Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers Age of Extinction

Options
  • 08-12-2011 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭

4th time lucky :rolleyes:
    Michael Bay will apparently return to direct a fourth Transformers film, after he held discussions with series producer, Steven Spielberg, reports Vulture.

It has been a bad trilogy so far, can't believe they are letting him at it again when the potential is there for this to be a huge spectacle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Its all about the $$$:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Everyone who went to see Transformers 3 - despite every sign pointing to the fact that it would, once again, be a steaming pile of dog **** - has only themselves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I watched 3 the other night. Hilariously bad. About half an hour in, I was watching one scene and I started betting with myself about all the things Bay'd have explode. First bet was cars, and they exploded. Then I picked buildings - they exploded too. Then for sh*ts and giggles I guessed that the people running away would explode, and they did!!

Don't forget anyway, Transformers movies are about paper thin plots, woeful Robot dialogue, things exploding, and the transformers must always spin and twist when fighting. Spinning and twisting is so much more important than anything else in the movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's great that they are giving us such long notice. Now I have plenty of time to prepare myself to enjoy it.

*starts banging head against wall*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

it never ends !

(and not in the good way that phrase usually applies to the franchise :) )

as soon as it made a billion it was a no brainer, but i was hoping against hope abramms (spl?) would get it as visually his style is close to bays and he can tell a story to boot.

im sure the action will be great in it.

but im just as sure itll piss all over character and story telling to boot.

sweet jesus would it kill them to do a decent story?

i can only HOPE le beouf is off the franschise but i fear the worst.

by the way, wasnt the rumour that he was gonna do 4 and 5 back to back to save money ?

*shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bay got a deal that a film of his would be released if he did a 4th (probably got a nice cheque, too)

T3 was muck but I did enjoy it somewhat more than the sheer poo that was the 2nd film.

A 4th film was always going to happen, just a pity Bay is at it again. Would've liked to see somebody else take it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Missed opportunity. Christopher Nolan could have made a realistic Transformers movie. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Why couldn't they just leave it or reboot it with a new director. The serious is established in peoples minds now, they might prefer X-men first class type approach to it, I know i would.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Missed opportunity. Christopher Nolan could have made a realistic Transformers movie. :D

He would've actually had them built & fully operational and the only CG used would've been for backgrounds. :pac:

Hans Zimmer would've done the score, too.

Micheal Caine would've voiced an Autobot..............Cockney Prime.

Editing would still be all over the place, though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I for one will look forward to this if it's confirmed. I really enjoyed all the movies..... Granted the storylines and most of the acting was terrible but lets call a spade a spade. These movies were never meant to be best actor oscar nominees ar anything like it. Much like every Bay movie they're about the sheer visual entertainment factor. The cgi, fighting, battles scenes, explosions were fantastic!!! So what if it was all overdone!! They were always intended on being "leave your brain outside the cinema and just enjoy the show" type of movies.

Transformers 4....... Bring on Hot Rod and Unicron!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They were always intended on being "leave your brain outside the cinema and just enjoy the show" type of movies.

There's nothing wrong with the occasional 'leave your brain at the door' sort of film.

There is something wrong with a 'leave your brain at the door' film when the filmmakers personally come and take a **** on your brain, and then sexually abuse it, while you're in the cinema. You come out to find your brain crying and covered in feces, and it's never quite the same again.

Transformers as a franchise is frankly everything that is wrong with cinema summed up in one horrid trilogy.

There is something wrong with a 'leave your brain at the door' film when the filmmakers personally come and take a **** on your brain, and then sexually abuse it, while you're in the cinema. You come out to find your brain crying and covered in feces, and it's never quite the same again.

My hat goes off to you sir!! That was hilarious!!!! Everyone in the office is looking at me wondering why im laughing like a gob****e!! But i still enjoyed the movies and will be excited if a 4th is confirmed with Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Bays films cater to a specific market and more importantly his style of filmmaking is suited to cinema, i.e. big screens and big 6.1 sound. For Transformers 3 to make over a $1bn in the age of torrents is nothing short of amazing tbh. Its no surprise that a studio would allow him to make another film, no matter what a minority think.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Bays films cater to a specific market and more importantly his style of filmmaking is suited to cinema, i.e. big screens and big 6.1 sound. For Transformers 3 to make over a $1bn in the age of torrents is nothing short of amazing tbh. Its no surprise that a studio would allow him to make another film, no matter what a minority think.

Did Dark of the moon make over $1bn or was it the trilogy total?

As a trilogy, it grossed over €2.5bn from a budget of around €500m. The very definition of milking a franchise.

dark of the moon alone took 1.123 BILLION according to box office mojo.

ill admit its better than two, but thats not hard, the main fecking problem is once again its too fupping long and stuffed with crap that couldve been cut out.

not to mention optimus prime is portrayed as a ****ing psychopath.

the blokes character has only been captured once in this franchise and it was the forrest fight in the second.

i cant belive the same character did what he did at the end of DOTM.

BAY has a really fupped up idea of what a hero is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

They'll probably call it 'Trans4mers'

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ill admit its better than two, but thats not hard, the main fecking problem is once again its too fupping long and stuffed with crap that couldve been cut out.

the blokes character has only been captured once in this franchise and it was the forrest fight in the second.

Optimus came off as a psycho for most of the 2nd film too, when he mercilessly executes the decepticon at the start for example. They got the character right in the first film in fairness though, I remember when he kills Megatron at the end he says "Forgive me brother, I had no choice."

That is the Optimus prime I grew up with. :mad:

Colmo52 wrote: »
    They'll probably call it 'Trans4mers'

Hollywood is currently in the process of suing you because they dont want to give you screen credit! :pac:

What are you referencing here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Probably when he killed Shia. I also thought it was very out of character.

I might be remembering it wrong though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think it refers to prime brutally slaughtering every decepticon he comes across and also killing megatron and sentinel when he really didn't have to

Probably when he killed Shia. I also thought it was very out of character.

I might be remembering it wrong though.

Em yes.... you are remembering it VERY wrong!!!!
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think it refers to prime brutally slaughtering every decepticon he comes across and also killing megatron and sentinel when he really didn't have to

Thats not out of character, he know that the only way to end the war and ensure Earth and Humankind were safe was to eliminate the threat once and for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Duggy747 wrote: »
    T3 was muck but I did enjoy it somewhat more than the sheer poo that was the 2nd film.
    Ah here...T2 was excellent, easily rivals Predator for Arnie's best flick ;)

Thats not out of character, he know that the only way to end the war and ensure Earth and Humankind were safe was to eliminate the threat once and for all!

Nah I don't buy that
    Megatron helped him fight Sentinel ffs, if that was in the animated series he would have let Megatron off to fight another day
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nope. Its pretty in character

(and he was more of a cnut in the comics)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

THEY'RE MAKING A 4TH!?
    Geez, what happened to a 'Trilogy' ... 3 movies thats it.

I couldnt even watch the 3rd. And thats saying something. I actually stopped it. What hope does the 4th have? lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Apparently Shia isn't going to be in it. Any chance of focusing on the robots now?
    No?
    Oh well :(

"Mr. Optimus, we need to find more enemies for you to fight. All the old ones are dead,"

hey man.

sorry i didnt get back. ill try to explain it.

optimus prime is a controlled berserker.

he's what wolverine will be if he ever gets over himself (or captain america TBH).

thats why he's so reserved most of the time. NOTHING can stop a fighting mad optimus prime and he knows it, hence why he questions himself so much in the comics and the cartoon.

in the forrest fight he KNEW he had no option but to cut loose as he was sams only hope. that why him cutting loose with such brutality is acceptable as he was desperate.

even when megs got the upperhand in the end his last thought was to seek out sam and when he saw him with his last breath tell him to "runnnnnn* "

that was classic prime, right down to a tee.

now contrast that with the end of DOTM where he executes sentinel prime who's begging for his life

thats NOT prime. thats a raving psycho. bay would NEVER have an american soldier do that.

the end of the great chinholio's clip copperfastens that, prime would not execute a helpless foe if theyre begging - EVEN if its megatron.

he'd take him into custody, turn him over to the humans for crimes againts humanity and THEN execute him :) , but he wouldnt be judge jury and executioner when someones basically gave up.

and as for megatron at the end its doublely true.

the bloke could bearly STAND and he rips his head off ?

its just a complete misunderstanding of the character on the half of bay.

even some of the dialogue he gave him. look at the scene where the bots reveal they didnt die on the xantium.

"we shall KILL THEM ALL ! "

THATs not prime ! if he'd said something like "we shall end this!" i could take that but in the ENTIRE time ive read/watched transformer ive NEVER heard prime talk like that. part of me thinks cullen mustve died a little reading that.

ive no real problem with the level of violence leveld at the deceps in general, but these were character moments and they did not portray a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

They messed him up in part 2 aswell when that Decepticon at the start is injured. That whole "Not today!" bit followed by shooting him the head bit was a bit stupid. Then soon after they have no idea what he was talking about. Would have been a good time to have a captive Decepticon to question, oh yeah he killed his only lead :rolleyes:

Advertisement