Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller: Life in the Marches - A ship of our own

Options
  • 18-02-2018 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

"Good evening passengers, this is the captain of your Liner, the 'Swordward Bound' speaking. We will be exiting from jump space in approximately five minutes.

All passengers wishing to continue on to the Sword Worlds please remain on board. Any wishing to travel deeper into the Bowman Arm, please disembark at Flammarion high port. Several amenities are aboard the high port, such as restaurants, bars, sports arenas, you name it.

Flammarion itself is owned by the Flammarion mining corporation. Descent to the surface requires clearance papers. See the corporation's kiosk for more information."

A small set of shudders wash over the ship as it exits jump space. Flammarion and the high port are clearly visible from the windows on the left side of the liner.

Nestor (OOC: OldGoat) can tell that Flammarion itself, a dull brown world, is barely terraformed with the corporate standard single ocean and one big continent, atmosphere probably not that breathable.

The ship docks with the highport's underside. Two huge space stations are attached to the main high port via docking tethers. One bears the mark of the Imperial navy and the other the mark of the Scout Service.

T7kCto.jpg

Everybody had received the same instructions via the same channels. An offer of employment from the Imperial Scout Service. The message had said to meet Jansen Cas on the second floor of the Scout station.

The docking clamps connect and the air lock into the high port is open.

There are at least a few thousand visitors at the moment. On entry to the space station, two bars are visible, a 'Star Bowl (TM)' hotel and a 'FIGHTING CHANCE' gaming area. A steakhouse across the main square, 'Gutty's ribs' seems to be popular.

OOC: To start with, go where ever you want. A restaurant, a bar, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Nestor heads for a bite to eat in Guttys.
    "If the navy are in dock then I'm staying away from the bars, too early to be getting into fights with drunk sailors. Time for food before the meeting."

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

sKeith wrote: »

Apologies - how's that work?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

gozunda wrote: »
    Apologies - how's that work?

OOC: Without detracting too much from the game itself, if you're interested in playing you should read the thread via the link sKeith provided. Or you can PM the DM/OP here, Fourier and he'll be able to answer any queries you have.

Any questions should be directed to thread linked as well as this one is for the players :)

OOC: I may be hallucinating slightly as I adjust to the space station gravity and oxygen rich atmosphere.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Dhinor decides to hit the bar. Hard.

'No point being in the Navy if you can't get drunk and then into fights while on shore leave'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Alex gets a bite to eat, got to fuel up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Verne stretches his long frame as he disembarks. It's nice to have a bit of space. His nostrils pick up the smell of meat and he heads over to the steakhouse for a fat juicy rare steak, mouth watering in anticipation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Evan waits until he's sure a few other passengers have disembarked. He's always had a terrible fear of being first off the boat, of being abandoned, though he's never been exactly sure why. It's silly really.

Once his feet hit the reassuring thud of of the space-station deck, he does what any self respecting traveller in a new star port does. He goes looking for a extrality-protected, almost duty free Toblerone and then the TAS facilities.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bakleth steps off the ship and stretches his four legs. It's not easy being confined on a ship for his kind. He trots in the direction of the nearest Veggie bar. He doesn't want any 'incidents' so soon with those infernal meat eaters.

Even being in their presence is enraging sometimes, but he's learned to control it a little.

He enters the Veggie shop.

'Greetings humie - what is on the menu for a friendly K'Kree?'

Dhinor hiccups loudly, while staring stupidly at his almost empty glass of Whiskey. Not his first glass, he giggles to himself in his mind.

'Hic' he says.

• Advertisement

Nestor, while giving a food order to the waitress takes the time to engage in some station chitchat and gossip.
    "I'm new to the station, anything of note happening lately, apart from the navy ship I mean?"
    I listen to the waitress prattle on, hoping to pick some nuggets of news and I watch the other patrons of the foodhall with idle curiosity.

Bakleth devours his 15th plate of processed vegetables and snorts. It's not the same as the sustenance on Kirur, his homeworld... but he ain't ever going back there so this will have to do.

He leaves the Veggie bar, rolls his eyes in disdain at the the pub across the street. They probably sell meat in there, but he's thirsty and in need of some pumpkin ale. He trots in and tries to ignore the mass of disgusting meat eaters dining on carcasses of majestic animals.

'Barkeep, a Pumpkin Ale for me please.'

He looks across and sees a humie draining a whiskey.

'And a drink for the humie too.'

He plops himself down beside the Whiskey drinker.

'Greetings humie, I saw you on the ship. What brings you to this place?'

OOC: (Out of Character for the new players) This is what my character looks like for reference :)

916307a.jpg

having finished two bowls of what passes for stew here, Alex heads towards the nearest bar. You never know when you'll get your next chance to sit down and have a drink in this line of work so might as well enjoy it while its here.
    He sits at the edge of the busy bar, back to the corner with a view of the door and orders a glass of whatevers local and chaser.

Evan wanders around the concourse, eating toblerone and wishing he had remembered to look up what TAS stood for, because he's damned if he can find the office.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Bakleth devours his 15th plate of processed vegetables and snorts. It's not the same as the sustenance on Kirur, his homeworld... but he ain't ever going back there so this will have to do.

He leaves the Veggie bar, rolls his eyes in disdain at the the pub across the street. They probably sell meat in there, but he's thirsty and in need of some pumpkin ale. He trots in and tries to ignore the mass of disgusting meat eaters dining on carcasses of majestic animals.

'Barkeep, a Pumpkin Ale for me please.'

He looks across and sees a humie draining a whiskey.

'And a drink for the humie too.'

He plops himself down beside the Whiskey drinker.

'Greetings humie, I saw you on the ship. What brings you to this place?'

'Gshrubbin shecndkddj blerp'

Dhinor keels over and vomits out his last whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Licking his lips with pleasure, Verne finishes up his steak and leaves the steakhouse. Looking with disdain at the bar and gambling den he shakes out his mane and heads off to find this Jansen Cas.

Alex knocks back the chaser, tastes like crap but what can you expect. He shoulders his backpack and heads to the scout station to meet his contact.

Dhinor takes out a 'Sober Me Up (TM)' pill and throws it down his gullet.

He turns towards Bakleth.

'Whats that orange stuff you are drinking, friend?'

Bakleth sips on his drink.

'Pumpkin Ale, my friend. No added conservatives or.... meat products. I'm a K'Kree, I'm sure you understand.'

Bakleth turns and regards the other humie, although he turns up his nose at the smell of stew coming from him.

'And good day to you sir!'

While he's savouring the smooth flavour of the chocolate and the satisfying crunch of the almonds, marveling at it's crocodile-like longevity and refusal to evolve despite how far mankind had come in the last few millennia, Evan notices a man watching him from across the concourse. He turns his back on this voyeur, watching him approach in the reflection of the bar's front window. When the stranger is within a few feet of him, Evan spins, flicking a chunk of toblerone into the man's mouth. The triangular form gives the chocolate fantastic rotational strength, width and aerodynamism, it strikes the back of his mouth hard, damaging the strangers facial nerve while also blocking his throat. The stranger's face becomes oddly serene as a result of the nerve trauma even as his windpipe closes, unable to dislodge the melting, delicious gunk. Evan puts an arm around him and helps him onto a nearby bench lying him down. Despite his inability to emote, the fear in his eyes is haunting. Evan whispers soothing words into the man's ear to see him on his way, then deftly steals his wallet and heads to the bar. Guess he's going to be needing a drink after all.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Evan spins, flicking a chunk of toblerone into the man's mouth. The triangular form gives the chocolate fantastic rotational strength, width and aerodynamism...

OOC:
    #Made with triangular almonds,
    From triangular trees,
    And triangular honey,
    From triangular bees.

And oh, Mr Confectioner please,
    Give me Toblerone a feckin' gun!"#

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

OOC: Now that everybody has had a bit of time to get used to this, I'm going to start responding twice a day.
    conor222 wrote: »
    Alex knocks back the chaser, tastes like crap but what can you expect. He shoulders his backpack and heads to the scout station to meet his contact.
    Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Licking his lips with pleasure, Verne finishes up his steak and leaves the steakhouse. Looking with disdain at the bar and gambling den he shakes out his mane and heads off to find this Jansen Cas.

Verne and Alex arrive in front of the entry to the Scout Base. The base bears the insignia of the Scouts:

ZkcHrN.jpg

The only floor visible from the entrance is the first. Staff rush about the place, constantly on calls, uploading data or running simulations on their workstations. A large alert rings throughout the floor, an Xboat has arrived in the system carrying new data on planet positions to update the local archives.

The secretary, a near Terran human distinguished only by a slightly too stocky frame, notices the two of them.

"Anything I can help you with?"

Necrominus wrote: »

Bakleth turns and regards the other humie, although he turns up his nose at the smell of stew coming from him.

'And good day to you sir!'
    Bakleth notices people in the station staring at him, a K'Kree is an unusual sight this far from the Two Thousand worlds.

A hiver in the distance spots Bakleth and ambulates his way over via that strange dance they do.

mOYJ0W.gif

It starts flailing its arms wildly, at times walloping its back with enough force to break a human arm, the thud makes Bakleth wince. The translation device attached around the hiver's primary arm gets to work on turning the gestures into conventional language.

"Hello there, I'm Steven, I can't help but notice you are literally clinically insane. Can I be of assistance?"

Evan wanders around the concourse, eating toblerone and wishing he had remembered to look up what TAS stood for, because he's damned if he can find the office.
    Evan doesn't find a TAS office on this station. Looking at the amount of people coming through and their social class, he guesses there isn't enough cash to support one.

Pter wrote: »
    Dhinor takes out a 'Sober Me Up (TM)' pill and throws it down his gullet.

He turns towards Bakleth.

'Whats that orange stuff you are drinking, friend?'
    After Bakleth leaves, a man in impressive power armour sits down next to Dhinor. A star marine, that much is obvious, the kind who are fired toward enemy ships in small drill pods to perform boarding operations. You have to be two things to be a star marine, almost unerringly brave and a survivor of some of the roughest training in the navy.

"You used to be in the Navy friend? You're hitting that drink like one of us"

Evan whispers soothing words into the man's ear to see him on his way, then deftly steals his wallet and heads to the bar. Guess he's going to be needing a drink after all.
    OOC: Up to you if this actually happened. The attempt alone would require a difficult aiming roll.

Fourier wrote: »
    Bakleth notices people in the station staring at him, a K'Kree is an unusual sight this far from the Two Thousand worlds.

A hiver in the distance spots Bakleth and ambulates his way over via that strange dance they do.

mOYJ0W.gif

It starts flailing its arms wildly, at times walloping its back with enough force to break a human arm, the thud makes Bakleth wince. The translation device attached around the hiver's primary arm gets to work on turning the gestures into conventional language.

"Hello there, I'm Steven, I can't help but notice you are literally clinically insane. Can I be of assistance?"

Bakleth turns and frowns in typical K'Kree fashion at the hiver.

'Insane? That's what they said, yes. I happen to think I'm relatively normal... for a K'Kree without any family, partners or even children that is. What sort of assistance can you provide me anyways?'

While he's savouring the smooth flavour of the chocolate and the satisfying crunch of the almonds, marveling at it's crocodile-like longevity and refusal to evolve despite how far mankind had come in the last few millennia, Evan notices a man watching him from across the concourse. He turns his back on this voyeur, watching him approach in the reflection of the bar's front window. When the stranger is within a few feet of him, Evan spins, flicking a chunk of toblerone...
    It lands on the floor out on the promenade of the station. Luckily the floors are incredibly hygienic.

Evan checks his pockets. He can't find any pride. He stoops to pick up the errant chunk, realising that he hadn't compensated for the drag of the thicker base edge. He nibbles it off, laughing. "Fool me once, shame on you, Toblerone!"

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    "I'm new to the station, anything of note happening lately, apart from the navy ship I mean?"
    I listen to the waitress prattle on, hoping to pick some nuggets of news and I watch the other patrons of the foodhall with idle curiosity.
    "Not really Sir, little tends to happen here on Flammarion, except mining and more mining.

I'd head deeper into the Arm systems if you want some excitement"

Advertisement