Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

fixxxer wrote: »
    Not always :D

Shhhh.... :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oof, welcome to Walrus Sheridan :(

We've all been there, it'll get better!

Yeah when I finally stopped listening to the playlist and I started putting names to the songs, I felt pretty bad :(

Just didnt click with me unfortunately.

Necro wrote: »
    Yeah when I finally stopped listening to the playlist and I started putting names to the songs, I felt pretty bad :(

Just didnt click with me unfortunately.

The first song of the first walrus I was second bottom. One day I'll recover and stop hating Rikand ;)

It wasn't last for me, I didn't hate it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The first song of the first walrus I was second bottom. One day I'll recover and stop hating Rikand ;)

I know I was near the bottom in the first one too ( Beatles Cover - I never reCovered. :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

And yet you bounced back in the 2nd walrus ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Speaking of that Stu....

Well....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

It wasn't last for me, I didn't hate it :pac:

Oooh a rift between the judges already!

15th Place: Jamie Lawson - Wasn’t Expecting That

Necro: I go up and down with this song, it’s a bit slow moving, bit repetitive. Listened to it though without the video which is a bit boring and enjoyed it much more. The major issue is that while it’s a nice little song, it doesn’t ‘wow’ me, like some of the later entries do.

Stu Redman: This is one of those songs where from the moment I heard it on the radio upon its release, the over-repeated hook just etched at my soul with a blunt nail. An instant dial-reacher. As opposed to something like When You Let Her Go from Passenger, the first few times I heard that song, I was like "Aww that's nice", but since then I consider it to be one of the worst things to happen to music since Mark David Chapman set out with his gun and autograph book one cold night in '86. Well this Jamie Lawson number, I don't mean to offend whoever submitted it at all, is just a song I can't abide in any category. It's the constant repetition of 'I wasn't expecting that'. Yeah, he's telling a story, but there's no need to bate the shyte out of us with that hook. Those kind of songs either work or don't work for people, the person who submitted and I are just on opposite sides of the divide here.

Scores:
    Necro: 13th
    Stu: 17th

3 points to
    Rikand

Haha, Rikand? I wasn't expecting that!

Sorry, but not to Jamie Lawson.

• Advertisement

14th Place - Tom Waits - Grapefruit Moon

Necro: One of the two entries I just didn’t really like of the category. I’ve heard great things about Waits but every time I listen to him - his voice, whilst good puts me to sleep. Ok so I do sort of like the melody but his voice just doesn’t resonate with me like other entries did. Sorry again :(

Stu Redman: You can't really have a ballad category without something from Tom. Anything off of 'Closing Time' featuring Tom at a piano, and I'm instantly placed in a smokey lounge somewhere in Manhattan wistfully wondering about the one that got away. Grapefruit Moon totally does that for me. Doesn't rank higher because I need my epic drum fills and/or deep beats in this round

Scores:
    Necro: 16th
    Stu: 9th

4 points to
    Deleted User

Lovely choice Homer

Love your honesty about Tom Waits, Necro.

I'm sorry :( I just can't get enjoyment out of his voice I dunno what's wrong with me

I'm sorry :( I just can't get enjoyment out of his voice I dunno what's wrong with me

He isn't for everyone. Tom Traubert's Blues is special though, but I get the sleepy thing. It's like Van Morrisson with me, I actually fell asleep once at work listening to Van. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Love Tom Waits, but yeah he's not for everyone.

Any Waits fans should check out his former Child Minder Jesca Hoop. Wonderful voice and well worth a listen.

13th Place - Bryan Adams - Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman

Necro: First impressions were decent, though a bit slow. I think if you’re submitting Bryan Adams to a Ballad category it’s very hard to look past Everything I Do and Heaven. There’s no denying it’s a quality track, but unfortunately for our entrant and Mr. Adams there are better ones coming up. Thanks though, I do like this one.

Stu Redman: Yep, this was part of a crop of ballads I couldn't stop listening to in the early-mid 90s. This, Stay from Lisa Loeb, Kiss From A Rose by Seal, Where The Wild Roses Grow from Nick and Kylie. I feel Bryan Adams is such an underrated songwriter and performer - Very easy to laugh off Summer of 69 and bunch him into some 'meat and potatoes' or 'guilty pleasure' category, but tunes like this show the diversity and range in his songwriting. Great tune, but if you had have submitted All For One And One For All or Everything I Do, those would have scored even higher with me personally in this category.

Scores:
    Necro: 12th
    Stu: 11th

5 Points to
    kitten k

Four in and they were all new to me!
    I like that :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Too black and white?

This is probably his most accessible song. If you don't like this or Grapefruit Moon, maybe it's a lost cause...

My link is failing, but it's a song called I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You.

Edit 2: Link success! Thanks Electric Nitwit.

• Advertisement

I was actually kind of laughing this morning when compiling the reveal as Stu kind of said the same thing as I was saying with kitten's choice. :D

Great track this one too though!

The one song I did like of Waits was actually this one

This is probably his most accessible song. If you don't like this or Grapefruit Moon, maybe it's a lost cause...

My link is failing, but it's a song called I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You.

The youtu.be style short links don't work, but you can just include the code so (youtube)MRyYayGtRBo(/youtube), but with square brackets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

I didn't know that worked. I do love the tune.

12th Place - Kacey Musgraves - Butterflies

Necro: This one is a grower. Initially it’s a bit meh, but a couple of listens and I’m starting to like this one now. A couple of more listens and I’m just smiling all the time to the chorus. It’s just such a happy song and things that make me happy deserve rewarding, great entry.

Stu Redman: Has the lawsuit happened yet for the melody borrowed in the verses from Lana Del Rey's Video Games? No? Never heard this song before, or the artist, but I do like it. The chorus is quite catchy and the simple yet very effective piano is great. That's an example of an instrument serving the song rather than just being thrown in there for the sake of it, love it. With these artists/bands I've never heard before, something I find that is factoring into my judging is 'Do I want to hear more from this artist?' Yes is the answer to that question here. Tough round to score where the rankings don't do my actual enjoyment of some of the songs justice. This song is a prime example of that.

Scores:
    Necro: 9th
    Stu: 13th

6 points to
    Green&Red

That's very catchy and bright - never heard it before.

Short interlude whilst I pour myself some whiskey and have a cigar like one of those hob knob music reviewers from the movies ;)

Awww. Well I appreciate the honesty Necro, though I actually thought this would be one of my better-scoring categories. Doesn't bode too well for the rest of my choices! :p

Martha was the other Waits song I was considering for this category; don't know if that would've scored any better?

In fairness though it's hard to appreciate any song if you just don't like the voice; I find Paul Simon's voice quite grating and unpleasant. Same with Joanna Newsome and Michael Bublé. And even Elvis (although Suspicious Minds is still an absolute choooon!)

11th Place - Bread - Make It With You

Necro: I like this track, it’s a nice croony ballad and the message in the lyrics is lovely. I guess the reason it’s lower down than others is it’s not one I’d be rushing to put on a must play list. Also there are some absolute crackers coming up and I have to somehow sort them.

Stu Redman: "What the hell is this? I feel like I'm being taken to get my first training bra." - Ah but seriously, this is beautiful. I feel like I'm in LA in the 70s with flowers in my hair. Artists like this could write and sing about love just like Necro can throw up 800 posts in a WW games - effortlessly. Listen to the sound of that recording, the space in there. They can, but they just don't produce em like that anymore. This is music.

Scores:
    Necro: 14th
    Stu: 8th

7 points to
    Pretzill

• Advertisement

Awww. Well I appreciate the honesty Necro, though I actually thought this would be one of my better-scoring categories. Doesn't bode too well for the rest of my choices! :p

Martha was the other Waits song I was considering for this category; don't know if that would've scored any better?

Would have actually. Maybe it was just the song, soz :(

Advertisement