Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Happy with the broadband I have at the moment, just looking for realistic expectations of when I can expect some kind of an improvement! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Blue lines end 100 meters or so past my house, happy days if i get it.

This 2.5mb is taking its toll though, with 5 adults trying to use it at the same time.

Sooner the better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

The blue line falls short about 200 - 250 metres from my house and 4 other houses in our lane. Very worried :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Tullogher

I am on a blue line route. Recently eir have put a red D on a white background on the poles along the road. Does anyone know what this means?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    The blue line falls short about 200 - 250 metres from my house and 4 other houses in our lane. Very worried :(

In such circumstances it is possible they could feed those last 4 houses with G.FAST. It wouldn't quite give you 1Gb/s, but over 100Mb/s should be doable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Does anyone actually believe anything that's shown on that map of theirs? If you look at the eir fibre availability map that's up at eir.ie they are claiming that they'll almost double the geographical availability of eir fibre between now and March. I'd like to believe them but I've been living in an area that's been listed as being on the cusp of getting eir fibre for almost two years at this stage and it still hasn't happened. Its a great way of keeping people from looking into alternatives and sadly I fear the same is happening here but this time they are trying to trick the government and not their own customers. Scribbling a few blue lines on a map means nothing really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

grbear wrote: »
    Does anyone actually believe anything that's shown on that map of theirs? If you look at the eir fibre availability map that's up at eir.ie they are claiming that they'll almost double the geographical availability of eir fibre between now and March. I'd like to believe them but I've been living in an area that's been listed as being on the cusp of getting eir fibre for almost two years at this stage and it still hasn't happened. Its a great way of keeping people from looking into alternatives and sadly I fear the same is happening here but this time they are trying to trick the government and not their own customers. Scribbling a few blue lines on a map means nothing really.

I believe it will happen. The map your referring to is the E-Fibre map which shows entire exchanges coloured in as 'live'?, that map is total hokey pokey, it's nothing but false hopes only to be greeted with 'efibre is not available at your location', except for the few people who can get it inside of towns and housing estates.

The map on the Openair website which shows the blue lines is highly accurate as it shows exactly where the FTTC Cabinets are located down to the last meter and shows where the FTTH is going to be pulled down to the exact pole locations on the end of my road. That map is very exact and I have full faith in it. It's just a question of timing, how long will it take Eir to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Tullogher wrote: »
    I am on a blue line route. Recently eir have put a red D on a white background on the poles along the road. Does anyone know what this means?

They're putting you back on dialup, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tullogher wrote: »

Are the poles leaning in/out?

ED E wrote: »
    Are the poles leaning in/out?

No. They are straight and look in good condition

• Advertisement

They're putting you back on dialup, perhaps?

Anything is possible. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Gonzo wrote: »
    shows where the FTTH is going to be pulled down to the exact pole locations on the end of my road. That map is very exact and I have full faith in it. It's just a question of timing, how long will it take Eir to do it.

Just wondering how you are managing to get that level of detail, can't seem to see anything other than the blue line, the FTTC cabinet and Exchange on the map myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,996 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There is a blue line going past my house.
    The 'cab' in the ground is about 1 metre into my neighbours site where it joins mine. That is the end of the ducting.

BTW, the ducting traverses my site .... they asked permission many years ago to do this, as the road is on bedrock and it would have been a serious undertaking to try to bury ducting at its side.

Yet the blue line goes past my neighbours house and on to the next neighbour.

There is no duct or cab to that house, so it appears they intend to supply that house overhead, as is presently done with copper.
    The copper runs on to other houses some distance down the road.

EDIT:

The blue line also goes to this local farmer's barn ...... not what I expect will happen :)

ftthbarn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    The interesting thing (as previously mentioned by posters) is that this FTTH blue line's map has been very carefully overlaid/drawn. I see that in all the places I have checked - like a small blue line spur out on some roads, the line is shown out to the 1st or 2nd pole. Looking at street view I can see the existing 'domed' splicing/joint box on that pole and/or ducting finishing. This is good. Means they didn't just get a blue crayon involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

rob808 wrote: »
    Well if your on blue lines your getting FTTH of eir and if your not you be getting broadband of NBP but what you get depends on who win your lot.It possible eir my include you but it not starting till 2017 so broadband your on will have to do at moment.

I think you're wrong about the NBP, there's no blue lines near me but the NBP map states I will have service from a commercial operator.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

iPhone. wrote: »
    Just wondering how you are managing to get that level of detail, can't seem to see anything other than the blue line, the FTTC cabinet and Exchange on the map myself?

when i zoom into my area it shows all the area like roads, houses etc. I live 3 houses from the end of a cul de sac and I can see that the blue line goes as far as the last pole on the road which is beside the last house just before the start of their drive way.
    Certain parts of the map may not be clear if Google has not photographed your area yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

So my local cabinet shows as Eir Fibre enabled, it's 2KM away straight on the map (yes, I'm aware telephone lines don't work that way). Previously I could only get 1Mb down years ago on copper, what are the chances I'd be able to get something higher if I were to switch back?

So my local cabinet shows as Eir Fibre enabled, it's 2KM away straight on the map (yes, I'm aware telephone lines don't work that way). Previously I could only get 1Mb down years ago on copper, what are the chances I'd be able to get something higher if I were to switch back?

Switch back from what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Switch back from what?

Wicklow Broadband, a WISP. Service is good but speeds only at 7 down 2 up.

Wicklow Broadband, a WISP. Service is good but speeds only at 7 down 2 up.

If that service is reliable I would stick with it ..... there are a lot of unknows with the copper service ...... state of copper, distance, whether connected to cab or direct to exchange .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Unlikely, but there's no harm in putting your phone number/address in to the line checker: https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

If it's 2KM as the crow flies, then it'll be longer on the poles. AFAIK eir will not take any orders for lines at 2KM or longer from a cab and 1.6KM from an exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Just saw the info on the rural routes there recently. Didnt think I'd be on it to be honest. Open the map and saw one blue line through our area. Luckily it goes past the house, just about, stops bout 40meters up the road! Although there are about 15-20 houses on the 1km stretch of road we are on so I had hoped that might tempt them out our way.

My fathers house is a bit out of luck. There is a rural route up from the two towns each side of where they are. Annoyingly both stop 1km from the house either side. So there is about 2-3km along the main road not covered between those two towns. Wonder what the chances are of them just joining that rural route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Folks - Eir Fibre is not FTTH, it seems they are calling those packages "Eir Extreme"

This thread might make more sense

eirVision sounds very like airVision, a Ubiquiti trademark....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Folks - Eir Fibre is not FTTH, it seems they are calling those packages "Eir Extreme"

This thread might make more sense
    I think Eir sales are gona have problems you have Eir fibre and Eir extreme.It reminds me of Nintendo calling it console wii and then it next console wii u that caused a lot of confusion.The parents didn't know the difference will Eir sales people know the difference:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

ED E wrote: »
    eirVision sounds very like airVision, a Ubiquiti trademark....

That's why it's eir vision, with a space ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭squonk

What's the deal with the blue lines? Do they indicate just where FTTH will operate? My road has two lines, an older one that right now can't even carry any sort of decent broadband signal so we're not even offered it and, just 300m away, there is another line where you can get about 2Mbs because it's a newer installation. This line is marked as blue on the Eir map but my section of the road isn't coloured in at all. Does that mean I'm screwed... again?

squonk wrote: »
    What's the deal with the blue lines? Do they indicate just where FTTH will operate? My road has two lines, an older one that right now can't even carry any sort of decent broadband signal so we're not even offered it and, just 300m away, there is another line where you can get about 2Mbs because it's a newer installation. This line is marked as blue on the Eir map but my section of the road isn't coloured in at all. Does that mean I'm screwed... again?

Dont copy paste the same post into multiple threads.

Oh and read the thread. The last few pages have been answering precisely that question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaketherake

My area has the blue line going past it and along all the other roads around.
    We have had a cab enabled since the start of FTTC.
    Myself and a few other people in the area have eFibre, but eircom keep tell all of the other neighbours that its not available in their area when they try to get it.
    And no amount of convincing will work on Eircom. they will not even come out to them to check.
    The funny thing is that i have eFibre and both neighbours either side of me are being told not available in your area. The guy across the road has it too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement