Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homophobia still alive in modern Ireland

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

wakka12 wrote: »
    So we can put the publicity stunt rumours to bed..

Ah no. The conspiracy theories about the nice writing are genuinely quite funny at this stage.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

A man in his 20s has been arrested in connection with the incident and is being held under the Criminal Justice Act.
    Hopefully he wont be let off with a slap on the wrist and will be punished for this hate crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ah no. The conspiracy theories about the nice writing are genuinely quite funny at this stage.

Not nearly as funny as the idea that homophobia is still alive in modern Ireland, or posters slapping the 'homophobic' label on other posters based on nothing more than their own questionable perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Not nearly as funny as the idea that homophobia is still alive in modern Ireland, or posters slapping the 'homophobic' label on other posters based on nothing more than their own questionable perception.

and off we go again

wakka12 wrote: »
    and off we go again

wakka it's grand, honestly. I wasn't going to contribute to the thread any more until I saw Joeys contribution, and if Joey doesn't take people seriously, then why should anyone be expected to take them seriously?

(Joey in their capacity as a poster, not in their capacity as a Moderator of this forum)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

One eye there is an unsubstantiated and likely fictitious comment he journal thread that the man arrested is a member of a well known political party that helped introduce gay marriage. Don't give up on your believes just yet, hold them dear. You're the real hero in this.

To the rest of you, shame on you for engaging with this troll

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You really seem to have a chip on your shoulder on this issue of homophobia.

Your perfectly right to think that the level of homophobia is nothing like it used to be, say in the 80's, when gay ppl became more visible.

One thing that is certain is that the current state of affairs is in no part attributable to people like you. Likewise nor is it because of anything the Catholic church has contributed on the issue.

The psychology of the person who defaced The George could only be done by someone who feels he has a level of support for his views and expected some kind of adulation for his actions even if that only exists in his mind.

The gay marriage referendum results clearly show that Ireland is not a homophobic county. I am personally very proud of Ireland for that result. I am also proud of Enda Kenny who is from Mayo where I'm from who approved of the referendum and endorsed a 'yes' result. Not quite so backward after all down in the bog as city types would like to think.

The point is 'does homophobia exist in Ireland'. Of course it does. Yes it's small but as long as the Catholic church describe homosexual relations as a sin then that small element of homophobia will continue to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Manion wrote: »
    One eye there is an unsubstantiated and likely fictitious comment he journal thread that the man arrested is a member of a well known political party that helped introduce gay marriage. Don't give up on your believes just yet, hold them dear. You're the real hero in this.

To the rest of you, shame on you for engaging with this troll

Well even if that were true what difference would it make? Just because you're member of a political party, doesn't mean you necessarily agree with every single one of their views
    It would be interesting and embarassing for the party probably, but no reflection on the lgbt community

AllForIt wrote: »
    You really seem to have a chip on your shoulder on this issue of homophobia.

One thing that is certain is that the current state of affairs is in no part attributable to people like you.

Sorry now Mods but this is the kind of shyte in that shouldn't stand in this forum. It doesn't stand on Boards generally, and the LGBT forum should be no exception.

I won't go off on one on you waving my e-penis about the place because I feel absolutely no need to defend myself when you throw out crap like that. Seriously, what do you know of anyone online? You know fcukall.

You're not the first person in this thread to make assumptions, three other posters have done it before you. That's exactly why when you throw out accusations of homophobia, troll, and think you know people better than you actually do, people have every right to respond by telling you that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

The thing I have a real issue with is people who throw homophobia at anyone who doesn't share their (lack of) perspective. It is absolutely as was mentioned in the article earlier used as a political tool in an attempt to silence dissent. That's why there aren't too many people can take it seriously any more. That's why incidents like the one in the OP, or like the 52% of teenagers who have experienced homophobia, will inevitably be told to cop the fcuk on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

That's why incidents like the one in the OP, or like the 52% of teenagers who have experienced homophobia, will inevitably be told to cop the fcuk on.
    go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

One Eyed Jack, if you have a problem with a post please report it. I also suggest you take a read of our charter re: soap boxing- some of your posts are getting close to that.

Likewise everyone else, please adress your comments to the post and not the poster.

I'm locking this thread because it's going around in circles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement