Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS Walrus Reveal Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I was surprised it wasn't lower down as I did read the category wrong, and thought love songs rather than Ballads. But yeah thanks Stu it's true what you say, a lot of space in the recording.

Ohh the anticipation. I can't remember what song I submitted. I can't remember if I submitted a song at all.

Awww. Well I appreciate the honesty Necro, though I actually thought this would be one of my better-scoring categories. Doesn't bode too well for the rest of my choices! :p

Martha was the other Waits song I was considering for this category; don't know if that would've scored any better?

That or 'Lonely' would have scored even better with me. They were the songs which first brought me to Tom Waits.

Great choice though Homer.

Sounds cheesy, but everyone's a winner in this round, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Everyone except Jamie Lawson :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Coming up next we enter the

ZpCAV7.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

10th Place - Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is

Necro: So I love this song.The chorus is iconic and the sort of thing I’d be blasting it out at a house party at 3 in the morning. People would be looking like me as if I was insane initially but by the time it rolls around a second time the entire house is singing it. Classic tune.

Stu Redman: You know what, finally in my mid 30s I think it's time to admit that this is not a favorite power ballad of mine. I'm hugely into the genre and was practically born and raised on it and classic rock, but I never put on this song by my own choosing now that I think about it. I respect this song more than I like it, I want to love it but I don't actually. Creates a wonderful mood with the music for the tone of the lyrics, but as I said it's all respect I have and not enough love. It's been with me a long time, it's better than 80% of what's written out there, but I don't willfully listen to it that often or at all really.

Scores:
    Necro: 5th
    Stu: 14th

8 points to
    SupercalifragilsticOSHpeealidocious

Slight difference of opinion from the judges on this one :pac:

• Advertisement

Whoopsie doodles :o

Pretzill wrote: »
    I was surprised it wasn't lower down as I did read the category wrong, and thought love songs rather than Ballads. But yeah thanks Stu it's true what you say, a lot of space in the recording.

It was a tough category to define, or guess exactly what Necro was looking to hear - The round is named after one of the most explicit hits of the late 90s, from a band who aren't exactly famous for love ballads :pac:

I don't think the singer in the Bloodhound Gang loves Chasey Lain, that's not exactly what he's...reaching for :D

When judges differ walruses stop singing :)

Whoopsie doodles :o

Ah it didn't work out that bad for you MJ, tbf, Bounty went on to win the game for ye!

Oh wait...

Walrus, is right.

I love that Paul Brady rendition and it put me in an awful spot for this round. Repsect for the entry MJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ah it didn't work out that bad for you MJ, tbf, Bounty went on to win the game for ye!

Oh wait...

It is WAY too soon to be joking about that

;_;

• Advertisement

9th Place - Journey - Don’t Stop Believin’

Necro: I actually feel pretty bad putting this belter down the list so far, because it deserves so much more love. Trouble is, I’ve given it so much love over the past decade in particular that it doesn’t resonate as much as it used to. Every drunk going wants to belt this one out now. So unfortunately it has to suffer in the rankings. Not too much though.

Stu Redman: Many are tired of hearing it, many of my colleagues are tired of playing it, but I always will adore this love power anthem. Long before The Sopranos reignited it and the career of Journey, as a boy I got this on a 'Guitar Legends' mix-CD from a local guitar player I idolised. 'Don't Stop Believing' got spun repeatedly until the CD skipped beyond acceptable use. Everything put to tape on this song is pure shiny perfection, a great song for the genre, a great song for this category.

Scores:
    Necro: 9th
    Stu: 7th

9 points to
    Deleted User

• Registered Users Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    I respect this song more than I like it, I want to love it but I don't actually. Creates a wonderful mood with the music for the tone of the lyrics, but as I said it's all respect I have and not enough love.

Only reading that did I realise that's exactly how I feel about it too

Pretzill wrote: »
    When judges differ walruses stop singing :)

...plus the more we differ on a song, the further apart Necro puts our opinions in the reveal post. Just look at the distance he's trying to put between our opinions in that Foreigner post :D

Oh wait...

Walrus, is right.

I love that Paul Brady rendition and it put me in an awful spot for this round. Repsect for the entry MJ.

:D

Not the first time my poor understanding of the English langauge has cost me in Forum games and it wont be the last

I hadn't listened to Paul for ages untill recently and forgot how much I love his songs

Absolute belter from osh. Great choice!

Sad to see how the mighty have fallen though:
    In Hartford, Connecticut on June 24, 2015, Foreigner began a summer tour as the opening act for Kid Rock.[23]]

...plus the more we differ on a song, the further apart Necro puts our opinions in the reveal post. Just look at the distance he's trying to put between our opinions in that Foreigner post :D

Ha, that's my bad formatting :o

fixxxer wrote: »
    It is WAY too soon to be joking about that

;_;

Ah here, I can't even bring myself to give game feedback yet, way too soon indeed!

:D

Not the first time my poor understanding of the English langauge has cost me in Forum games and it wont be the last

I hadn't listened to Paul for ages untill recently and forgot how much I love his songs

Not at all MJ, what you submitted was a ballad by the truest sense of the word.

Taking the hair and cheese element away from the description, Paul Brady and Tom Waits should have aced this round.

Speaking of hair and cheese...

8th Place - P!nk - Raise Your Glass

Necro: Well firstly, it’s Pink and I fooking love Pink. Having recently seen her live I also was blown away with this song at the concert. The chorus is just epic, she’s such an under-rated act imo. Secondly it's just such an upbeat song which always puts me in the mood for a good night out. Love it :)

Stu Redman: Ah, good ol' Pink, teaching our little girls that it's ok to be cheeky buggers for about 15 years now! Yeah this has anthemic qualities, big time, and I have a guilty pleasure for those Scandanavian-written power pop female choruses a la Katy Perry's California Girls. Most of the pop hits of today are written by the same few writers. Max Martin is the guy responsible for this and California Girls, and he is gifted at writing and recycling modern pop anthems. Just as Pink is gifted at delivering them. On the right brand of whisky, in the right room, on a balloon-poaching kind of night, I'd throw shapes to this.

Scores:
    Necro: 4th
    Stu: 10th

10 points to
    Mollyb60

Another differing opinion here, not as vast though. Will there be more...

Let's find out :D

• Advertisement

7th Place - Bon Jovi - Bed of Roses

Necro: As put to me in their submission - ‘the greatest rock ballad of all time.’ Can’t really argue with that. Love this song, have done many a bad karaoke to this one. You just want to belt out that chorus. I have a lot of love for Bon Jovi and a lot of their hits around this time are on my repeated play list.

Stu Redman: This is one of a few epic rock ballads which were submitted which all could have scored quite well for me in this category. Love them or hate them, back then Bon Jovi could deliver a love ballad and Bed of Roses is them cheesing it up at their finest. Jon vocally at his best, that guitar solo from Sambora just pure filth. Wonder how the one guy can land Heather Locklear and Denise Richards as spouses? It's all there from 4:07 in this video. Plus it was an excellent song to get the shift to at the school disco...that one time

Scores:
    Necro: 2nd
    Stu: 12th

11 points to
    Electric Nitwit

Biggest discrepancy yet - 10 whole places :eek:

My number 2 choice is not Stu's.. wonder about others in my top 3...

You're dead to me Stu

Incidentally, I did put a lot more emoji's into my paragraphs on each entry, but they were something which clearly got lost while forwarding my words to Necro. Boards PM is a funny one for formatting.

I also had to seriously adjust my Boards swearing methods - fúck had to become fcuk because the Boards PM function shíts itself when you use certain characters like í and ú.

#TheImportantDetails
    #BehindTheScenes

Just shows that just cos it might hit the right spot with one person it won't with another.

I adore Bed of Roses. Would listen to it on loop for an hour probably :D

Always loved you Necro ;)

Incidentally, I did put a lot more emoji's into my paragraphs on each entry, but they were something which clearly got lost while forwarding my words to Necro. Boards PM is a funny one for formatting.

I also had to seriously adjust my Boards swearing methods - fúck had to become fcuk because the Boards PM function shíts itself when you use certain characters like í and ú.

#TheImportantDetails
    #BehindTheScenes

They came across to my google docs as garbled and then I wasn't sure where they were meant to go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Interesting disparity between write up and score there Stu, to me at least. Reads much better than the score.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I also had to seriously adjust my Boards swearing methods - fúck had to become fcuk because the Boards PM function sh itself when you use certain characters like nd ú.

#TheImportantDetails
    #BehindTheScenes

I told you, Necro!!! You accused me of editing quoted posts! :confused:

fixxxer wrote: »
    Interesting disparity between write up and score there Stu, to me at least. Reads much better than the score.

Yeah but the emoji's are missing. :)

• Advertisement

5th Place - Goldie Lookin Chain - You Knows I Love You

Necro: Loved it the first time I heard this, immediately it went to number 1. I love the comedy element and the chorus cracks me up. On a few relistens it does lose a bit of shine though. And when you put it up against some of the classic ones included in this list does it really stand up against them? Strong category, eventually some of the more classic rock anthems overshadowed it - but this is quality.

Stu Redman: I haven't deep-dived GLC yet in life, but will after this. Never heard this song before and had to give it quite a few listens to get there but it was rewarding. Total grower for me, and the mangled hook 'You knows I Love You Baby' comes back to me hours after listening to the song. This is a great love song "I only got initials cos I couldn't stand the pain","Having 3 kids doesn't bother me","If you were Delboy I'd be the streets of Peckham". Just fcuking brilliant.

Scores:
    Necro: 6th
    Stu: 6th

13 points to
    Banjo

And myself and Stu come bang on with our rating for this.

Funny old game this. First time it's happened.

Advertisement