Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new built house

Options
  • 14-07-2016 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

Thought i would start a thread here for those of us who are in the process of buying a new built house. Looks to be a different experience to buying an all ready lived in home. How are people finding the process?? We are just back from viewing our house after putting down our deposit and it really is getting exciting now but a bit over whelming also. The thoughts of having to pick out what floorings to go with and where we want things to go. There is so much to think about but it will be nice to see it come together over the coming weeks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PedroDublin

Hey there

We are in the process right now, just singed contracts and trying to sort out snagging and insurances. I would say is more straight forward mainly because you don't have to worry about bidding, and also because you know you'll get the house. I have been reading a lot in the last months and a lot people have problems where sellers back out in the last minute.

On the other hand is still a nightmare of processes, papers and phone calls. I think I have never been on the phone so much in my life. While is exciting to look for the furniture you like or the floors you fancy, there are so many steps in the process that I think I will only really start getting excited about those once I am days away form moving in

Maybe I worry too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We are getting the keys to our place in about 2 weeks! Snag list happening next week :)

All I can say is that it's been way more expensive than we thought. Flooring, curtains, wardrobes, kitchen appliances, tiles etc. we could have gone cheap, but then you think you'll be replacing in 5 yrs, so if you push the boat a bit things will last 10 etc. very hard not to go for the nicest and best stuff and hold back!

I mean I even had to count the light fittings so I'd know how many bulbs to buy lol. Picking appliances is head wrecking. And picking a colour scheme that'll work every where. Most people do one room at a time but we've got to pick everything NOW.
    On the plus side our home will be completely new and shiny and I love it. Much better than buying house with a fancy new kitchen that isn't to your taste etc.

We had loads of little delays so make sure you touch base with all suppliers, and write emails to them after you meet them repeating what you talked about. Also get a very clear indication of exactly what's included in the price. You don't want to find out that there are no shower screens included or skirting boards or something else random etc.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Also get a very clear indication of exactly what's included in the price. You don't want to find out that there are no shower screens included or skirting boards or something else random etc.

Enjoy!

You mean included in the house build as part of the contract. Or just when engaging with different suppliers after you have moved in. Found getting specs and specifics on houses to be difficult.

cronos wrote: »
    You mean included in the house build as part of the contract. Or just when engaging with different suppliers after you have moved in. Found getting specs and specifics on houses to be difficult.

As part of the house build. When i spoke to my builder he told me that there was a 5k allowance on the flooring. But then when we got to specifics and paper work it turned out he just paid for the kitchen flooring ( which happened to cost 5k in the show house! ) so if you got cheap flooring he paid less, and expensive flooring, he paid more. Was just a wording confusion in the convo we had but it affected our budget planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

We are getting the keys to our place in about 2 weeks! Snag list happening next week :)

All I can say is that it's been way more expensive than we thought. Flooring, curtains, wardrobes, kitchen appliances, tiles etc. we could have gone cheap, but then you think you'll be replacing in 5 yrs, so if you push the boat a bit things will last 10 etc. very hard not to go for the nicest and best stuff and hold back!

I mean I even had to count the light fittings so I'd know how many bulbs to buy lol. Picking appliances is head wrecking. And picking a colour scheme that'll work every where. Most people do one room at a time but we've got to pick everything NOW.
    On the plus side our home will be completely new and shiny and I love it.

Much better than buying house with a fancy new kitchen that isn't to your taste etc.

We had loads of little delays so make sure you touch base with all suppliers, and write emails to them after you meet them repeating what you talked about. Also get a very clear indication of exactly what's included in the price. You don't want to find out that there are no shower screens included or skirting boards or something else random etc.

Enjoy!

Dori thanks for that message. ya we don't have to do every room straight away but ya we can see things adding up pretty quickly all right. my hubbie agree's that he doesn't want to go cheap cheap on things as we will end up replacing them down the line.

our builders are away now for two weeks after today and then we are away for a week in kerry (thank god we are at least in the same country) so alot of time being used up for our move in date. looking like we won't be in by sept now but it's grand as we have no rush with our landlord they happy for us to stay as long or as short as we need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Hey, we're in the process right now.

I haven't found it too stressful yet. The mortgage process more so but we've been approved twice with the exemption we were looking for so happy out.

Have the booking deposit down on the house. It should start being built this week. Once all the brickwork is complete we will be allowed onsite to make sure it's everything we hoped it would be (size-wise, view-wise, garden-size-wise), only then do we need to pay the balance on the deposit.

The house comes with all appliances so there'll be no stresses there. The bathrooms come tiled (although I don't know if that includes the floor tiles). The walls come painted. The only thing we'll need to pick through them is the counter top and kitchen colour. After that it's up to us to furnish and floor the place. Not looking forward to that to be honest. I think there's 3 rooms which won't need to be done immediately so might leave them. Curtains, blinds, tables, chairs, stools, light fittings, units and loads more stuff I can't recall!! Nightmare!

Apart from that I'm excited!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

On the plus side our home will be completely new and shiny and I love it. Much better than buying house with a fancy new kitchen that isn't to your taste etc.

With regards to it being expensive, I think buying any house is expensive (unless you're literally buying the show house!) My place is about 15 years old and had previously been rented so I knew I wanted to replace pretty much everything and have it deep cleaned before moving in. Think I spent about €12k before furniture, because i replaced the kitchen and all appliances, replaced the flooring throughout and had the whole place painted also. I also had some expected spend when I discovered that the french doors were leaking in the stormy weather (luckily I was able to get them adjusted rather than having to replace them) and my hot water tank also gave up about 6 weeks after we moved in so that had to be replaced too.

There was nothing new that was suitable where I wanted to buy - only new houses were big 4/5 beds costing €700kish. Hopefully next move will be to a forever home and I'd love to buy something brand new with a home bond guarentee :)

Yeah see we have 2 kids so that's 3 bedrooms that need floors and curtains and furniture etc. Even though things are included there are often loads of choice with kitchens and tiles, and sometimes for as little more money you can pick whatever you want from the show rooms! Even though we didn't pick anything crazy i still found the choice overwhelming at times!
    A new sofa, kitchen table, shed, lawn mower, washing line etc all add up! Plus we are now looking at toilet brushes , towel / toilet paper holders, etc x3! Tv unit, light fittings, stairs carpet, mirrors. Beds x2 mattres x2 sheets to fit larger beds. That's all i can think of at the moment but I'm sure the list is endless lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

A new sofa, kitchen table, shed, lawn mower, washing line etc all add up! Plus we are now looking at toilet brushes , towel / toilet paper holders, etc x3! Tv unit, light fittings, stairs carpet, mirrors. Beds x2 mattres x2 sheets to fit larger beds. That's all i can think of at the moment but I'm sure the list is endless lol!

Don't forget blinds and curtains. I completely forgot about those :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Don't forget blinds and curtains. I completely forgot about those :D

So true....Would you believe we're in the house 7 months and only just finished this now?!? We had people coming to stay and that lit a fire under me to actually get curtains for the spare rooms.

My living room has french doors that and the width I'd need in curtains was wider than any I could find in the usual stores. So I ended up spending €600 on made to measure curtains from Arnotts (and that was at a 50% discount in their January sales!)

Added to that, a lovely "quirk" of our development is that all the windows and doors open inwards, so getting blinds is basically impossible. I didnt cop the significance of this until it was far too late so I now have a bit of a make shift net curtain arrangement in the kitchen/dining room.

Owning a place is all sorts of fun!

• Advertisement

So far I've ended up spending about 5k on things we needed for the house including 1 bed, mattress, bed covers, 2 chest of drawers, cooker, table, chairs, microwave, washing machine, toilet accessories, cutlery & crockery, couch, other storage units, blinds, curtains, mirrors and about 7 big drums of paint.

Luckily for me (because I would have been goosed otherwise) my dad installed a new kitchen, bathroom, and new flooring all over the house. If I had had to pay for those I'd be on the black market seeing how much I could get for my kidneys. I wonder if there's somewhere on this forum or somewhere else on boards to show before and afters. My place looks completely different since we got the new floors and kitchen in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I bought an apartment new 10 years ago and I put in a cheapish floor with the notion that Id change it when I had more money.

The same floor is still there because the sheer hassle of having to move everything up to change it has put me off each time Ive thought about it.

So get the floor you want right from the beginning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

I've started listing things we'll need when we move from our furnished, rented place to our new home. Good standard of included appliances and downstairs flooring too.

Day 1
    Carpet - Stairs, landing and bedrooms - extra cost for third story
    Beds, Matresses, covers and the likes
    Washing Machine - the one appliance not included

Day 2 - 10
    Blinds
    Sofa
    Stools
    Alarm
    Dining lights and shades

Afterwards
    Specific tiles for kitchen walls between counter and presses
    Curtains
    Dining table & chairs
    Cabinets - living room & bathrooms
    Mirrors / pictures
    Hall table
    Fireplace surround - there's a built-in stove on a plain wall.
    Shed
    Mower - can't remember when I last cut grass.
    Plants and features
    Wi-Fi Extenders

Blinds and Alarm! we totally forgot about those and didn't know they were so expensive, we needed to add 1.5k-2k to the budget. We are going to get cheap Argos paper blinds for now till we get proper ones.

On the rest of the furniture, after shopping around we have decided to get everything from IKEA. It's not the best but is very functional, cheapish and actually doesn't look that bad. We have some desks, shelves and drawers on our rented house and some of them are quite good.

Oh the other thing to budget for is utilities! We are living with my mum while the house finishes so have none in our name a,t the moment. Lots of research and phone calls goes into finding the best price. Also if you change provider you'll need a deposit. We've also never had gas before ! Fun times ahead!

We have no spare money for bedside lockers, or storage in the sitting room at the moment. Bare basics here! Will be a good few weeks til we have flooring upstairs also.

Also our windows are 100 inches wide. Too wide for cheap blinds :(. Will have to be custom expensive ones! Don't want to flash the neighbours lol!

Oh the other thing to budget for is utilities! We are living with my mum while the house finishes so have none in our name a,t the moment. Lots of research and phone calls goes into finding the best price. Also if you change provider you'll need a deposit. We've also never had gas before ! Fun times ahead!

We have no spare money for bedside lockers, or storage in the sitting room at the moment. Bare basics here! Will be a good few weeks til we have flooring upstairs also.

Also our windows are 100 inches wide. Too wide for cheap blinds :(. Will have to be custom expensive ones! Don't want to flash the neighbours lol!

Have a look in Harry Corry. I picked up a large blind in there.

Adverts is another great place to get things like bed side lockers (for spare rooms)

i want to go to ikea to get things like sweeping brush, toilet brushes etc.

think we will wait till we are in the house to get the light fittings. they are def under the catagory of not important.

i have our buider's email address now so will def be on to them again when they get back from hols in 2 weeks as they never sent us on the dimensions to the rooms before they left.

also one thing i found tough getting my head around is which bin company to go with. we have always rented so never had to deal with it. i had to ring my bro in the end who is also in dub to try and explain it to me as google weren't explaining anything to me.

we got to order in our kitchen today. Took us 2 hours to go through everthing. We are seriously happy with everything. One or two things to get back to them on but other than that he said it should be delievered by the end of Aug so happy days :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rickydune

hey there, in the process of buying or at least debating the process with my OH :), just wondering what the time line look like as almost all of these are new builds . The 1st step then is the booking deposit c.a. 5K , then the 1st installment 20K then the close of the deal. So the question are as follows
    1) Start to finish whats people experience from a timing perspective deposit to the 2nd installment how long does it take ?
    2) When do you start repaying the mortgage is if at the the 2nd installment or when all works are completed and the house is ready to move in ?
    3) And how long does this finish take ?
    Thanks

rickydune wrote: »
    hey there, in the process of buying or at least debating the process with my OH :), just wondering what the time line look like as almost all of these are new builds . The 1st step then is the booking deposit c.a. 5K , then the 1st installment 20K then the close of the deal. So the question are as follows
    1) Start to finish whats people experience from a timing perspective deposit to the 2nd installment how long does it take ?
    2) When do you start repaying the mortgage is if at the the 2nd installment or when all works are completed and the house is ready to move in ?
    3) And how long does this finish take ?
    Thanks

Hi Ricky

From paying the initial 5k to pay the second installment is usually three weeks. You need an offer letter from the bank, different from approved in principle, and getting this could delay the process.

If the house is already completed, from second installment to close around three to four weeks. On their side they would have to finish the house(complete the snag), on your side you would need home insurance, life insurance, and get your solicitor to request the money. Life insurance can be a pain, and it can take up to a month to get it sorted if you have something to disclose, once you request the funds the bank could ask more questions which could again delay the process one or two more weeks.

• Advertisement

good bit of info there pedro thanks for that. we are at the stage where our soilictors have our contracts and are reading over them. they have had them since thur evening. really hoping we get to sign them before we go on hols next week.

we have nothing ourselves to disclose to bout our health but both our families would have a history of serious illnesses. so not sure if that may slow us down or not.

we are meeting with our life insurance guy in 2 weeks. not sure what to expect from the meeting really. Any tips what kinda stuff we may need to have on us or what info we need to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rickydune

hi there Mollybird bird how long did it take to go from booking deposit to second installment

rickydune wrote: »
    hi there Mollybird bird how long did it take to go from booking deposit to second installment

hey ricky. it's been 2 and a half weeks since we paid the deposit. we are supposed to pay the next chunk when we sign the contracts. hoping it will be this week. which would make it 3 weeks.

mollybird wrote: »
    good bit of info there pedro thanks for that. we are at the stage where our soilictors have our contracts and are reading over them. they have had them since thur evening. really hoping we get to sign them before we go on hols next week.

we have nothing ourselves to disclose to bout our health but both our families would have a history of serious illnesses. so not sure if that may slow us down or not.

we are meeting with our life insurance guy in 2 weeks. not sure what to expect from the meeting really. Any tips what kinda stuff we may need to have on us or what info we need to know?
    Hey mollybird, í wouldn't wait that long, check with another insurer if possible. If you have nothing to disclose it shouldn't be more than the interview, they ask you for every possible problem you have or have had in the last few years. My girlfriend has cholesterol, nothing serious and at a very low level, but she had to take test which took two weeks for the appointment, then the nurse asked a couple of questions more, and we got more questionnaires to fill.....we started the process a month ago and hopefully just sorting it out this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

If you're not skimping on things and buying quality its going to cost you a lot.

So far:

€2.5k on improved kitchen/tiling/shower
    €1K just for the blinds today.
    €850 for the fridge
    €100 for paint, changed the living room
    €220 for Kitchen bar stools

I havnt even started the flooring and furniture.

Carpets need to be quality you're talking 2-3k easy. I havnt a clue about wood/laminate flooring.

Bedding the frames alone look to be in the region of €500. I've yet to look at the mattress but I know it'll cost a good bit too

Corner Sofas between 1k-2.5k depending.

In total I'm expecting between 20-30k and I'll have a nice home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Get onto Adverts and buy a good quality set. They will be perfect for the first year while you spend your money on the bigger things. Then you can sell them again next year when you have the few bob to buy exactly what you want!

I'll do you a good deal on the lockers I have on adverts :p
    Irish_rat wrote: »
    If you're not skimping on things and buying quality its going to cost you a lot.

€2.5k on improved kitchen/tiling/shower
    €1K just for the blinds today.
    €850 for the fridge
    €100 for paint, changed the living room
    €220 for Kitchen bar stools

I havnt even started the flooring and furniture.

Carpets need to be quality you're talking 2-3k easy. I havnt a clue about wood/laminate flooring.

Bedding the frames alone look to be in the region of €500. I've yet to look at the mattress but I know it'll cost a good bit too

In total I'm expecting between 20-30k and I'll have a nice home.

Ive got to agree with this. to some extent.
    Be careful what you buy and then be careful with what you buy!

We bought a built in dishwasher in Power city in 2006. We had just sold the apartment an bought the house, so we bought the cheapest dishwasher they had. It was like €200! But we looked after it, and I still have it in the kitchen to this day, in fact its on as we speak! Ive had to replace the pump once though, that was €70.

Also, we bought a large corner sofa and foot stool in Harvey Norman for 2.5k! We looked after it, and its still brand new looking now.

other things will come and go. Save money and get built in wardrobes as soon as you can afford would be my advice.

We got venation blinds from some place in malahide, cost us 1k :eek: but in fairness, there still there today. need to be dusted every few weeks though!

Bathroom finishes, it sounds silly, but be careful with the sinks, toilets etc, we have not even had to replace a toilet seat in the 10 years we are here, and 5 of those are with children.

We bought a Dyson hoover in Tesco Clearwater when on sale in 2006 also, again, just simply looking after it and not throwing it around, still perfect today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Just wondering how much extra will it roughly cost to underlay and install a carpet per Sq yard?

I've seen a few nice carpets priced at €27 yrd'2

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

We bought a new build house in May.

We were offered a choice of houses in the estate including the showhouse.
    The showhouse was 10k dearer than an empty house, but we weighed it all up like people are doing in this post and soon realised that 10k wouldn't go to far if we had to buy flooring/blinds/beds/mattresses/kitchen table/mirrors/light fittings etc. So we went for the showhouse.

Id highly recommend it if the option is there for anybody. We have been in the house 2 months now and it looks like we have been there for a year or two, Plus we have sold the bits and pieces of furniture that we didn't need or like recouping 2K of the extra 10k (although the wife has easily spent this and more :-) ).

Another advantage is that the extra cost of the showhouse can be absorbed into the mortgage, allowing us to use more of our savings as a deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Roddylarge wrote: »
    Id highly recommend it if the option is there for anybody.

The showhouse isn't built for our house type (semi d). There is one there for a detached version, it's 35k more expensive than the empty house :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Was down at our new place this morning. Kitchen tiles going in, snag list being rectified! Place looks amazing we are so pleased.
    Appliances arrive tomorrow, final snag this Friday and hopefully keys next week!

Also fyi the most boring thing to shop for is carpets.....

Advertisement