Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 members of family found dead in Cavan - NO SPECULATION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

rjpf1980 wrote: »
    He was a wonderful man. A wonderful man who lost his mind and killed himself and his family. It could happen to anyone.

Did you know him or something? What on earth qualifies you to say anything about the kind of person he was least of all that he was wonderful??

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rjpf1980

It really couldnt. Why is there a need to excuse his murders?

He was stone mad that's why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I believe rjpf1980 was being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,091 ✭✭✭✭Esel

He was a wonderful man. A wonderful man who lost his mind and killed himself and his family. It could happen to anyone.

Not naïve, anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

The point is Clodagh was a murder victim that has been airbrushed out of all media reports. While her husband has been lionised as a wonderful man..

Yes that is true but she was his wife, we cant change that. We dont know what happened or why he did what he did.
    I think all the media attention is on him because it seems he was a wonderful man to all who knew him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He was stone mad that's why.

When did you qualify as a psychiatrist?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I think the complete opposite. Its completely refreshing to hear what is said in that article compared to the mainstream media discourse.

Using a tragedy as a vehicle for pushing an agenda is in extremely bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,091 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jesus. wrote: »
    I believe rjpf1980 was being sarcastic.

There's a time and a place for that, and this is definitely not it. :mad:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Esel wrote: »
    Ah FFS.

Don't feed the troll is all I can say now.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Did you know him or something? What on earth qualifies you to say anything about the kind of person he was least of all that he was wonderful??

He has been described as such by everyone who knew him. The sad passing of his family was a bolt from the blue and his act of madness was completely out of character. Clearly Hawe was driven to kill by mental illness. Any right thinking and compassionate human being would find it in their heart to forgive Hawe. Clearly the family do as they are burying the family together. May Hawe his wife and his three sons rest in peace.

The hate on this thread is quite sickening and disturbing to be honest.

• Advertisement

Clearly Hawe was driven to kill by mental illness.

Why?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Perhaps when agriculture began and land had to be passed on from generation to generation and when people began to live in towns and villages and evenrually cities. When a man's wife became his property - the origin of marriage - her nakedness became his property too.
    In hunter gathering societies a man with a well developed body was a natural hunter and leader and a large penis was a sign of status perhaps the origin of phallic worship?
    When property became the status symbol the man with property was no longer ripped but pudgy and fat and ugly. He could buy a beautiful wife but would be threatened by nudity as his wife would naturally be attracted to a man with a hot body.
    If a woman was too skinny or fat had small breasts or big droopy boobs or unsightly body hair her chances of getting a husband were slim or if she expected more attractive people to obey her orders if they were in subservient positions being naked was an obvious disadvantage.
    To keep working men focused on their jobs in the fields or working a trade women were covered up.
    Homosexuality and lesbianism were not taboos for the same reason until labour gangs of men and women had to be put together to work.
    Asexual clothing in the military religious orders or among slaves eliminates personhood and sexual urges as much as possible.
    A strapping muscular young man is less likely to take orders from a pigeon chested pale short sighted geek if he is naked.
    Women with status - who came from wealthy families with property - would have to be controlled made to be ashamed to be nude made to cover up and not be mixing with men so they would pure and virginal on their wedding night.
    Until a man had money and property he could not marry and have sex with a woman unless he was married to her and women did not have sex with anyone except their husband and only for the purpose of conceiving.
    Therefore nudity became taboo.
    This how it was possible for men like Hitler or Goebbels or Himmler to give orders to millions.
    If these monsters were naked they would have looked ridiculous talking about the master race.
    Put a uniform on a runt like Napoleon and he is suddenly transformed.
    A shrewish woman like Thatcher or Hilarious suddenly commands attention and obedience when she wears a power suit.

Given your views on married women being property of man, I'm not surprised by your replies here

He has been described as such by everyone who knew him. The sad passing of his family was a bolt from the blue and his act of madness was completely out of character. Clearly Hawe was driven to kill by mental illness. Any right thinking and compassionate human being would find it in their heart to forgive Hawe. Clearly the family do as they are burying the family together. May Hawe his wife and his three sons rest in peace.

''Investigating gardaí are satisfied Mr Hawe did not suffer any mental health issues, had no contact with the Health Service Executive (HSE) and had no major financial problems''

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Any right thinking and compassionate human being would find it in their heart to forgive Hawe.

This really isn't the place for jokes.

Why?

Why do you think? The negatives voices in his head took over and led him over the abyss. We all battle dark thoughts and voices in our heads telling us we are no good and telling us to give up. The majority of us can overcome it. A minority like Hawe can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Elliott S wrote: »
    Oh would you stop. Very easy to mention her too in the statement, even briefly.

There's nothing easy about having to write a statement where five people have died, no matter how it happened. I think people need to step back a wee bit here, I don't know everything, you don't know everything, nobody does, hijacking a tragedy for petty point scoring does no one any favours, not the dead, not the grieving, not you or me.

I'm not joking.

You must forgive.

Why do you think? The negatives voices in his head took over and led him over the abyss.

Theres no evidence for your assertion just an assumption on your part. Your assumption isnt clear at all.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

You were comparing him to a sadistic psychopathic murderer who raped and slaughtered two little girls.

Hawe as I see it is a victim of mental illness. A man who was not in his right mind.

There is an entirely different level of culpability.

He is a sadistic psychopath in my view. I am sorry if what i say offends you and if you think i am being harsh then so be it. They are my views. Millions of people have intolerable and horrific mental health issues that they seek help for but what they don't do is murder innocent people. A psychopath does though.

Killing four people with a hatchet screams rage and anger to me.

• Advertisement

There's nothing easy about having to write a statement where five people have died, no matter how it happened. I think people need to step back a wee bit here, I don't know everything, you don't know everything, nobody does, hijacking a tragedy for petty point scoring does no one any favours, not the dead, not the grieving, not you or me.

I don't think anyone is point scoring by noticing that one of the victims is completely omitted. The three children were pupils, and their mothers life was taken as well. She counted too, TBM.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Killing four people with a hatchet screams rage and anger to me.

What makes a person who seems normal to everyone change in such a way? How can that happen?

He is a sadistic psychopath in my view. I am sorry if what i say offends you and if you think i am being harsh then so be it. They are my views. Millions of people have intolerable and horrific mental health issues that they seek help for but what they don't do is murder innocent people. A psychopath does though.

Clearly you don't know what a psychopath is.

Amanda.ie wrote: »
    What makes a person who seems normal to everyone change in such a way? How can that happen?

Perhaps it wasnt really a change at all. None of the media reports look at life inside the house.

Terry Pratchet

Perhaps it wasnt really a change at all.

Clearly there WAS a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Why?

Because a sane person doesn't go murdering their family.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

This is a serious question but..............why not? This is AH after all

Clearly there WAS a change.

How do you know?

Terry Pratchet

Perhaps it wasnt really a change at all.

A person cannot just flip like that but reports are he had no mental issues, can someone hide that?

• Advertisement

Amanda.ie wrote: »

Who knows. I had a sibling commit a horrific crime a few years back and we who knew him best were as shocked as anyone that he had been engaged in such activity. Sometimes the face people present is the one they want you to see. They hide themselves behind a socially acceptable mask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement