Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller: Life in the Marches - A ship of our own

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bakleth stares at the ranting, Toblerone chewing, human with a mixture of disgust and a smirk.

'Bakleth no like Toblerone. Toblerone contain dead animal. But Toblerone not meat so Bakleth like you puny humie.'

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Banjo wrote: »
    "See? It's happening already. History repeats, acquaintances. Give a drunk sailor a hint of power or advantage and he'll mutiny. Mr Cas, you'll never see your data or a financial return while this moron is waving that ****ing thing around. In a few weeks time you'll be assembling another bunch of no-hopers, shoveling another 6 grand at them and firing those poor bastards into the void to recover our marooned corpses and whatever databank this idiot has on him when he turns up dead in a whorehouse for roughing the girls up."
    He turns to Dhinor.
    "No offense big guy. I'm speaking figuratively".

"Cas has just handed all of us a gun and you are worried about my sword? Envy doesnt look good on you, friend. I wouldnt worry about me handling this sword. I know which end is pointy and which isnt; and ive a fair idea how to identify friend from foe when using such a weapon."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pter wrote: »
    "Cas has just handed all of us a gun and you are worried about my sword? Envy doesnt look good on you, friend. I wouldnt worry about me handling this sword. I know which end is pointy and which isnt; and ive a fair idea how to identify friend from foe when using such a weapon."

(in monotone) "Hahahahahahaahhahahha. Ha. Haha." (end monotone)
    "Yes, that's right, we should all feel safer because we have projectile weapons to protect ourselves in the pressurised tin can with the void outside it. That won't end in explosive disaster! I thought you said you were a navy pilot? You've blown your cover son! Now, who are you really working for? Why did they send you? What do they want from me?"

OOC : Why does everyone always assume my character is mad in every game?

(in monotone) "Hahahahahahaahhahahha. Ha. Haha." (end monotone)
    "Yes, that's right, we should all feel safer because we have projectile weapons to protect ourselves in the pressurised tin can with the void outside it. That won't end in explosive disaster! I thought you said you were a navy pilot? You've blown your cover son! Now, who are you really working for? Why did they send you? What do they want from me?"

Dhinors bemusment at the small mans protestations was fading.

'Have you any melee weapon training, friend? Because i do. So if you are jabbering on looking for a weapon, having had no training for that weapon, i think you can see why we might be reluctant to accommodate you.

This is going to be a long mission if you are going to be talking this much all the time.

Why dont you go find yourself some more Toblerone there. Good man.'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    What brings you to a place like this? I thought Ghosts didn't like to stray?'
    "Lets just say that I was "offered" a choice to explore the universe or to "remain"under the guidance and control of the authorities of my world. Leaving was an altogether more attractive option."

I turn to Cas and in a no nonsense voice itemise my requirements. "I want full medical inventory of the ship, refill of all the standard drugs, a tranq pistol and darts, a new set of med tools, a full military spec shotgun, a low powered laser scalpel, a set of waterpaints, a heavy duty air conditioner, a complete diagnostics kit and the medical database for each species in the group as well as for the last known crew of the ship and I want to rename our ship when we take control. 'The art of Probability, words woven in the stars' has a nice ring to it don't you think?"
    "Oh, and some wine".

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    "Lets just say that I was "offered" a choice to explore the universe or to "remain"under the guidance and control of the authorities of my world. Leaving was an altogether more attractive option."

I turn to Cas and in a no nonsense voice itemise my requirements. "I want full medical inventory of the ship, refill of all the standard drugs, a tranq pistol and darts, a new set of med tools, a full military spec shotgun, a low powered laser scalpel, a set of waterpaints, a heavy duty air conditioner, a complete diagnostics kit and the medical database for each species in the group as well as for the last known crew of the ship and I want to rename our ship when we take control. 'The art of Probability, words woven in the stars' has a nice ring to it don't you think?"
    "Oh, and some wine".

Dhinor frowns before sheating his blade.

'The first thing you said there seems at odds with the second thing, medic. What were you inside for? And why, if you were behind bars, would we be giving you tranqs and a shottie? I like to gamble as much as anyone, but this strains my desire to let the dice roll'.

Evan giggles at the hypocrite with the lightsabre.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bakleth snickers at the mountain of requests pouring in.

'Bakleth has his own requests, but seeing as puny humie knew there was a K'Kree travelling, Bakleth presumes my sleeping quarters is provided with non meat associated products... and some straw, artificial or not to lay my head.'

He trots out the door and observes the secretary who is glancing at him oddly.

Dhinor is getting impatient.

'Anyone have any ideas on how to get to Walston'

OOC: Because it's inevitable judging by past history. :)
    Dhinor frowns before sheating his blade.

'The first thing you said there seems at odds with the second thing, medic. What were you inside for? And why, if you were being bars, would we be giving you tranqs and a shottie? I like to gamble as much as anyone, but this strains my desire to let the dice roll'.

"It's a story I may tell you to pass time on the long nights of travelling through the void. Then again, I may not. As to my need for medical equipment, would you rather I went without? When you open your own artery with that reaver- sticker blade I'll be sure to stitch you up without anaesthetic."

• Advertisement

"It's a story I may tell you to pass time on the long nights of travelling through the void. Then again, I may not. As to my need for medical equipment, would you rather I went without? When you open your own artery with that reaver- sticker blade I'll be sure to stitch you up without anaesthetic."

'Fair point, medic. Its not my arteries you need worry about. 'The Negotiator' and I are fast friends already. And she is very easy to use for a trained hand.'

OOC: I have named my sword 'The Negotiator'.

'The first thing you said there seems at odds with the second thing, medic. What were you inside for? And why, if you were being bars, would we be giving you tranqs and a shottie? I like to gamble as much as anyone, but this strains my desire to let the dice roll'.

"I'd trust someone who's paid for their crimes before I'd trust someone who's still threatening to commit 'em. But I tell you what - Why don't we let you shoot her with the tranq and then she can hit you with the sword, and we'll see who's rolling dice here?"
    He turns to Cas.
    "Do you have some sort of a collar or an obedience chip we can put in the pitbull? Or maybe some treats we can train him with? Synth or vegetarian ones, I don't want to upset our clippity-cloppity friend."

"I'd trust someone who's paid for their crimes before I'd trust someone who's still threatening to commit 'em. But I tell you what - Why don't we let you shoot her with the tranq and then she can hit you with the sword, and we'll see who's rolling dice here?"
    He turns to Cas.
    "Do you have some sort of a collar or an obedience chip we can put in the pitbull? Or maybe some treats we can train him with? Synth or vegetarian ones, I don't want to upset our clippity-cloppity friend."

'No-one but me will be using this sword, chocolate briches. And it will be getting used a lot sooner than expected if anyone comes near me with any kind of collar.''

Nestor nods to Cas and heads out to find the quartermaster to collect what Cas has decided to give her. Anyone who looks at the arm of the chair where she has been sitting might notice that carved into the psudowood of the arm of the chair is a bas-relief of the members of the crew posed together heroically.

star-wars-wallpaper-raise-the-imperial-flag.jpg

Dhinor joins Nestor in heading to the Quartermaster.

Bakleth follows the puny humans.

NEstor smiles at Dhinor and whispers "Lets hope the wine is vegetarian or ClipCloppy the centaur might not let us take it. Did you notice how he looks vaguely like the creature on the Scouts insignia?"

Dhinor takes a bag of apples out of his travelling bag, takes a bite, before looking at Bakleth and proffering one of the other apples to Bakleth.

'Apple?'

NEstor smiles at Dhinor and whispers "Lets hope the wine is vegetarian or ClipCloppy the centaur might not let us take it. Did you notice how he looks vaguely like the creature on the Scouts insignia?"

Dhinor smiles in return and furtively responds:

'Ive never seen a drunk K'Kree in fairness. Id imagine its hard to manage the 4 feet when under the influence.'

Bakleth appreciates the bigger puny humans gesture and accepts the apple graciously.

'Thank you sword man.'

He munches on the apple with the hunger of an army of K'Kree, practically inhaling the apple.

'Another, perhaps?'

• Advertisement

Necrominus wrote: »
    Bakleth appreciates the bigger puny humans gesture and accepts the apple graciously.

'Thank you sword man.'

He munches on the apple with the hunger of an army of K'Kree, practically inhaling the apple.

'Another, perhaps?'

Dhinor can see where this is going.

'Take the bag.'

Bakleth happily munches on his apples while murmuring a ditty he remembers from his time on his home planet.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
    I've got a little list--I've got a little list
    Of regicidal murderers who might well be underground,
    And who never would be missed--who never would be missed!
    There's the pestilential nuisances who request for Moot validation--
    All people who have flabby hands and make a fratricidal insinuation
    All children who are up in dates, and floor you with 'em flat--
    All persons who in shaking hands, shake hands with you like that--
    And all third persons who on spoiling tête-à-têtes insist--
    They'd none of 'em be missed--they'd none of 'em be missed!

CHORUS.
    He's got 'em on the list--he's got 'em on the list;
    And they'll none of 'em be missed--they'll none of 'em be miss'd!

There's the Vilani Shadow Emperor, and the others of his race,
    And the wind up Emperor --I've got him on the list!
    And the K'Kree who eat vegetables and puff them in your face,
    They never would be miss'd--they never would be miss'd!
    Then the idiot who praises, with enthusiastic tone,
    All centuries but this, and every Emperor but his own;
    And the lady from the provinces, who dresses like a guy,
    And who "doesn't think she dances, but would rather like to try";
    And that singular anomaly, the Delphian economist
    I don't think she'd be missed--I'm sure she'd not he missed!

CHORUS.
    He's got her on the list--he's got her on the list;
    And he don't think she'll be missed--he's sure she won't be miss'd!

Evan looks around the room.
    "Well I guess now we know who everyone is. The pilot can't be trusted, he's quick to anger and feels a need to prove himself, he's a liability. The horse is already on the edge and it's not going to take a lot to tip him over. I know the lion" - he nods to Verne - "has a bit of a chip on his shoulder too but he knows when to shut up, and we need to trust one of them, under the circumstances I know which one I'd pick. And I presume you " - looking at Alex - "are here for the same reason I am. So, the nutters are gone and we have a circle of trust. Tell me Cas. If that is indeed your real name. What's really going on?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Jansen listens to the back and forth, but turns to Alex first.
    conor222 wrote: »
    "What should we be expecting when we get there?
    You say its been damaged and you think it might be due to illegal activity. What about this situation is making you go outside of the scout core for a retrieval mission? "

Internal: something doesn't sit right with me about this
    "Simply put you all, as a group, were the best mix of qualified and nearby. An actual working scout represents a significant investment to the imperium and hence is not as expendable. Also the ship was already a detached duty vessel, so a non-Scout crew to resume the original purpose seemed like a good fit"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Fourier wrote: »
    Jansen listens to the back and forth, but turns to Alex first.

"Simply put you all, as a group, were the best mix of qualified and nearby. An actual working scout represents a significant investment to the imperium and hence is not as expendable. Also the ship was already a detached duty vessel, so a non-Scout crew to resume the original purpose seemed like a good fit"

Being a more expendable asset, that I understand. Ok, I'm in.
    What kind of illegal activities do you think they were up to to get themselves into trouble?

He turns now to Evan
    Tell me Cas. If that is indeed your real name. What's really going on?"
    "It is my name...." he looks bewildered "....what is going on is what I have told you. A downed ship in need of recovery. The Scouts would not engage in anything clandestine without a significant increase in your pay."

Nestor, Dhinor and Bakleth are approached by a Scout technician with a docket of some sort.

"Nestor, consignment information. Consignment has already been delivered to the 'Wind-on-Stars' Far Trader under captain Tonna Dagonet. Here are your tickets for boarding. She leaves in a rotation (OOC: ~8 hours) or when all of you board, which ever is sooner."

He walks off, Nestor can see that everything she requested has been delivered, though the wine is not exactly of high quality.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Verne addresses the madman; 'Speak for yourself Sir. I believe a number of us, myself included, have useful skills that would be of benefit to the mission. I do not believe Mr Cas would assemble a random group of unskilled strangers on a whim. And as for lodging, I'm a solider, I'm used to sleeping wherever and whenever I can. I have no need of a stateroom.'
    Jansen turns to Verne.

"All of you will be boarding a Far Trader vessel under the command of a Vilani captain Tonna Dagonet, psych profiling indicates that she will get on with you more than the others. Please prevent her from interacting with Nestor much. She is possessed of minor Vilani racial supremacism and sees other humans as beneath her, especially ones so 'modified' as Nestor. Aliens, such as yourself, are exempt.

Also prevent her from inquiring too much about your mission, knowing we have possible openings in our detached duty program will lead to her requesting assignment. I don't want that."

conor222 wrote: »
    Being a more expendable asset, that I understand. Ok, I'm in.
    What kind of illegal activities do you think they were up to to get themselves into trouble?
    "Simple. Every time we sent them repair parts, they installed cheaper ones from low-grade dock companies and sold ours at a profit. This in itself is illegal. However the procured parts they installed in place of ours included circuitry necessary for simulating boarding actions. Of the kind pirates engage in.

They are currently in a prison here in the Scout base, awaiting transfer to their homeworlds, or in the case of one, the nearest proper Imperial facility. They had the gall to return here requesting we pick up the ship after their modifications caused the flight control systems to blow on probably a test pirating raid."

• Advertisement

Fourier wrote: »
    He turns now to Evan

"It is my name...." he looks bewildered "....what is going on is what I have told you. A downed ship in need of recovery. The Scouts would not engage in anything clandestine without a significant increase in your pay."

"Yes, of course."
    He taps a finger to his left ear, right eye, lower lip and the table.
    "Understood. Your terms are acceptable. And when you see Mother, remind her that she ought not listen to the weatherman until autumn rolls around."
    He nods solemnly - the point has been made - and makes to leave, turning back for a moment to add "dib dib dib" and a three fingered salute before heading to see where the cover has gone. Quartermasters, I think.

Advertisement