Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Expanse (Amazon) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished episode 3, and this show really is a belter, pardon the pun. It not only captures the world and texture of the books, but made decent enough additions on its own, such as expanding Havelock a little, or adding some extra division in the main crew. My only complaint is the minor quibble that it's a shame Avasarala doesn't swear; obviously due to the channel constraints, but her potty mouth was a distinct part of the book version.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

are they showing this on syfy on Sky yet

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Just saw episode 4 there. WOW. I love the
    new ship!

Also, who the funk is funding this? This goes well beyond SyFy's usual crappy graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

the_syco wrote: »
    Just saw episode 4 there. WOW. I love the
    new ship!

Also, who the funk is funding this? This goes well beyond SyFy's usual crappy graphics.

My Guess:
    Possibly just like the new ship: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

But I agree, it's better than what SyFy/Space are usually putting out in terms of production value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

its up there with BSG in terms of production quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

My Guess:
    Possibly just like the new ship: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

But I agree, it's better than what SyFy/Space are usually putting out in terms of production value.
    The internet would have been screaming about that spoiler for weeks if it was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a second season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well deserved renewal. Episode 4 was pretty epic, really kept the pace up and the plates spinning. The set piece on the Donniger was one of the most spectacular action scenes in recent TV memory. Anyone any idea how this is performing, ratings wise?

So there we are 1/2 through the current season and I'm hooked, the last episode was a great piece furthering our understanding of the key players and more character driven than action. I enjoyed it.

Now I'm looking forward to next weeks episode.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Finished the first book a few days ago and three episodes in now, really liking it though I'm finding the forced drama between Holden and his crew a bit jarring at the moment, but I guess it works better for TV than just having them get along all the time. Amos is depicted as a lot more sombre than they way I pictured him so far too.

Regards the stuff on earth,
    is that all from the later books? I've only read Leviathan Wakes.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Finished the first book a few days ago and three episodes in now, really liking it though I'm finding the forced drama between Holden and his crew a bit jarring at the moment, but I guess it works better for TV than just having them get along all the time. Amos is depicted as a lot more sombre than they way I pictured him so far too.

Regards the stuff on earth,
    is that all from the later books? I've only read Leviathan Wakes.

Yeah, not a mad fan of the forced hostility between the crew myself; as you say it's a bit forced and obviously there to add a little spice for the TV adaptation.

as for the Earth stuff:
    yeah, the characters make their appearance in the second book onwards, but Avarasala's presence prematurely in the first season makes a lot of sense anyway; she adds a nice contrast to the events happening in the Belt (even if so far her entire roll consists of looking concerned)

Caught the 5th episode and a it's a bit of a slower one, compared with the hell-for-leather action of episode four. Speaking of the crew,
    it was also the first episode that showed a little of the camaraderie and the small seeds of friendship that the book had.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭squonk

Up to episode 3 and I really like it so far. Like others said, I'm getting BSG, Babylong 5 vibes from it which is very reassuring and there also seems to be an element of Game of Thrones to it so far with all the political elements. I don't think I gave the show the attention it deserved early on because I was expecting the usual SciFi crappiness but this show transcends that so I may go back and rewatch earlier episodes. REally, it's great to have decently produced and entertaining Sci Fi back that's actualy set in space and involving sips. There's been too much of an absence of anything like that the past while.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched episode 6 last night and the show continues to impress. Was another slow mover but moved the story along nicely all the same and there was a couple of really good moments. I do wonder have they left too much to fit into the last 4 episodes though.

Watched episode 6 last night and the show continues to impress. Was another slow mover but moved the story along nicely all the same and there was a couple of really good moments. I do wonder have they left too much to fit into the last 4 episodes though.

Yeah, definitely slowest episode yet, but not a coincidence that it also had the most room for the characters to breath; all the major players got a chance to show a little much-needed depth.

I loved the little moment that both highlighted character and the world surrounding them: Dawes spoke of the scar circling his neck being caused by helmet seals over-heating, all feeding into the concept of this harsh, unforgiving frontier world these people live in. Yet I couldn't help notice Naomi sported a neck tattoo, almost identical in shape to Dawes' scar. A lovely bit of background, cultural detail. Love that kind of thing.

As for the remainder of the season, I've been wondering about the time left myself; remembering the events of the book, I suspect (seriously, if you've not read the book, do not highlight the text)
    Episode 10 will revolve around the discovery of Julie Mao and the proto-molecule. I did wonder if there was enough time to cover the events on Eros, but that alone could be an arc within Season 2. 10 episodes never felt enough time to build up the complexity of an entire society in the Solar System, AND the presence of alien proto-molecule-goop causing a stir. Better to build the world first in season 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely slowest episode yet, but not a coincidence that it also had the most room for the characters to breath; all the major players got a chance to show a little much-needed depth.

I loved the little moment that both highlighted character and the world surrounding them: Dawes spoke of the scar circling his neck being caused by helmet seals over-heating, all feeding into the concept of this harsh, unforgiving frontier world these people live in. Yet I couldn't help notice Naomi sported a neck tattoo, almost identical in shape to Dawes' scar. A lovely bit of background, cultural detail. Love that kind of thing.

As for the remainder of the season, I've been wondering about the time left myself; remembering the events of the book, I suspect (seriously, if you've not read the book, do not highlight the text)
    Episode 10 will revolve around the discovery of Julie Mao and the proto-molecule. I did wonder if there was enough time to cover the events on Eros, but that alone could be an arc within Season 2. 10 episodes never felt enough time to build up the complexity of an entire society in the Solar System, AND the presence of alien proto-molecule-goop causing a stir. Better to build the world first in season 1

Slow as it was I think this beats out CQB as my favourite episode. Every story thread worked for me. Chrisjen's political machinations, the scene with Miller and Dawes about his sister worked on so many levels, as an acting show piece for Jared harris, a chess move from Miller to distract him from finding the chip and as an insight into a belters life. Then we had the Tycho scenes where we begin to get to know the Roci crew and see them come together for a common purpose by choice rather then having been randomly thrown together by circumstances.

Totally agree with you about the great cultural details they are layering in to differentiate the belters from everybody else whether its Dawes helmet seal neck scar or Naomi's neck tattoo which,to my mind, looks like a helmet seal. Details like these are important given,two actors aside, they aren't/can't portraying Belters as the tall willowy beings they are in the books. It also occurs to me that given belters spend a lot of time in their Suits neck tattoo's would be the the way to go if you want to show off your ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Is this show worth watching?

Fan of firefly, star trek, battlestar, stargate, ascension, dark matter, etc

Is this show worth watching?

Fan of firefly, star trek, battlestar, stargate, ascension, dark matter, etc

Unreserved yes from me. Genetically quite similar to battlestar in spots, no so much something like stargate.

On episode 4 and find it odd that Mormons have come up quite frequently. Find it kind of offputting, to be honest.

On episode 4 and find it odd that Mormons have come up quite frequently. Find it kind of offputting, to be honest.

Why?

Why?

Because it would make me worry whether it uses it in a preachy manner, if they're featured more heavily. Battlestar Galactica is one thing, because it featured a fictional religion, but it felt like it featured far too much in later seasons.

Have to say I'm enjoying this so far - enough intrigue, police procedural, and violence to keep me happy.

• Advertisement

Because it would make me worry whether it uses it in a preachy manner, if they're featured more heavily. Battlestar Galactica is one thing, because it featured a fictional religion, but it felt like it featured far too much in later seasons.

Have to say I'm enjoying this so far - enough intrigue, police procedural, and violence to keep me happy.

Blasphemy, how can you call religions featured in BSG fictional, that is outrages and offends me deeply. Next you deny that Jedi are a religion too?

In The Expanse "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" is featured twice so far and you see a danger of it being preachy?

How many times come equally wacky "mainstream" religions up in other TV shows?

Blasphemy, how can you call religions featured in BSG fictional, that is outrages and offends me deeply. Next you deny that Jedi are a religion too?

In The Expanse "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" is featured twice so far and you see a danger of it being preachy?

How many times come equally wacky "mainstream" religions up in other TV shows?

Usually in Sci-Fi shows, such as this, they're entirely fictional. It seems odd, to me personally, that they chose to use a real life one -- that's pretty much why.

Usually in Sci-Fi shows, such as this, they're entirely fictional. It seems odd, to me personally, that they chose to use a real life one -- that's pretty much why.

It's only set 200 years in the future, and it's set in our solar system. Would make no sense to make one up. May as well criticise it for using the real names for the planets,moons and asteroids.

What is interesting is a lot of the accents sound South African and the language they speak often sounds Afrikaans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

pixelburp wrote: »
    With 4 episodes left I still think it's the whole book in this series. They have just left for Eros so unless they are going to spend the next 4 episodes in the bar there I can't see how finding Julie Mao won't happen within the next couple of episodes.

More strong character work with this weeks episode; without detailing which, the little changes from the books are actually improving the drama a fair bit. The scenes on the farm worked well as an explainer for Holden's character, and if anything, make his actions seem a little sadder & more pathetic than before. My only quibble would be the last couple of episodes felt a little like stalling.
    mewso wrote: »
    With 4 episodes left I still think it's the whole book in this series. They have just left for Eros so unless they are going to spend the next 4 episodes in the bar there I can't see how finding Julie Mao won't happen within the next couple of episodes.

Don't want to clutter this thread with book spoilers, as it's not fair to anyone who hasn't read the novels but
    after this weeks episode, with so much non-book material, I'm not sure we'll see events on Eros take place. Personally, I think season 1 will finish with the discovery of the proto-molecule, but not witness its full danger. It'd seem like too sudden a glut of information to cram into the last episodes of a season - heck I thought the gear-change in the books was a bit too clumsy by half.

I can not wait for the next Episode which according to the 17 seconds promo looks to be action packed and drive the story line further very quickly.

It's bad that only 3 episodes are left, because i don't expect Season 2 to launch before next year which is way too long to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thought the Mormons little subplot in the books was great tbh, they should show that here instead of the way they're doing it making them look like generic preachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The story seems to have slowed to a crawl the past episode or so with the Canterbery survivors. I don't mind them going off-page but we need a compelling reason. at the end of episode 7 they're en route to Eros, the same as they were at the end of episode 6 and all we really got for our troubles was some tension with Amos.

Seriously, big spoilers here. you've been warned!
    I can see the Eros incident taking all three episodes left and if it's anything like the book it'll be great. That means the other big set-pieces of the book, the attack on the Protogen station and the other Eros incident could potentially take up three or four episodes of season 2...and obviously hold on to Thomas Jayne a bit longer. he's fantastic as Miller

• Advertisement

The story seems to have slowed to a crawl the past episode or so with the Canterbery survivors. I don't mind them going off-page but we need a compelling reason. at the end of episode 7 they're en route to Eros, the same as they were at the end of episode 6 and all we really got for our troubles was some tension with Amos.

I think the last Episode severed largely to allow us to get to know the characters more rather than bringing the story line ahead.

However if you read the episode summaries for the upcoming 3 episodes left you will see where the season ends, I have the feeling that they will bring the story significant forward in the next episode.

I'm very happy that they got a second season because the story needs further telling and for once SyFy has gotten their hands on a good piece of show.

Advertisement