Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobia still alive in modern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

homophobia wasn't just going to die after the referendum. this happens in all civilised countries, everywhere has "dregs of society". fact of the matter is this is quite restrained, there is gay people being chased out a certain eastern county as we speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Elemonator wrote: »
    homophobia wasn't just going to die after the referendum. this happens in all civilised countries, everywhere has "dregs of society". fact of the matter is this is quite restrained, there is gay people being chased out a certain eastern county as we speak.

Carlow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I moved to Dublin knowing no one a decade ago.

I used to go to the George by myself and sit up at the bar like a shy little hedgehog.

I met some wonderful people in there and though i haven't been in there in 2 years I still think of the friendliness of Cecil, King, Sophie, Fran, Ger and lots more I'm leaving out. I'm sure the staff are shook by this.

A building is bricks and mortar the people make it and I'm happy to say in my 20's I met some lovely people staff and customers there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

When people are attacked specifically because of their identity they are victims.

The point is, no particular group can claim to be any more victimised then any other.
    Actually my own idea is that currently elderly people living alone in rural Ireland have it pretty bad between being under threat from marauding traveller gangs and being treated like nuisances by the health service, and no one really cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭AllForIt

infogiver wrote: »
    The point is, no particular group can claim to be any more victimised then any other.
    Actually my own idea is that currently elderly people living alone in rural Ireland have it pretty bad between being under threat from marauding traveller gangs and being treated like nuisances by the health service, and no one really cares.

That's hilarious that is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

AllForIt wrote: »

Old people terrorised in their homes and put in a corner to die in the hospital is hilarious?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Bebopclown

I read that whoever did it has been caught on CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Because it's a dive, that's why.

Personal opinion of the place itself, not it's patrons. Grand if you're into living what Ireland was like in the 80's, if nostalgia is your thing, but the 80's night life isn't really a thing in Ireland any more.

It's not exactly a swanky joint but I think that's part of its appeal. No bells or whistles but there are plenty of pubs that provide that if you want. The George is a great spot regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

You saying trade was down and this is just to fill the pub?

There's just something odd about it that doesn't feel like genuine graffiti.

I was half expecting to hear a film production company clear up the confusion by saying it was being used for a film set.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

It's homophobia nonetheless.

How do you come to that conclusion. Is it your contention that any crime or act of vandalism against a person from the gay community is homophobic. While I do agree that unfortunately homophobia along with racism, ageism and a good few other ism's are indeed alive and well in Ireland I don't think it helps to shout out homophobia at every instance. Education is the way forward but that takes time as it is really only when the kids being educated grow and influence society in a positive way. Also some of the worst kind of prejudice is practised within the gay community, the so called butch type against the so call effeminate. Riyadh Khalaf hosts a very good program on the bbc iplayer regarding this, well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I know it's not nice but it's so poorly executed it almost looks like a pisstake..."homofags"?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

No one knows exactly who did this.It was apparently done at approx 6am or thereabouts according to the guy who posted the photo on twitter.
    No kids are out at that hour.
    Its also interesting and disheartening to see people coming out with such comments as "its not homophobia" or "others in society are under attack more" ect.
    Unless you are a LGBT person you have no idea how seeing something like this affects you, it is a homophobic hate crime and if and when the culprit is caught he/she should get a sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,370 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There's homophobia is the US, Italy, Spain, Germany, Russia, Austrialia, NZ ...........

Its not just Ireland.

In fact, Ireland is a lot more progressive than most Western countries when it comes to gay rights, so a bit harsh to judge the entire country due to the actions of a few scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I'm interested to know if those posting in this thread that there's "no homophobia in Ireland" anymore are gay themselves? As someone who gets called names and stared at walking down the street for my gender/ sexuality expression, and asked to leave public toilets and changing rooms fairly regularly, I'd have to disagree.

Ok so less gay bashing is happening but there's still gay kids being kicked out of the house when they come out to their parents, there's still teachers afraid to come out to their students and talk about their husband or wife, there's still lots of that happening. Just because it's not on the news like this doesn't mean it's not homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,370 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm interested to know if those posting in this thread that there's "no homophobia in Ireland" anymore are gay themselves? As someone who gets called names and stared at walking down the street for my gender/ sexuality expression, and asked to leave public toilets and changing rooms fairly regularly, I'd have to disagree.

Ok so less gay bashing is happening but there's still gay kids being kicked out of the house when they come out to their parents, there's still teachers afraid to come out to their students and talk about their husband or wife, there's still lots of that happening. Just because it's not on the news like this doesn't mean it's not homophobia.

No-one is denying that, but you are being unrealistic if you think there will be 100% acceptance across the population.

It simply isn't going to ever happen, because people are people. And every country is the same.

There will always be homophobia, racism, sexism, ageism ........

• Registered Users Posts: 24,321 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I think sometimes there can be a perception that homophobia doesn't exist anymore here in this country since May 23rd 2015.

It does. The george was vandalised last night

https://lovindublin.com/news/pic-the-george-nightclub-got-horrifically-vandalised-last-night

False premise. And maybe worse a false flag type OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

NIMAN wrote: »
    No-one is denying that, but you are being unrealistic if you think there will be 100% acceptance across the population.

It simply isn't going to ever happen, because people are people. And every country is the same.

There will always be homophobia, racism, sexism, ageism ........

I disagree. Why should we be ok with some of our population being treated unequally? "Just because"? That's not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I disagree. Why should we be ok with some of our population being treated unequally? "Just because"? That's not good enough

You don't have to be ok with it. You just can't do anything about how people feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Grey Wind

How do you come to that conclusion.
    ... Because a bunch of slurs and a swastika were drawn on a prominent gay bar? It is absolutely homophobia.

I'm not sure what the... obsession with trying to downplay homophobia is. Why, when greeted with BLATANT homophobic vandalism, do so many of you immediately jump to "oh well how do you know this was homophobia" or "yeah it's bad but homophobia isn't a problem usually/it's worse somewhere else"? What relevance do these responses have?

And for the record, yeah, homophobia absolutely exists in Ireland. Ask anybody who's gay. Or take a look at some studies. Or take a look at the lack of hate crimes laws and the fact that schools can still legally fire gay teachers.

NIMAN wrote: »
    There's homophobia is the US, Italy, Spain, Germany, Russia, Austrialia, NZ ...........

Its not just Ireland.

In fact, Ireland is a lot more progressive than most Western countries when it comes to gay rights, so a bit harsh to judge the entire country due to the actions of a few scumbags.
    "Homophobia still exists in ireland" is not judging the entire country. It's acknowledging a problem that exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So, you come onto a thread about a gay hate crime to tell us there are other minorities who have it worse than us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nobody posted that though, that was Joey who suggested that there was a perception that homophobia doesn't exist any more in this country -

I think sometimes there can be a perception that homophobia doesn't exist anymore here in this country since May 23rd 2015.

It does. The george was vandalised last night

https://lovindublin.com/news/pic-the-george-nightclub-got-horrifically-vandalised-last-night

Of course there's homophobia in Ireland, and you listed some good examples of it, but from reading the comments on the article linked by Joey, I think some people really are losing their sense of perspective in claiming this is some sort of homophobic attack and that unless a person were LGBT they wouldn't know how it feels.

It's chalk, it wipes off. It's not like anyone had a milk carton thrown at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

These incidents don't irk me half as much as all the apologists they bring out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I'm interested to know if those posting in this thread that there's "no homophobia in Ireland" anymore are gay themselves?

There are around 1.3m people living in Dublin. The odd negative incident against a LGBT person occurs. Yet we are supposed in buy into this notion that Ireland is a homophobic society because a few people a year out of 1.3m do something bad in Dublin?

Do a few isolated LGBT related incidents make Ireland a homophobic place? IMO not at all.

I feel there is a certain segment of the LGBT community who refuse to accept Ireland is in large a LGBT friendly country. They live for isolated incidents like this to confirm their bias that Ireland is not LGBT friendly...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

100% !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

I can't believe there are people here arguing this is not homophobic. One wonders what would meet the criteria.

Also won't someone think of the Syrian's

• Registered Users Posts: 24,321 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Manion wrote: »
    I can't believe there are people here arguing this is not homophobic. One wonders what would meet the criteria.

Also won't someone think of the Syrian's

Of course it's homophobic.

However does it say anything beyond there being at least one person in Dublin who is a homophobic loser?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Bebopclown

What this mean?
    Also people saying this was faked, I guess it could have been but it seems a big risky to do something like that on a busy street no matter what time it is. Maybe it was done in chalk so it could be done quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

Manion wrote: »

Of course it is homophobic. No one disputes that.

But if someone in the 1.3 m people who live in Dublin wrote the N on a wall in Town. Does that make Ireland a nation of racists? Does your neighbour making a derogatory remark mean you are of a similar mindset?

No one is disputing this is a hateful thing to say. But saying that what a single person said/wrote reflects the views of the 4.5m residents in Ireland is bizarre to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The point is, no particular group can claim to be any more victimised then any other. Actually my own idea is that currently elderly people living alone in rural Ireland have it pretty bad between being under threat from marauding traveller gangs and being treated like nuisances by the health service, and no one really cares.
    AllForIt wrote: »

Old people terrorised in their homes and put in a corner to die in the hospital is hilarious?

That is not what I meant and you know that perfectly well.

Cynically comparing minorities/demographics and evaluating which one is worse off in an attempt to show that one minority is moaning too much.

Oh yes, gays don't care about old people because they want all the sympathy attention. Risible comment by you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

But you cannot claim to know the lived experience of every gay person in Ireland.

Homophobia exists beyond the incidents that make the headlines.

Of course it is homophobic. No one disputes that.

But if someone in the 1.3 m people who live in Dublin wrote the N on a wall in Town. Does that make Ireland a nation of racists? Does your neighbour making a derogatory remark mean you are of a similar mindset?

No one is disputing this is a hateful thing to say. But saying that what a single person said/wrote reflects the views of the 4.5m residents in Ireland is bizarre to say the least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement