Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new built house

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Estate agent should know who it is. Otherwise, yeah just go down and ask anyone working there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

sharkufc wrote: »
    Hi all, I am interested in buying a house in Dublin.
    Recently I saw ads for Alderlie, Abbot's Grove and Silken Park whose constructions seem pretty well done.
    I have just a couple of question for you:
    - is this a good historical period to buy? (considering the prices etc)
    - is there a rough guideline to follow for €/sq.mt?
    - when they show you the pictures with houses furnished, it means that the price includes all the furnitures (bed, kitchen etc)?
    - what are the expenses I should consider around the price of the house (agent? solicitor? other?) and roughly how much should I consider?
    - any other suggestions?

I will ask for a mortgage, and I was looking for new houses in nice places and well connected to the city centre, so if you have suggestions also about the area is very appreciated!

Thank you!!!
    Most of your questions are very subjective so really only up to what you can afford and what you want it a house. With regards the furniture, no, new homes will be completely empty unless specified. The show home may be sold with the furnishings. Some new developments have things like floors, kitchens included, but varies site by site

Sphinx's wrote: »
    So I'm a newbie to the property game and a First Time Buyer in Dublin. I've my eye on a few new developments in North Dublin.

I've seen all the hype lately on the queueing for properties in Portmarnock here.

I'm curious as to what the process is like; when they are released is it first come first served; do you go in one by one and pick which property you want from a set of plans and show mortgage approval etc.? Is it essentially a fight to the death? :confused:
    If you like a development, register your interest with the estate agents. Most estate agents have preview nights with registered buyers in advance of the first advertised viewing.
    Once you get there, you can pick your house and generally have a few days to get s booking deposit paid (bout €10k, usually just enough time to make a bank transfer). If you change your mind, you get this back.
    After that you go through the mortgage approval steps. Again, if you don't get mortgage approval, you get the €10k back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sphinx's

Shedite27 wrote: »
    If you like a development, register your interest with the estate agents. Most estate agents have preview nights with registered buyers in advance of the first advertised viewing.
    Once you get there, you can pick your house and generally have a few days to get s booking deposit paid (bout €10k, usually just enough time to make a bank transfer). If you change your mind, you get this back.
    After that you go through the mortgage approval steps. Again, if you don't get mortgage approval, you get the €10k back.

Thanks Shedite27 - I've registered interest but the agents are not too forthcoming with details and not too friendly on the phone! I've registered for a few recently and some which have been released and have yet to hear of these preview nights.

My fear is with this comeback craze of queuing; estate agents are rushing people into making decisions. I'm interested to know if no preview night happens do you rock up on the day of release to put down deposit on whatever house is remaining within a few minutes as you are afraid it will be taken by someone else! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dearg81

NM123 wrote:
    Can anyone advise the best way to get in touch with the foreman of a new site? I was wondering if you want to talk to builder directly about any modifications etc what is the best way to do this, do you just go to the site and ask to speak to foreman or what is the process? Thanks

I just went down to the site. It's good to build up a good face to face relationship with the foreman as you want to keep him onside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I'm interested to know if no preview night happens do you rock up on the day of release to put down deposit on whatever house is remaining within a few minutes as you are afraid it will be taken by someone else! :(

Looking at recent launches, rocking up on the day would result in finding there's a queue of people ahead of you who have been queuing overnight or even days before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

irlrobins wrote: »
    Looking at recent launches, rocking up on the day would result in finding there's a queue of people ahead of you who have been queuing overnight or even days before.

May I ask where did you experience that? Which estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

My fear is with this comeback craze of queuing; estate agents are rushing people into making decisions. I'm interested to know if no preview night happens do you rock up on the day of release to put down deposit on whatever house is remaining within a few minutes as you are afraid it will be taken by someone else! :(

The estate agents would love you to feel pressured and panicked but if you're prepared there's no reason to be.

First if you're interested in a new development then do your research now, well in advance of launch. Read the planning permission, read the local area plan, visit the general area, work out your commute, mull the details in your head.

Consider your priorities like, house type, aspect (sun in the house or in the garden?), price, proximity to the bus stop etc. And identify your preferred houses and set a max for them. Prioritise 1:whatever in terms of favourites.

Basically make your decision in advance.

Then in the day know that your €5k deposit means essentially nothing. It's fully refundable and you can pull out at any point until you sign contracts which will be at least 3 weeks later. Use those three weeks to really go over the show house and reflect on your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PaddyONeill

Cheapo wrote: »
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Just a word of warning to others out there buying a newly built home - I had my snaglist done last week, the engineer found 185 defects & my next door neighbour's engineer only found 10 defects - all work completed by the same trades people / builder on the two homes. Amazing how engineers differ so much so i would be careful about who you select.[/font]

@Cheapo Could you send on the engineers details that you used please Cheapo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

@Cheapo, I'd be interested too please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

@cheapo I would love the engineers details too please.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

All I can say is that it's been way more expensive than we thought. Flooring, curtains, wardrobes, kitchen appliances, tiles etc. we could have gone cheap, but then you think you'll be replacing in 5 yrs, so if you push the boat a bit things will last 10 etc. very hard not to go for the nicest and best stuff and hold back!

Have my house new for almost a couple of decades now and what I'll say is that the stuff we didn't get at the start still isn't there e.g. kitchen blind but no curtains. I spent extra getting an oven with a timer that has paid for itself in usefulness for years.

Some stuff had to get replaced - the cheap lino made way for tiles once there was enough holes but the stuff we paid extra money for has stood the test of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Sphinx's

@Cheapo - can you forward the details for the engineer that performed your snaglist?

Or anyone else that could recommend a good snag engineer?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 copea2

@Cheapo - Also looking for the Engineers details if you can send them on? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Eoinconway

many months later but I've been reading this thread and found it wonderful, I'm just in the process of closing
    on a new build. I'd be very grateful for.anyone who sees this and was impressed by their their snagger, if they would PM me details

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Hey all. Question about flooring in a new build.

I'm buying a new build in Clane and only tiling in the kitchen and bathrooms are included. I have to get carpets/wooden floors elsewhere myself. Do you usually do this before or after snagging? I want to get it all done as early as possible, so that when I close the house is ready to move into, but I'm not sure what the process is.

Thanks

conf101 wrote: »

I'm buying a new build in Clane and only tiling in the kitchen and bathrooms are included. I have to get carpets/wooden floors elsewhere myself. Do you usually do this before or after snagging? I want to get it all done as early as possible, so that when I close the house is ready to move into, but I'm not sure what the process is.

Thanks
    We were same, moved in without the carpets (ie after snagging), try not to buy too much before the floors arrive obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

We were same, moved in without the carpets (ie after snagging), try not to buy too much before the floors arrive obviously

We couldn't do anything until after closing. Moved in after carpets installed. Still waiting for concrete to dry to install Amtico in kitchen. Shower stalls weren't included either. We had a bath though so could move in while waiting for tiler. Use the guys on site for speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Thanks guys. Had really hoped to be able to get it all done before moving in, but maybe it'll have to wait until after snagging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭al_E_kat

conf101 wrote: »

Thanks

We were allowed have ours done just before we closed, like 2 days beforehand, talk to the builder you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 summerplans

I have the name of a great snagger if anyone needs a recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

And the blinds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Maisie789

Is it normal for the contracts to be delayed? We paid our deposit but DNG just came back to everyone confirming contracts will be delayed for a few weeks due to some small things builders need to sort..

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Maisie789 wrote: »
    Is it normal for the contracts to be delayed? We paid our deposit but DNG just came back to everyone confirming contracts will be delayed for a few weeks due to some small things builders need to sort..

It happened to us. Maybe ask for some more details to put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Maisie789 wrote: »

My story -
    Put deposit down around this time last year. EA at the time was estimating houses would be completed in April (2017).
    Contracts weren't signed until July! (6 months after I'd originally been told).
    Current date set for snagging is the end of January (and I'll believe it when I see it).
    Once that's done and we've actually completed, I want to get the floors done before I move stuff in, and it can take a while to get people lined up to measure and fit floors. I suspect I'll be moving in sometime around March or April :)

Sometimes you can be lucky, but in general, count on delay after delay after delay. I'm extremely lucky in that there's no pressure on me (sold my last place and moved in with family for a while). Biggest issue for me is that my mortgage approval has already expired at this stage, so I need to reapply. I don't think there'll be any problem, but it's a PITA printing out all the up to date bank statements etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hughesa

Having trouble finding a snagger, would greatly appreciate any recommendations for the south Dublin area. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tuhula

Hi hughesa, we used <snip> .. we did the first snag with them and the second/final snag ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

hughesa wrote: »
    Having trouble finding a snagger, would greatly appreciate any recommendations for the south Dublin area. Thanks

pm'ed you with details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Hi All,
    Is it common for an EA to ask for proof of full purchase price funds before accepting a booking deposit?
    Thanks

Advertisement