Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media - analogue TV service reduction and switch off

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

ozmo wrote: »
    You can get a hdmi over Ethernet adapter for about 40 -it splits the signal and has a remote control relay to the Upc box.
    Make sure to get one that has a hdmi output at the sender so you don’t need a separate powered splitter.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B071S7VQWX

Cheers, might give it a try. It’s the remote control that’s the big hurdle..VM can’t use a Magic Eye otherwise that’d be sorted all very quickly with a splitter :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

The analogue is being reduced from 15 channels to 9 here in Enniscorthy and then being switched off totally, I got a letter from them 2 weeks ago. Siro are surveying the town the last few weeks which might have influenced VM's decision. Will the shutting down of the analogue mean higher BB speeds?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

jca wrote: »
    The analogue is being reduced from 15 channels to 9 here in Enniscorthy and then being switched off totally, I got a letter from them 2 weeks ago. Siro are surveying the town the last few weeks which might have influenced VM's decision. Will the shutting down of the analogue mean higher BB speeds?

It opens up bandwidth for broadband use; but the max on their current tech is 400mbit. Would need to be headend upgrades to go beyond that.

Increasing normal entry level packages will help in competing with Siro though.

L1011 wrote: »
    It opens up bandwidth for broadband use; but the max on their current tech is 400mbit. Would need to be headend upgrades to go beyond that.

Increasing normal entry level packages will help in competing with Siro though.

The system here is brand new would it have the newer equipment already?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Darando wrote: »
    Cheers, might give it a try. It’s the remote control that’s the big hurdle..VM can’t use a Magic Eye otherwise that’d be sorted all very quickly with a splitter :(

The remote is RF. It may well work fine from the bedroom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

jca wrote: »
    The system here is brand new would it have the newer equipment already?

Possibly, but they would want to be able to launch across most of the network at once; or at least most Siro or Eir FTTH areas.

L1011 wrote: »
    Possibly, but they would want to be able to launch across most of the network at once; or at least most Siro or Eir FTTH areas.

Siro is coming gaeltec are surveying strongly, interesting times lie ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Their bigger and more immediate threat is OpenEir’s super vectoring which is already to roll and gives them up to 250mbit/s and beyond on short lines. That potentially makes virgins speeds look a lot more ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭kline64

Have vm tv,broadband,phone horizon box in sitting room have a splitter sending 17analogue channels upstairs and kitchen. Analogue being turned of 5th June have no idea what to do to still receive those channels in bedroom and kitchen, anyone able to tell me my options thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

kline64 wrote: »
    Have vm tv,broadband,phone horizon box in sitting room have a splitter sending 17analogue channels upstairs and kitchen. Analogue being turned of 5th June have no idea what to do to still receive those channels in bedroom and kitchen, anyone able to tell me my options thanks

If the TV has a Saorview tuner built in, then you just need an aerial for all the Irish channels. That's by far the cheapest option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Where do you live right now if you're having virgin analogue switched off from today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Not sure it will affect you like you think, Isn't the virgin box getting a digital signal? and then it's just using analogue cable from the box to other tv's.

Same as my sky digital box getting a digital signal from the dish, but then using the two analogue connections on the back of the box to feed other tv's in my kitchen and bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Skatedude wrote: »
    Not sure it will affect you like you think, Isn't the virgin box getting a digital signal? and then it's just using analogue cable from the box to other tv's.

Same as my sky digital box getting a digital signal from the dish, but then using the two analogue connections on the back of the box to feed other tv's in my kitchen and bedroom.

The Virgin digital signal needs a Virgin box to decode it. It doesn’t carry a Saorview signal. You need an aerial & Saorview tuner to pick up Saorview.

RTE etc are carried on Virgin & although the content is the same, they are not the same signal as Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Skatedude wrote: »
    Not sure it will affect you like you think, Isn't the virgin box getting a digital signal? and then it's just using analogue cable from the box to other tv's

Are there any analogue outputs on the VM boxes? Even if there are outputs surely it'll be limited to the channel being watched on the box and not independent access to the full range of channels lost on the analogue service.

Where do you live right now if you're having virgin analogue switched off from today?

Hi I live in Tallaght Dublin supposed to be today the 5th June, still on tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭ooter

Has anyone in the Dublin 7 area got a letter yet about the analogue switch off?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hi I live in Tallaght Dublin supposed to be today the 5th June, still on tho

Ok. Are there a few favourite channels of yours that you watch regularly from it?

Ok. Are there a few favourite channels of yours that you watch regularly from it?

I watch most of them to be honest apart from tg4. Update there all off !! Have hooked up my Chromecast for now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

For anyone keeping track, I got a letter earlier this week saying the analogue service in the our area (Dublin 4), would be cut off from 16th July.

I'll probably go with the €20 Freedom TV option instead. I'd prefer the freesat and saorview options, but I don't think aerials or dishes are allowed by the estate's management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

NuMarvel wrote: »
    For anyone keeping track, I got a letter earlier this week saying the analogue service in the our area (Dublin 4), would be cut off from 16th July.

I'll probably go with the €20 Freedom TV option instead. I'd prefer the freesat and saorview options, but I don't think aerials or dishes are allowed by the estate's management company.

This might be an option if you need a stealthy dish: https://www.satellitetv.ie/sqish-flat-satellite-dish-quad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

stimpson wrote: »
    This might be an option if you need a stealthy dish: https://www.satellitetv.ie/sqish-flat-satellite-dish-quad

Thanks for that. Worth looking at. Might even be able to sneak it past the landlord too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

stimpson wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Worth looking at. Might even be able to sneak it past the landlord too ;)

Another similar option
    http://www.freetv.ie/?subcats=Y&pcode_from_q=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=selfsat&dispatch=products.search

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

Is their any device that you can hook up to the cable from the wall and place into the tv to get the channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Don't know the date it's occurring but apparently the letter about shutdown has been sent out in the Drimnagh/Walkinstown area this week .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Got letter in door today in D8
    Shame - handy being able to flick thru the tv channels for news and stuff

Will finally have to get the aerial sorted for Saorview instead of a mast direction guestimate in the attic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

SPDUB wrote: »
    Don't know the date it's occurring but apparently the letter about shutdown has been sent out in the Drimnagh/Walkinstown area this week .

It's July 16th .

I got the letter myself this morning even though I haven't been a customer for 3 years and they actually came out and physically disconnected it 10 months after that .

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Scrolling message going across some of the analog stations in Limerick now. Says turn off date is the 18th. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

How are they actually disconnecting the service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

D3V!L wrote: »
    How are they actually disconnecting the service ?

Simply remove it at their end unplug equipment will take minutes...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fritzelly wrote: »
    Got letter in door today in D8
    Shame - handy being able to flick thru the tv channels for news and stuff

Will finally have to get the aerial sorted for Saorview instead of a mast direction guestimate in the attic
    Also in D20

http://www.saorview.ie/en/get/coverage

Check for 28.2E for Astra 2 for the UK channels on Freesat
    http://www.satpointer.com/
    http://www.dishpointer.com/

Advertisement