Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Boston (merged)

Options
  • 29-01-2010 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey 2 friends and I have gotten our student visas for the summer,but have no clue about where to stay in Boston,thinking we should try and confirm jobs 1st. Basically clueless,as to whether Boston is the place to be,is work available etc. Any info,past experiences etc will be very helpful, Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bigdaddy14

Yep wanna no de same ....I'd say we'll be stayin in a frat house in mit anyway...Heard 4m alot of ppl dat its supposed 2 b very gud !??

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭nilocsnikrep

Know any good sites for looking up accomodation ? Thinking its probably best to secure a place to live before looking for work ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bigdaddy14

Yea thinkin de same thing....well a few are
    www.mit.edu-listoffrathousesrenting/summer
    www.ApartmentAccess.com
    www.bostonglobe.com
    www.easyrent.com
    Got a few of those of the Sayit crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Maisie

If anybody has been to Boston on a J1 can they advise......which is a better area to stay, Brighton or Mission Hill? Things we need to consider are night life, public transport, whether one has a bigger, young / student population [and therefore less hassle from neighbours] Also, is it easy enough to come across cheap second hand furniture if we rent un-furnished.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Hey myself and 9 other lads are heading to Boston for the summer, just wondering if anyone else on here is going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 joeyvw

Hi,

Signed up for J1 this summer and will be heading to Boston by myself, just have a few questions if anyone can help me out i'd appreciate it.

Anyone else in the same position?
    Anyone ever been to Boston, if so where would you recommend?
    My mate was telling me Craigslist is the best place to find accommodation and what would be the best website to look up job vacancies!

If anyone is heading over i'd be interested in house sharing.
    Sorry for all the questions just a bit nervous about it now but I'm sure that's normal!

Cheers
    Joey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I live in Boston, what could I tell you?

It's certainly an easy place to live, and in many ways Dublin is like a smaller version of Boston.

Boston's mostly a student city, so once college is done at the end of May there's plenty of Summer sublets. But it's not cheap to rent here, rooms on the subway start at $500 a month and can easily run to double that if you want to live in a nice area.

Craigslist is a good place to start for accommodation, and a few jobs too. Restaurants and bars are an obvious work choice if you have experience in that area

I live in Boston, what could I tell you?

It's certainly an easy place to live, and in many ways Dublin is like a smaller version of Boston.

Boston's mostly a student city, so once college is done at the end of May there's plenty of Summer sublets. But it's not cheap to rent here, rooms on the subway start at $500 a month and can easily run to double that if you want to live in a nice area.

Craigslist is a good place to start for accommodation, and a few jobs too. Restaurants and bars are an obvious work choice if you have experience in that area

Yeah thats one of the reasons why I considered it so it would be easy to mix in with people!

Do you reckon it would be easy to find a job, Hopefully I will have my degree in Mechanical Engineering by the summer, so should open more options for jobs, would you know of any business that would hire on a regular basis?

I was reading about people living in Brighton?, said it close to the college and close to a T-line, any where else you'd recommend to rent, looking for something safe but central

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I don't know any specifically mechanical engineering places, but I would expect there are many, particularly in Cambridge/Somerville because of their proximity to MIT.

Everywhere in Boston is safe, with the possible exception of some corners of Roxbury, Dorchester and East Boston.
    Brighton's a good student area, but it's on the tram, so it takes about 40 minutes to get into downtown. Like I said, Cambridge or Somerville will probably be your best bets if you're looking for an engineering job.

That's Great thanks for all your help I'll look into a few places and see if I can get any info on them, Cheers

• Advertisement

Me and three of my friends are heading to Boston on the 3rd of June and finding it impossible to find work so far. Finding accommodation doesn't seem to be much of a problem it's just trying to find a cheap place available for the summer.

Anyone have ideas on where to look for work?

Cheers,
    Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Louise cc

Hi, two girls 20 heading over to Boston on a J1 for the summer. We've done a J1 before so know what its like with accommodation and all! were hoping to find a group to move in with to cut down on rent ! If anyone is looking for two more roomates let me know! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cnrwhite

Hi Louise,

Travelling with 1 or 2 other guys looking to share with other people too when you going?

Conor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 niamheng

Hey people,

I set up this Facebook group for Boston this summer. For any info sharing and arranging house sharing and all that jazz.

I have also been looking up places to live, there are three of us going over so we'll be looking to house share as well. Anyway, join the group there and you can chat to people who are going as well.

Niamh

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭simon0brien

joeyvw wrote: »
    Hi,

Signed up for J1 this summer and will be heading to Boston by myself, just have a few questions if anyone can help me out i'd appreciate it.

Anyone else in the same position?
    Anyone ever been to Boston, if so where would you recommend?
    My mate was telling me Craigslist is the best place to find accommodation and what would be the best website to look up job vacancies!

If anyone is heading over i'd be interested in house sharing.
    Sorry for all the questions just a bit nervous about it now but I'm sure that's normal!

Cheers
    Joey

Boston is a killa of a city :) It's got everything..
    I had some of the best days of my life there..
    Well done on picking this place over NYC
    But when I was there there was no work.. Nothing to get by on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cnrwhite

You have a link to the group?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 SambaSoup

How is the jobhunt going?..wondering whether its best to sort before going over! where are the best places to look!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LauraDel9

Hey a group of us just booked our J1 to Boston! Just wondering has anyone else booked it or thinking of going to Boston?

If anyone has any helpful tips it would be greatly appreciated :) where to live & job wise!
    We would be willing to share housing too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Donlan91

How many of you are going over? Allston and Brighton are affordable and safe areas and there's usually a lot of Irish there. Good jobs can be found around Fanueil Hall, Quincy Market and the Harbor/Waterfront area.

Thanks for that! There are 8 of us so far, were using craigslist to get an idea bout housing and jobs! You'd be nervous going over not knowing if we will get a job or that! I think were going to book into a hostel for a few nights while we look for houses!!

• Advertisement

No bother, Boston is great craic. Are you all 21? It's very strict with IDs

Send CVs that have the exact experience required, you can generally tell them what they want to hear and they won't go checking up on things. Have a fancy cover letter too. Craigslist is great, send as many emails as possible. I'm sure you'll be grand.

Yeah were all 21 so we should be ok! Do you have to use your passport all the time? I'd be afraid I'd lose it!

I've sent a few emails already but I know its early but just asked do they open any summer positions! I got one reply so far! Did you walk around places and just hand in your cv? I hope theres plenty jobs!! Anything would do to get us started!

Did you travel much while you were there? Were flying home from NY so were gonna stay there for the last week or that!

You're sorted for nights out so. They were always asking for passports we found. Yes it is a bit early for jobs but no harm. I think around march they'll start the hiring process. I got my job from walking into every business and using craiglist.

Waitressing is a good one, sometimes they hold ''walk in interviews'' where you need to hand in your cv in person. That's how I got my job and all you have to do is smile lots and use your irish charm! Also it's good to say you'll be there until ''Labour Day''. That's when the tourist season comes to an end so they don't mind you leaving work.

Went to Cape Cod ( Hyannis) bus costs 30$ and it's a nice beach side town and Chatham is a posh area close by which is less touristy and more up scale. Went to NYC for a few day trips, only 20$ bus fare, well worth it!

Grand we will just have to mind them well so!

I have a bit of experience in waitressing, just a little cafe tho! Hopefully they won't mind and will train in maybe! Few white lies here and there!! I plan on filling them with loads of stories to get tips haha!

Were you able to sort accommodation before you went over?

Thanks so much again, its all very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aileen OS

Hi all,

Myself and my boyfriend are traveling to Boston on the 27th of May. We are looking at student accommodation of MIT.. it seams very reasonable and central. I have sent a few emails inquiring about them but i haven't got a reply yet. Is it too early to be looking for accommodation? Here is a link to the student accommodation page:

http://ifc.mit.edu/summer.php

LauraDel9, we would be willing to share accommodation with you! I have done loads of research and we really like Cambridge. How many are in your group?

:)

Hey! I don't think its too early to be honest, it might be a help to be looking now! We have just been looking for houses on Craigslist, if we don't get one before we go I think we're just gonna look over there!

I've got loads of messages about sharing accommodation, I'm not sure what we are doing yet but I will keep you posted! There are 8 of us and possibly 4 or 5 more to share so thats why I'm not sure about the sharing yet! But if we manage to get a house and theres room or that we will let you know :)

There is a Facebook group if anyone wants to join it, it will be fairly handy for before and while over there :) I'm sure if anyone is stuck for a place to stay you will prob find something through there :)https://www.facebook.com/groups/698697203474796/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RedDollar!

I'm half way booked for a J1 and planning to head to Boston. Travelling solo so if any of ye are willing to share I'd be grateful if you could squeeze in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

how much would ye need going over there,do you think havnt got much money so would need to find a job quickly over there thats my biggest worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 RedDollar!

You need a certain amount of money going over there and need to prove you have the money. Depending on who you book your J1 with, I'm using USIT and they require you have $1200 in up your possession going over there if you don't have a job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 LeoMc93

Well lads!! Me and my girlfriend are heading over aswell to Boston on the 30th of May. We'd be looking to share accommodation if there's anyone else looking to do that. We were looking at a frat house in Boston University. Looks the job internet and all. Not sure of cost though. If anyone has some info it would be much appreciated :)

Advertisement