Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - analogue TV service reduction and switch off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

NuMarvel wrote: »
    For anyone keeping track, I got a letter earlier this week saying the analogue service in the our area (Dublin 4), would be cut off from 16th July.

I'll probably go with the €20 Freedom TV option instead. I'd prefer the freesat and saorview options, but I don't think aerials or dishes are allowed by the estate's management company.

It's looking like an aeriel/dish arrangement is a no-go, so I was onto virgin about the Freedom Package (€20, 30 day contract). But two different people told me I wasn't eligible for it because I'd been previously on a 12 month contract. I'm going to follow up with them again soon, but I'm curious if anyone else has been told this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

They could have just put a package of unencrypted channels onto the system as a single DVB MUX. Many modern TVs can tune those without any equipment at all.

If they're just DVB C they can be used by the cable boxes in their EPGs and a lot of TVs. So you're not even duplicating channels and wasting bandwidth. Whether they're tuned by a Horizon box as part of a package or a TV as a clear channel, without the EPG it's all straight forward.

If you wanted to be really, really customer friendly you could add a single DVB-T2 it and an EPG but that would be probably canabalisng Horizon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

EdgeCase wrote: »
    If you wanted to be really, really customer friendly you could add a single DVB-T2 it and an EPG but that would be probably canabalisng Horizon.
    Or they could use DVB-T so people could use older second TV's could use it too. Use soft SD with a low bit rate so only one or two Mux and no one would be tempted to use it for their main TV.

Or they could keep jacking up the price even though they are hemoraging customers. And in this case ask for extra

They used to be cheaper, faster and more reliable and the free analog channels made it a no brainer for people whose only other option was DSL.

Now they aren't cheaper. And VDSL is good enough for most people and the free channels are going. And besides anyone who really needs 360 bandwidth will probably jump ship to FTTH if / when it becomes available.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/switchoff/
    You can also check channels RTE1, RTE2 and BBC1 for a scrolling message two weeks before the switch off in your area.

I just got my bill and have already paid for next year. Can I get this money back if I want to cancel?

If you’ve already paid your bill, don’t worry. We’ll refund you for all money paid within 2 months of services being switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Virgin Media has been all about giving less and charging more the past few years
    If it wasn't for getting a good loyalty discount I would have jumped ship before now but with a discount it's still better than any other offering. Been with them from Cablelink to UPC to VM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

fritzelly wrote: »
    Virgin Media has been all about giving less and charging more the past few years
    If it wasn't for getting a good loyalty discount I would have jumped ship before now but with a discount it's still better than any other offering. Been with them from Cablelink to UPC to VM

Been a disaster since Branson got hold...........UPC were very fair in what was offered and it's pricing ........Virgin just go up and up with very little back in return, reduction in BB choices (you can only get the top end which most people don't need) ....and the loss of BT sport was farcical

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Branson has little to do with Virgin Media other than a brand licensing deal and having appeared in an advert for them a while back. It’s ultimately controlled by John C Malone, just like it was when it was UPC.

Yup, just the face of it now (probably more to do with the British side of it)
    Pursuing his other interests like Galactic...probably make an absolute fortune if it takes off for real

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

EdgeCase wrote: »
    They could have just put a package of unencrypted channels onto the system as a single DVB MUX. Many modern TVs can tune those without any equipment at all.

If they're just DVB C they can be used by the cable boxes in their EPGs and a lot of TVs. So you're not even duplicating channels and wasting bandwidth. Whether they're tuned by a Horizon box as part of a package or a TV as a clear channel, without the EPG it's all straight forward.

Technically they could have but they cant due to broadcasting rights and restrictions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rights they'd be able to negotiate fairly easily if they wanted to; as other Liberty cable companies in Europe already do it. And some smaller Irish cable firms do it too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Rights are not really the issue at all there, after all it’s nothing they hadn’t been doing in the analogue days since time immemorial. The issue is preventing piracy and limiting access to the service to paying subscribers. After all it’s not Virgin’s job to provide a universal service - that’s up to Saorview & (for its one viewer) Saorsat.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Agree icdg, Virgin are not responsible for providing a free TV service to anyone. However, there is a big problem with usability of their current systems. Also, many digital TVs now have a DVB-C tuner and a CI slot for a decoder module. UPC certainly offer that mode of operation in Europe (Holland and possibly more places), which for some people may be a lot better than their dire boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

Same situation myself as for many posters, switch off around middle of July in Dublin 20. In a bit of a pickle as in an apartment complex with no communal satellite. Find the Virgin media TV expensive so may wait out the rest of my contract and look at Eir for their tv / broadband package which seems quite reasonable  at €45 a month for 12 months and €91 a month after that for 6 months. Maybe Ill get a cheap deal going back to Virgin after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paruss100

For anyone keeping track, I got a letter earlier this week saying the analogue service in the our area (Dublin 4), would be cut off from 16th July.

I'll probably go with the €20 Freedom TV option instead. I'd prefer the freesat and saorview options, but I don't think aerials or dishes are allowed by the estate's management company.

It's looking like an aeriel/dish arrangement is a no-go, so I was onto virgin about the Freedom Package (€20, 30 day contract). But two different people told me I wasn't eligible for it because I'd been previously on a 12 month contract. I'm going to follow up with them again soon, but I'm curious if anyone else has been told this?
    Yes I have on the webchat but am trying them again, please keep us posted if you make any progress with this as im running out of options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Red Alert wrote: »
    Agree icdg, Virgin are not responsible for providing a free TV service to anyone. However, there is a big problem with usability of their current systems. Also, many digital TVs now have a DVB-C tuner and a CI slot for a decoder module. UPC certainly offer that mode of operation in Europe (Holland and possibly more places), which for some people may be a lot better than their dire boxes.

It is also a missed trick as it would massively distinguish them from Sky as a much more friendly and flexible service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Is it possible to pick up Irish/English channels with a box like this https://www.did.ie/4life-combo-hd-set-top-box-black-sv-402-sv-402-prd and an indoor aerial if an out door one is not an option ?

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Is it possible to pick up Irish/English channels with a box like this https://www.did.ie/4life-combo-hd-set-top-box-black-sv-402-sv-402-prd and an indoor aerial if an out door one is not an option ?

Indoor aerial for Saorview will depend on your location - may get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

sonofenoch wrote: »

You will also need a Satellite dish if you want English Free to air channels

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I had a nice free run while it lasted, cancelled the digital package a couple of years back but as we have virgin broadband we still had the analogue connection with no charge. Im gradually weaning myself on terrestrial TV , so being reduced to Saorview might mean I start reading more

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still no crawler on screen or letter to subscribers here in Maynooth that I've noticed/heard of - the town had substantial areas with analogue only until about 3 years ago and some significant upgrade works (entirely new plant most of the way, collapsed ducts replaced with overhead etc etc) so they may have more paying analogue customers to convince.

I've wired the house with sat+terrestrial but need a new aerial as I'm missing Mux2 and also need some F to Belling Lee convertors (as I hate soldering/wiring the damn things) to be fully done - so I'm still using it on some TVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Analogue channels went last night on my bedroom TV. I have a sky box in the sitting room and don't want to pay an extra subscription. My bedroom TV has Freesat. Tried re-tuning it with and without the cable but got nothing. I have an old UK sky card. If I got an old sky box could I use this to get some channels via scart or would the box have to be cabled in? Sorry, know nothing about this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If I got an old sky box could I use this to get some channels via scart or would the box have to be cabled in? Sorry, know nothing about this!
    The Sky box requires a connection to the dish like the Freesat box but without a multiroom sub it will not give you any extra channels over what the Freesat box has.

If the TV is Saorview compatible test with an indoor aerial for the Irish channels.

Thanks. I don't have a Freesat box. The TV has Freesat built in which won't give me any channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I don't have a Freesat box. The TV has Freesat built in which won't give me any channels.

Cable to the LNB on the satellite dish required to receive any satellite channels. Aerial required for the Irish channels.

Is your main Sky box a SkyQ box or Sky HD? Different LNBs on the dish for both.

The Cush wrote:
    Is your main Sky box a SkyQ box or Sky HD? Different LNBs on the dish for both.

The Cush wrote:
    Cable to the LNB on the satellite dish required to receive any satellite channels. Aerial required for the Irish channels.

Thanks. It's a hd box. Looks like I'll have to use Chromecast as a work around. Seems the simplest thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

remember if they are charging you for a second connection point that is now useless

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Got my letter in Dublin 18 today, reduction to 7 analog channels on August 20th and switch-off in 2019.

Analog signal will be reduced on Aug. 20th to the Irish (Saorview) channels plus BBC1, Sky News and the Cartoon Network but ....

Analog TV will be switched off completely in your area in 2019. We'll be in touch nearer the time to tell you how this will affect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

coylemj wrote: »
    Got my letter in Dublin 18 today, reduction to 7 analog channels on August 20th and switch-off in 2019.

Analog signal will be reduced on Aug. 20th to the Irish (Saorview) channels plus BBC1, Sky News and the Cartoon Network but ....

Analog TV will be switched off completely in your area in 2019. We'll be in touch nearer the time to tell you how this will affect you.

I know The Cush mentioned earlier in this thread about a reduction coming soon but this has to be the first area in Dublin to reduce channel line up

All other areas were turned off completely

Has anyone else seen or heard of other areas that a reduction is on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Radio Gold

Got one of the Virgin letters today here in killiney, co. Dublin, they said on Aug. 20th it will be reduced to 9 channels and switched off completely in 2019 in our area.

Virgin just keep taking away more and more stuff for the same price (well I'm sure there'll be an increase in a few months)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Delta2113

fritzelly wrote: »
    Virgin just keep taking away more and more stuff for the same price (well I'm sure there'll be an increase in a few months)

You get more channels with Digital. Analogue has to go it's old technology.

Advertisement