Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-08-2019, 12:44   #1
Necro

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

Right, let's get this crack-a-lackin.

Welcome everyone to our Walrus Reveal Thread!

I'm Necro, your co-hostest with the mostest

And it's finally time to reveal my co-judge and the brains of the operation.

GARY SINISE!!

Wait... that's not right... although his hair is as equally amazing.

Spoiler: It's Stu Redman - Stephen King fans will get it

Anyways Stu and I have been delighted to receive 17 entries for the following 6 categories, and we've been casting our shackles aside and listening with fervour to them for the past 2 weeks.

Firstly, the categories:

1. The Ballad of Chacey Lain
  2. Favourite Irish Song
  3. A Song For Europe
  4. Lord/Lady of the Dance
  5. 'Forever Young'
  6. Best Song In The World

So... how is this going to work given this is a first (on Boards) attempt at co-judging categories.

What if Stu loves a tune and Necro wants to burn it with fire?
What if Necro loves a song and Stu thinks it's only ok?

Well here's basically how this is going to work.

Both of us will score the entries out of 17 - the number of entries we have. Points will be applied from 1 right up to 17 with maybe some divergences if there are duplicate entries.

We have not communicated (much anyways) to each other at all our preferences until compiling, nor did we pay any attention to who actually submitted what.

We will alternate turns at doing the reveal - so I will go first, Stu second, me third, Stu fourth and myself 5th - and then we will do a joint reveal for the final category.

Here's a basic idea of how the judging will go:

Quote:
1st - Oasis - The Masterplan

Necro: Here is where Necro would write his bit about the song, whether he likes it or not (it's Oasis, it's fooking masterful), hopefully a decent few words since the fcuker was able to make 800+ posts in a game of WW!! Can also say something like 'It's such a pleasure to have Stu on board' if he likes...which he probably will.

Stu Redman: I love Oasis, best band of all time - Necro is right you're all wrong!!

Scores:

Necro: 1st
Stu Redman: 1st

Total 17 points

submitted by:
This is obviously a direct quote from Stu above, ask him yourself if you doubt me

Spoiler: May not be a direct quote from Stu

First reveal is scheduled for tomorrow evening. Will inform you all of what time at some stage tomorrow

——————————————

Playlist for all songs submitted per round:

The Ballad of Chasey Lain

Favourite Irish Songs

A Song for Europe

Forever Young

Lord/Lady Of The Dance

Best Song In The World

Last edited by quickbeam; 13-09-2019 at 13:41.
Advertisement
24-08-2019, 13:06   #2
tusk

17! Wow. I feel so betrayed right now
Thanks from:
24-08-2019, 14:14   #3
fixXxer

Well this should be interesting
Thanks from:
24-08-2019, 15:24   #4
Stu Redman

Necro: "Hey Stu, fancy coming up with a couple of categories to judge in Walrus?"

Stu: "Sure buddy, I can listen to some tunes."

*some time passes*

Necro: "Come ere you might judge them all with me, sure why not!"

Stu:

Que 6 playlists, 104 songs, and me having flashbacks to last August's Stephen King WW preparations. Quickbeam has done so well not to get an SOS from me

Seriously though, it's been great fun and has taken me out of my comfort zone. Thanks to Necro for bringing me in on this.

This first category, The Ballad of Chasey Lain, was really tough to score but for all the right reasons. There was only one song I hated
(4) thanks from:
24-08-2019, 15:35   #5
Stu Redman

You might be surprised Necro, but Oasis were the greatest band in the world for me back then, especially when that Masterplan B-Sides album was released.

The very first band I was in we played mostly Oasis and Manics songs, a lot of them, and the really deep cuts too...

LOL...our mothers and aunties coming to gigs to hear this sorta stuff. "Ah aren't they....great :/ "
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
24-08-2019, 15:39   #6
Necro

I LOVED that Manics album.

My mate had OCD about the Manics and followed them everywhere.

Actually this would have been a great entry for the first category for me anyways

(Not the same album, but you get where I'm going)
24-08-2019, 15:48   #7
Necro

I actually sang that song for my Music Practical in JC, and two mates playing the guitar riffs behind me.

Ah... simpler times.
(4) thanks from:
24-08-2019, 17:09   #8
Pretzill

I just realised I got the category order wrong, it should be obvious - but if it isn't my 3 is your 4 and vice versa.

Can't wait to hear everyone's choice.

24-08-2019, 17:13   #9
Necro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzill View Post
I just realised I got the category order wrong, it should be obvious - but if it isn't my 3 is your 4 and vice versa.

Can't wait to hear everyone's choice.
You're grand, you had the categories handily listed beside your entries
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-08-2019, 10:13   #10
Stu Redman

Not too long to go now until we reveal the list of songs and their rankings, which will decide who wins this first round of this prestigious competition, where we asked to receive songs from the entrants for us to then go off and listen and decide carefully which song places highest and which song places lowest, here in this competition to see just whooooo....is the King of the Walruses...Walrei oh no wait it is Walruses.

Thanks from:
25-08-2019, 10:32   #11
Necro

Aiming to kick this off sometime around 6.30-7pm folks
(2) thanks from:
25-08-2019, 11:33   #12
sullivlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Redman View Post
Necro: "Hey Stu, fancy coming up with a couple of categories to judge in Walrus?"

Stu: "Sure buddy, I can listen to some tunes."

*some time passes*

Necro: "Come ere you might judge them all with me, sure why not!"

Stu:

Que 6 playlists, 104 songs, and me having flashbacks to last August's Stephen King WW preparations. Quickbeam has done so well not to get an SOS from me

Seriously though, it's been great fun and has taken me out of my comfort zone. Thanks to Necro for bringing me in on this.

This first category, The Ballad of Chasey Lain, was really tough to score but for all the right reasons. There was only one song I hated
Now I'm nervous.
Thanks from:
25-08-2019, 11:43   #13
Stu Redman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivlo View Post
Now I'm nervous.
Whoever submitted it, I hope they don't take offence or anything personal from it.

After all, I didn't when I had to listen to it
(2) thanks from:
25-08-2019, 12:02   #14
Stu Redman

The Ballad of Chasey Lain. A croony love song or an anthem of power? We just LOVE our ballads. Send us one that you just can’t get out of your head.

This was a tough category to define given Necro's wide parameters for an accessible first round to kick us off. This category's interpretation isn't exactly 'what it says on the tin'. Not as binary as other categories in our game.

So I'm kind of going for epic here, moving melodies, varied instrumentation, memorable choruses, moods created with the instrumentation and arrangement, can the artist write/sing about love? If not, can they get me off my seat to do my own interpretation of dancing?

Kate Bush, she could sing about love...

This is certainly an anthem to make people get off their seats and sing along...

See you this evening folks.
25-08-2019, 12:07   #15
Necro

Interestingly no one decided to go for the song that inspired the name of this category

NSFW, folks:

(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion