Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new built house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Haven't heard of it lately but I know people pre-recession who negotiated a lower price based on taking a builders finish house rather then one with a kitchen etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Haven't heard of it lately but I know people pre-recession who negotiated a lower price based on taking a builders finish house rather then one with a kitchen etc.

Very hard to do now with large developments and the new BCAR Regulations and Assigned Certifier sign off. On a one off build, this can be done, but not on a multi unit development which requires completion certs from the LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭janus83

Arbie wrote: »
    VAT of 13.5% is the main reason (e.g. a new build listed on PPR for €100,000 actually costs €113,500). Some houses have changes made also or have extras that may not be obvious or visible. I know people who were charged more for larger garden, extra car park space, side gate, etc.

I wonder does some social housing also go for less?

ya, I'd factored in the VAT and this definitely explains some of them (as per post) but not all. Good point about the garden/car park spaces etc I hadn't thought of that. I guess I was mainly wondering about ones which were seemign to be cheaper than asking price though rather than more expensive. Main reason I'd been comparing was I thought a couple looked cheaper than what we'd paid in our development, even factoring in the local in the development as prices vary on a particular house type according to location. Was just curious, looks like more going on in background so maybe no point me worrying over it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

We should be getting keys next week :)

There's a lot of organising for a new house! Floors, carpets, bins, TV aerials, phone line installation! Very busy few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Eshal

Hi all
    It seems that you all have good experience for buying new built house. I will definitely go through the all the chat as I have gone through some of the msgs they are quite helpful. I need a advice from you as I am first time buyer and I wanted to buy a 3 bed semi detached house but is unavailable instead I have been told that there is one left 3 bed end of terrace house which will be ready to move in by feb/march and they will be lauching some more semi detached houses but they will be ready to move in by sept or may b little bit late. We wanted a house in which we can move as soon as possible as we are tired of our landlord behaviour. She is not cooperative at all. My question is what you ppl will suggest about end of terrace house. Is it good to go for it or we should wait for other semi detached houses to be lauched. Is there really a big difference between them? And also 3 bed semi detached house is 119sqm and end of terrace is 110 sq m. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

[font=arial, sans-serif]Just a word of warning to others out there buying a newly built home - I had my snaglist done last week, the engineer found 185 defects & my next door neighbour's engineer only found 10 defects - all work completed by the same trades people / builder on the two homes. Amazing how engineers differ so much so i would be careful about who you select.[/font]

Eshal wrote: »
    Hi all
    It seems that you all have good experience for buying new built house. I will definitely go through the all the chat as I have gone through some of the msgs they are quite helpful. I need a advice from you as I am first time buyer and I wanted to buy a 3 bed semi detached house but is unavailable instead I have been told that there is one left 3 bed end of terrace house which will be ready to move in by feb/march and they will be lauching some more semi detached houses but they will be ready to move in by sept or may b little bit late. We wanted a house in which we can move as soon as possible as we are tired of our landlord behaviour. She is not cooperative at all. My question is what you ppl will suggest about end of terrace house. Is it good to go for it or we should wait for other semi detached houses to be lauched. Is there really a big difference between them? And also 3 bed semi detached house is 119sqm and end of terrace is 110 sq m. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

Which is the better orientation and location?
    Which is the better layout?
    Why do you want a semi-d? (Eg side entrance to garden) Does the end of terrace have that?
    Are you at the top of your budget as the next phase will likely cost more then this phase.

Which is the better orientation and location?
    Which is the better layout?
    Why do you want a semi-d? (Eg side entrance to garden) Does the end of terrace have that?
    Are you at the top of your budget as the next phase will likely cost more then this phase.

End of terrace garden is south facing and today they told me that there is one semi detached house available and its garden is north facing.
    The lay out is same for both but semi detached house is little bit bigger 119 sq m than end of terrace that is 110 sq m. Both have side entrance to the garden. Frankly speaking, we would not be able to buy in the next phase if the price increases. I just got confused between the two. Many thanks

Cheapo wrote: »
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Just a word of warning to others out there buying a newly built home - I had my snaglist done last week, the engineer found 185 defects & my next door neighbour's engineer only found 10 defects - all work completed by the same trades people / builder on the two homes. Amazing how engineers differ so much so i would be careful about who you select.[/font]

Hi. Could you please pm me number of your engineer for snaglist? Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can you post up some of the items found?

I'm just trying to work out if serious or not and I can check previous snags I done to compare.

• Advertisement

Hi. Could you please pm me number of your engineer for snaglist? Thanks

Pm sent

MaggyB wrote: »
    Would you mind sending me the name of the engineer you used? We are looking for a snagger in Dublin!

Thanks!

PM sent

kceire wrote: »
    Can you post up some of the items found?

I'm just trying to work out if serious or not and I can check previous snags I done to compare.

Sure - here is a sample from the report - i have just cut and past from random areas of the report.. hope this helps..

1) Chip in top LHS window cill at LHS corner.
    2) Chip in the bellcast at the RHS of the door.
    3) Service box is crooked.
    11) Cracks in the rear retaining wall & signs of water leakage from the neighbouring property could be a cause for concern.
    12) Fill / seal the open pipe which encases the oil burner fuel pipe.
    2) Paint splashes on the front door, clean the door & frame.
    3) Skirting board at the hinge side of the door is missing.
    4) Fill the holes at the LHS stop bead on the door to the Den.
    5) Repair grout at the RHS of door to the Den
    3) RHS & top of the architrave are not painted. Both edges need caulking.
    4) Radiator feed pipes are badly finished around the wall. The pipe casing has not been recessed in the wall & filled properly.
    5) The wall behind & under the radiator has not been painted & has a hole close to the skirting board.
    6) The socket at the TV point is loose & has not been fitted level.
    7) Socket at the front wall is loose & is not fitted level.
    8) Signs of the window protection tape showing at the window & reveal junctions.
    9) Plaster left on the underside of the window boards & the underside has not been painted.
    11) Fill the holes in the wall at the feed pipes for the washing machine.
    12) Mushroom fixing showing on the wall under the worktop.
    13) Smell from the waste pipe. Possibly due to no water in the trap.
    14) Top of the architrave is not painted.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Open to receiving a PM for a good snagger too please. Hoping to collect keys next weekend, snags will have to be retrospective.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

Hi all

We bought the end of terrace in our estate! Like you it was the last remaining until
    The next phase and had a south facing back garden.

The specs were exactly the same except the finish of the external walls (which ours matched the 4 bed semi d and was nicer imo) and the fact there was another house in the middle connecting 3 together instead of 2! Size, finish etc same as the semi D and best of all, 5k cheaper than the semi d!

As we were the last to move in from those that bought in that phase it wasn't long until the prices for the next phase were released and they were 12500 more than what we paid! 6 months in and the same house we bought is now 25000 more than we paid so not a chance we'd have afforded it!!

If the smaller size doesn't impact you and for the most part the house is the same spec I say go for it, could be that little bit cheaper for practically the same house like ours!! Best of luck!

PS I love my south facing back garden and there are no houses out the back of mine so were not overlooked, it was fab in the summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ifaour

Could you please PM your engineer's contacts?

ifaour wrote: »

Could you please PM your engineer's contacts?
    PM sent

al_E_kat wrote: »
    We bought the end of terrace in our estate! Like you it was the last remaining until
    The next phase and had a south facing back garden.

The specs were exactly the same except the finish of the external walls (which ours matched the 4 bed semi d and was nicer imo) and the fact there was another house in the middle connecting 3 together instead of 2! Size, finish etc same as the semi D and best of all, 5k cheaper than the semi d!

As we were the last to move in from those that bought in that phase it wasn't long until the prices for the next phase were released and they were 12500 more than what we paid! 6 months in and the same house we bought is now 25000 more than we paid so not a chance we'd have afforded it!!

If the smaller size doesn't impact you and for the most part the house is the same spec I say go for it, could be that little bit cheaper for practically the same house like ours!! Best of luck!

PS I love my south facing back garden and there are no houses out the back of mine so were not overlooked, it was fab in the summer!!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We have booked that end of terrace house and hopefully this will be a good decision as yours. And yes I agree they keep on increasing the prices that is why we booked that otherwise would be difficult to buy. Thanks once again 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dotsy04

Could I please have the details of your snagger too? Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Beckyl

Great thread, found some useful tips! We're hoping to snag before Christmas. Any recommendations for snaggers by PM would be very appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 crogerso

Hi all, does anyone know how long it generally takes to get contracts after booking deposit has been paid?
    Is there a general timeline or does it vary a lot?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

crogerso wrote: »
    Hi all, does anyone know how long it generally takes to get contracts after booking deposit has been paid?
    Is there a general timeline or does it vary a lot?
    Thanks

About 2-3 weeks I think

Irish_rat wrote: »
    About 2-3 weeks I think

OK and when with a new build house would it be expected to sign the contracts and pay the remainder of the contract deposit?
    Looking to buy a house that is to be released soon but has not yet started construction and I am wondering if we would be expected to sign contracts and hand over the remaining deposit (which I think is non-refundable) before the house is built? Where would we stand with regards to doing a snag list and things like that?
    Thanks

The estate agent should tell you. For us it was sale agreed, booking deposit within 3 days (5k), contracts arrived about two weeks later. A further €15k and contracts signed were due within 21 days, in reality it was 6 weeks, but Christmas was in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

crogerso wrote: »
    OK and when with a new build house would it be expected to sign the contracts and pay the remainder of the contract deposit?
    Looking to buy a house that is to be released soon but has not yet started construction and I am wondering if we would be expected to sign contracts and hand over the remaining deposit (which I think is non-refundable) before the house is built? Where would we stand with regards to doing a snag list and things like that?
    Thanks

Keep in contact with your solicitor. My solicitor got the contracts but I didn't bother signing it for ages then the vendors solicitor told mine to get it sorted as construction was about to start.

I was the same as you, didn't want to hand over my money until blocks were laid but I signed before the foundation went down in the end.

Snags are at the end I wouldn't be worrying about that right now. Is it semi d? Are you making any mods?

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Keep in contact with your solicitor. My solicitor got the contracts but I didn't bother signing it for ages then the vendors solicitor told mine to get it sorted as construction was about to start.

I was the same as you, didn't want to hand over my money until blocks were laid but I signed before the foundation went down in the end.

Snags are at the end I wouldn't be worrying about that right now. Is it semi d? Are you making any mods?

Ok that's good to know thanks.
    It is a semi d but don't plan on making any mods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Hello everyone, Just wondering if anyone is using this site outside of Dublin!
    If you are buying a new build in Limerick, Cork, Galway, Tipperary, Waterford etc Lets hear your experiences - good or bad! Also anyone self building outside of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 38 sharkufc

Hi all, I am interested in buying a house in Dublin.
    Recently I saw ads for Alderlie, Abbot's Grove and Silken Park whose constructions seem pretty well done.
    I have just a couple of question for you:
    - is this a good historical period to buy? (considering the prices etc)
    - is there a rough guideline to follow for €/sq.mt?
    - when they show you the pictures with houses furnished, it means that the price includes all the furnitures (bed, kitchen etc)?
    - what are the expenses I should consider around the price of the house (agent? solicitor? other?) and roughly how much should I consider?
    - any other suggestions?

I will ask for a mortgage, and I was looking for new houses in nice places and well connected to the city centre, so if you have suggestions also about the area is very appreciated!

Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sphinx's

So I'm a newbie to the property game and a First Time Buyer in Dublin. I've my eye on a few new developments in North Dublin.

I've seen all the hype lately on the queueing for properties in Portmarnock here.

I'm curious as to what the process is like; when they are released is it first come first served; do you go in one by one and pick which property you want from a set of plans and show mortgage approval etc.? Is it essentially a fight to the death? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 NM123

Can anyone advise the best way to get in touch with the foreman of a new site? I was wondering if you want to talk to builder directly about any modifications etc what is the best way to do this, do you just go to the site and ask to speak to foreman or what is the process? Thanks

Advertisement