Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobia still alive in modern Ireland

Options
  • 20-05-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭

I think sometimes there can be a perception that homophobia doesn't exist anymore here in this country since May 23rd 2015.

It does. The george was vandalised last night

https://lovindublin.com/news/pic-the-george-nightclub-got-horrifically-vandalised-last-night

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's a couple of scumbags that did that. Doesn't suggest that homophobia is rampant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

pilly wrote: »
    It's a couple of scumbags that did that. Doesn't suggest that homophobia is rampant.

It's homophobia nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Why are Dublin City council cleaning it? It's a private business which is trading , not an abandoned building

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I don't think anyone said there was no homophobia anymore
    And one or group of vandals shouldn't take away from the progress thats clearly been made since then
    Still sad to see. But Im honestly surprised this has never occurred before, at least to my knowledge ,or has it?

It's homophobia nonetheless.

yes , it is. but as another user pointed out it is not a sign that homophobia was nt rampant. I don't think anyones trying to dispute whether its a homophobic action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

There will always be a cross section of society that is racist or homophobic. I don't think anyone believes homophobia is dead in Ireland, same with racism, agism and numerous other things that make people different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Why are Dublin City council cleaning it? It's a private business which is trading , not an abandoned building

Probabay because it's illegal hate speech. Strange thing to be concerned about, who cleans it.

wakka12 wrote: »
    yes , it is. but as another user pointed out it is not a sign that homophobia was nt rampant. I don't think anyones trying to dispute whether its a homophobic action

I can't see any posts that claim it is 'rampant'.

I can't see any posts that claim it is 'rampant'.

I was just saying it in agreement with post 2. Lots of people's reactions around times like this is to think that homophobia /racism is rising/rampant and I think it couldn't be further from the truth in this instance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

The use of the Nazi symbol is particularly threatening.

I think sometimes there can be a perception that homophobia doesn't exist anymore here in this country since May 23rd 2015.

It does. The george was vandalised last night

https://lovindublin.com/news/pic-the-george-nightclub-got-horrifically-vandalised-last-night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Where did I say homophobia is rampant?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

gizmo81 wrote: »

This just gave me the impression that it was kids. Similar to the cars being vandalised with ISIS etc recently. They just choose controversial phrases. Kids in my school were always drawing hash leaves and swastikas. Not that it justifies it at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

No you didn't, I apologise I perhaps shouldn't have used this word.

I just don't like people to pick a random incident like that and use it to say homophobia is alive and well.

If I'm honest it will always be there no matter what changes. I would just feel it's a small minority now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

duffman13 wrote: »
    There will always be a cross section of society that is racist or homophobic. I don't think anyone believes homophobia is dead in Ireland, same with racism, agism and numerous other things that make people different.

This is it. There will always be a section of society who finds
    1. Old people
    2.disabled people
    3. Different colour skin
    4. Different sexual orientation
    5. Different religion
    6. Different political outlook
    7. Young people
    Objectionable, and feels the need to attack that group.
    It's mostly a fear that that group will in some way attack them or get power over them.
    Lots of the minorities above feel persecuted and none of them can claim to have special victim status.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

infogiver wrote: »
    This is it. There will always be a section of society who finds
    1. Old people
    2.disabled people
    3. Different colour skin
    4. Different sexual orientation
    5. Different religion
    6. Different political outlook
    7. Young people
    Objectionable, and feels the need to attack that group.
    It's mostly a fear that that group will in some way attack them or get power over them.
    Lots of the minorities above feel persecuted and none of them can claim to have special victim status.

When people are attacked specifically because of their identity they are victims.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The 80's called, they want their grafitti back :pac:

Then again, the George itself is a throwback to the 80's and is out of place in modern Ireland, so there's that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Phonicks

How did they get the text size to fit so perfectly??

Out of curiosity, why is the George out of place in 'Modern Ireland'?

The 80's called, they want their grafitti back :pac:

Then again, the George itself is a throwback to the 80's and is out of place in modern Ireland, so there's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think the Nazi symbol makes it less threatening. Someone who was actually going to do anything would use the Nazi symbol. Whoever did this was just looking to cause the most offence they could by going for shock value just to get attention or have a laugh. Clearly scumbags but clearly not a threat to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

mikemac2 wrote: »

All businesses within the city area pay into a BID fund. This in turn pays for immediate cleaning of graffiti within the area.

The council operate the cleaning service on behalf of the BID group and charge them accordingly.

• Advertisement

I believe that when Gay men were a specific target of the Nazi Regime that the use was intentional and deliberate, whether for shock or whatever thousands of gay men died looking at that symbol.

GarIT wrote: »
    I think the Nazi symbol makes it less threatening. Someone who was actually going to do anything would use the Nazi symbol. Whoever did this was just looking to cause the most offence they could by going for shock value just to get attention or have a laugh. Clearly scumbags but clearly not a threat to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Out of curiosity, why is the George out of place in 'Modern Ireland'?

Because it's a dive, that's why.

Personal opinion of the place itself, not it's patrons. Grand if you're into living what Ireland was like in the 80's, if nostalgia is your thing, but the 80's night life isn't really a thing in Ireland any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I believe that when Gay men were a specific target of the Nazi Regime that the use was intentional and deliberate, whether for shock or whatever thousands of gay men died looking at that symbol.

I completely understand your point. I don't think it was an actual Nazi or someone that supports them. There can't be more than a small few Nazis in Ireland, and I think they would be lying low, a real Nazi wouldn't be reckless enough to risk getting caught doing graffiti.

Anything is possible but I think it's much more probable that someone was **** faced and thought they could show off and give their mates a bit of a laugh.

I don't even know what this means. But thanks.

Personal opinion of the place itself, not it's patrons. Grand if you're into living what Ireland was like in the 80's, if nostalgia is your thing, but the 80's night life isn't really a thing in Ireland any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

You did say that there's a perception that homophobia doesn't exist in Ireland anymore.... couldn't think of a single person who would agree with that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Overreaction. Should be ignored.

A couple of uneducated louts seeking a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

The graffiti is so err...straight, all letters the same size and between the lines, avoiding the windows that this feels like a stunt to me.

Reminds me of the white racist in the US who painted "Blacks rule" on his own driveway to claim he was a victim of racism.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    The graffiti is so err...straight, all letters the same size and between the lines, avoiding the windows that this feels like a stunt to me.

Reminds me of the white racist in the US who painted "Blacks rule" on his own driveway to claim he was a victim of racism.
    So it was the gays wot done it? Knew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cloudio9 wrote: »

You saying trade was down and this is just to fill the pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Aw i love it :) much like I'd love supermacs or somewhere, hardly the pinnacle of fine dining but love it for what it is kinda thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement