Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Boston (merged)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mcgeea

flying out next saturday, have some leads on accommodation in the quincy/dorchester area, anybody interested in that area ??

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HaloThere

Went on a J1 last year, wouldn't live in the dorchester area personally, very dodgy area although there seems to be a lot of Irish there! Allston/Brighton/Cambridge all safe and nice j1 areas!

Waitressing is quite handy work..best way is just to walk in with Cv in hand..exaggerate experience if necessary although I had no waitressing experience and managed to get a job within three days. The times bar/ the granary/ The black rose /Dooleys all hired Irish j1 students last year, as did the lemonade stands down by the waterfront. Get there ASAP , the last week of May a lot of the jobs will go! Keep in mind waitresses only get paid 2 dollars an hour so you are really relying on tips. Food runners and hosts get a set wage of 7 dollars an hour roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aislingC21

Hey guys! heading to Cape Cod on 3rd of June myself and one other. Were from Cork, staying in Hyannis in a hotel for first week but will be looking for people to share accommodation with once we get there. Were going later than most so if anyone is set up with accommodation by the time we get there and has room for 2 more give us a shout! Cheers! Also if could get added to that Facebook group it would be great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jinger

Hey,
    Thinking of going to Boston on J1 this year. Best places for jobs and accomodation anyone? Any particular parts of Boston that are recommened? Heard about sublets and frats any suggestions? 4-6 people approx
    Much thanks ✌️:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sophiya1992

Hey me too! I've heard Allston/Brighton are good places for accomodation. Dont ask where it is because I have no idea thats just what i heard haha. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Boston's a university hub, so with the students out-of-town for the summer, it can be quite easy to get 'cheap' accommodation (although still relatively expensive by Irish prices!)

Alston convenient to Boston University and Boston College, so it's the biggest student district in the city.. home of the dodgy basement party for people who aren't quite 21 yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lynniemm

Hey,
    If you are interested in working and traveling in America this summer, check out campleaders.com/ie/
    You'll get to work at a summer camp in America for the summer, your food and accommodation is included, and once you finish your 9-10 weeks of work, you get 30 days to stay and travel! They work with camps all over America, including the Boston area. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kearnc25

Hey all I'm also heading to Boston this summer, I've already got the job sorted i'd appreciate any advice about accommodation, I'm going over by myself i'd be up for sharing accommodation in order to cut down costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jpsssc

hey we're going to boston for the summer too. we're 3 irish gals, looking for fun and maybe more ;)

seriously though any info on accommodation would be sound.

hit us up xo

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rachelrachel95

I am planning to go to Boston with my boyfriend for summer 2015. Is it really hard to get accomodation and jobs? We are hoping to find people to share with aswell to keep the costs down.

Big question is does anyone know the best are to go to in boston? I know loads of irish people go there but don't know which area to be looking at?

Someone get back please and give me some advice please :))

Rachel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Madie94

hey I'm one of three girls heading to Boston for the summer, everyone we've been talking to say Brighton is the place to live but as we're broke college students so just wondering if any fellow irish be up for the craic and getting accomidation with us as some of the rents are crazy prices !!

There is another thread for Boston this year rachel, looking a last years thread it should get active in a few weeks with people looking to share, I know i am myself but have no idea about what area and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kearnc25 wrote: »
    There is another thread for Boston this year rachel, looking a last years thread it should get active in a few weeks with people looking to share, I know i am myself but have no idea about what area and stuff.

Just merged threads there,
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭fruttituttii

Hey, can anyone tell me are you able to get a visa that is similar to a J1? I'm 20 but I'm not a student so cant apply for J1, would love to go over for summer but I cant figure out what visa would be available to me as I don't have a degree. Would appreciate any help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Hi guys! Myself and at least 3 other lads are heading over late May. We would be looking to share accommodation to cut costs and plan on just going on the job hunt when we arrive (Y) Are any of you planning on going without the help of USIT? I've worked it out as only costing 650 euros that way? Only problem appears to be getting this DS-2019 form?

Any help appreciated, looking forward to some good times this summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 john.mac

NoHarm1994 wrote: »
    Hi guys! Myself and at least 3 other lads are heading over late May. We would be looking to share accommodation to cut costs and plan on just going on the job hunt when we arrive (Y) Are any of you planning on going without the help of USIT? I've worked it out as only costing 650 euros that way? Only problem appears to be getting this DS-2019 form?

Thinking of booking it with USIT in the next couple of days when they have the free programme fee thing. Getting the DS-2019 is straightforward enough, went to NYC with SAYIT last year and all I had to do was fill out a couple of pages online once they said to.

Not sure what my plan is for accommodation yet as it depends how many of us are going but hopefully wont be too hard to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

NoHarm1994 wrote: »

Haha that's impossible, you have to have a sponsor to get the J1 (and your DS-2019). Travelbuglimited.ie do a program where you buy your own flights but the program alone costs €539 + flights. I'm paying €1000 all in to NYC, and that's about the cheapest I've ever seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Teelas

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Haha that's impossible, you have to have a sponsor to get the J1 (and your DS-2019). Travelbuglimited.ie do a program where you buy your own flights but the program alone costs €539 + flights. I'm paying €1000 all in to NYC, and that's about the cheapest I've ever seen it.

1000? Which company are you going with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Teelas wrote: »
    1000? Which company are you going with?

SAYIT. I'm flying in May though, which brought the flights down in price.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    SAYIT. I'm flying in May though, which brought the flights down in price.

Thanks. I got quoted €1023 off USIT to New York, that's only if I book today because it's the last day of the free j1, flight dates 23rd May - 10th September.
    The girl was sound, gave me a quote in seconds.
    Sayit were closed at 5.30 so I couldn't get a quote off them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 branIflakes

I sorted out mine through USIT on Wednesday, got the last day of the free programme fee. Costing me about 1100 all in, which is what I expected it to really. Heading out on June 4th from Cork, might see some of ye on the flight!

Anyone planing on sharing accommodation, I heading over on my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mcgeea

Hi, I spent last summer in Boston so I'll try & provide a little help to you guys :)

As soon as you arrive your first priority should be accomadation, rent is very expensive & if possible try & have it sorted before you go.. A lot of letting agencies won't want irish students so try to go for a private let or even check airbnb ! Book an initial hostel for your first few days .. Good safe convenient areas include Quincy, Wollaston, Cambridge, Brighton, Allston, Fenway, Brookline, Cleveland Circle .. In saying this neither myself or the 10 others I lived with had any trouble in any area of Boston it's such a safe city ! In my experience frat houses are quite strict on the number of occupants/noise control & can be far out of the city :/ !

Once that is sorted get your Social Security number sorted and go straight down to near the quincy market area in the city centre .. Not one person I knew had difficulty getting a job ! ( if you want names of particular bars/restaurants let me know ) ..

In any train station you can buy a combined bus/train ticket for $19 that gets you on and off as many trains and buses for a whole week, buy this instead of a Charlie card believe me :P

If you are under 21 don't even try the clubs in Marina Bay etc, never have I seen anywhere as strict on ID ( you'll need your passport all the time ) .. stick to irish bars & you should be ok ! don't even attempt Faneuil Hall without ID though, bouncers don't take any crap like irish ones do !

Hope this helps, any other questions let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

kearnc25 wrote: »
    Anyone planing on sharing accommodation, I heading over on my own.

I'm a 23 year old girl heading over on my own too, looking to share with people to bring the cost down. I've heard Allston and Brighton are the best craic but other than that I have no idea where to start... USIT are taking bookings for accommodation but I'd say they'd charge a fortune for the privilege! :rolleyes: Has anyone started looking for anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gav4321

Me and six other lads are hoping to find decent accommodation in Allston / Brighton area. Hoping to get a house or something for approx 2500 - 3000% per month. Anyone know where to even start?

Ditzie wrote: »
    I'm a 23 year old girl heading over on my own too, looking to share with people to bring the cost down. I've heard Allston and Brighton are the best craic but other than that I have no idea where to start... USIT are taking bookings for accommodation but I'd say they'd charge a fortune for the privilege! :rolleyes: Has anyone started looking for anything yet?

They actually not got anything for boston set up yet and yeah the Allston. Brighton, Cambridge areas are the best to go to

gav4321 wrote: »
    Me and six other lads are hoping to find decent accommodation in Allston / Brighton area. Hoping to get a house or something for approx 2500 - 3000% per month. Anyone know where to even start?

Craigslist would be a place to look

Teelas wrote: »
    Thanks. I got quoted €1023 off USIT to New York, that's only if I book today because it's the last day of the free j1, flight dates 23rd May - 10th September.
    The girl was sound, gave me a quote in seconds.
    Sayit were closed at 5.30 so I couldn't get a quote off them..

Bit of topic here, but in case anyone is reading this looking for a full price. It actually came to €1257... so you will get ripped with usit... and that doesn't include the embassy fee, extra 160 dollars....

That being said, it's an excellent service they run, very professional. Feel like I'm in good hands and you can't put a price on peace of mine imo

• Registered Users Posts: 22 youngmurphy

Hey, myself and another lad are heading out to Boston for the summer. Just wondering where the best places are to stay? Haven't really looked at any thing yet. Would it be dodgey leaving it till we got out there or would it be best to get it sorted before we land?
    Planning to share to keep costs down if there's anyone up for it?? :)

Gavin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gav4321

Anyone know of any handy places to work?

Have heard about Gentle Giant moving company. Travelling with a couple of lads looking for either outdoor / phyiscal work or bar work

thanks

Advertisement