Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Citizenship ruling.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yes we're in a different age so it's not exactly the same thing but history has taught us that mass immigration into Ireland previously has been a disaster for the native, ethnic Irish.

It's definitely becoming an issue for many people and it shouldn't be dismissed so readily.
    When have we had mass immigration into Ireland?
    In what way was it a "disaster for the native, ethnic Irish"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

When have we had mass immigration into Ireland?
    In what way was it a "disaster for the native, ethnic Irish"?

He's comparing the plantations to people coming here to work. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Lux23 wrote: »
    He's comparing the plantations to people coming here to work. :rolleyes:

Yes the plantations and subsequent migrations did not work out too well for the native Irish, and those immigrant also came here to work.

Now, as I said, modern immigration into Ireland is a lot more benign but even so will this period of mass immigration into Ireland be beneficial to the native Irish in the long run? That's the concern.

Like I said in a previous post, the Government should take this opportunity to overhaul immigration rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Only immigrants would be able to survive in this apocalypse of high rents and soaring property prices...know many friends who have not returned to Ireland since downturn due to those reasons. Immigration to Ireland is lucrative due to the relaxed citizenship rules compared to other European English speaking countries....If those are tightened I am not sure what would be the repercussions of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,286 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Only immigrants would be able to survive in this apocalypse of high rents and soaring property prices...know many friends who have not returned to Ireland since downturn due to those reasons. Immigration to Ireland is lucrative due to the relaxed citizenship rules compared to other European English speaking countries....If those are tightened I am not sure what would be the repercussions of that.

what exactly is lucrative about our citizenship rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭trashcan

CheweeB wrote: »
    On reading the legislation (I'm no expert)- but there is the following, I'm taking this to mean that in certain circumstances the Minister may apply discretion:

"16.—The Minister may, if he thinks fit, grant an application for a certificate of naturalisation in the following cases, although the conditions for naturalisation (or any of them) are not complied with:

(a) where the applicant is of Irish descent or Irish associations;

(b) where the applicant is a parent or guardian acting on behalf of a minor of Irish descent or Irish associations;

(c) where the applicant is a naturalised Irish citizen acting on behalf of his minor child;

(d) where the applicant is a woman who is married to a naturalised Irish citizen;

(e) where the applicant is married to a woman who is an Irish citizen (otherwise than by naturalisation);

(f) where the applicant is or has been resident abroad in the public service."

Yeah, but none of those give the Minister the discretion to ignore the continuous residence criteria. The problem, as has been pointed out, is with the Judges interpretation.

Also, can people get their heads around the distinction between residency and citizenship. You can be legally resident here forever and a day without ever becoming a citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How tayto packet tokens also you need now?

No I'm sorry this is the greatest post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

No I'm sorry this is the greatest post in this thread.

I asked the poster to explain the post but got no reply.
    I genuinely don’t get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FekinForeigner

First let me start with:
    I have utter respect to the Irish people, if i love this country for a reason it'll be either its people, nature or its culture. I feel so well integrated at the social level and i made lots of friends.
    I have happily considered Ireland my 'Home' regardless of all of its hillbilly political and governmental state.

However 4 years later, couple of months before i apply for my citizenship, i got stabbed in the back, slammed with the most ridiculous ruling i've ever heard.
    my job requires constant travels to the UK and around the EU.
    So what am i supposed to do now ? keep going through the ****ty processes applying for freaking VISAs annually ?

This is utter nonsense and disgraceful.

If you allow,
    Let me release all the anger i've accumulated over the years against this government,

No proper feel of safety, murders and stabbings daily
    Drug Gangs rule the streets and the government is dormant
    ****ty housing, low standards of paper houses that smell like damp and cost crap tons
    crappy public transport (put Irish Rail aside i like them)
    crappy healthcare
    crappy mortgages, now they're also scrapping the help to buy scheme(hopefully they change their minds prior elections)
    Beggars, homeless people, drug addicts and junkies everywhere
    no proper vision
    no planning, can someone enlighten me ? what the hell is the government's plan in case of a no deal Brexit ? only a moron thinks he can strong arm the UK and win the brawl or even get away with it.
    Good luck negotiating with Boris Johnson now.

and now THIS, yet the government doesn't lift a finger and deal with the subject with the highest of their priorities.

Honestly, why the hell are you guys (Irish or not) paying taxes here ? don't you feel you're getting robbed ?
    those people got no proper sense of priorities, all they care about is using my taxes to buy votes with their social welfare and that the annual pride parade goes right and to hell with all tax payers and their emergencies.

and now they're also denying me the right to participate in the General elections and vote against them.

Maybe it's time to abandon ship

/End Rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

First let me start with:
    I have utter respect to the Irish people, if i love this country for a reason it'll be either its people, nature or its culture. I feel so well integrated at the social level and i made lots of friends.
    I have happily considered Ireland my 'Home' regardless of all of its hillbilly political and governmental state.

However 4 years later, couple of months before i apply for my citizenship, i got stabbed in the back, slammed with the most ridiculous ruling i've ever heard.
    So what am i supposed to do now ? keep going through the ****ty processes applying for freaking VISAs annually ?

If you allow,
    Let me release all the anger i've accumulated over the years against this government,

****ty housing, low standards of paper houses that smell like damp and cost crap tons
    crappy healthcare
    crappy mortgages, now they're also scrapping the help to buy scheme(hopefully they change their minds prior elections)
    no proper vision
    no planning, can someone enlighten me ? what the hell is the government's plan in case of a no deal Brexit ? only a moron thinks he can strong arm the UK and win the brawl or even get away with it.

and now THIS, yet the government doesn't lift a finger and deal with the subject with the highest of their priorities.

Honestly, why the hell are you guys (Irish or not) paying taxes here ? don't you feel you're getting robbed ?
    those people got no proper sense of priorities, all they care about is using my taxes to buy votes with their social welfare and that the annual pride parade goes right and to hell with all tax payers and their emergencies.

and now they're also denying me the right to participate in the General elections and vote against them.

/End Rant

You know where the door is.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

First let me start with:

If you allow,

crappy healthcare
    no proper vision

/End Rant

Print this and include it in your citizen application.

Judge will love it, honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 FekinForeigner

Way past it 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 39,753 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Way past it 👍

Where you from originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Oh no you dient… :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Wow? That escalated fast. Do you support the forcible repatriation of Irish people who’ve moved abroad too? So many of our people have emigrated and been granted citizenship elsewhere, do you really think Ireland couldn’t benefit from some inward migration?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Wow? That escalated fast. Do you support the forcible repatriation of Irish people who’ve moved abroad too? So many of our people have emigrated and been granted citizenship elsewhere, do you really think Ireland couldn’t benefit from some inward migration?

No. No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

First let me start with:

If you allow,

crappy healthcare
    no proper vision

/End Rant

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to stay here. There won’t be crowds of ministers or lay people at the airport asking you to reconsider. Our country, our laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If you don’t like it, you don’t have to stay here. There won’t be crowds of ministers or lay people at the airport asking you to reconsider. Our country, our laws.

Omg! That’s so racist. Lol. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I actually prefer a system where you have to technically be present for the preceding year but with a clause that if hard evidence is provided for leaving (multiple business trips would all fall under one piece of evidence, family issues, etc.) then an exception is made. It'll be an administrational pain in the ass but it will add a hardline stance to a process that, up until now, has been used and abused beyond measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Cordell

If you allow,
    There, there, let it all out, better here than at a crowded place.
    crappy healthcare
    no proper vision

Shouldn't everything above take a higher priority over our inconvenience?
    /End Rant
    Thank you for your entitl...insightful rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Looks like this has stalled all the citizenship applications....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

mad muffin wrote: »
    Omg! That’s so racist. Lol. :pac:

Racist? Who has mentioned his race?? It’s an anonymous online forum. He could be a white Brit, white South African, Chinese, Australian, African, Eskimo. If he has such a low opinion of Ireland s/he’s welcome to leave.

Racist? Who has mentioned his race?? It’s an anonymous online forum. He could be a white Brit, white South African, Chinese, Australian, African, Eskimo. If he has such a low opinion of Ireland s/he’s welcome to leave.

I think Mad Muffin was being sarcastic.

Advertisement