Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-08-2015, 11:10   #1
tomfoolery60

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

I have started using a service called Revolut which offers a prepaid mastercard and allows you to convert money to USD/GBP at market rates with zero commission https://revolut.com/

Have used to purchase some stuff online in GBP and requested the physical card (to allow ATM withdrawals when outside the Eurozone) and it works very well so far.

As I understand it, it is free for the first 12 months and then they might charge a fee. There is a code from MoneySavingExpert "MSE" that will give you a £5 bonus if you sign up and deposit a tenner or something like that.
(95) thanks from:
5star02707, absolutegroove, ActingDanClark, Agent Coulson, allthedoyles, Amouar, BlackWizard, bpb101, brendan86, CalamariFritti, Capt_cack, ceroc81, cnolan, coillsaille, Cortina_MK_IV, curiosity, Dardania, daveharnett, Delta2113, dilallio, dingding, Doge, Doodlebug, dRNk SAnTA, dubrov, duffman13, F1ngers, Fenster, flyguy, gerrykiddy, GhostyMcGhost, GreatDefector, gunnerfitzy, handofdog, howardmarks, jay-me, Jhcx, Jilm, jimmycrackcorm, Johnny_Fontane, jonerkinsella, JONJO THE MISER, JP Liz V1, JTMan, KaseLieberKase, keithclancy, listermint, loopymum, Lucas Hood, Luckycharms_74, machalla, malene, Margan, mcdirl, mcgucc22, mickger844posts, MiskyBoyy, msmx5, murpho999, NATLOR, Omeceron, opus, OttoPilot, Pablo1802, PBX, ppn, Prezatch, Quackster, Racket, restive, revz, Ruu, Satriale, scubapro, Sir Oxman, SmallTeapot, Solaris10, StaticNoise, StereoSound, sweetie, swingking, Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo, The Ayatolla, Thegalwayman, Tony, tuff1, txema, UsedToWait, VanZan, WIZWEB, wush06, Xzen, yabadabado, zarquon, _dof_
Advertisement
22-08-2015, 13:36   #2
GY A1

Any fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfoolery60 View Post
I have started using a service called Revolut which offers a prepaid mastercard and allows you to convert money to USD/GBP at market rates with zero commission https://revolut.com/

Have used to purchase some stuff online in GBP and requested the physical card (to allow ATM withdrawals when outside the Eurozone) and it works very well so far.

As I understand it, it is free for the first 12 months and then they might charge a fee. There is a code from MoneySavingExpert "MSE" that will give you a £5 bonus if you sign up and deposit a tenner or something like that.
Thanks from:
22-08-2015, 14:41   #3
tomfoolery60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GY A1 View Post
Any fees
Not for the first 12mths they say
22-08-2015, 15:16   #4
Niemoj
Banned

Looks very good but I'm curious as to how a "no fee" company like themselves makes money.
22-08-2015, 15:21   #5
snubbleste
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemoj View Post
Looks very good but I'm curious as to how a "no fee" company like themselves makes money.
We earn a nominal fee paid to us by merchants every time you use Revolut Card.
We reserve the right to review our pricing structure after the first 12 months of your use of the Revolut service. We do not anticipate any significant changes. Revolut was launched to offer a fair and transparent service. It has been designed to offer the best value and the best user experience. There are no hidden fees to our users.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
22-08-2015, 15:35   #6
jay-me

Well that was the quickest 5 pounds ever earned! Wonder if I can make off currency fluctuations too?
22-08-2015, 16:05   #7

Can you top up in euro or will you end up paying fees on the Irish end converting to GBP.
22-08-2015, 16:08   #8
Racket

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbypaddy View Post
Can you top up in euro or will you end up paying fees on the Irish end converting to GBP.
I topped up in €, got the £5 that way, converted that £5 back to € and it was added to my € balance. All in the space of about a minute. Saved me a bit of money on something I was planning to buy online anyway.
(2) thanks from:
22-08-2015, 16:17   #9
revz

Easiest £5 ever.

I'm heading to the States in 2 weeks time, and as far as I can see, this is the best way to go about getting my cash in $.

I owe you a pint OP!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-08-2015, 18:47   #10
Chorus_suck
Banned

This post has been deleted.
22-08-2015, 19:50   #11
Racket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorus_suck View Post
This post has been deleted.
You have to enter it in while you set it up, though I've seen people mention they messaged the Revolut customer service about it and had the £5 applied later. Could try that and see.
Thanks from:
22-08-2015, 21:31   #12
yesno1234

Anyone know can this be used for gaming/gambling? Have emailed but thought I'd ask anyways to see if anyones tried.
23-08-2015, 03:51   #13

Tried to register and got a message "device already registered". Never heard of them before today. I have had the same number for a good few years. I put +353 and left the 0 off my mobile number. Am I doing something wrong?
23-08-2015, 07:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tapley View Post
Tried to register and got a message "device already registered". Never heard of them before today. I have had the same number for a good few years. I put +353 and left the 0 off my mobile number. Am I doing something wrong?
Getting the same message here when trying to register using the iOS App
Thanks from:
23-08-2015, 08:00   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
Getting the same message here when trying to register using the iOS App
I'm on android. I sent them a message on Facebook. I will post if I hear anything back.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion