Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizenship ruling.

Options
  • 17-07-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/citizenship-high-court-residency-continuous-4728401-Jul2019/
    THE HIGH COURT has ruled that nobody can be granted Irish citizenship if they have spent a single day outside the country in the past year.

The unexpected judgment, handed down by Mr Justice Max Barrett, could affect thousands of people applying for Irish citizenship on the basis of residence in the country.

Experts called the ruling “absurd”, pointing out that the law on citizenship has never been interpreted so strictly before.

This is lunacy. A person could lose out because of work travel or a trip to see a dying relative.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

https://www.thejournal.ie/citizenship-high-court-residency-continuous-4728401-Jul2019/

This is lunacy. A person could lose out because of work travel or a trip to see a dying relative.

We need some kind of a logic competency test for these legal types.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

We need some kind of a logic competency test for these legal types.

The irony of your username with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭Allinall

He's only applying the law as it stands.

That particular law needs to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But if I go on holiday abroad for a week, I'm still continuously resident in Ireland for that time, I haven't suddenly become resident in France, Spain or whatever for that week. He harps on about the precise definition of "continuous" but seems oblivious as to what "resident" means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

It will be corrected with emergency legislation I'm sure.

More importantly, what has the govt. and GNIB being doing flouting the law since 1956! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Not a very practical ruling considering the amount of skilled foreign nationals driving the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Alun wrote: »
    But if I go on holiday abroad for a week, I'm still continuously resident in Ireland for that time, I haven't suddenly become resident in France, Spain or whatever for that week. He harps on about the precise definition of "continuous" but seems oblivious as to what "resident" means.

If the law said exclusive Irish resident or something else to that effect then the Judge might agree but it didn't.

Resident & Ordinary resident, are define. continuous resident was not.

By your definition there is no difference between continuous resident and resident.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Alun wrote: »
    If the Act does not permit the temporary leaving of the country and states that applicants must have 12 months of "continuous residence" then the law is at fault and the judge is merely highlighting it.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Not a very practical ruling considering the amount of skilled foreign nationals driving the economy.
    How many of them are not from the EU and are looking for residency status?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Jacovs

How many of them are not from the EU and are looking for residency status?

I am, so is my manager in work. I literally made an appointment yesterday with a solicitor in town for monday to start my application process.
    Visited family back home in December 2018 and already have holidays booked for coming December too. So according to this I will have to not leave the country for all of 2020 and only qualify in january 2021.

Edit, actually I have residency status, its citizenship we are applying for.

• Advertisement

Jacovs wrote: »
    I am, so is my manager in work. I literally made an appointment yesterday with a solicitor in town for monday to start my application process.
    Visited family back home in December 2018 and already have holidays booked for coming December too. So according to this I will have to not leave the country for all of 2020 and only qualify in january 2021.

Edit, actually I have residency status, its citizenship we are applying for.
    So ask everyone you know to contact their TDs to get the law changed to allow for temporary leaving of the country.
    It is not the judge who is at fault but the law. TDs are the ones who change the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

How tayto packet tokens also you need now?

Go on, have another go at writing that post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Go on, have another go at writing that post!

So, how many tayto packet tokens is it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I don’t understand your question at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So, how many tayto packet tokens is it now?

For what?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Sure how would they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

kneemos wrote: »

Good point. Is there now an obligation on the authorities to check flight data etc for those 365 days?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This was discussed earlier on the radio and a solicitor made the point that even one day trip to Belfast would nullify the application. I'm sure it will be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

My husband is a British citizen. He might apply for Irish citizenship due to brexit. We go in holiday at least once a year- so this would essentially mean he wouldn’t be eligible?

• Advertisement

Sinus pain wrote: »
    My husband is a British citizen. He might apply for Irish citizenship due to brexit. We go in holiday at least once a year- so this would essentially mean he wouldn’t be eligible?

As it now stands, Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Jacovs

kneemos wrote: »

My passport gets stamped and swiped each time I return to Ireland. Have to hand over passport when applying for citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,663 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

My husband is a British citizen. He might apply for Irish citizenship due to brexit.

Jesus, he should have done that 2 years ago.

Do it, this week.

The next time ye go to Spain he will be in a long line and you'll be waiting for him in the Car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

You need to prioritise. What is more important, a holiday or citizenship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Looks like you'll have to go for staycations :(

Boggles wrote: »
    Jesus, he should have done that 2 years ago.

Do it, this week.

The next time ye go to Spain he will be in a long line and you'll be waiting for him in the Car park.

Nah - don’t care if he has to queue. It’s over €1000 to get citizenship - and as it stands we don’t know what’s gonna happen. I don’t care if he has to queue he can follow me to the hotel where I’m sunning myself :)

Nah - don’t care if he has to queue. It’s over €1000 to get citizenship - and as it stands we don’t know what’s gonna happen. I don’t care if he has to queue he can follow me to the hotel where I’m sinning myself :)

Freudian slip I'm sure.😇

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Nah - don’t care if he has to queue. It’s over €1000 to get citizenship - and as it stands we don’t know what’s gonna happen. I don’t care if he has to queue he can follow me to the hotel where I’m sunning myself :)

We don't know what's going to happen between the EU and UK. The UK will have to negotiate for itself with the rest of the world in any case especially going forward.

It might be easy to travel now to a certain country as you're both EU citizens, but in the future regardless of any EU deal he might need go through a more restrictive or get a more limited Visa for that country.

If it turns out Iran is a great fun future holiday destination, you get in cuz the EU and Iran are BFF and he doesn't as they keep trying to seize each others ships.

• Advertisement

We will worry about it when we know for sure. Sure we will have to wait at least a year now - and in the mean time if there’s a family emergency we will have to wait longer

Advertisement