Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Could be a good one, and it has a lot of potential: the books themselves are great page-turners, though not necessarily brilliantly written. The clichés come thick and fast in all departments, but that's not always a bad thing if the clichés are entertainingly put together. The first novel, Leviathan Wakes, is a blast and full of adventure. The world of The Expanse is also pretty intriguing, given how relatively small it is compared to other sci-fi universes (spanning only our solar system given warp drives simply don't exist). Even out in space there never seems to be enough room for everyone to spread out and avoid each other, so there's always a lot of tension waiting to explode out.

The trailer looks interesting, but it's disappointing already how white everyone looks given the books tried to emphasise how mixed we have become by this future; also a pity how (what I presume to be) the people living on the moon/asteroid colonies, the 'belters', aren't the long, thin people from the novels.

Still looking forward to this, I'm just worried ScyFy will tinker with enough of the incidental detail to remove the little things that made The Expanse that bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

wow i literally just finished this book. Kind of have to watch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

That looks really cheap and low budget like Andromeda or Babylon 5, I'll wait for the reviews here before I bother I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Thargor wrote: »
    That looks really cheap and low budget like Andromeda or Babylon 5, I'll wait for the reviews here before I bother I think...

If you're not watching Babylon 5 due to the special effects you're missing out big time.

Kinda looking forward to this but that could just be due to the almost complete dearth of space based sci-fi over the last while.

• Advertisement

Ive seen it, doesn't mean its not cheap though. Set design just jooks really crap, generic concrete hall shots from a million other ScyFy shows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Scy Fy's shows often seem to lack that tiny bit of polish or creativity that other stations bring; except mind you when they do throw money behind projects and they end up being pretty underwhelming (Helix, Defiance, Ascension). I saw a trailer for another of rScyFy's shows, Killjoys and again it looked like a show set within drab corridors and buildings.

Bumping the thread as there's a new trailer out; not sold on the actor playing Holden at all, expected him to be a little older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Good stuff! Except:
    The Expanse premieres in December 2015 on Syfy.
    Crap...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Thargor wrote: »
    Good stuff! Except:

Crap...

I'm trying to remember other original sci-fi shows to compare it to. Weren't BSG and Stargate:Atlantis & Universe made by them?

I don't think it would be fair to compare it to those sci-fi original films they make.

I'm about half way into Abadons Gate and loving these books so far.

I meant crap we have to wait until December...

Looks like the first episode will be out much sooner than the general December release for the whole series: apparently the 1st episode will be out on VOD on November 23rd

http://deadline.com/2015/11/the-expanse-digital-premiere-syfy-series-1201604928/

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Episode 1 is out in the universe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Episode 1 is out in the universe.
    Looked decent to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

good opener, kind of a Babylon 5 mixed with Battlestar vibe about it

Surprisingly enjoyable, though i do wonder how easy it'd be to follow from the perspective of someone who hasn't read the books.
    Production values seem top notch. Fears put to rest?

Wow, that's the most amount of money I've seen onscreen from a ScyFy channel series in ages; possibly since Battlestar. It's a far cry from the downright penury of shows like Dark Matter, whose budget is kinda pathetic. The Expanse's first episode looked fantastic, and if it stays at that level, it should be worth watching for the FX alone.
    Surprisingly enjoyable, though i do wonder how easy it'd be to follow from the perspective of someone who hasn't read the books.
    Production values seem top notch. Fears put to rest?

Good question tbh; from what I recall of the first book, the first episode was pretty faithful to events that led up to
    the destruction of the Canterbury
    , but without the voices from the page, I suspect context and detail would be lost to new viewers. In fact, the first scene of the episode was pretty muddled & confusing tbh, even for me. Not to mention very censored compared to the book version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Not read the books and only a quick wiki summary to get the overall plot direction (to make sure it was not zombies in space) so I'll let you know :P

Nody wrote: »
    to make sure it was not zombies in space

Stay tuned for season two...

• Advertisement

• This was surprisingly good. I was expecting utter **** from syfy but it was pretty decent. Been a while since there was some good space based Sci fi on telly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Amos seemed a little young and they avoided making Alex, Miller and Naomi having the physical characteristics of Mars and Belt born humans.
    Amos should be bigger and older but, time will tell.
    Poor Shed the medic though, will he make it out of episode 2, I don't think so!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Poor Shed the medic though, will he make it out of episode 2, I don't think so!

I may be completely wrong, but i do recall reading somewhere that
    episode two would have then Knight crew in transit and focus on the troubles in Ceres after the broadcast, and that episode three would pretty much be the Donnager, but we'll have to wait and see.

For those interested, the series started properly on ScyFy on Monday night; the first episode aired yesterday & the second airs tonight. All the subsequent episodes will be every Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭BKtje

Episode 3 and 4 are out there as well. Must say that I'm absolutely loving the show so far.

Having seen the first three, i notice that the pacing does seem to be all over the place but it's only a minor complaint. Amos seems a bit more aggressive towards Holden than he does in the book though.
    I feel like they're trying to make Muss a bigger character than she is in the book, whick makes me wonder how long we'll be on Ceres? I didn't expect Haverlock to get kebab'd like that!

They did a great job making me like Shed, the feckers! :(

Still enjoying this quite a bit; definitely one of the strongest pieces of Space Sci-Fi the channel has produced in years. It looks great (most obvious amount of money in a ScyFy channel show for a good while), the characters and dynamics work really well, it all hangs together quite nicely. They've definitely changed around the dynamic of the main crew mind you, but presumably it'll soften a little, otherwise the
    Rocinante
    isn't going to be such a happy environment.

My only quibble so far is the terrible audio-mixing going on: I'm actually considering using subtitles because some scenes are indecipherable. Dialogue is often muffled and hard to pick out among the other ambient noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

Well this really is a fantastic sci-fi show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I binged the lot yesterday and was well impressed with the whole shebang.
    One thing though, I though Amos was far more tied to Holden, in the show he hangs on every word Naomi says, I'll have to refer back to the books to double check, if it's true and they did change it there's going to be other changes later when the Amos/Holden relationship becomes very important.
    Shed's death was perfect, straight from the page to the screen, one moment he's there, the next nanosecond his head is missing, or rather we know where it is, out the hole behind it that the rail gun round punched in the wall

I was even impressed that they
    got the drum beat of the point defence cannons right, as they drummed away at the stealthed ships attacking the Donnager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

loving this show. so happy i have a NEW scifi fix to ease me out of the Farscape re-watch

ant wait for episode 5. I have been telling everyone about it. So happy they released the first 4 online to generate a bit of buzz. i love the way combat is done at extreme distances - time to have a coffee and a chat - walk into a different room and come back before anything has impacted. Its a interesting change

Advertisement