Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

For sure.

I worked in Germany and really liked heading out at 7am and home mid afternoon.

But are you going to get a whole nation/culture to change their lifestyle for the sake of not moving the dial on a clock twice a year ?

I'd personally do both. Move the nation to wake up early and also abolish the DST. I worked 7-3 before, it's like having an extra day when you finish your job. I liked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    I've been to places in Australia and Canada where neighbouring states have different time zones and it causes no problems. Why would having the North in a different time zone cause any major issue for the vast majority of people in Ireland?

FWIW I'm all in favour of having an hour brighter in the evenings in winter. Dark mornings wouldn't bother me. Everyone I have talked to about the issue has the same opinion.

Well apparently 82% of the country seems to think it is which beggars belief:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ireland-to-oppose-eu-plans-to-scrap-daylight-saving-time-38320350.html

The EU is seeking to abolish the twice-yearly clock change, but there are fears in Ireland that this could result in two time zones on the island after Brexit.

It is understood this is the main reason Mr Flanagan is expected to cite when seeking approval from his ministerial colleagues to oppose the EU's proposals.

The consultation found that while the public would generally favour lighter evenings in winter, 82pc of those surveyed opposed any measure that resulted in different time zones on the island of Ireland.

Democracy in action, like Brexit! , cannot help but feel these polls were not impartial and biased towards don't abolish.
    Certainly thats how its being interpreted by Flanagan - despite the majority being in favour of abolishing DST, the fact that 82% "oppose" border time differences is more important..how do you decide which carries more weight?
    One could argue that all over the world borders and even countries have different timezones and somehow life goes on so surely this viewpoint is irrational and should be less important than the majority view of abolish?

Bollix to Brexit!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

For the hundred and fifth time.

That hour of daylight in the evening in winter is not as valuable as the hour of daylight in the morning in winter.

The hour of daylight is useless in the morning, good for nothing I have no idea how you and a small minority of people think it’s useful compared to having it in the evening when it’s actually useable. You can see most people disagree with you so it should indicate to you that the majority think having extra light in the evening is much more valuable.

I really hope the EU follow though on this and force is to stop changing the clocks. Who gives a damn if we have a different time to NI for a few months.

Also focusing on the absolute height of winter for the argument is silly imo. Yes it will still get dark early in the evening but once we get into January even we will start to see it stretch and by feb we will have light much later in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Anyone I ever discussed this with would rather stay in summer time. There's a poll on the journal now at 82% in favour of staying in the time we're in now, and other polls I've seen are similar.
    Why is this muppet trying to oppose it? Do this Government ever listen to the people? No one wants minimum unit pricing for alcohol either, but we're all getting it. Argh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Supercell wrote: »
    Well apparently 82% of the country seems to think it is which beggars belief:

Democracy in action, like Brexit! , cannot help but feel these polls were not impartial and biased towards don't abolish.
    Certainly thats how its being interpreted by Flanagan - despite the majority being in favour of abolishing DST, the fact that 82% "oppose" border time differences is more important..how do you decide which carries more weight?
    One could argue that all over the world borders and even countries have different timezones and somehow life goes on so surely this viewpoint is irrational and should be less important than the majority view of abolish?

Bollix to Brexit!

Right but not everyone who likes things as they are or who favours year-round GMT gives a crap about Brexit. I just happen to think personally that the novelty of marginally brighter winter evenings would quickly wear off and then we’d be stuck with deadening, dark mornings for months.

The current system is best and anyone moaning about clock changes - man, I wish I had so few worries.

• Advertisement

The current system is best and anyone moaning about clock changes - man, I wish I had so few worries.

The majority of people disagree with you. It's a pretty big deal to me that it gets dark at 430 in winter, I absolutely hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,059 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The hour of daylight is useless in the morning, good for nothing I have no idea how you and a small minority of people think it’s useful compared to having it in the evening when it’s actually useable. You can see most people disagree with you so it should indicate to you that the majority think having extra light in the evening is much more valuable.

I really hope the EU follow though on this and force is to stop changing the clocks. Who gives a damn if we have a different time to NI for a few months.

Also focusing on the absolute height of winter for the argument is silly imo. Yes it will still get dark early in the evening but once we get into January even we will start to see it stretch and by feb we will have light much later in the evenings.

Think about all that goes on in the morning from about 8am to 9.30am

Commutes.
    Kids to school (both in cars and on foot)
    Deliveries to businesses.
    Outdoor work.

Doing all of the above is much easier, and safer, as it is getting bright, rather than when it is still very dark.

In all year summer time it will not be bright until well after 9am, closer to 9.45 in the west.
    And even more so in bad weather

Is it really better that it be still dark when all of the above is going on ?
    All for the sake of a potential extra hour in the evening in equally bad weather ?

As I said go ahead with it, but my God people will get sick of the dark mornings before long.

The majority of people disagree with you. It's a pretty big deal to me that it gets dark at 430 in winter, I absolutely hate it.

Oh, I know. I know they do. Humans are mostly optimists and are imagining the possibilities of this marginal extra evening light when in reality, most people will probably do the square root of fück all with it. Anyone who exercises outdoors regularly would be bemused at the idea of daylight being needed. When I cycled to work, winter was my favourite time of year to do so.

Personally I hate the dark mornings. Even now. I don’t know if people really get how depressing it would be to have six weeks of post-9am darkness and a good few more weeks were it’s dark for most of the hour between 8am and 9am.

And, to be blunt, I don’t really care if the majority disagrees with me. The system we have now takes into account pretty much ever, even the dastardly minority.

Personally I hate the dark mornings. Even now. I don’t know if people really get how depressing it would be to have six weeks of post-9am darkness and a good few more weeks were it’s dark for most of the hour between 8am and 9am.

I actually like them, I like cycling to work when it's still dark for some reason. Coming home is a 'mare though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Changing to winter saving means that Christmas is on the way.

• Advertisement

The majority of people disagree with you.

Who appointed you as my spokesperson? I abhor the dark mornings in December/January, the notion of waking up in pitch darkness at 8am is absurd. Others prefer the extra hour of daylight in the evening, and that's understandable. After all, one would have to agree to disagree...

Who appointed you as my spokesperson? I abhor the dark mornings in December/January, the notion of waking up in pitch darkness at 8am is absurd. Others prefer the extra hour of daylight in the evening, and that's understandable. After all, one would have to agree to disagree...

Every poll I've seen has been 80%+ in favour of sticking to summer time

prunudo wrote: »
    Its a very divisive subject, I don't believe that the extra hour in the evening will be as beneficial as some make it out to be.

I suspect that after 2 winters of dark mornings there will be a review of the situation.
    Like it was the last time they tried it in the 1960s

"Each to their own", from the holy scripture. I'm not flexing one iota.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Like it was the last time they tried it in the 1960s

Ireland had not joined the EU back then. Entirely different situation now.

"Each to their own", from the holy scripture. I'm not flexing one iota.

Well each to their own would work if we could all just subscribe to the hours we most agreed with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Are there any countries of similar latitude which have successfully adopted an equivalent permanent summertime?

Being a member of the EU will not make it any brighter in the morning.

It was tried in the 60s and canned because the British canned it.
    They were sick of the dark mornings.

Timezone selection is optional for all members, the EU isn't enforcing any change.

Geographic location does of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Being a member of the EU will not make it any brighter in the morning.

It was tried in the 60s and canned because the British canned it.
    They were sick of the dark mornings.

It was tried 60 years ago when our culture and lifestyles were radically different. Saying it wont work because it was tried in the 60's is ignoring the radical change in everday life since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I'm no good at working this all out but all these times and when it will get dark and light and everything, but even after Brexit there will be no getting away that Britain and Northern Ireland will still be our closest neighbours and presumably the UK will still like to trade with Ireland and vice versa, so if we are to be on a different timezone to the UK and norn Ireland how will that fair with trade and things like customer services departments and other things if we have a different time to the UK if they don't adopt it, it will be misaligned . Although on the other hand I suppose Britain and France and other European countries are either an hour ahead or behind and still work it out I suppose.

I actually like them, I like cycling to work when it's still dark for some reason. Coming home is a 'mare though.

I don’t know why but I struggle so badly with the dark mornings. I have memories of looking out the window eating my breakfast before school and just being so depressed at the pitch blackness. Whereas in the evenings, I’m winding down so it doesn’t bother me.

There’s a Reykjavík webcam I look at periodically throughout the year. They stay on year-round GMT because I guess their midwinter days are just so short that it doesn’t matter. But it is so depressing to see it still dark at 10am and later in the winter. Icelanders have no choice but to endure that but we do have a choice!

The system we have now or the proposed year-round summertime?

Another thing to note is that this proposal is to end a clock change and not to have just summertime in the EU. Aren't there states who are in favour of staying on wintertime? Having various states ending up staying on both winter & summertime would be worse than the current arrangements. I can honestly see this whole proposal being binned (yet again). Maybe the best compromise would be to lengthen summertime. Put the clocks forward at the start of March as they do in alot of North America.

Another thing to note is that this proposal is to end a clock change and not to have just summertime in the EU. Aren't there states who are in favour of staying on wintertime? Having various states ending up staying on both winter & summertime would be worse than the current arrangements. I can honestly see this whole proposal being binned (yet again). Maybe the best compromise would be to lengthen summertime. Put the clocks forward at the start of March as they do in alot of North America.

That could work. It doesn’t necessarily have to be bisected equally between UTC and Summertime.

They are moving towards abolishing it in NA soon as well.

Also why will multiple countries being on different timezones be such a big deal? It will be something we all get used to pretty quickly.

IMO most of the objections to this can be traced back to a very simple problem of many people not liking change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I don’t know why but I struggle so badly with the dark mornings. I have memories of looking out the window eating my breakfast before school and just being so depressed at the pitch blackness. Whereas in the evenings, I’m winding down so it doesn’t bother me.

There’s a Reykjavík webcam I look at periodically throughout the year. They stay on year-round GMT because I guess their midwinter days are just so short that it doesn’t matter. But it is so depressing to see it still dark at 10am and later in the winter. Icelanders have no choice but to endure that but we do have a choice!

The system we have now or the proposed year-round summertime?

indeed - our bodies react to daylight or lack of it . In the normal course of things darkness outside tells our bodies to go into sleep mode .. and brightness outside tells our bodies its daytime and to wake up ... this is why a lot of people on night-shift jobs suffer so bad sometimes, it throws their body clocks out.

indeed - our bodies react to daylight or lack of it . In the normal course of things darkness outside tells our bodies to go into sleep mode .. and brightness outside tells our bodies its daytime and to wake up ... this is why a lot of people on night-shift jobs suffer so bad sometimes, it throws their body clocks out.

If we move to summer time we still get the same amount of daylight hours in winter it just is an hour later.

Whereas if we moved to winter time we would actually have 1 less hour of usable daylight in summer as sunrise would happen at 3:50am instead of 4:50 am and sunset would happen at 20:50 instead of 21:50

VinLieger wrote: »
    If we move to summer time we still get the same amount of daylight hours in winter it just is an hour later.

Whereas if we moved to winter time we would actually have 1 less hour of usable daylight in summer as sunrise would happen at 3:50am instead of 4:50 am and sunset would happen at 20:50 instead of 21:50

And that's why the status quo, i.e. changing clocks twice a year suits us in Ireland best.

And that's why the status quo, i.e. changing clocks twice a year suits us in Ireland best.

Except it doesn’t suit most people don’t want to be changing clocks twice a year for various different reasons.

I’ve been calling for this to happen since I was a child, I think changing clocks is ridiculous and ruins the evenings for a good few months of the year.

• Advertisement

Zero evidence to support that claim bar it being your opinion. Neither option is objectively worse or better for the majority, for some it is slightly more convenient/inconvenient is all, therefore we should move to stop changing clocks if the rest of Europe is doing it.

Advertisement