Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motors FAQ>Taxation and ownership documents>Buying a car with no tax

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

See above

It does, the transfer has to be done in Shannon, but you can tax online shortly before you actually get the cert.
    you can track the change here

https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/start.do;jsessionid=0aa0114830d870ba5dddf9cc4eb69c85f537ebfc6351.e38PaNaSbhuOay0Lc3aNe0?page=welcome

OP edited to include this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Hey lads, looking for info. I am thinking of buying a second car and the one I am looking at has not been taxed for about 3 months but has not been declared off the road. Would I have to pay the back tax if I buy this car or does the back tax bill disappear with change of ownership?

Moved to FAQs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You are only liable for tax from the beginning of the month that ownership transfers to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AJB23

I've agreed to sell my car and will be meeting the buyer tomorrow to complete the sale. However the tax is out of date since Dec '13 and has been off the road since (although not declared off the road). Can somebody advise if I'm liable to bring the arrears up to date or will the new owner need to back tax it?

Thanks in advance.

The arrears will disappear once you sell the car and ownership transfers to the new owner. Neither you or the new owner will be liable for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 AJB23

Thanks Bazz!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

I have just purchased a second hand car, private sale.

The car has no tax or NCT since about this time last year. The seller had registered the vehicle for non-use, however he could not find the relevant documentation to back this up...

I would like to get the car road legal asap. Insurance is sorted already. But I would like to get the car taxed then NCT'd as quickly as I can.

I have my VRC (log book) filled out and ready to go. The usual procedure, as far as I am aware, is to send this to Shannon, wait 2/3 weeks for the new VRC to come back and then carry on as normal. The usual procedure that I mention here is usually when the vehicle is taxed and NCT'd.

Do I have to follow the above procedure and wait the 2/3 weeks before I can tax (and drive) the car? If I were to present myself in the Motor Tax office with VRC & Insurance details, can I tax it there and then and send the VRC to Shannon after this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

Thanks for moving my query to this FAQ thread.

Just to clarify, the car needs to be registered in my name before I can tax the car either online Or in person? So there is no point in taking a half day from work to sit around the tax office all day tomorrow I take it?

The first post above says that 'You can tax the car in the tax office using an RF100A form' - but just to confirm, this is NOT the case if the car is not yet registered under my name?? Is this correct?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

thudd wrote: »
    I have just purchased a second hand car, private sale.

The car has no tax or NCT since about this time last year. The seller had registered the vehicle for non-use, however he could not find the relevant documentation to back this up...

I would like to get the car road legal asap. Insurance is sorted already. But I would like to get the car taxed then NCT'd as quickly as I can.

I have my VRC (log book) filled out and ready to go. The usual procedure, as far as I am aware, is to send this to Shannon, wait 2/3 weeks for the new VRC to come back and then carry on as normal. The usual procedure that I mention here is usually when the vehicle is taxed and NCT'd.

Do I have to follow the above procedure and wait the 2/3 weeks before I can tax (and drive) the car? If I were to present myself in the Motor Tax office with VRC & Insurance details, can I tax it there and then and send the VRC to Shannon after this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

You can bring the filled in ownership document to tax office, tax car and they will keep the document and send it off for you. Get new ownership cert in your name couple weeks after.

That's what I did recently. Tax office were fine with it.

D'oh. I wish I had checked back on this thread before posting the completed cert off to Shannon this morning. I have a photocopy of the cert but I suspect this won't suffice.

I guess I'll just wait til next week until I see the change made here: https://www.motortax.ie/PSE/ and then tax it online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Can someone clarifythe following for me please: bought a car on April 1st (not a fools day joke) transfer of ownership only completed yesterday (may 1st) as I was not registered as the owner for that period until yesterday how do I go about declaring it off the road back to the day of purchase???as I am over the 10 day threshold. :confused:

do I just leave it untaxed and contact no one so or what???car is not in use at all,its garaged since purchase and even then it was transported on the back of a tow truck and it is by that method it will be landed on my private property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

if you leave it untaxed you will have to pay the back tax back to the month of purchase shold you tax it in the future...unless of course you chose to sell it in the meantime......

corktina wrote: »
    if you leave it untaxed you will have to pay the back tax back to the month of purchase shold you tax it in the future...unless of course you chose to sell it in the meantime......
    yeah I plan to do that alright ;) that aside,will I get any warnings/letters etc about it not being taxed etc.

I don't think so

• Advertisement

They may send a "Final Reminder" about tax in a month or so. But those can be safely ignored.

The problems only start if you attempt to tax it.

Thanks fred and tina,that car will be lucky to see the road before 2015 at this stage with the exception of bringing it to the nct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭Thelostcountry

Hi Guys.

I recently bought a vehicle that I previously owned(long story) before I sold it , it was off the road for about 4 months, I never got the SORN form to declare this.

My question is , when I go to Tax it, am I liable to pay them four months arrears ??

Cheers.

Has there been an owner on the book since?
    Ie was it in your name, then someone else, then you again?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Has there been an owner on the book since?

Hi

Yes .

You're only liable from the month of the start of your most recent ownership period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You're only liable from the month of the start of your most recent ownership period.
    Correct, or he may declare it off the road retrospectavly within ten days of becoming the registered owner

Cool.
    Thanks Guys.

Cheers guys.

Taxed the van there last week, NO Arrears to pay!
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Going to see a car later, NCT'ed but no road tax, not sure when it ran out, guy on phone said the tax would start when the new owner bought the car, presume it's been off the road but does anyone know if this would be correct, I thought they put a stop to all that 'not having to tax a vehicle if it's off the road' stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yes. New owner is not obliged to pay any arrears. You pay from the first month ownership was transferred to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh, well that's good news, thought it sounded dodgy!! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Hi,

Looking at buying a car but the car registration isn't in the current owners name. If I get it in my name will I be liable for any back tax?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

martyoo wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking at buying a car but the car registration isn't in the current owners name. If I get it in my name will I be liable for any back tax?

Why would you buy a car off some one who's name isn't on the log book?

• Advertisement

bit risky..

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Ok so am buying a car that has been off the road since January. Do I have to go to the road tax office with my new papers or can I do my first tax online. Just notice they are looking for a pin. Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Did you receive the log book yet? If not, wait for it and you have 10 days from then to either pay tax at the office or do it online.
    You can request the pin by emailing them too!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Just wondering if i buy a car that's out of tax do i have to back tax it or just tax it from when i bought it? Thanks

No, you don't. Only from the month you purchase the car.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    No, you don't. Only from the month you purchase the car.

Do i just bring in the log book?

the seller will be posting off the log book. Keep on eye out online and as soon as the changeover is on there, you can tax online by doing a PIN retrieval

corktina wrote: »
    the seller will be posting off the log book. Keep on eye out online and as soon as the changeover is on there, you can tax online by doing a PIN retrieval

Will he not just give me the log book when i buy it?

Some motor tax offices will allow the seller to change ownership to the new owner over the counter and then the new owner can tax it there and then too. But the seller is not to give the logbook to the new owner.

I'll see later so. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Will the seller be liable for the unpaid tax if they sell the car?

Will the seller be liable for the unpaid tax if they sell the car?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Migworks

Just reading through this thread. Buying a car tomorrow that was last taxed in May. 2014, it's a bit more expensive than our original budget but I figured once I've driven it home ill leave it on the drive till aug 1st and tax it then. I presume it isn't that simple anymore?
    So the seller gets me to sign and date log book, he or I posts that off so there is a record of date of sale, and within a week I should be able to see my name in the system online, but as I'm buying at a higher price, I can't afford to tax it till aug. Have I no choice? Seems I'd only declare it off road then would be declaring back on road within a few days?
    Am I right in thinking this is the only way to avoid paying back tax for July?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Migworks wrote: »
    Just reading through this thread. Buying a car tomorrow that was last taxed in May. 2014, it's a bit more expensive than our original budget but I figured once I've driven it home ill leave it on the drive till aug 1st and tax it then. I presume it isn't that simple anymore?
    So the seller gets me to sign and date log book, he or I posts that off so there is a record of date of sale, and within a week I should be able to see my name in the system online, but as I'm buying at a higher price, I can't afford to tax it till aug. Have I no choice? Seems I'd only declare it off road then would be declaring back on road within a few days?
    Am I right in thinking this is the only way to avoid paying back tax for July?

You can only declare it off the road for 3 months, so that might won't work for you.
    From the day you receive the logbook, you have 10 days to tax the car.
    So let's say the selling date will be towards middle of the month + a week until you receive the logbook+ 10 days should bring you into August.
    So it could work that way to tax the car from August on :)
    Did it like that myself one time and no hassle at all

• Advertisement
Advertisement