Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

I just look at Eir NGA map the blue lines are gone i wonder is it because on NBP map getting updated in november.I dont know for sure the blue line are gone maybe someone could check www.fibrerollout.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

rob808 wrote: »
    I just look at Eir NGA map the blue lines are gone i wonder is it because on NBP map getting updated in november.I dont know for sure the blue line are gone maybe someone could check www.fibrerollout.ie

They are gone alright. Creating too many queries I expect!!!

PeadarB wrote: »
    They are gone alright. Creating too many queries I expect!!!
    I guess we have to wait till NBP map updated in November :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Funny that, because I checked it a couple of days ago. I thought the blue line near me had moved on maybe 50 meters (closer to me). Wasn't sure whether I was imagining it!

KOR101 wrote: »
    Funny that, because I checked it a couple of days ago. I thought the blue line near me had moved on maybe 50 meters (closer to me). Wasn't sure whether I was imagining it!
    How I wish that fri**in fibre would move 50 meters nearer to me - and I'm in the middle of Letterkenny - left rightly dangling "up the pole," so to speak. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

How I wish that fri**in fibre would move 50 meters nearer to me - and I'm in the middle of Letterkenny - left rightly dangling "up the pole," so to speak. :mad:
    Do you get VDSL?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the whole map is acting dodgy for me, the core fibre routes are gone as well as the rural ones. Parts of map not loading, only fttc showing up.

exchange boundary's disappeared as well. Map fills in with grey whenever i try to zoom around so something is up with it.

murphaph wrote: »
    Do you get VDSL?
    Vectored VDSL2 as far as I'm aware. I've had efibre from day 1. The new FTTH fibre run passes through the eir manhole 20 meters from the pole carrying the PSTN connection to my house. Currently getting 92/20 so I guess I can't complain that much.
    Open Eir have been very selective in their distribution, using only ducted runs to those premises on the fibre loop. Premises like mine served via pole drops will have to wait as each pole drop will require a new distrubition box and armored fibre, adding significantly to their costs.
    Looking at the potential rural runs from Letterkenny exchange, there will be a lot of happy people who will have FTTH in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Gonzo wrote: »
    the whole map is acting dodgy for me, the core fibre routes are gone as well as the rural ones. Parts of map not loading, only fttc showing up.

exchange boundary's disappeared as well. Map fills in with grey whenever i try to zoom around so something is up with it.

Could be an update in the works. Usually goes mental before they update. Give it a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭long_b

. Currently getting 92/20 so I guess I can't complain that much.

Rollseyes

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »

It back to normal now I sent them a message it seem sort now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Q Will Fibre Broadband ever reach all rural areas like ADSL did or will we be stuck on fixed wireless forever?

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Q Will Fibre Broadband ever reach all rural areas like ADSL did or will we be stuck on fixed wireless forever?
    Hi go to this www.fibrerollout.ie then click were and when then look for your house on the map if there blue line passing your house.The blue line is were eir plan on providing FTTH with speeds of 1 GB the build start in 2017 and finish by 2020 just to let you know it subject to change as planning goes a head let me know if pass you.

It says its roughly 2km out so I suppose it'll be awile :(, I'm currently on 20mb/1mb and getting around that so its fine for the moment though a higher upload speed is what I'd be interested in mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    It says its roughly 2km out so I suppose it'll be awile :(, I'm currently on 20mb/1mb and getting around that so its fine for the moment though a higher upload speed is what I'd be interested in mostly

Just wondering, is that Nova? 20/1 is pretty unusual.

Hi

Regarding the blue lines, simply put they reflect our FTTH rollout plan. In June of this year, we announced a further extension of our deployment plans from 1.6 million premises passed to 1.9 million premises; this extension will be complete by end of 2020. Should the line run along the road in front of your home, it is our intention then to deliver FTTH to your premises.

We have as yet not completed our detailed planning – so there may be some slight changes.

With regard to free upgrade to FTTH – open eir are responsible for the network – we are an open access network which means retail providers such as pure Telecom, eir, Vodafone etc. connect into our network and develop their own retail propositions for the consumer market. It will be the retail providers who will decide and deliver on the customer proposition

That the email I got of them ask that question because blue end at my gate but seem if blue line doesn't end at your house there still chance you might get it.

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Just wondering, is that Nova? 20/1 is pretty unusual.
    Yeah its Nova its a really good service tbh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

any news on when all this work is to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

There was also this (possibly from same source).......

Eir, which yesterday reported half-yearly revenues up 4 per cent to €653 million, has vowed to press ahead with the rollout of fibre broadband to 300,000 rural homes.

Originally earmarked as part of a €275 million State-subsidised scheme, Eir wants to go ahead despite an ongoing row with the Government over its plan.

Richard Moat, Eir chief executive, said the company was “commencing the rollout [of fibre] to the 300,000 homes right now”, despite the fact they were originally supposed to be part of the State-subsidised National Broadband Plan (NBP).

Eir’s insistence that it will bring fibre to these homes has queered the pitch for the NBP.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/eir-earnings-rise-as-it-prepares-to-roll-out-rural-broadband-1.2513065

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grouchyman

Looked up my local exchange on the map http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ and got the following message : open eir's FTTH 2017-2020 rollout programme with speeds up to 1Gb/s includes premises in this exchange area.

Does the fact that it says premises as opposed to "all premises" mean that not all houses covered by the exchange will get fibre? Sorry if this is a dumb question

Looked up my local exchange on the map http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ and got the following message : open eir's FTTH 2017-2020 rollout programme with speeds up to 1Gb/s includes premises in this exchange area.

Does the fact that it says premises as opposed to "all premises" mean that not all houses covered by the exchange will get fibre? Sorry if this is a dumb question

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

grouchyman wrote: »

scroll to the bottom of that page and select what county you are in, there is a table at the bottom of the page saying what exchanges will get FTTH in each county. They say that this will get updated later with exact number of premises to be covered when where/when etc so keep checking that page every few months. Im sure once it gets updated you will read about here on boards very quickly!.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Homes close to the exchange (within 1500m) are likely to be skipped over as they wont be eligible for NBP cash.

They will never reach 100% coverage of the rest, if you're 8-10km chances are poor.

ED E wrote: »
    Homes close to the exchange (within 1500m) are likely to be skipped over as they wont be eligible for NBP cash.

They will never reach 100% coverage of the rest, if you're 8-10km chances are poor.

Driving I'm about 4km from the exchange. so time to start prayin' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Our house is within 1km of a planned FTTC in a village. We are on the NBP map but not in the FTTH. Around our village the blue lines do come within 1.5km. Not sure why they just can't do all FTTH rather than letting us close to "planned" cabinets suffer with sub-par speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Our house is within 1km of a planned FTTC in a village. We are on the NBP map but not in the FTTH. Around our village the blue lines do come within 1.5km. Not sure why they just can't do all FTTH rather than letting us close to "planned" cabinets suffer with sub-par speeds.

Because they can provide you with an ok connection commercially and provider your rural neighbors with an FTTH link. If they were to invest capital in giving you FTTH now a chunk of those out in the sticks would get nothing. DECNR doesnt have infinite funding.

May be **** for you, but thinking on a larger scale it makes sense. You will get FTTH, just a bit later.

Because they can provide you with an ok connection commercially and provider your rural neighbors with an FTTH link. If they were to invest capital in giving you FTTH now a chunk of those out in the sticks would get nothing. DECNR doesnt have infinite funding.

May be **** for you, but thinking on a larger scale it makes sense. You will get FTTH, just a bit later.
    The problem is though we are deemed part of the NBP as the map currently stands as we've been promised this FTTC for two years. Plus it's about 890m as the crow flies. I don't see how we can be getting the over 30mbps NBP target being that far from the apparent new cabinet. Given the location of the village we should have gotten the cabinet ages ago but it clearly isn't coming anytime soon which is why the houses from our's outwards were put on the NBP list.

There must be some miscommunication between Eir and the department if we are deemed unworthy of FTTH from Eir yet worthy of the NBP.

The problem is though we are deemed part of the NBP as the map currently stands as we've been promised this FTTC for two years. Plus it's about 890m as the crow flies. I don't see how we can be getting the over 30mbps NBP target being that far from the apparent new cabinet. Given the location of the village we should have gotten the cabinet ages ago but it clearly isn't coming anytime soon which is why the houses from our's outwards were put on the NBP list.

There must be some miscommunication between Eir and the department if we are deemed unworthy of FTTH from Eir yet worthy of the NBP.
    Eir FTTC not finish till the end of 2016 so you could have it now in few months or by end of this year.There not starting rural FTTH till 2017 when FTTC rollout finished in 2016.what does it say when you click on the planned cabinet?.

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »

Eir FTTC not finish till the end of 2016 so you could have it now in few months or by end of this year.There not starting rural FTTH till 2017 when FTTC rollout finished in 2016.what does it say when you click on the planned cabinet?.
    Early/Mid 2016. Was originally Jan-Mar 2016. I don't mind waiting until the end of the year but I'm very skeptical if we'll be allowed to get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement