Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller: Life in the Marches - A ship of our own

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Banjo wrote: »
    "Understood. Your terms are acceptable. And when you see Mother, remind her that she ought not listen to the weatherman until autumn rolls around."
    Jansen looks at Alex and Verne.

"Does that make sense to either of you?"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Fourier wrote: »
    Nestor, Dhinor and Bakleth are approached by a Scout technician with a docket of some sort.

"Nestor, consignment information. Consignment has already been delivered to the 'Wind-on-Stars' Far Trader under captain Tonna Dagonet. Here are your tickets for boarding. She leaves in a rotation (OOC: ~8 hours) or when all of you board, which ever is sooner."

He walks off, Nestor can see that everything she requested has been delivered, thought the wine is not exactly of high quality.

Bakleth takes the ticket and makes his way to the ship. He needs some alone time after all this interaction with humies and meat-eaters.

Arriving at the ship he addresses the crew.

'Greetings, I am Bakleth. I trust my stable is ready? I am in need of a long sleep. The customs of some of my other ship mates disturb me greatly and I am afraid I might do something....rash.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,589 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Jansen turns to Verne.

"All of you will be boarding a Far Trader vessel under the command of a Vilani captain Tonna Dagonet, psych profiling indicates that she will get on with you more than the others. Please prevent her from interacting with Nestor much. She is possessed of minor Vilani racial supremacism and sees other humans as beneath her, especially ones so 'modified' as Nestor. Aliens, such as yourself, are exempt.

Also prevent her from inquiring too much about your mission, knowing we have possible openings in our detached duty program will lead to her requesting assignment. I don't want that."

Verne snaps to attention; 'Understood sir.' Verne notes that the captain is a female. He often gets confused about humans.
    Jansen looks at Alex and Verne.

"Does that make sense to either of you?"
    Verne looks as bewildered as Cas, 'no idea sir. I feel that this will be an interesting mission. Are we done here? I would like to get under way.' Verne stands at attention and waits for dismissal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Nestor heads to the transport to check the consignment and to get ready for departure. She retrieves the shotgun and the laser scalpel then settles down in a quiet corner where she starts to decorate the gun stock.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Dhinor grabs the rest of his gear and heads to the cargo bay to practice his form with 'The Negotiator'.

• Advertisement

Necrominus wrote: »
    'Greetings, I am Bakleth. I trust my stable is ready? I am in need of a long sleep. The customs of some of my other ship mates disturb me greatly and I am afraid I might do something....rash.'
    The human that greets Bakleth is in odd garb, at least stranger than the ones he met before, bright garish colours. He also notices there is no stench of meat from his breath, nor much of a smell of meat throughout the ship.

"Stable? Well we were surprised to meet a K'Kree that's for sure. We have something set up in the cargo hold for you."

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Verne looks as bewildered as Cas, 'no idea sir. I feel that this will be an interesting mission. Are we done here? I would like to get under way.' Verne stands at attention and waits for dismissal.
    "Yes, I believe we are, good luck."

He shakes Verne's hand.

Dhinor and Nestor are shown aboard the 'Wind-on-Stars' Far Trader, they are each given a passenger stateroom.

OOC: Deck plans of the Far Trader
    wSCRLK.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

The human that greets Bakleth is in odd garb, at least stranger than the ones he met before, bright garish colours. He also notices there is no stench of meat from his breath, nor much of a smell of meat throughout the ship.

"Stable? Well we were surprised to meet a K'Kree that's for sure. We have something set up in the cargo hold for you."

Bakleth notes no stench of meat.

'Thank you humie. I will retire now.'

He enters the ship and makes his way to his lodgings in the cargo hold, trots around in a circle a few times to get himself comfortable, then curls up and sleeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Wandering around the scout base, Evan realises he neglected to ask where the ship was berthed.
    He looks for someone in uniform and gets their attention.
    "Excuse me, insert age appropriate adjective, gender specific pronoun." Perfect opener, literally right out of the textbook. "Could you point me in the direction of the brig or holding area?"

• Advertisement

"Excuse me, insert age appropriate adjective, gender specific pronoun." Perfect opener, literally right out of the textbook. "Could you point me in the direction of the brig or holding area?"
    The port officer looks a bit confused but is happy to help.

"Yes, it's on the second floor, red wing. It'll be sign posted when you get up there"

The crewman showing Dhinor to his room inquires about the blade.

"Not many could handle a blade like that very accurately, military training?"

The crewman showing Dhinor to his room inquires about the blade.

"Not many could handle a blade like that very accurately, military training?"

Dhinor smiles in appreciation as they walk

'Navy training. They teach you to fight like your life depended on it, because it often did. Have you any training yourself? I hear your ship is a able to handle itself as well. What can you tell me about this ship and it's crew?'

Dhinor notes the crewmans curiosity. He figures it might be nothing, but trusting strangers has never come easy to him in the past.

"Yes, I believe we are, good luck."

He shakes Verne's hand.

Verne nods curtly and leaves the office in search of his new home. He strides like a man with a purpose and finds the ship easily. He takes a quick walk around the outside of the ship to ascertain it's spaceworthiness and, happy with the condition, he heads into the ship to find Captain Dagonet.

The port officer looks a bit confused but is happy to help.

"Yes, it's on the second floor, red wing. It'll be sign posted when you get up there"

Up on the 2nd floor, red wing, Evan nibbles the chocolate off the outside of a KitKat. He politely knocks on the door / desk / kiosk window and asks to speak with the wanna be pirates they have in custody.

Banjo wrote:
    Up on the 2nd floor, red wing, Evan nibbles the chocolate off the outside of a KitKat. He politely knocks on the door / desk / kiosk window and asks to speak with the wanna be pirates they have in custody.
    The station officer just shrugs.

"No reason not to let you I suppose, cell B"

As Evan approaches Cell B he can see the crew, all human, five in total. Only one is not baseline human as he is sporting a set of gills. They're currently talking to each other about finding another ship in another sector.

Verne nods curtly and leaves the office in search of his new home. He strides like a man with a purpose and finds the ship easily. He takes a quick walk around the outside of the ship to ascertain it's spaceworthiness and, happy with the condition, he heads into the ship to find Captain Dagonet.
    Dagonet is on the bridge, performing some sort of scan. She looks up when Verne approaches.

"Ah, the Aslan we were told about. Pleased to meet you. I was told to inform you of our route.

We're heading onto Mora, two subsectors away, but first we're making a stop of at 567-908, a boring world with a boring name, however, since it's just one jump from Walston, we've agreed to take you there. There's little to do on 567-908, but you're welcome to disembark there for the day we're on the planet.

So that's a week to 567-908 and then one more week to Walston."

Pter wrote: »
    'Navy training. They teach you to fight like your life depended on it, because it often did. Have you any training yourself? I hear your ship is a able to handle itself as well. What can you tell me about this ship and it's crew?'
    "Nothing too interesting. The Captain is a former Navy officer with a lot of experience. She's a bit hardcore about the Vilani being the best of the humanities, first to invent jump and all that, but she gets us fantastic jobs.

I've no military training just a mechanic, but I've repaired enough of them swords to know you need skill to handle them.

Oh here is your room..."

Dhinor's quarter's are a little bigger than a standard stateroom.

"Showers are sonic by the way, to conserve water for engine and drinking use."

"Nothing too interesting. The Captain is a former Navy officer with a lot of experience. She's a bit hardcore about the Vilani being the best of the humanities, first to invent jump and all that, but she gets us fantastic jobs.

I've no military training just a mechanic, but I've repaired enough of them swords to know you need skill to handle them.

Oh here is your room..."

Dhinor's quarter's are a little bigger than a standard stateroom.

"Showers are sonic by the way, to conserve water for engine and drinking use."

Dhinor asks the engineer for a crash course in how to repair the sword.

Nestor hefts the air-conditioning unit to her room as sets it to a balmy zero degrees. As the room chills she removes her thermo suit and luxuriates at being free again. Then she starts to decorate the wall by her bed with bright geodesic watercolours.
    "Ahhh, thats better."
    Finally comfortable and relaxed she starts to study the medical databases, noting in particular the physiology of the k'kree as his species is not one she has encountered before. The long journey ahead gives her ample time to study.
    "And I'm getting paid for this too. Nice."

• Advertisement

As Evan approaches Cell B he can see the crew, all human, five in total. Only one is not baseline human as he is sporting a set of gills. They're currently talking to each other about finding another ship in another sector.

Evan listens for a bit. If they're talking in general aspirations, he interrupts. If they're referring to a specific ship he'll note all the why's, wherefores, location etc etc before politely clearing his throat and, if gender-appropriate, saying "gentlemen..." As he approaches the bars/plasteel/energon field of the cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Alex heads towards the ship, hes not sure of what to make of this group hes been landed in. But hey, a job is a job and if it means he gets access to a ship that will open up a lot of posibilities. As long as what hes been told is reliable, this should be a fairly easy mission.

He lands to the ship and finds his quarters, empties out some of his backpack and sets about cleaning and oiling his equipment.

conor222 wrote: »
    ... oiling his equipment.
    OOC: Fnarrr!

Dagonet is on the bridge, performing some sort of scan. She looks up when Verne approaches.

"Ah, the Aslan we were told about. Pleased to meet you. I was told to inform you of our route.

We're heading onto Mora, two subsectors away, but first we're making a stop of at 567-908, a boring world with a boring name, however, since it's just one jump from Walston, we've agreed to take you there. There's little to do on 567-908, but you're welcome to disembark there for the day we're on the planet.

So that's a week to 567-908 and then one more week to Walston."

Verne is a little uncomfortable with a female captain but does his best not to let it show. He puffs his chest out in a show of strength. 'Captain Dagonet, thank you. Any reason why we're stopping on 567-908? Have all the crew arrived on board yet?'

Pter wrote: »
    Dhinor asks the engineer for a crash course in how to repair the sword.
    The engineer gives him a few ideas for how to repair the blade, although the technical details are hard to follow, Dhinor thinks he might be able to take a crack at it should the blade malfunction.

OOC: I'll now permit a repair roll should the blade break.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Nestor hefts the air-conditioning unit to her room as sets it to a balmy zero degrees. As the room chills she removes her thermo suit and luxuriates at being free again. Then she starts to decorate the wall by her bed with bright geodesic watercolours.
    "Ahhh, thats better."
    Finally comfortable and relaxed she starts to study the medical databases, noting in particular the physiology of the k'kree as his species is not one she has encountered before. The long journey ahead gives her ample time to study.
    "And I'm getting paid for this too. Nice."
    The database has an note attached to K'Kree physiology linking to Bakleth's file. Nestor can see that Bakleth suffers from a rampant anti-social disorder that the K'Kree view as a shunnable psychosis. In essence he prefers his own company sometimes and doesn't need to always be around others. Ironically the outcome is that he closely fits the psych profile of a conservative and family-oriented human.

Nestor can see the gene strands of himself and the rest of the crew, viewed abstractly he can see the extensive modifications in his own humanity to the baseline of Terran humans.

The far trader's computer picks up on her physiology and begins to play soft jungle sounds to mimic an evening on Ghost.

OOC: I'll carry this to it's conclusion tonight, as I don't want to delay you with what is essentially one conversation.
    Banjo wrote: »
    Evan listens for a bit. If they're talking in general aspirations, he interrupts. If they're referring to a specific ship he'll note all the why's, wherefores, location etc etc before politely clearing his throat and, if gender-appropriate, saying "gentlemen..." As he approaches the bars/plasteel/energon field of the cell.
    The bars are a form of plasteel and Evan listens to them speak of possibly obtaining a low quality Free Trader on some crappy Imperium world.

One of them jumps as Evan approaches, he's clearly the leader judging by how the others watch him.

"Hello? Who are you?"

OOC: A Free Trader is basically the lower-quality version of a Far Trader, jump-drive is inferior.

conor222 wrote: »
    Alex heads towards the ship, hes not sure of what to make of this group hes been landed in. But hey, a job is a job and if it means he gets access to a ship that will open up a lot of posibilities. As long as what hes been told is reliable, this should be a fairly easy mission.

He lands to the ship and finds his quarters, empties out some of his backpack and sets about cleaning and oiling his equipment.
    A young woman pops her head in Alex's quarters.

"I hope you don't mind, we're sort of sharing this section!" she points out the door from Alex's room to a cryogenic pod, or "low berth" as they say here. Alex's room is directly across from the pods.

"I know it can be a bit spooky, see you when we arrive."

The young lady climbs into the pod and presses a few buttons on the lid. The lid closes and various tubes and needles insert themselves, replacing her blood and taking over from the lungs, the net result being unconsciousness and slowed aging.

Verne is a little uncomfortable with a female captain but does his best not to let it show. He puffs his chest out in a show of strength. 'Captain Dagonet, thank you. Any reason why we're stopping on 567-908? Have all the crew arrived on board yet?'
    "We have to deliver a few food supplies to the twenty or so people living there. It's mostly coffee I think. You guys are the next delivery after that. My main job is delivering equipment to a naval base near Mora, but you will all be long gone by then.

I think, if the log is right, we're only waiting on one."

• Advertisement

OOC: I'll carry this to it's conclusion tonight, as I don't want to delay you with what is essentially one conversation.

The bars are a form of plasteel and Evan listens to them speak of possibly obtaining a low quality Free Trader on some crappy Imperium world.

One of them jumps as Evan approaches, he's clearly the leader judging by how the others watch him.

"Hello? Who are you?"

"Well, you seem to have come down a little in the world since Walston. Are they treating you well?"

Evan addresses the leader, noting any signs of augmentation, tattoos, scarring, etc.

Advertisement