin Ó Broin, agrees.

WTF are they giving out about!???

How is this considered homeless ffs.

Clearly want a 5 bed gaf for 30 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The father works and they are a family unit - they were in a stable renting situation for 5 years before the house was sold from under them.

Your Margret Cash card has been revoked. Do not pass go, do not bother this thread again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

I personally know this family and you are so far off the mark it's not even funny. But hey keep stereotyping everyone and putting them into your favorite little box if it makes you happy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I personally know this family and you are so far off the mark it's not even funny. But hey keep stereotyping everyone and putting them into your favorite little box if it makes you happy. :rolleyes:

Yeah those kids just popped out themselves but somebody else I.e. the taxpayer needs to pay for them.

People pay a lot of tax in Ireland and they are entitled to know where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Why are they so far off the mark?
    The are 2 types of people when it comes to having children. There are those that plan their family and realise their limitations with respect to their income and the size of house they might require longterm...and then there are those like your friends who don't even seem to put any thought into how they might afford 5 kids on a low paying job but go ahead and keep breeding anyway and end up struggling to provide for the kids.
    If you can offer any insight into their way of thinking I am all ears though...

People are entitled to have as many or as few children as they please. One of the liberties we enjoy in a free society. Neo-Thatcherites can judge away, we don't have a Chinese Communist Party one child system.

maninasia wrote: »
    they are entitled to know where it goes.

In this case it goes to protecting children from the excesses of a f*cked up 'property market'. Children's allowance probably paid for the shoes on your feet going to school when you were in short pants.

You have your answer now

• Advertisement

Yurt! wrote: »
    The father works and they are a family unit - they were in a stable renting situation for 5 years before the house was sold from under them.

Your Margret Cash card has been revoked. Do not pass go, do not bother this thread again.

Margaret cashs family would be a family unit if the justice system didnt keep taking daddy away.
    “Sold from under them” if the landlord was making money he wouldnt have sold or the bank may have taken it, dont put blame on him. They have a 3 bed apartment in dublin and are not homeless, theyve been on the housing list for over a decade and with that many kids it would be a miracle if they hadnt already been offered and refused a property. This is one of multiple stories about them campaigning fof 4 bed social houses so its clear what the target is.

The apartment doesnt have a back garden for horses so no use...

Margaret cashs family would be a family unit if the justice system didnt keep taking daddy away.
    “Sold from under them” if the landlord was making money he wouldnt have sold or the bank may have taken it, dont put blame on him. They have a 3 bed apartment in dublin and are not homeless, theyve been on the housing list for over a decade and with that many kids it would be a miracle if they hadnt already been offered and refused a property. This is one of multiple stories about them campaigning fof 4 bed social houses so its clear what the target is.

Poor landlord man. No agency whatsoever.

Margret Caaaaaaaaaaash *howls at the moon*

I genuinely think that anyone who invokes Margret Cash in a thread should be given a yellow card. It's boards' very own home-grown Godwin's Law. Bores people to tears.

People are entitled to have as many or as few children as they please. One of the liberties we enjoy in a free society. Neo-Thatcherites can judge away, we don't have a Chinese Communist Party one child system.

So you're ok with taxpayers money being used to rear all these children (badly in most cases)?...and for this cycle to continue?

So you're ok with taxpayers money being used to rear all these children (badly in most cases)?...and for this cycle to continue?

You're parents were handed money to the state to rear you. Maybe I should write to the minister of Social Protection and request that she gets them to ask for a refund.

You have no idea the quality of parents these people are, another poster has signalled that he/she knows them and you're off the mark - you're displaying pretty ugly classism.

Happy Christmas, I hope Santa comes.

I'm sure X11111....can give us some insight into how many homes they have been offered and refused( but probably won't).

I'm sure X11111....can give us some insight into how many homes they have been offered and refused( but probably won't).

Peace to all men, Christmas Eve and boards is still stack full of people that want to spend their down time ranting about people on the housing list. I bet Christmas dinner will be a mad laugh in your house.

Peace to all men, Christmas Eve and boards is still stack full of people that want to spend their down time ranting about people on the housing list. I bet Christmas dinner will be a mad laugh in your house.

And you’re here countering that point of view:)

Have you nothing better to do:)

You're parents were handed money to the state to rear you. Maybe I should write to the minister of Social Protection and request that she gets them to ask for a refund.

You have no idea the quality of parents these people are, another poster has signalled that he/she knows them and you're off the mark - you're displaying pretty ugly classism.

Happy Christmas, I hope Santa comes.

There's a huge difference between my parents working all their lives, paying for their own house, paying tax on their earnings and then getting a little bit of children's allowance when they had children to the handouts some of these people get from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

i dont get this idea that in ireland each person somehow is entitetled to own home, specially in places like capital, in most europe people rent flats some for life, and it works out ok, but in Ireland attitude is somehow people even those who litterally never worked in their life are entitetled by tax payers to have them housed.

there isnt shortage of houses, maybe bitter lack of peoples expectations, as to what they should be entitled and how it should be earned.

until social issues are tackled and simple encouragement from goverment for companies to be attrated to more spots then few major hubs where it creates massive demand and other issues, theres tons of different aspects but, solution isnt to build as many houses and just give them to people- as long term given current criteria and benefit system it will just encourage more people to rely on state, when abled bodied people cant save, or work, one should ask is the issue really housing - or welfare system that basically rewards those in many cases that need it least. we cant all own plush houses costing 4-600k yet some manage to get it free. Not bashing those unfortunate, but theres bigger plays that shape views of people in this country then simple lack of oh no theres not enough houses.

There's a huge difference between my parents working all their lives, paying for their own house, paying tax on their earnings and then getting a little bit of children's allowance when they had children to the handouts some of these people get from the government.

You missed the part of the article where it's noted that the father is a taxpaying worker.

Rant rant rant, Margret Cash, MY TAXES.

You were subsidised, deal with it.

• Advertisement

You missed the part of the article where it's noted that the father is a taxpaying worker.

Would you like to hazard a guess at his paye deductions from his pay cheque? He is a courier so most likely on a little above minimum wage. My guess is 3/5 of f#$k all compared to what he receives from the government.
    We have to get past this idea that it's ok for people to contribute a tiny but to society while receiving multiples in return.

Would you like to hazard a guess at his paye deductions from his pay cheque? He is a courier so most likely on a little above minimum wage. My guess is 3/5 of f#$k all compared to what he receives from the government.
    We have to get past this idea that it's ok for people to contribute a tiny but to society while receiving multiples in return.

1 million working people in Ireland pay no income tax.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/more-than-1-million-workers-will-not-pay-income-tax-this-year-1.3544848%3fmode=amp

Both parents not working in Mags case.

So the tax payer funds every single thing in the parents and kids lives.

Everything.

It’s an absolute joke.

Unequal society is correct.

Both parents not working in Mags case.

So the tax payer funds every single thing in the parents and kids lives.

Everything.

It’s an absolute joke.

Unequal society is correct.

Someone will be along soon to tell you that they pay vat so they are taxpayers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

It say's more about the type of character you are judging this family without even knowing them.

They're entitled to have as many kids as they want if they can reasonably support them. Believing that the Taxpayer/State will support their family beyond a certain amount (say 2 children) isn't reasonable and that expectation needs to be shut down.

And China was one of the few countries to have population controls, and it was perfectly justifiable at the time. It wasn't about politics, exercising control, or being a totalitarian state. A poor country with a massive population with no social support for people who fell on hard times. They'd also went through a variety of famines and disasters within a few years of the one child policy being implemented. China removed the one child policy once it had reached the point where most families could provide for their children. There's still extremely little social support here, and there is no expectation for the state to provide for families who live beyond their means.

Because that's what you're saying here. That people are entitled to be irresponsible if they wish to have more children than they can realistically support, and provide for.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

totally ridiculous! but not a patch on the welfare **** show, I'd be up for USC abolition... Of course its not entirely responsible, BUT it would be better for the economy and workers and competitiveness, than simply throwing Half the money at welfare increases and the other at income tax cuts. If a new party here were formed, first stop would be USC abolition as far as I am concerned!

" but how do you pay for it" no welfare increases for several years, simple. Its already an obscene welfare spend, the way the marginal rate of tax is obscene!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

In this case it goes to protecting children from the excesses of a f*cked up 'property market'. Children's allowance probably paid for the shoes on your feet going to school when you were in short pants.

You have your answer now

Is it hard to move and get a job for the parents ?
    Some sanctimonious bukk****.

They're entitled to have as many kids as they want if they can reasonably support them. Believing that the Taxpayer/State will support their family beyond a certain amount (say 2 children) isn't reasonable and that expectation needs to be shut down.

And China was one of the few countries to have population controls, and it was perfectly justifiable at the time. It wasn't about politics, exercising control, or being a totalitarian state. A poor country with a massive population with no social support for people who fell on hard times. They'd also went through a variety of famines and disasters within a few years of the one child policy being implemented. China removed the one child policy once it had reached the point where most families could provide for their children. There's still extremely little social support here, and there is no expectation for the state to provide for families who live beyond their means.

Because that's what you're saying here. That people are entitled to be irresponsible if they wish to have more children than they can realistically support, and provide for.

I have to laugh, a Neo-Thatcherite praising one of the most disastrous social engineering policies of the 20th century to have a pop at social housing lists in Ireland.

FYI many demographers and economists maintain the one child policy didn't actually have any effect on the fertility rate which was in steep decline by the early 80s in any case. Those that wanted to have additional children had them anyway in the countryside without a hukou. I've met several.

A fairly pathetic post. In a free society, people have the god-given and constitutionally granted right to have as many children as they please, no matter what proto-fascist goons on the internet say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I wonder when they were at it was someone saying the same about them?
    People only get what they are eligible for. Just because it's getting tighter doesn't mean those eligible are getting less deserving.

Advertisement