Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-06-2012, 18:21   #1
Woodward

Mens Rights Thread

Ok I'm pretty new here but I havent been able to find a thread on this topic

Are any of you here involved in the Mens Rights or Masculinist Movements? Is there any organised male orientated rights associations in Ireland except for Fathers Rights?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-06-2012, 01:44   #2
iptba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodward View Post

Are any of you here involved in the Mens Rights or Masculinist Movements? Is there any organised male orientated rights associations in Ireland except for Fathers Rights?
I'm interested in the issue. But not aware of any groups .
Thanks from:
15-06-2012, 01:51   #3
PucaMama

Quote:

the anti-women kind?
(2) thanks from:
15-06-2012, 01:59   #4
Woodward

Quote:
Originally Posted by PucaMama View Post
the anti-women kind?

No, the mens liberation kind. I dont know of any that are anti women although there are many people who are anti radical feminism. Masculinism is about freeing men from gender stereotypes and the pressure to 'man up' and suppress their emotions and act 'manly'
15-06-2012, 02:07   #5
PucaMama

Quote:
Quote:
the anti-women kind?

No, the mens liberation kind. I dont know of any that are anti women although there are many people who are anti radical feminism. Masculinism is about freeing men from gender stereotypes and the pressure to 'man up' and suppress their emotions and act 'manly'
Oh I see I dont think ive heard of them but u never know they are more than likely around somewhere
Advertisement
15-06-2012, 10:18   #6
General Relativity

Quote:
the anti-women kind?
No. The kind that wan't equal rights for men around the areas of childcare, paternity leave, insurance, etc.
15-06-2012, 12:13   #7
py2006

I don't believe their is such an organisation. It would most likely be laughed at or ridiculed from certain other groups or suggestions made about its ethos like the poster above.
15-06-2012, 12:45   #8
Woodward

Quote:
Originally Posted by py2006 View Post
I don't believe their is such an organisation. It would most likely be laughed at or ridiculed from certain other groups or suggestions made about its ethos like the poster above.

Do you think there would be enough interest to establish one? I know it is a pretty big movement on youtube and reddit but a lot of those activists are from the US where the problem is much, much worse. Some callers in on radio stations and talk shows have hinted at the issues the MRM deal with but I dont know if an Irish mens rights organization could get off the ground
15-06-2012, 13:29   #9
py2006

I think those that would be interested in such a group would be men who have fallen foul to the legal system in relation to divorce and children etc. Which from reading boards over the years would seem to be quite a lot.

Aside from that, it would be difficult to get a lot of men involved because men 'just don't care' strongly enough about those things. I'd like to think I am wrong on this.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-06-2012, 16:59   #10
Piliger

Quote:
Do you think there would be enough interest to establish one? I know it is a pretty big movement on youtube and reddit but a lot of those activists are from the US where the problem is much, much worse. Some callers in on radio stations and talk shows have hinted at the issues the MRM deal with but I dont know if an Irish mens rights organization could get off the ground
It's an excellent idea but unfortunately Men have become incredibly passive in recent decades, as they have been pounded by the women's movements. The result is that they don't stand up for themselves until they themselves are screwed.

The whole divorce court setup, the fathers rights, paternity leave and other issues are hurting thousands and thousands of guys every year but at the moment it's not seen as cool to fight back.

It will take a few guys with balls enough to persevere to get this kind of group off the ground I fear.
16-06-2012, 01:40   #11
Piste

I would completely support a men's right's movement. I'd think it sad that it would have to be seperate from the Irish Feminist Network or any women's right movement. It'd be nice to have an all-encompassing Gender Egalitarianism movement that discussed, lobbied for and raised awareness of gender issues affecting both men and women.
16-06-2012, 10:11   #12
Woodward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piste View Post
I would completely support a men's right's movement. I'd think it sad that it would have to be seperate from the Irish Feminist Network or any women's right movement. It'd be nice to have an all-encompassing Gender Egalitarianism movement that discussed, lobbied for and raised awareness of gender issues affecting both men and women.

Ideally that would be the case but the gender feminists are too deeply engrained in the whole feminist movement to allow that to happen. Their obsession with patriarchy and post modernist thinking means the are by and large opposed to the mens rights movement and do not cooperate, at least in my experience
16-06-2012, 17:53   #13
Piliger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piste View Post
Sadly that is a pipe dream. Most of the agenda of IFN and other similar organisations is to marginalise and demonise men and our rights.
16-06-2012, 18:11   #14
Tym

Quote:
I know it is a pretty big movement on youtube and reddit but a lot of those activists are from the US where the problem is much, much worse.
Hmmm some would say America is rather patriarchal?
Thanks from:
16-06-2012, 19:01   #15
Piste

Quote:
Ideally that would be the case but the gender feminists are too deeply engrained in the whole feminist movement to allow that to happen. Their obsession with patriarchy and post modernist thinking means the are by and large opposed to the mens rights movement and do not cooperate, at least in my experience
To be honest I haven't found a lot of feminists to be against men's rights per se, just ignorant of the areas in which men are at a disadvantage compared to women. I'd imagine were it more well known how men are disadvantaged when it comes to family law then there would be more women on their side. Of course there will be those who see male disadvantage as the price men have to pay for male privilege and there will always be a "you made your bed so lie in it" mentality.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion