Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir rural FTTH thread

• 25-09-2015 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

I made this thread for people on eir rural blue line FTTH please keep here and don't post in Eircom FTTH 66 towns 1 Gb thread about rural FTTH rollout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭degsie

Who's eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

degsie wrote: »
    Who's eircom?
    Ha ha yea they need to update that threads name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭John mac

According to eir website i will be getting ftth by dec 2015.

363754.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The map shows them going far further out rural towns for their 2017-2020 rollout than I'd have thought they'd have gone.

Varik wrote: »
    The map shows them going far further out rural towns for their 2017-2020 rollout than I'd have thought they'd have gone.
    yea me to didn't expect to be on there FTTH roll out since they only said the areas in the annoucement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Link to map?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

John mac wrote: »

363754.JPG

Are you sure that isn't FTTC?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,833 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

GOLDEN in County Tipperary

eircom's FTTH 2016-2020 rollout programme with speeds up to 1Gb/s includes premises in this exchange area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

363754.JPG

I find it difficult to believe they will do any of the blue lines this year.

I hope the check is right ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

363754.JPG
    This is what i get.....

daA1D3g.png

I get FTTC already which is Eir Fibre. The FTTH is Eir Fibre Extreme.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Are you sure that isn't FTTC?

yup this is what i get when i look for that .
    363788.JPG

Im Not really expecting to have it this year , it would be a nice surprise though ,

yup this is what i get when i look for that .
    363788.JPG
    I don't think you area reading the posts here. Eir Fibre is FTTC. Eir Fibre Extreme is FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

So a little blue line outside my house means FTTC ?

long_b wrote: »
    So a little blue line outside my house means FTTC ?

No, it means they intend providing FTTH on that line.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the blue lines are part of the rural FTTH routes (tho quite a few of them run into urban areas). None of them are being started till 2017.

The FTTH that's being slowly rolled out to 66 towns between now and 2017 is an urban scheme where they upgrading people who already mostly have FTTC. These towns will be looked after first before the blue lines get going in 2017.

KOR101 wrote: »
    I don't think you area reading the posts here. Eir Fibre is FTTC. Eir Fibre Extreme is FTTH.

yea i know, thats why i posted the two results , the first being the result for FTTH , the second being FTTC .

eir would want to tell the truth if its going to be 2017 before they start on the blue lines.:)

fibreprice.png

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

So when FTTH gets here these are the charges apparently.

IIUC the first lot is the broadband charge when it is part of a bundle, and the second lot when there is no bundle involved.

So, essentially the second lot of prices is what I would expect to pay.

By my reckoning the 100Mb/s FTTH charge is roughly equivalent to my present 'unlimited' ADSL connection.

I have some doubts also, as it might appear that it is only the 'extreme' entries are FTTH and the others are FTTC.

Some clarification is called for I think.

For those wondering about the 'unlimited' usage, I believe this is subject to a 'fair usage' cap of 1TB.

I could be misinterpreting the above and if so would welcome a correction.

EDIT:

It does seem that there are only three FTTH prices for standalone broadband .....

€50/€58/€70 for 150/300/1000 Mb/s

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

by the time we eventually get FTTH I suspect the prices, caps/fair-usage policy and even speeds will be different. The internet and how we use it/how much is needed to use it will have changed alot by 2020.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    by the time we eventually get FTTH I suspect the prices, caps/fair-usage policy and even speeds will be different. The internet and how we use it/how much is needed to use it will have changed alot by 2020.

:D

Oh don't be so pessimistic

:D

this rural network is gonna take a good 5 years to build!
    if you zoom all the way out of the map and see how extensive it is, it really does take in almost every town and village in the country with a good 2-5km radius of fibre spiraling in all directions away from town/village centers along the roads.

Eir have the starting year as 2017 for rural fibre routes, just wish they'd start it alot sooner! Would love to see another update on the map soon with the blue lines taking on different colours to show how soon they will start each section/line of fibre.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eir have the starting year as 2017 for rural fibre routes, just wish they'd start it alot sooner! Would love to see another update on the map soon with the blue lines taking on different colours to show how soon they will start each section/line of fibre.

Well remember that they are still working on the FTTC rollout, it is due to continue until 2016.

I suspect the 2017 date is when they switch their focus completely over to FTTH having finished the FTTC rollout.

I think it is important for them to finish the FTTC rollout first, as it will bring "good enough" broadband to more people much faster then FTTH rollout will.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/government-shaves-over-200m-off-national-broadband-plan-spend-cut-to-275m-31567889.html

I think this must mean the blue lines will not be in the NBP. But, from the sounds of it, it was to get the bill down, rather than that Eir has made a good business case for those areas.

KOR101 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/government-shaves-over-200m-off-national-broadband-plan-spend-cut-to-275m-31567889.html

I think this must mean the blue lines will not be in the NBP. But, from the sounds of it, it was to get the bill down, rather than that Eir has made a good business case for those areas.
    I know wonder will eir be interested in NBP now your lucky if your on blue lines now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

rob808 wrote: »
    I know wonder will eir be interested in NBP now your lucky if your on blue lines now.

Well I wouldn't see why they wouldn't. With them having so much fiber in place with these blue lines, I'd say they would be quiet happy to take 50% of the government subsidies to extend their ducts further up the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Perhaps someone can help me.

The red mark on this is where the blue line ends.

My house is in the red circle.

What are the chances of me getting Fibre broadband? Right now I have nothing, only telephone services by eircom. Broadband via satellite on roof (5meg).

Perhaps someone can help me.

The red mark on this is where the blue line ends.

My house is in the red circle.

What are the chances of me getting Fibre broadband? Right now I have nothing, only telephone services by eircom. Broadband via satellite on roof (5meg).

Pretty good during the NBP roll out ..... but no one knows for sure.

Well if your on blue lines your getting FTTH of eir and if your not you be getting broadband of NBP but what you get depends on who win your lot.It possible eir my include you but it not starting till 2017 so broadband your on will have to do at moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

So if I'm reading this right houses close to the blue lines will get FTTH eventually depending on when eir actually bothers to roll it out to my area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement