Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - analogue TV service reduction and switch off

Options
  • 23-03-2018 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

All virgin customers in mullingar were notified by post this morning the analog serrvice will be turned off on 23 april 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Interesting. Is this just a local decision? What happens if you are analog-only?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

JTMan wrote: »
    Interesting. Is this just a local decision? What happens if you are analog-only?

They will give the analog customers decoders I’d say.It Will really effect people who have the signal split and running into bedrooms.I would say other towns will follow soon they said they need the bandwidth for broadband,Siro is up and running in mullingar,maybe that’s the reason

Perhaps this is a regional testbed to see how it goes before any national analogue switch off is decided on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

All Analogue will be switched off - Dublin probably last but it's all getting switched off.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    All Analogue will be switched off - Dublin probably last but it's all getting switched off.

Who confirmed this? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a logical extension to make - the bandwidth is going to be needed to compete with SIRO. Easy to offer the rather poor service they do when its 360 vs 80-ish on VDSL but 360 vs 1000 isn't that easy.

Just going to have to accelerate satellite wiring here as I use the analogue extensively - my terraced house has Virgin cables under both eaves and I've (paid for, well, ages ago for one of them) feeds off both and have used it as an easier wiring option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

JTMan wrote: »
    Who confirmed this? Thanks.

"There is a phased roll-out of the switch-off, with all areas being switched off by the end of 2019. 6 weeks’ notice will be given to each area before the switch-off happens."

-Virgin Media -evidence below.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/business/switchover/

https://www.virginmedia.ie/switchoff

Delta2113 wrote: »
    "There is a phased roll-out of the switch-off, with all areas being switched off by the end of 2019. 6 weeks’ notice will be given to each area before the switch-off happens."

-Virgin Media -evidence below.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/business/switchover/

https://www.virginmedia.ie/switchoff

Thanks. Wow. This is big news given the amount of people with old analogue connections. Surprised the media have not covered this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We all knew this would happen it was only a matter of time.

The question is how many customers will they loose when when people realise they'll have to pay for the basic channels on the second TV.

€20 up front and €11 a month is €152 year one. You can get a combo box or second hand Freesat box for less.

Saorview TV + Freesat

https://www.freesat.co.uk/whats/full-channel-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,336 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

€20 up front and €11 a month is €152 year one. You can get a combo box or second hand Freesat box for less.

Plus the cost of erecting an aerial and a dish. Saorview and Freesat option may not be so clear cut, especially if you live in an apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

I was very loyal to virgin broadband "I do not subscribe to the tv service"as I had 3 tvs upstairs running on analog,but it wont bother me now who provides my internet ,Id say loads of people kept with virgin due to the anolog service

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

While I have used the Analog cable until I stopped using it 10 years ago. It had a very good run when my late granny used to it years ago in her house. It is still a very limited service in not providing HD picture & sound for the minority of people who still use it today. The people who use the STB for VM would probably be a little annoyed that if their boxes break down in their house from 2020 onwards; they would not be in any position to use the analog channels as a backup service up until they're given a replacement VM box. But times change after this analog service has been used in Ireland long well since the 1960's. This switchoff was inevitable after such a long stint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

bulbs2010 wrote: »
    I was very loyal to virgin broadband "I do not subscribe to the tv service"as I had 3 tvs upstairs running on analog,but it wont bother me now who provides my internet ,Id say loads of people kept with virgin due to the anolog service

+1. Letter received in the post on Fri stating the analog service in Dublin 15 will be cut from 07-May-2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

+1. Letter received in the post on Fri stating the analog service in Dublin 15 will be cut from 07-May-2018.

Does the letter say you will receive a Digital box for free? Or are they any charges mentioned?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

coylemj wrote: »
    Plus the cost of erecting an aerial and a dish. Saorview and Freesat option may not be so clear cut, especially if you live in an apartment.
    True, it won't suit everyone.

But if you don't then a Freesat box gives you lots of free channels, including some that aren't on Virgin, with 7 day EPG and series link.

Look around, if your neighbours have satellite dishes you can get these channels for free https://freesat.co.uk/whats/full-channel-list/ in addition to what's on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrwish

When the analogue cable got turned off in Germany along with other European countries, they made the digital versions of the old basic analogue channels FTA, so that anyone with a recent TV (with a digital cable tuner built in, or even with a €30 set top box available in electrical stores) could carry on watching TV via the cable feed.

Obviously it’ll never happen, but surely it would be sensible for Virgin to do the same in Ireland, instead of just cutting off a feature that still gets a bit of use on second TVs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

bulbs2010 wrote: »

I'd say you'd be amazed at how many broadband customers do not know about the free analogue channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I'd say you'd be amazed at how many broadband customers do not know about the free analogue channels.

They wern't free analog channels. There was no way to prevent broadband customers from tuning them in but it was a paid service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

They wern't free analog channels. There was no way to prevent broadband customers from tuning them in but it was a paid service.

Effectively free so. Plenty of households will be affected by this, particularly older folk who VM and UPC pretty much kept in the dark for years as to what they could receive for literally no extra cash per month. For many more customers, the secondary TVs upstairs, in other rooms, etc more infrequently watched, will be screwed.

Extra sub or SAT/saorview are the only options. thankfully, I’ve an octo LNB sitting in wait. Will have to get the ladder up soon.

Cue “mick, the satellite installer”. They’ll be everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Only thing that kept me with them was analog signal have it split to 4 rooms. I just want the bog channels none of this digital crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

dodzy wrote:
    Effectively free so.

Indeed. But what will happen is people like the guy who posted earlier who only have broadband with virgin will get upset at the loss of a service they weren't subscribed to. I can't see virgin going out of their way to accommodate these folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Indeed. But what will happen is people like the guy who posted earlier who only have broadband with virgin will get upset at the loss of a service they weren't subscribed to. I can't see virgin going out of their way to accommodate these folk.

They've no reason not to change from virgin broadband now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Clitheroekid

Reply tp dodzy re satellite option.Height of satellite dish depends on line of sight,I have 3 dishes mounted on a back wall each 1.5 metres from ground.It is much easier for maintenance. Unless dish has to be attached to front of residence avoid height.

Reply tp dodzy re satellite option.Height of satellite dish depends on line of sight,I have 3 dishes mounted on a back wall each 1.5 metres from ground.It is much easier for maintenance. Unless dish has to be attached to front of residence avoid height.
    If dish has to be attached to front make sure it's at least two drunks high ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, https://www.virginmedia.ie/newlineup/, https://www.virginmedia.ie/business/newlineup/
    The Analogue TV channel line-up is reducing to nine channels soon.

1520520304996.png

To keep watching all of your current channels, you’ll have to switch over to digital TV.

This is happening so we can improve the performance and capacity of our broadband network and is the first phase of Digital Switchover in your area. Analogue TV will be switched off completely in your area in 2019. We’ll be in touch nearer the time to tell you how this will affect you.
    How do I know if I am using Virgin Media’s analogue TV?

You will have one or more TVs in your home that have a limited selection of channels and these TVs will be connected with a white cable without the use of a Digital TV box. Once you receive a communication about the switch off, if you go to BBC1 you will see a logo in the bottom left corner of the screen. You can also check channels RTE1, TV3 and BBC1 for a scrolling message two weeks before the switch off in your area.

1521639765507.png

You will have one or more TVs on your premises that have a limited selection of channels (between 11 and 20) and these TVs will be connected with a white cable without the use of a digital TV box. There will be a capital A on the bottom left corner of the screen on BBC1 for 5 weeks before the channel reduction. Also for 2 weeks before the channel reduction there will be a scrolling message on RTE1, RTE 2 and BBC1.
    When will we reduce the analogue channel lineup in others areas?

There is a phased roll out of the channel reduction, with all areas being reduced by the end of 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

@icdg/mods: now that this appears to be a nationwide plan, perhaps the thread title can be amended to Virgin Media Analogue TV Switch Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭StreetLight

They mention Cartoon Network will continue to be available, but in Dublin it was never available on analogue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Thread renamed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

They mention Cartoon Network will continue to be available, but in Dublin it was never available on analogue.

Unless they have mistaken Nickelodeon for Cartoon Network

Advertisement