Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - analogue TV service reduction and switch off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Trasna1 wrote:
    They've no reason not to change from virgin broadband now either.

If there is better value broadband then sure they should. But the thing is chances are the broadband package they are is the fastest and cheapest available so saying they will move is a fairly empty threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Indeed. But what will happen is people like the guy who posted earlier who only have broadband with virgin will get upset at the loss of a service they weren't subscribed to. I can't see virgin going out of their way to accommodate these folk.

If that is about me then no, I couldn't care less if analogue disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Kilkenny analogue switch off

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/home/307953/virgin-media-announce-major-digital-upgrade-for-kilkenny.html
    Virgin Media has announced that Kilkenny is to receive a 'major digital upgrade' through the replacement of the city’s analogue television service with a new digital signal, bringing it in line with the rest of Europe and allowing residents to receive a wide range of digital TV services.
    "Over the coming days, Virgin Media will be communicating our digital upgrade plans to homes and business in Kilkenny. Our award-winning services raise the bar in home entertainment, marrying the latest and smartest technology with the very best TV programs, all underpinned by our ultrafast cable network. We are very excited about the move and are looking forward to building more relationships in Kilkenny.”

For more information, visit virginmedia.ie/switchoff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It switched off in Cork City probably more than a decade ago at this stage. The cable network in Cork was unusual in so far as the analogue system was encrypted so when digital TV became the norm, they just did a box swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

No reduction in Dublin 15 - getting cut completely in May 2018 (about 3 weeks time)

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

VM can only offer a max of 4 boxes in any single household. I've 4 boxes and 3 other analogue points. So basically I now need to decide which 3 rooms won't get TV! (Or move to IPTV for those rooms!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I'd say they'll cost themselves a lot of older customers, who'll just jump to FTA satellite.
    I was surprised to hear a lot of 'auld ones' discussing it there over the last while. It'll upset a lot of customers who were only with them through sheer inertia.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bulbs2010

If there is better value broadband then sure they should. But the thing is chances are the broadband package they are is the fastest and cheapest available so saying they will move is a fairly empty threat.
    but it might be worth trying siro now

bulbs2010 wrote: »
    All virgin customers in mullingar were notified by post this morning the analog serrvice will be turned off on 23 april 2018

Has the switch off happened yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

You may find that, if you have a TV with a DVB-C decoder, that some of the digital channels are free. I checked this in London and there were the main 5 UK channels available free.

• Advertisement

winston_1 wrote: »
    You may find that, if you have a TV with a DVB-C decoder, that some of the digital channels are free. I checked this in London and there were the main 5 UK channels available free.

This was a list of channels carried unencrypted on UPC cable about 4 years ago - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91110196

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Antenna

Unless they have mistaken Nickelodeon for Cartoon Network

And why would either channel continue to be available after the analogue channel reduction rather than BBC2? (which is not on the list), a channel likely to be watched by elderly people - who are more likely to have issues moving to digital cable service.

Antenna wrote: »
    And why would either channel continue to be available after the analogue channel reduction rather than BBC2? (which is not on the list), a channel likely to be watched by elderly people - who are more likely to have issues moving to digital cable service.

This is about encouraging analogue subscribers to move to digital and not making it convenient for them to stay on analogue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Cush wrote: »
    This was a list of channels carried unencrypted on UPC cable about 4 years ago - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91110196

I've done a DVBC scan here and got RTE News Now and nothing else. However blind scans can be fairly poor.

edit: done again now using SR 6887 and 256QAM; found very little until it must have hit a NIT towards the end, but it doesn't have everything so there's probably some 64QAM or different SRs still in use. The radio stations are all clear as is RTE1 SD but that's all I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

My grandmother is 92 and has this analogue in Bray, she likes her tv and can use this easily enough but otherwise isn't tech savvy.

any idea what we can set her up with to replace this that's easy to use?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

patrickc wrote: »
    My grandmother is 92 and has this analogue in Bray, she likes her tv and can use this easily enough but otherwise isn't tech savvy.

thanks

If she’s paying for the service currently, just get them (VM) to send out a box (non horizon) with the basic plan and plug & play. Cost difference is negligible. By far the easiest way for both you and her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

I don't think VM and most people people realise how difficult the Virgin Media boxes are for the older folk - several older relatives of mine have struggled with it over the years.

The Two power on buttons on the remote was causing the tv sometimes to not switch to the correct AV source on them.

The Analog system was perfect for the very non tech savvy as there was one remote - one volume and one +- channel selector.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

ozmo wrote: »
    I don't think VM and most people people realise how difficult the Virgin Media boxes are for the older folk - both my parents and parents in law have struggled with it over the years.

The Two power on buttons on the remote was causing the tv sometimes to not switch to the correct AV source on them.

The Analog system was perfect for the very non tech savvy as there was one remote - one volume and one +- channel selector.

+1 on this. Had a similar situation with a relative and ended up buying a brand new Tv with built in Saorview tuner. Old tv was 10+ years old and although worked fine, attaching a Saorview box would have meant two remotes and possible issues with the source button.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrwish

thanks

The easiest in terms of having one TV remote and one list of channels would be to get one of the newer Walker or Nordmende TVs with Saorview and satellite built-in. You’d need a dish for the UK channels and an aerial for Saorview, but the Irish and UK stations are all in one list on the TV so it’s still fairly easy.

There’s a thread about them on here -

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057717391?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

Are the newer digital non horizon boxes any easier to use than the old upc boxes? Wondering if I could ask virgin for an upgrade if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

ozmo wrote: »
    I don't think VM and most people people realise how difficult the Virgin Media boxes are for the older folk - several older relatives of mine have struggled with it over the years.

Well you won’t get easier than a VM (not horizon) Box going forward. One volume button, one channel up/down. Power button for box/TV. Older folks, once instructed, will be fine. Don’t underestimate them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭useeme

what size is the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

+1. Letter received in the post on Fri stating the analog service in Dublin 15 will be cut from 07-May-2018.

Despite a banner running across the bottom of the screen saying the analogue service will be disconnected on May 7th all is still working as before. No idea how long this will last.

10,900 drop in analogue cable TV subscribers reported in Liberty Global's Q1 2018 results published earlier - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106943245#post106943245

Not sure if this the actual reduction this quarter or the planned reduction related to the analogue cable switch off this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Despite a banner running across the bottom of the screen saying the analogue service will be disconnected on May 7th all is still working as before. No idea how long this will last.

Mine is gone as of this morning, in Dublin 15. Knew it wouldnt hang around for long, still havent done anything about it though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

Have 2 boxes downstairs and just old analog in bedroom-thinking of getting the digital working upstairs using a hdmi splitter on the output side from the downstairs box but problem is changing a channel (any long range remote type system that might work??) I won’t be watching downstairs at same time as upstairs btw.. (don’t want to give them money for another rarely used box)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Mine is gone as of this morning, in Dublin 15. Knew it wouldnt hang around for long, still havent done anything about it though :o

I spoke too soon, gone of this morning also. I haven't done anything about it either, was using it as the only source of TV so will now be ordering a satellite receiver box to hook up an existing dish for FTA channels and probably also have to get an aeriel for the different Irish soarview channels.
    Might then move from Virgin altogether as paying them €56/m for broadband (they wouldn't play ball when contract was up a couple of months ago and best they'd offer me was €5 off per month). Always got 6 months half price previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

useeme wrote: »
    what size is the box?

My CISCO HD DVR 8685 (UPC branded) is W 41cm x D 24.5cm x H 5cm and is very user friendly. Channel up and down, although I use the TV remote for volume as the UPC remote only has 10 volume options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Muahahaha wrote: »

Anyone know if the Dublin 15 area is the only part of Dublin to be disconnected so far?

And if there are any other areas to be switched off in the coming weeks or months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

dodzy wrote: »
    Well you won’t get easier than a VM (not horizon) Box going forward. One volume button, one channel up/down. Power button for box/TV. Older folks, once instructed, will be fine. Don’t underestimate them ;)

For anyone having issues migrating an older relative to a FTA sat box, I can highly recommend one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0014F2CJC/

I cancelled my mother’s Virgin and moved her to an Ariva combo box. With this remote and a cut down channel list she’s fully self sufficent and I no longer get nightly support calls about getting Coronation Street on the telly

Advertisement