Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 Boston (merged)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lukefitz

Hi People! I'm going over to Boston in early June and have a job sorted already. Looking to share accommodation as prices are super expensive and I'm travelling solo- if anyone is in the same boat get in touch! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Sup lads and ladettes, heading to Boston this summer. Embassy interview tomorrow!

Was supposed to be going as part of a group, but it's starting to look like I may be going solo. Been looking into house shares, seems to be a few options but I was wondering if anyone here heading over is looking for an extra head to cut down on rent?

I've been talking to local boston peoples, have assembled this rating list of neighbourhoods:

>Avoid
    Mattapan, Roxbury, Hyde Park, Dorchester
    >Live here
    East Bostoon (Blue line) South Boston, Allston, Brighton, Quincy (Red line)

Lowest rents I can find for furnished single rooms in places like Quincy and East Boston is around $600 a month, so maybe if we could get a bunch of us living together we might be able to get something cheaper.

As far as employment goes I may have a job sorted in a grilled cheese food truck. And there's a ton of similar trucks around the city, so keep those in mind when you start lookign for jobs!

Also, I went ahead and made an FB group for all the people heading to Boston so we can get coordinated and stuff.

Edit: Ignore the last sentence, one already exists! Silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

hey guys! Anyone ever stayed in MIT frat houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Hi Guys , Heading to Boston this summer on my own .

How is everyone doing looking for accomodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 katieh22

Hey Guys,

Heading to Boston this summer too with two friends. Is anyone looking for 3 housemates or are looking to share a place? so hard to find accommodation..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭gav4321

Has anyone got an experience caddying in Brookline?
    Is there good money to be made / what are the hours like
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Teelas

Teelas wrote: »
    Bit of topic here, but in case anyone is reading this looking for a full price. It actually came to €1257... so you will get ripped with usit... and that doesn't include the embassy fee, extra 160 dollars....

That being said, it's an excellent service they run, very professional. Feel like I'm in good hands and you can't put a price on peace of mine imo

Forgot I actually got a 250€ discount J1 fee with that so it was only 1000...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 scottd123

Anyone have any luck on the accommodation front? Decided 12 days before leaving id better find somwhere to live! 2 lads from Cork. Anyone interested in house sharing or have any tips for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Questionable?

scottd123 wrote: »
    Anyone have any luck on the accommodation front? Decided 12 days before leaving id better find somwhere to live! 2 lads from Cork. Anyone interested in house sharing or have any tips for me?

Definitely look on craigslist, and the property sites Zillow and Trulia are useful too. Just email anywhere that looks suitable really. Brighton, Allston, Brookline are all good places to start looking

• Registered Users Posts: 4 redbull88

Hey guys just gonna head over the pond top Boston for a month or so as wouldn't be able to do full J1, there is 3 of us in total and was wondering about accommodation from end of June to august if anybody has any space or knows best place to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 redbull88

scottd123 wrote: »

Theres 3 of us heading over from cork round end of june if ye are interested in sharing a place ??

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HelenaRose

Heading on a J1 with one other girl this summer does anyone know names of any bars/restaurants in Boston? And has anyone already booked with SAYIT/USIT and are looking for a job through them?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

Depends where you want to work. Some bar/restaurants that take J1ers in the city are the Granary Tavern, Black Rose, Green Dragon, Scholars, The Times and The Bell in Hand. If you want to work outside the city in Brighton (lots of Irish and J1ers) try Porter Belly's, Devlin's and Green Briar. Allston has a place called the Tavern in the Square. Near Southie there's a bar called the Whiskey Priest also. Then there is a heap of places in Cambridge. Ice cream shops are also a good bet but the pay isn't as good. Hope this helps (Y)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 HelenaRose

Thanks a million! I'll get in contact with those places so

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

I was a bit late getting the J1 going :'( I've somehow managed to sort a job in Blue Hills Bank Pavilion on the waterfront, I'm going over with one lad from college but we know a few more over there, just wondering does anyone have any advice on sorting a place ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Craigslist if your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cian casey

Is there any places to take a close look at or to avoid ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Farmer cork

Going on a j1 to Boston (Dorchester area) is where we're going and just wondering how much accommodation is there and any good, gaa(football)clubs there

Advertisement