Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are we sure this will be law?

There were politicians on the radio saying this is only a directive and we don't have to implement it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Are we sure this will be law?

There were politicians on the radio saying this is only a directive and we don't have to implement it.

The current arrangement is due to a Directive. And Directives have legal force.

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32000L0084

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directive_(European_Union)

Government doesn't want this now it seems because of the time difference it would cause with NI if the UK Brexits and doesn't follow the EU's lead on this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-set-to-reject-eu-proposal-to-end-daylight-savings-time-1.3958592?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Bright idea

• Registered Users Posts: 18,151 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Government doesn't want this now it seems because of the time difference it would cause with NI if the UK Brexits and doesn't follow the EU's lead on this.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-set-to-reject-eu-proposal-to-end-daylight-savings-time-1.3958592?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Though the article makes clear Ireland may not be able to stop this becoming EU law. We haven't heard the last of this....if it's EU law and the continent changes its official time zones, this will throw up all sorts of problems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

About time they came to their senses.

The EU really needs to cop on in general regarding brexit and realise that some allowances have to be made for the one country that shares a land border with the UK, the EU along with the UK political establishment have really show how little they think of Ireland over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

So it will not get bright till close on 10am in the west in the dead of winter.

Stupid idea.
    We just stick with the added hr of daylight all year round.

No issues with it.

I think it's a great idea. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

About time they came to their senses.

The EU really needs to cop on in general regarding brexit and realise that some allowances have to be made for the one country that shares a land border with the UK, the EU along with the UK political establishment have really show how little they think of Ireland over the past few years.

Stop talking nonsense.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,265 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ah FFS.

Ireland are the dominant partner in the NI Ireland relationship, and the EU are the bigger entity in the UK EU relationship. Ireland needs to stand with Europe and stop letting the UK dictate our policies. Especially in the current political climate .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

What about all our atomic clocks?

Many Irish households and businesses have so called Atomic clocks which get their time signal from Cumbria in England, so if we change our time zone what happens to these clocks?

I know one business in Dublin which spent thousands on having one installed on the front of their building, it looks like a regular clock but the mechanism is made & tuned to the UK signal, then I look around our house an and I notice we have at least two of these analogue clocks (which adjust the hands themselves twice yearly).

• Advertisement

What about all our atomic clocks?

Many Irish households and businesses have so called Atomic clocks which get their time signal from Cumbria in England, so if we change our time zone what happens to these clocks?

I know one business in Dublin which spent thousands on having one installed on the front of their building, it looks like a regular clock but the mechanism is made & tuned to the UK signal, then I look around our house an and I notice we have at least two of these clocks ...
    Not a problem, they all have settings that will allow an offset of x number of hours.

Anyway, I still think we should stay with summer and winter time, but hag a much shorter "wintertime" period.

For example late November to mid February for winter time and summer time for the rest of the year. This avoids sunrise after 09:00 for nearly three months of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

We just stick with the added hr of daylight all year round.

No issues with it.

I think it's a great idea. :P

For the hundred and fifth time.

That hour of daylight in the evening in winter is not as valuable as the hour of daylight in the morning in winter.

Not a problem, they all have settings that will allow an offset of x number of hours.

Anyway, I still think we should stay with summer and winter time, but hag a much shorter "wintertime" period.

For example late November to mid February for winter time and summer time for the rest of the year. This avoids sunrise after 09:00 for nearly three months of the year.

Yes that would be ideal, but unfortunately it is not a option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

No not that I'm aware of, maybe you're talking about the digital version whereby you can press a button to offset the hour!
    Analogue clocks (with hands) can't be adjusted in this way as the mechanism is sealed & set to the time signal from Cumbria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That hour of daylight in the evening in winter is not as valuable as the hour of daylight in the morning in winter.

For you perhaps. Many, me included, would get greater value from the hour in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭highdef

In your opinion, perhaps it is however people have differing opinions.

I, for example, find that hour of daylight in the evening to be far more valuable than the hour of daylight in the morning. I couldn't care less if it's dark at the start of my work day. I do however care if it's bright when I finish my work day, exit work time and enter personal time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Why 82% of Irish people seem to think bordering a country in a different timezone is such a game changer is beyond me. Really, is one hour time difference such a massive big deal?, SMH.
    Doesnt matter now I suppose as Boris will never go for the (Euro) time change so debating it now is pointless.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭prunudo

Its a very divisive subject, I don't believe that the extra hour in the evening will be as beneficial as some make it out to be.
    One point to note though, I think a lot of people will choose all year summertime as it sounds like the happy, fluffy option where everything is full of roses and we all can exercise and have a fun filled life after work during the winter months.
    I suspect that after 2 winters of dark mornings there will be a review of the situation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

And saying it a 106th time won't make many of us agree because we've got different uses of our times and would prefer more time in our evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Typical bloody gombeen politicians. Most people in all polls done at the time voted to abolish the time shift and stay in summer time. So of course the gubberment head the other way.

I'm convinced they don't share a single brain cell between the entire dail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Supercell wrote: »
    Why 82% of Irish people seem to think bordering a country in a different timezone is such a game changer is beyond me. Really, is one hour time difference such a massive big deal?, SMH.
    Doesnt matter now I suppose as Boris will never go for the (Euro) time change so debating it now is pointless.

I've been to places in Australia and Canada where neighbouring states have different time zones and it causes no problems. Why would having the North in a different time zone cause any major issue for the vast majority of people in Ireland?

FWIW I'm all in favour of having an hour brighter in the evenings in winter. Dark mornings wouldn't bother me. Everyone I have talked to about the issue has the same opinion.

But it's not about the use of your time in the winter evenings it's about the astrology and meteorology of winter evenings.

The weather tends to be poor in winter and I thus the availability of usable light is limited.

With DST it gets dusk in the west of Ireland around 4.45 in deepest winter , but it's before then that you see house, street and traffic lights on etc,
    The night is creeping in, beyond 4.30pm there is not much usable daylight.

So in a all year summer time that usable daylight won't get you far beyond 5.30pm

The notion that people can get a full extra hour usable daylight on a winter's evening if flawed.

But go on, go for it, but don't say I didn't warn you.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

In my view we should not bend before the UK. The UK would could change too and likely would after a year or two.

So in a all year summer time that usable daylight won't get you far beyond 5.30pm

If we want more evening sun, we should move to earlier working hours, from 9-5 to 7-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Delirah. The current system is the best compromise. I would not be able to cope with the darker mornings in winter. January was already tough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭prunudo

Delirah. The current system is the best compromise.

I think thats something thats very lacking in this discussion.

Supercell wrote: »

Yeah, no really an issue in an era of smartphones which change time automatically. Most people wouldn't even notice.

prunudo wrote: »
    Its a very divisive subject, I don't believe that the extra hour in the evening will be as beneficial as some make it out to be.
    One point to note though, I think a lot of people will choose all year summertime as it sounds like the happy, fluffy option where everything is full of roses and we all can exercise and have a fun filled life after work during the winter months.
    I suspect that after 2 winters of dark mornings there will be a review of the situation.

Absolutely.
    prunudo wrote: »
    I think thats something thats very lacking is this discussion.

Yup.

If we had to choose, I’d go with GMT year round but the system we have now is the one that takes into consideration everyone.

voluntary wrote: »
    If we want more evening sun, we should move to earlier working hours, from 9-5 to 7-3

For sure.

I worked in Germany and really liked heading out at 7am and home mid afternoon.

But are you going to get a whole nation/culture to change their lifestyle for the sake of not moving the dial on a clock twice a year ?

• Advertisement

For sure.

I worked in Germany and really liked heading out at 7am and home mid afternoon.

But are you going to get a whole nation/culture to change their lifestyle for the sake of not moving the dial on a clock twice a year ?

Yes, why is this such an imposition to some? Especially as phones and computers automatically update.

Advertisement