Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Don't fix what ain't broken. Sean Kelly useless mep

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Cape Clear wrote: »

The point is that the current system is broken and certainly needs fixing. Not sure how you make out that Sean Kelly is useless. He seems to be reflecting what most people want along with the vast majority of his fellow MEPs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Its essential to keep the hour of brightness in the evenings in early May, late August /Sept etc. F ... off eu, next thing is you will want to harmonise tax rates and take away our multinationals here. No wonder the UK wanted to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

surely its more awqward for trade having the times changing. you last friday and its 3pm , ring monday and its 2 or 4 pm. leave it one way would make trade easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Northern Ireland could choose to harmonise with us, even if the rest of the UK went it alone. The population is in favour of staying in the EU.

This would be no different than mainland Spain and the Canary Islands which have chosen to be in different time zones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,358 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Well good night everyone. It'll be great craic for the next week trying to re acclimatise my kids to the clock change. Cant wait for the bedtime battles and morning struggle to get them up for school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think it's interesting that Russia tried permanent summer time but abandoned it for permanent winter after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭prunudo

Option A or Option B.

Once you describe one as Winter time and one as Summer time the chance of a completely fair vote is gone.

Agree with what your saying, people will choose summertime wihout thinking about it. But subconsciously it will bring the thoughts of warmer weather, long evenings holidays etc. Winter time sounds cold, wet, dull and dark. Sure why would you want to be stuck on winter time all year round.

jvan wrote: »
    Agree with what your saying, people will choose summertime wihout thinking about it. But subconsciously it will bring the thoughts of warmer weather, long evenings holidays etc. Winter time sounds cold, wet, dull and dark. Sure why would you want to be stuck on winter time all year round.

That is the way I vote in elections and referendums. If someone has a nice name, I subconsciously vote for them without thinking about it. And I always vote for Yes in referendums because it sounds nicer than No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

Had to change the clock on the oven. All others changed automatically. Got the kids up at 7.30 new time, rather than 7 old time.

Really not that challenging so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

This thread has nearly 1000 posts and has had at least three other threads merged with it. People have given this a lot of thought and most chose summertime, mainly for the valid reasons you outline above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Option A or Option B.

Once you describe one as Winter time and one as Summer time the chance of a completely fair vote is gone.
    No one is asked - "do you want darker mornings" ........ of course most are tempted by 'an extra hour' of daylight.
    I heard a guy on Liveline recently mention something about having a BBQ which just shows how some people have been hoodwinked.

Our Atlantic dominated climate is cloudy almost all the time in mid winter and I bet few noticed that on most days during the winter just past it appeared to be getting dark at 2-3pm. An 'extra hour' of gloom will be barely noticeable but believe me we will notice the pitch black mornings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Cape Clear wrote: »

Is there more information somewhere about what this guy is supposed to have said?

mollser wrote: »
    Had to change the clock on the oven. All others changed automatically. Got the kids up at 7.30 new time, rather than 7 old time.

Really not that challenging so far!

And yet we are sacrificing either late summer evenings or (relatively) bright winter mornings for people who can’t handle this.

As for oven clocks. Who needs em. Mine is always wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭highdef

As for oven clocks. Who needs em. Mine is always wrong.

Oh, I need all the oven clocks perfectly synced up or it does my head in!

476695.jpg

Apologies, ovens are not really sideways in real life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

EU proposed it, therefore I'm agin' it.

EU proposed it, therefore I'm agin' it.

Germany invented the current system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭prunudo

That is the way I vote in elections and referendums. If someone has a nice name, I subconsciously vote for them without thinking about it. And I always vote for Yes in referendums because it sounds nicer than No.

The government will always word the question in a referendum to suit the way it wants to change the law. So the majority of the time you're asked to vote yes as subconsciously it sounds like a better option and improves the 'bad' or draconian law that is being replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭1641

The government will always word the question in a referendum to suit the way it wants to change the law. So the majority of the time you're asked to vote yes as subconsciously it sounds like a better option and improves the 'bad' or draconian law that is being replaced.

Or because in a referendum we are always asked about a proposed change to the Constitution ?

"Yes" means we want it/agree to it and "No" means we don't want it/disagree - Too simple?

How could it be the other way around, eg, "Yes" means we don't want it/disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Paddy Cow wrote: »

As for Leo wanting to stay on the same time as the UK, that's not going to happen because if the UK do end up leaving the EU, they will probably stay on the system they have now, so no matter what time we chose, we'll still be out of sync with them for half the year if they have DST and we don't. If we can manage half the year, then we can manage a full year. It's not our problem if the UK want to do their own thing. Let them off.

Well Leo could choose to just leave it as is. Hopefully not but he's a bit of a numpty so who knows.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Well Leo could choose to just leave it as is. Hopefully not but he's a bit of a numpty so who knows.
    I thought he can't though. The EU overlords have decided that all countries will get rid of DST and have to chose between summer or winter. Is opting out an option? I'd rather stay with the system we have now, then have wintertime all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I thought he can't though. The EU overlords have decided that all countries will get rid of DST and have to chose between summer or winter. Is opting out an option? I'd rather stay with the system we have now, then have wintertime all year.

No its only a recommendation from the EU it's upto each country if they want to implement it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No its only a recommendation from the EU it's upto each country if they want to implement it.

If it becomes law, it will be mandatory.

Under the current law, which has been in place for member states for two decades, clocks are moved ahead one hour on the last Sunday in March to create daylight saving time, and then moved back to standard time on the last Sunday in October. The European Parliament voted 410 to 192 on Tuesday to back a draft law to abolish the twice-a-year switch.

Under the draft law, each of the 28 countries in the bloc (although Britain may have left by then) will have to choose before 2021 whether it will follow daylight saving time throughout the year or maintain standard time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

The government is trying to encourage people to play sport, be active etc. If it got dark each evening this comin week (or in October) at 7 pm this evening instead of 8 pm, how would that encourage that? It would discourage outdoor activities after work / not make them feasible in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Working today, missing an hour of sleep... I WANT MY HOUR BACK!! :(

Nice and bright at 7:30 pm. Great. 6 months of this ahead.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Working today, missing an hour of sleep... I WANT MY HOUR BACK!! :(

October.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

janfebmar wrote: »
    The government is trying to encourage people to play sport, be active etc. If it got dark each evening this comin week (or in October) at 7 pm this evening instead of 8 pm, how would that encourage that? It would discourage outdoor activities after work / not make them feasible in many cases.

They are also encouraging us to cycle and walk to work/school etc, in pitch dark for 3 months if we go to permanent summertime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭highdef

Nice and bright at 7:30 pm. Great. 6 months of this ahead.

7 months before the clocks go back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

judeboy101 wrote:
    They are also encouraging us to cycle and walk to work/school etc, in pitch dark for 3 months if we go to permanent summertime.

Inflammatory nonsense. It works both ways. Most rather have that hour of light in the afternoon rather than the morning (well for many its dark either way)

Advertisement